Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

X54TH

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I must be really lucky I guess. I've had zero issues from the day I got it to the latest Denim update. I've been a Windows Phone user for a number of years and have to say the 930 has given me the best experience yet.

dhruvmendiratta

May 31, 2014
Visit site
this is actually pretty sad and pathetic. I just bought a lumia 930 4 days ago, and tried to use the front cam yesterday using the lumia camera app. To my horror, it wasnt able to capture the image. It just hung and did nothing. On closing the app and trying to open it again, the app just said "Something went wrong" and did not even open after that. I then tried using Lumia camera classic and Microsoft Camera, and all were in dead state, not opening at all.
After doing a soft reset, I again tried the front cam, but the same freaking result. I finally decided to do a Hardware Reset, hoping that surely that would fix the issue, but NO.

Whats EVEN worse is that I tried to contact the Nokia store from where I bought it demanding a new phone, and THEY declined saying that they have a 48 hours policy of providing a new phone. I will have to come down and leave it for repair. Imagine, a new phone in repair after four days, and basically being without a phone till they fix it.

:(

kirilovkk

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
So I bought this phone (RIP my old Lumia 820) and after a couple of days use I'm starting to feel disappointed. This phone is not something you would call a "flagship" device. I didn't read the entire topic but these are the "bugs" I have found out so far:
1) Screen "jitters" like old PC monitor when you put your old GSM near and it starts ringing. Apparently this happens only when I use mobile data and my operator doesn't have 3G coverage. This is not a big deal because most of the time I use Wi-Fi or my operator does have 3G coverage, but I didn't expected such a thing from a "flagship" device. Also the jitters stops when I cover the phone top and bottom end (where the antennas are) with my fingers. The moment I move my fingers, the jitters starts again. I really hope this is a software problem, but I'm sure it's not. :(
2) Navigation keys vibration is just awful. On my old Lumia 820 it was so smooth and nice. Why it has to be this way now?
3) The micro USB and the 3.5 mm audio ports are a bit misaligned.
4) The moment when I start a phone call, there's a some kind of "click" sound coming from the speaker (not the back big speaker but this speaker for phone calls).
5) Sometimes the screen "flashes". For example when I browse internet and I scroll sometimes (rarely) the screen just "flashes". Also when I enter in the mailbox and open some email, on the phone screen appears some kind of disturbance in the form of a "line" a few centimeters below the middle of the screen. This does not happen with all emails, but happens everytime with the same emails (so far I have noticed it happens only with emails with 2 or 3 rows of text).

I want to point out that my old Lumia 820 didn't have any of these problems or bugs. And I REALLY hope, that this "jittering" and "flashing" and "click" noise CAN and WILL be fixed with a future software update.

E50

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
It's really sad because there is so many defected phones, go change it to another. I don't understand, I don't have any of the problems you just wrote.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
​I have my 930 for 4 months and the only problem was the screen lift at the upper left corner, I send it to repair and since then zero issues.

Hirak Ghosh

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I just purchased a new Lumia 930, after purchase I updated it to Lumia Denim.But after that the screen has been flickering during phone calls (Both incoming & outgoing), during photo slideshows...

Ratonn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
All of the sudden a green appeared on my screen. Right on the lower right side next to the camera button. Never had an issue with my 930 so far but this is really bad...in dark scenes u can't really notice it but with white screen backgrounds there's just no way of not stare at it! What to do? Send it to repair?

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 930 since October last year. With Cyan it was not so great, but since Denim and latest dev preview its a great device. I'm really happy with it. Its smooth, 2 days on battery and the screen is nice. Flickering not gone 100%, but happens rarely. Camera quality is very good and snappy too.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
All of the sudden a green appeared on my screen. Right on the lower right side next to the camera button. Never had an issue with my 930 so far but this is really bad...in dark scenes u can't really notice it but with white screen backgrounds there's just no way of not stare at it! What to do? Send it to repair?
Yes, of course send it in for repair. This is a warranty case, right?

L0cke

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 930 for a few days now and only really seeing one issue, and that is with text being slightly blurred when scrolling. Even when scrolling slowly you can see the text blur and almost leave a very small trail. Maybe this is just amoled, but surely shouldn't be this way. It's more prominent in certain apps so am hoping this is a software issue. Does anyone see this? as I'd hate for this to be a hardware issue.

EDIT: So, after looking closer and testing a bit more I have other issues.

1. The bottom third of the screen has a slight yellow tint, and no amount of brightness or colour tweaking can sort that.

2. The screen occasionally flickers, but mostly when on Edge connection, which I get frequently in my area.

These and the amount of blurring when scrolling means it's gone back and I don't think I'll be getting another or any other windows phone, as the 930 was the only one that appealed to me. Maybe I'll be back another day.

Last edited:

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear I'm not the only one seeing those awful things on my 930. Here's a list of things I've seen since I got mine approximately 1 month ago - I'd like I did not have any of these issues on my 2 year old 920:
1. As Kirilovkk already said, it's hard to call this phone a flagship. First thing I noticed is the display quality. One of the worst I've used: blurryness everywhere when scrolling, it's just awful. Lots of trail as well. It looks like a very cheap display! and we still don't get glance...
2. tap to wake is also awful. the 920 wakes up instantly while it's a hit or miss on the 930. And when it works, it's 2sec late.
3. sometimes, it just won't connect to wifi... why? I don't know. reset and it works. reminds me of the old windows xp that would bug down for no reasons.
4. same with 3G. sometimes, I won't get it. Reset and it works. I'm really getting tired of playing reset manager on my supposedly flagship phone
5. this morning, volume keys were unresponsive. Actually, the volume keys are sometimes unresponsive when the display is turned off. I need to turn it on to be able to change the volume up or down. tiring!
6. back speaker does a weird clicking sound when it goes to sleep. once again very weird
7. battery saver most of the time forget when I did my last charge (showing 0h). Very convenient to track your battery life...
8. overheating! play carcassonne for 15 minutes with my girlfriend, she almost got burnt when trying to hold the phone... unacceptable!

these are the issues I'm seeing piling up everyday. and I don't think it's only mine considering the amount of people complaining about their 930. it's just a bad device, period. probably my last wp actually. I'm willing to live with the app gap and slow updates as long as my phone is performing well. and when a flagship phone is such a joke, then I'm running out of patience.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Although I do recognize a lot of the "issues" you mention I don't hate my 930 because of it.

1: Blurryness when scrolling? I don't really get bothered by it. I scroll and I read when done scrolling
2: Tap to wake does have its quirks, but I don't use it that often
3: Won't connect to wifi may be a result of the network you're trying to connect to as well. I do recognize that issue, but only on my home wifi where I have issues with other devices as well
4: Doesn't ring a bell
5: Fortunately never had such an issue
6: Weird clicking when going to sleep? I think this is a feature of Windows Phone: go to sleep and briefly click
7: Que?
8: Yes, it gets hot. Yes, it is a waste of battery life. Yes, it is unfortunate. Get almost burnt while holding the phone? That's hard to believe!

I got my girlfriend a 930 as well, so she can use it in the kitchen to cook my food on. :)

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I really like my 930. I always said it's not a flagship device but definitely it is the best Windows Phone device available, and the price is (FINALLY) acceptable|reasonable.

Screen flickering is annoying.
3 explanations:
1) It is a design flaw, and no update can address this issue.
2) Denim made it a common problem, but the next major firmware update or a small - bug fixing - update will fix it.
3) MS is aware of this issue, but they are pretending to be deaf and blind. There won't be a fix.

Last edited:

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, to each his own. I do "hate" it because my 920 did not have those problems apart from the overheating issue. When you switch from a 2 year old phone to a supposed flagship, you expect more. I feel like I actually downgraded my phone instead of upgrading it.

Now, if you are okay with this, good for you. I'd love to like this phone as well but I just can't. When you are used to a certain quality, it's hard to use something less good. If the 930 would have been an entry level phone, i wouldn't even bother and would accept the flaws but not at this price. Unfortunately, no one wants to buy it so i'm stuck. I'll just use it until it dies from an "accidental" drop...

1. yeah, i have always read while scrolling and it's not going to change. therefore, this issue will always be there for me. However, I do understand it doesn't bother everyone. I did use a N9 in the past and didn't have that problem either btw (amoled screen as well)
3. could be a faulty network, however it doesn't explain why rebooting the phone fixes the problem instead of rebooting the router. Besides, I have no issues with my other devices on my home wifi (surface pro, macbook, xbox 360 or 920) just the 930. Same at work.
5. happened only once so far. but it's a sign it may still happen
6. I have had WP for more than 2 years, I know the difference between the little click and the cracking noise. Yeah, it's more of a cracking noise, not a click, bad explanation on my side :)
7. in battery saver you have the estimated remaining time and the time since last charge. it happens very frequently that the time since last charge gets reset to 0. even if I've been using my phone for almost a full day... this shows something is also wrong in the software. Denim?
8. okay, not burn, that was exaggerating. It does get hot in lots of situations but it's always tolerable. However, in the very specific situation i described (playing the game carcassonne) my GF could not hold the phone as it was way too hot. And she uses a 920 that gets really hot when playing farmville and she almost never complains. It's the first time i saw her pick up the phone and drop it immediately.

so yeah, it is what it is. some like it, i just don't. too bad the camera is really good and the form factor is almost perfect (still a bit too thick though). I definitely think the 830 is a better deal.

dibsbibs

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm the same except for the colour on the screen near my own 930's camera button is yellow! Sad but glad at the same time someone else is having this problem. I'll be taking Plantje up on his advice.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, to each his own. I do "hate" it because my 920 did not have those problems apart from the overheating issue. When you switch from a 2 year old phone to a supposed flagship, you expect more. I feel like I actually downgraded my phone instead of upgrading it.

Now, if you are okay with this, good for you. I'd love to like this phone as well but I just can't. When you are used to a certain quality, it's hard to use something less good. If the 930 would have been an entry level phone, i wouldn't even bother and would accept the flaws but not at this price. Unfortunately, no one wants to buy it so i'm stuck. I'll just use it until it dies from an "accidental" drop...

1. yeah, i have always read while scrolling and it's not going to change. therefore, this issue will always be there for me. However, I do understand it doesn't bother everyone. I did use a N9 in the past and didn't have that problem either btw (amoled screen as well)
3. could be a faulty network, however it doesn't explain why rebooting the phone fixes the problem instead of rebooting the router. Besides, I have no issues with my other devices on my home wifi (surface pro, macbook, xbox 360 or 920) just the 930. Same at work.
5. happened only once so far. but it's a sign it may still happen
6. I have had WP for more than 2 years, I know the difference between the little click and the cracking noise. Yeah, it's more of a cracking noise, not a click, bad explanation on my side :)
7. in battery saver you have the estimated remaining time and the time since last charge. it happens very frequently that the time since last charge gets reset to 0. even if I've been using my phone for almost a full day... this shows something is also wrong in the software. Denim?
8. okay, not burn, that was exaggerating. It does get hot in lots of situations but it's always tolerable. However, in the very specific situation i described (playing the game carcassonne) my GF could not hold the phone as it was way too hot. And she uses a 920 that gets really hot when playing farmville and she almost never complains. It's the first time i saw her pick up the phone and drop it immediately.

so yeah, it is what it is. some like it, i just don't. too bad the camera is really good and the form factor is almost perfect (still a bit too thick though). I definitely think the 830 is a better deal.

The solution to blur motion on text scrolling with oled screen is using extra refreshes (higher Hz) but with a 1080p display on a phone with battery limitations is very difficult thats why almost every oled screen have this problem, my 930 and my 925 have it.
My 930 doesn't have any of the problems that you describe and I'm sure that if you talk with any 930 user that come from a 925 none of them complains about the heat issue, I play a lot with my phone (death trigger 2, Modern Combat 5, Dungeon Hunter 5) and my phone don't get as hot as my 925.

doggis85

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 930 has started to play a jingle while I'm calling... It sort of sounds like a skype-ish way of waiting for someone to pick up, but it keeps jingling through my whole conversation.. For the record, it seems to have appeared after I installed update 2. And, yes I have tried uninstalling Skype - and even TrueCaller...

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Really hard to believe. My 930 has po problems since February when I got it and almost instantly it got the Denim.
No screen flickering, great battery life and everything is working 100% OK and I am really happy with the phone.
It's really sad that you have such a lot of problems, guys.
Out of curiosity... are your phones brand new units, bought at the official stores or from the operator or pre-owned ones ?

Pranjal Patowary

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I got mine from Flipkart for Rs 27000/- on 24.03.2015. After using it over a month and updating to Update 2, the phone is flawless so far. Battery life is quite decent and lasts for more than a day. I am particularly impressed with the camera quality, the call quality and the build quality. However Nokia could have provided expandable memory slot. 32gb(29 gb usable) is so less nowadays.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion