Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
wow... heavy scratches!. how'd you manage to get those?
You can try removing your back cover and take a picture without it. That scratched piece of glass is attached to the back cover. I dont think that's an actual lens.. it's more for protection. the actual camera lens is inside

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Would I lose warranty if I removed the back cover? What do you think?

Check out the video I posted a couple of pages back. It will teach you to remove the cover. And yes, while the 930 camera isn't as stellar as people were expecting, those HEAVY scratches are affecting the picture quality because the inside camera lenses aren't being able to properly focus.

Istvan Szitas

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I read on various forums that rubbing the outer lens with nail polish remover will remove the scratches. I'm a little bit afraid of doing this but some say it is useful.

And another question. Will I be able to safely turn the phone on and take a photo without its cover?

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I would not use solvents on the phone. I dont think scratches can ve fixed by using acetone.
Regarding your second questions: yes. The cover only has the NFC and wireless charging attached, so the phone works fine without them

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
there are some covers on ebay to buy.
Maybe you can just buy the transparent lens cover, and replace it yourself. It might be cheaper. I dont know how easy it is to replace it.

Of course, you could send you phone to be repaired, but I dont know how long will it take or how expensive it might be. i dont think these kind of damages are covered by warranty. I doubt it

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I removed the back cover. Before, after photosView attachment 94443View attachment 94444

The result is great. What now? Service? New rear cover?

Ye, new rear cover.
You could sent it to Service but it's not on the warranty so you'll have to pay for it.

Alternatively, you can buy a new cover on ebay and replace it yourself. Here's a link to help get you started.
New Original Rear Cover Back Battery Case Cover For Nokia Lumia 930 Black | eBay

HOWEVER I should point out that those covers on eBay don't bring the wireless charging coils or NFC stickers. Which means you'll have to move the one from your phone to those. They're stickers and can be moved BUT if you're not comfortable doing so, then it's best to take the phone to Service as they're professionals and you won't risk your warranty (because if you mess up the moving of the Qi or NFC stickers, your warranty will be voided as the 930 isn't sold as a phone with a removable back and, therefore, users aren't supposed to be messing around with that)

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I was suggesting that you can just use the glass lens cover from the new cover and replace it on your original cover. So no need to move NFC or wireless charging parts

Istvan Szitas

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
But it's more like a faulty lens for me because I cannot feel the scratches when I touch it and I was always careful. And the warranty only not covers defects caused by improper usage.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
But it's more like a faulty lens for me because I cannot feel the scratches when I touch it and I was always careful. And the warranty only not covers defects caused by improper usage.

The problem is: how do you prove that YOU didn't make the scratches? That's the problem. They'll certainly take the chance to take money from you as you will not be able to prove that you didn't make them.

metrichye

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi All!

On 10.12.2014 I've bought a new, factory unlocked Nokia Lumia 930 phone from a former-employee of the Hungarian Nokia factory in Komarom, the phones were given as gifts to the ~1600 ex-workers when the factory was closed due to Microsoft's decision.
I've bought this phone mainly due to it's future camera capabilities (promised 4k with Denim), with Windows Cyan I was very disappointed with the low light video recording ability, even with Denim it's worse than with my Lumia 920 it has poorer camera! The screen and the recorded video is flickering and becoming purple-ish!

Moreover: Last week the phone updated itself to Windows Phone 8.1 Denim, so I've set the video recording to 2160p-30fps as the software allowed me to do that. I've tested it a couple of times by recording 1-2 minute videos, it worked ok (still disappointed with the low light videos).

On last Saturday (24.01.2015) I was trying to record a ~20 minute video from a tripod stand (good ventillation all around) about our salsa dancing performance, but the phone failed to do it, my Nokia Lumia 930 overheated during 4k recording!
I only noticed it after our performance as some of the audience told me that the phone displayed that it has overheated so it has stopped the recording after ~14 minutes!!!
Before the recording I set the phone to airplane mode and I closed all the background applications to dedicate all the hardware power to video recording!
I've lost minutes of unrepeatable moments! What can I do? It's unacceptable, it's a flagship device, but it disappoints the customers!

Does anybody have the same experience with 4k recording?

Moreover: The upper left-side of the screen came off ~2mm from the plane of the metal, I've read on forums that it is due to poor quality screen fixing glue; it can cause not only visual issue but the proximity sensor to fail, by this e.g. not able to end a phonecall!
The battery drains very fast and the back side of the phone is too hot to hold it while using it!

I've read in a forum that even though my phone is not originated from a mobile shop (so it doesn't have a stamp on the warranty card) I can take it to the nearest Nokia Care point. (120 km from my home town...) Is it true? Do i need to write an e-mail about it to a central e-mail or so? What's the e-mail address?

Microsoft's website shows to me (from the IMEI number) that my phone has warranty!

Thanks for your help!

Richard Mark NAGY

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've bought this phone mainly due to it's future camera capabilities (promised 4k with Denim), with Windows Cyan I was very disappointed with the low light video recording ability, even with Denim it's worse than with my Lumia 920 it has poorer camera! The screen and the recorded video is flickering and becoming purple-ish!

That's a generic problem of the 930. The three 930's I've already have all had the same problem (I'm waiting on the new unit as I had to had it replaced...again!).

On last Saturday (24.01.2015) I was trying to record a ~20 minute video from a tripod stand (good ventillation all around) about our salsa dancing performance, but the phone failed to do it, my Nokia Lumia 930 overheated during 4k recording!

That is normal. ALL phones that record on 4K overheat after a while because 4K demands a lot from the processor and remember: smartphones don't have fans to cool down the system.
I don't know how Microsoft implemented 4K on the 930 (as mine was sent to replacement before I got Denim), but my Z3Compact from Sony actually gives a warning when it starts to heat up and then shuts down before the phone starts to overheat.
There's really nothing you can do about it. The best you can do is, next time, record thing in 1080p. Unless you have a 4K TV, there's little point in shooting with 4K anyway.

Moreover: The upper left-side of the screen came off ~2mm from the plane of the metal, I've read on forums that it is due to poor quality screen fixing glue; it can cause not only visual issue but the proximity sensor to fail, by this e.g. not able to end a phonecall!
The battery drains very fast and the back side of the phone is too hot to hold it while using it!

The 930 I've left for replacement was sent precisely because of the lifting of the screen. You have to get it replaced.

And yes, the 930's battery s*cks big time. And that's because the phone has a miserable 2400mAh battery to support a 5" 1080p screen. It's simply not enough (My Z3C has a 2600mAh battery for a 4.7" 720p screen...result: I have 2 days of battery life on the phone. The 930 doesn't last me 24 hours).

I've read in a forum that even though my phone is not originated from a mobile shop (so it doesn't have a stamp on the warranty card) I can take it to the nearest Nokia Care point. (120 km from my home town...) Is it true? Do i need to write an e-mail about it to a central e-mail or so? What's the e-mail address?

As long as you have proof of purchase, you can take it to a Care Centre. Some Care Centres, however, require that the IMEI of the phone is written on the proof of purchase. However, since Microsoft's website shows you the phone is within the warranty, I suggest you also print that page, just as a precaution and take it with you.
Normally you have to take the phone to the Care Centre yourself.
But given the distance between you and it, I'd suggest you contact Microsoft's support in your country to see what can be done. I'm not sure how Microsoft will implement the Care for their phones, but the Surface Care has a service that picks up the hardware from you at your home address. Maybe they can sort it so that you can also have your phone collected.

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I record video in FHD (1080p) because its great quality and you had better zoom while record..

4K using for moment capture, for thats is great and as its always 5-6 sec long it will not overheat...

Any smartfone with 4K record overheat some time. So thats not bug...

I have orange one for 4 days and found this bugs so far:
most serious is screen - upper right its darker (see on white background, ussualy reading osme news, forums etc)
another bug - back cover on bottoms corner cracks.

So far so good. If my screen will lift in time I will RMA with thats 2 defects too. But for now i can live with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720