06-08-2014 04:52 PM
145 12345 ...
tools
    There's nothing good about the lack of microSD. Nothing.
    You never know if people who don't need it may argue that having one is a waste of resources, increases the price, etc... Their opinion... You can't say that they are wrong when this is totally a subjective matter.
    06-01-2014 06:34 AM
    You never know if people who don't need it may argue that having one is a waste of resources, increases the price, etc... Their opinion... You can't say that they are wrong when this is totally a subjective matter.
    You talk as if they're bundling a Kinect with it or something. No, MicroSD is a trivial feature that has been standard for cellphones for nearly a decade. It's old technology that only gets neglected to lock down the phone more than it already is.
    DJCBS likes this.
    06-01-2014 07:33 AM
    Your mileage may vary, but you can get about 2000-2500 pictures or 4-5 hours of HD video, or 7000 mp3 songs on the 930 before it runs out of space. If you fill up the roughly 27GB available with 50% apps + music, that still leaves room for 1000+ pictures.

For me, that's more than enough space until i can connect up to my laptop / OneDrive via WiFi to upload content.
    poiman likes this.
    06-01-2014 08:59 AM
    I believe it all comes down to the number of intense graphic games and number of music albums you have on your phone.

I personally don't see the point of having an entire music collection on a phone. Two or three new albums that I feel like they fit my mood in a given moment are enough and if for some reason I want to listen to something else I can listen to it in the cloud, so 500mb of music are enough for me at a time.

Games is the same. Who needs more than 3 intense graphic games at the same time? I play a game, finish it, delete it and start a new one. If I want to play some again later, just download it again.
    Some of us are on limited data packages and don't have access to Wi-Fi on a consistent basis. The cloud may work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.
    06-01-2014 10:23 AM
    The 5C is the refurbished version of the 5 which, unlike previous phones, was removed. So you basically have one phone per generation, unlike on Android and Windows Phone. Currently on Apple you have the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5C is last years iPhone 5 and the 4S is the one from 2 years ago.

So it makes no sense talking about an iPhone "flagship" when you have only 1 phone per generation. If you go considering the refurbished 5 and the 4S, you'd also go considering the 920 and the 800 as well as the S4, S3, S2 etc. I don't think it makes sense. The 920 is the flagship of the 2nd generation of Nokia Lumia devices. The L930 is the flagship of the 3rd generation of Nokia Lumias (which this time has only 2 phones). Whatever Microsoft Mobile produces next will be the first generation of Microsoft Lumia devices which will most likely have Goldfinger as the flagship.
    The M8 is HTC's current flagship of 2014 devices. The S5 is Samsungs.

As for the iPhone, we MAY see the first REAL iPhone flagship if the rumours about the launch of 2 new iPhones this year - the iPhone 6 and the iPhablet - come true.
    You don't know what "refurbished" actually means, do you? Rhetorical question. Also, the only iPhone that hasn't been a flagship is the 5C. Sorry to break it to you, but at some point or another, ALL iPhones beside that one HAVE been flagships for Apple. True story.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-2014 10:45 AM
    Some of us are on limited data packages and don't have access to Wi-Fi on a consistent basis. The cloud may work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.
    And have you tried streaming music on a long car journey? Very frustrating
    freestaterocker and DavidinCT like this.
    06-01-2014 10:51 AM
    And have you tried streaming music on a long car journey? Very frustrating
    I have. Worked just fine. But i guess it really depends on your country/region.
    Still, I believe this is one of those things people think is an issue but it isn't. If I loaded up my phone with 3500+ songs (God, don't even have that many downloaded, maybe 1000), that still left room for 1000-1200 photos (5mpx+19mpx). I just don't see the issue here. But than again, i rarely go on 3 week trips with my solar panel car through the middle of a desert, taking pictures of every grain of sand, running into storage space issues, with no hotel wifi in sight.

You have 27 of the 32GB available to you - an MP3 is about 3-5MB, a combo of the 5mpx+19mpx picture is about 10-15MB. Do the math. And even if you are on vacation, taking hundreds of pictures, and having hundreds of songs on your phone, and shooting 1080p videos, surely you can save some of that content to OneDrive every couple of days using your hotel's wifi. If for nothing else, for piece of mind! I have lost all my holiday photos once, when my phone fell into a salt lake on the LAST day of vacation.
    06-01-2014 10:58 AM
    You don't know what "refurbished" actually means, do you? Rhetorical question. Also, the only iPhone that hasn't been a flagship is the 5C. Sorry to break it to you, but at some point or another, ALL iPhones beside that one HAVE been flagships for Apple. True story.
    Yes I do. Don't like "refurbished"? Use "reused". "Repurposed". No matter how you try to spin it, the 5C is nothing but the 5 with a polycarbonate case instead.
    As for the flagship, again, I've said what I think. You can't have a flagship in a 1-offer scenario. There's no flagship in a squad of 1 ship.
    06-01-2014 11:24 AM
    It costs almost nothing to add SD storage support. Why do you think Nokia puts it in their low end phones?

​This is more likely about making sure OneDrive gets as many paying users as possible.
    Last edited by peestandingup; 06-01-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    06-01-2014 11:56 AM
    I don't see your point. Having and SD card can help with the spam of lifetime of a phone for the user to keep even longer.
    06-01-2014 12:01 PM
    Yes I do. Don't like "refurbished"? Use "reused". "Repurposed". No matter how you try to spin it, the 5C is nothing but the 5 with a polycarbonate case instead.
    As for the flagship, again, I've said what I think. You can't have a flagship in a 1-offer scenario. There's no flagship in a squad of 1 ship.
    LMAO, whatever you say, dude. Didn't realize you work for Apple and know the ins and outs and all the other secrets behind the iPhone 5C and everything else.
    06-01-2014 12:10 PM
    Dear OP,

I'm not entirely with you on this one. While I do agree that a 32GB phone, without a SD option, should be enough; this is however not always the case..
    I came from a phone that had SD option, but I kept mine at 8GB and after a while that wasn't enough. My current phone has 16 GB which seemed like a logical step up, but even that sometimes isn't enough. Being limited by the phone has its advantages. For one, it keeps you aware of how much space you have available which is essential for some, but not all. My GF has a 5S with 32GB and she has about 500MB-1GB of free space left
    I have 3GB of free space, but that's because I don't clutter my phone.. All the apps and games I have are being used often and if i don't use them.... *uninstalling* So it really depends on who you are
    It's true, limited storage forces you to be tidy. I remember how cluttered my Nexus 7 (32GB) got after a while, and how clean my 925 (16GB) is. Pretty much everything I have installed I use on regular basis and I listen to all the music that's on it, and I frequently move all the photos to a PC. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't want ti stick my 32GB card in the phone and enjoy even more music and have an archive of photos always with me if I wanted to show some photos to someone, internet access isn't always an option, or is just too slow.
    ven07 likes this.
    06-01-2014 12:11 PM
    LMAO, whatever you say, dude. Didn't realize you work for Apple and know the ins and outs and all the other secrets behind the iPhone 5C and everything else.
    Hardware wise, 5 and 5C are almost identical, except that 5 comes in 16, 32 and 64 options and 5C comes with 8, 16 and 32.
    Looking at gsmarena you think you're comparing the same phone to itself.
    I don't know what so funny about that, that you have to laugh your A off.
    colinkiama likes this.
    06-01-2014 12:14 PM
    Hardware wise, 5 and 5C are almost identical, except that 5 comes in 16, 32 and 64 options and 5C comes with 8, 16 and 32.
    Looking at gsmarena you think you're comparing the same phone to itself.
    I don't know what so funny about that, that you have to laugh your A off.
    Yeah, it's basically an iPhone 5 with a plastic cover.
    06-01-2014 12:54 PM
    Yeah, it's basically an iPhone 5 with a plastic cover.
    Exactly.
    06-01-2014 01:14 PM
    I disagree, personally i never buy a phone without SD Card, i have 43G of music, videos and ebooks and i never use the internal memory for storing these items. i travel a lot and it's handy to have some choice to kill the time.

The content of the card is updated almost every week with new books and videos, removing the ones already read and viewed, and it's easier to eject the card and update it on the laptop than copy the files directly on the phone.

The same SD Card can be used on my BlackBerry Z10 and Z30 or my Galaxy S4 and GNote3, or on my Lenovo Tablet 2, no need to copy the sames files on all devices, no need to use a data connexion for access the files stored on some distant cloud.
    Jonnie LasVegas likes this.
    06-01-2014 01:55 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cloud supposed to take the place of an SD card? I picked up the Surface 2 and therefore was given 2 gigs of cloud storage (for two years). Since then I have no need for an SD card.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-2014 02:09 PM
    Cloud storage it's great for those who have unlimited data

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 with AT&T using Tapatalk
    06-01-2014 02:35 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cloud supposed to take the place of an SD card?
    In the eyes of Microsoft, yes, since it involves people paying them for a service we'd otherwise not want or need.

Good luck convincing people that their 128GB SD card is now obsolete because OneDrive lets you have 7GB in the cloud provided your data plan and/or Wi-Fi coverage lets you take advantage of it...
    tapehead and b23h like this.
    06-01-2014 02:51 PM
    1 V0/VBR MP3 is about 8 - 10MB for an average length song.

Multiple that by over 600 CDs, and yeah. Completely filled 32GB phone with no room for anything else.

There's no reason not to include a SD slot. It just means you lose potential sales. I was close to getting the 1020 32GB, but I'm glad I didn't. I'd be miserable with that little space.
    b23h likes this.
    06-01-2014 05:11 PM
    In the eyes of Microsoft, yes, since it involves people paying them for a service we'd otherwise not want or need.

Good luck convincing people that their 128GB SD card is now obsolete because OneDrive lets you have 7GB in the cloud provided your data plan and/or Wi-Fi coverage lets you take advantage of it...
    Exactly. Not to mention, even IF you data plan allowed it, with the vast amount of FREE online storage services, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'd ever PAY Microsoft for extra OneDrive.

Furthermore, the entire point of microSD on 8.1 is that you can now store apps in it. As far as I know, it's not possible to storage apps in the cloud.
    06-01-2014 05:39 PM
    As far as I know, it's not possible to storage apps in the cloud.
    That would be awesome, though. I have 200GB of Onedrive storage and being able to basically stream pretty much any app that I wanted to would be amazing. I'd use my local 16GB for things that I need and stream what I want.
    06-01-2014 05:48 PM
    With so much cloud storage available for free (Box gives 50gb free if you ask on facebook nicely) and portable chargers, with added benefit of in the UK at least, truly unlimited 3g and 4g from Three UK (with a soft cap of 1TB per month) for as little as 12 per month i don't really see an issue here. If your service provider cant offer you these benefits, switch.
    06-01-2014 06:00 PM
    Not everyone wants to use the cloud ;)
    DJCBS, tapehead and b23h like this.
    06-01-2014 06:13 PM
    It's probably me but I rather have in my phone a SD card. When the phone broke down. You can at least take with you the SD and save whatever I have in it. The only way I will adopt the cloud if I have 64GB of free storage. Other than that, 10GB is not enough from OneDrive.com
    b23h likes this.
    06-01-2014 06:23 PM
145 12345 ...