No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks,
You already know that I'm into that lovely Lumia 930 , so I've read quite a lot about it (and the Icon) it had only two disadvantages for the most , glance screen , and lack of SD card.
For the glance screen , if you use it you'll miss it,if you don't you won't ... And I'm the second.
But for that SD , it is actually somehow good, most of us don't use all that storage, believe me 32GB is really enough for most of the people and THIS PROVIDES GREAT PRIVACY !! How ?? Easy, if you lost your phone no one would take your files and pictures, because he can't get that SD out of the phone, and he can't access the files without knowing the password , and without password he won't use the phone, so he'll probably gonna do a hard reset and wipe everything!! See ?? It is definitely more private and SAFE .
What do you think now??

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it's utter stupid not to include a microSD card. It's a feature of all 2014 flagships not to mention WP8.1 takes full advantage of it.
Just because some people don't use it or don't need it, it doesn't mean others don't need it. I do need it. 32GB is NOT enough for me. I take a LOT of pictures, I run a LOT of apps and I'm a fan of games. Every single great game takes over 1GB alone.
Plus, this is a FLAGSHIP. There shouldn't be compromises. The microSD should be there and then only those who want to use it, use it.

As for your argument about privacy and the possible loss...IF I was careless enough to get the phone lost or stolen, the LAST thing I'd care about would be the microSD. I would be more concerned that someone stole my 550? phone!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's utter stupid not to include a microSD card. It's a feature of all 2014 flagships not to mention WP8.1 takes full advantage of it.
Just because some people don't use it or don't need it, it doesn't mean others don't need it. I do need it. 32GB is NOT enough for me. I take a LOT of pictures, I run a LOT of apps and I'm a fan of games. Every single great game takes over 1GB alone.
Plus, this is a FLAGSHIP. There shouldn't be compromises. The microSD should be there and then only those who want to use it, use it.

As for your argument about privacy and the possible loss...IF I was careless enough to get the phone lost or stolen, the LAST thing I'd care about what the microSD. I would be more concerned that someone stole my 550€ phone!

The iPhone 5S does not have microSD card support (nor did any model of iPhone), and it is definitely considered a flagship device.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you not encrypt SD cards? Maybe I took that for granted in my old Blackberry days.

Regardless, you shouldn't be storing sensitive things on your phone, anyways. Unless you take, or are able to take, necessary security precautions. Phones get lost or stolen all the time. No one plans to have their phone lost or stolen, its usually at an inconvenient time. ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone 5S does not have microSD card support (nor did any model of iPhone), and it is definitely considered a flagship device.

The iPhone runs on a completely different planet. You can't do anything useful with an iPhone without iTunes and iEverything.
Windows Phone 8 is much closer to Android (thank God!) so we should be comparing it with the Android flagships and not comparing it with the tied-up iOS offerings I think.

Besides, we've yet to see the iPhone 6. And...how can you have a "flagship" when you have no further offerings? Unless you consider the 5C which is just the same thing with a different cover...

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone runs on a completely different planet. You can't do anything useful with an iPhone without iTunes and iEverything.
Windows Phone 8 is much closer to Android (thank God!) so we should be comparing it with the Android flagships and not comparing it with the tied-up iOS offerings I think.

Besides, we've yet to see the iPhone 6. And...how can you have a "flagship" when you have no further offerings? Unless you consider the 5C which is just the same thing with a different cover...

Are you serious? The iPhone doesn't count because it cant do this and that? The term 'flagship' means A COMPANY'S top of the line product. For apple its the iPhone 5s. For Nokia its either the 1520 or the 930. Android flagships are HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2. The iphone6 will be out later and it'll take over flagship status from the 5S. but it cant compete on specs with its competition, does that mean its still not a flagship?

Flagship does NOT mean it needs to have the same everything as some competitor's product. A flagship is NOT defined by what some other company has, nor is it defined by a set of criteria. The iphone5s, and the Lumia 930 are just as much flagships as the andoid phones. Are they weaker offerings than the Android products? Spec wise they would be (the snapdragon 800 is apparently so obsolete to some people and the 801 is that much better......, and iPhone is still on dual cores and half the clock speeds) But that doesn't make them any less of a flagship. They would be defined as weaker flagships.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious? The iPhone doesn't count because it cant do this and that? The term 'flagship' means A COMPANY'S top of the line product. For apple its the iPhone 5s. For Nokia its either the 1520 or the 930. Android flagships are HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2. The iphone6 will be out later and it'll take over flagship status from the 5S. but it cant compete on specs with its competition, does that mean its still not a flagship?

Flagship does NOT mean it needs to have the same everything as some competitor's product. A flagship is NOT defined by what some other company has, nor is it defined by a set of criteria. The iphone5s, and the Lumia 930 are just as much flagships as the andoid phones. Are they weaker offerings than the Android products? Spec wise they would be (the snapdragon 800 is apparently so obsolete to some people and the 801 is that much better......, and iPhone is still on dual cores and half the clock speeds) But that doesn't make them any less of a flagship. They would be defined as weaker flagships.

For you to have a "top of the line" phone, you have to have also a phone that ISN'T top of the line. Apple only does one phone, the iPhone. You can't have a "flagship" in a squadron of 1 ship. Plain and simple.
So the iPhone isn't a flagship of anything. The iPhone is the iPhone. It's Apple's phone and you know it's the best you can get from them but also the only thing you can get from them. The term flagship is used to single out the best phone a company offers in their catalogue. You have the Z2 as a flagship and then the E1, M2 etc. You have the 930 and them the other 10 Lumias. You have the S5 and then the other 100 Galaxies.
On Apple you have the iPhone 5S and that's it. And then you have last years model. Just like you have the Z1, M7, 920, S4.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
For you to have a "top of the line" phone, you have to have also a phone that ISN'T top of the line. Apple only does one phone, the iPhone. You can't have a "flagship" in a squadron of 1 ship. Plain and simple.
So the iPhone isn't a flagship of anything. The iPhone is the iPhone. It's Apple's phone and you know it's the best you can get from them but also the only thing you can get from them. The term flagship is used to single out the best phone a company offers in their catalogue. You have the Z2 as a flagship and then the E1, M2 etc. You have the 930 and them the other 10 Lumias. You have the S5 and then the other 100 Galaxies.
On Apple you have the iPhone 5S and that's it. And then you have last years model. Just like you have the Z1, M7, 920, S4.

Laura got burrrrrrrrrrrned!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The previous models are the one's not-top-of-the-line.
They still sell the 4S, the 5C isn't positioned as a flagship either.

typically they have three phones in a lineup at a time.

I don't know about you, but I would consider the 5S better than the 5C and 4S.

Sorry

/ontopic:

It really depends. An SD slot is a nice option that you don't always have to use depending on the model. an SD-less phone is technically not any more secure than a card-less-SD-slot-equipped phone.
What if you have to move media to another phone? Swap the card.
What's a thief going to do, take my music? I'm more worried about the device.

I'd prefer a higher capacity SD-less phone because it seems that's how Nokia does it, but if I could get 16 GB with an SD, I would consider it against 32 GB without a slot.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
And having an SD card slot is kind of a deal breaker, what if your storage runs out, how are you going to be able to expand your phones memory and enable it to store more apps
Sent from my lumia 620 (the best low-end lumia)

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a 32gb sd card in my phone. Before wp8.1 I only used about 2gb of it with photos and videos. Now that I store apps on it as well I've used over 15gb and rising

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The previous models are the one's not-top-of-the-line.
They still sell the 4S, the 5C isn't positioned as a flagship either.

typically they have three phones in a lineup at a time.

I don't know about you, but I would consider the 5S better than the 5C and 4S.

The 5C is the refurbished version of the 5 which, unlike previous phones, was removed. So you basically have one phone per generation, unlike on Android and Windows Phone. Currently on Apple you have the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5C is last years iPhone 5 and the 4S is the one from 2 years ago.

So it makes no sense talking about an iPhone "flagship" when you have only 1 phone per generation. If you go considering the refurbished 5 and the 4S, you'd also go considering the 920 and the 800 as well as the S4, S3, S2 etc. I don't think it makes sense. The 920 is the flagship of the 2nd generation of Nokia Lumia devices. The L930 is the flagship of the 3rd generation of Nokia Lumias (which this time has only 2 phones). Whatever Microsoft Mobile produces next will be the first generation of Microsoft Lumia devices which will most likely have Goldfinger as the flagship.
The M8 is HTC's current flagship of 2014 devices. The S5 is Samsungs.

As for the iPhone, we MAY see the first REAL iPhone flagship if the rumours about the launch of 2 new iPhones this year - the iPhone 6 and the iPhablet - come true.

NLjelmer

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Sdcard
I was thinking the same about this. I have lost my phone once and I was worried about my sdcard. Whatsapp pictures and everything was stored on it. I am happy that it won't have a SD-card.

Glance
I don't think we need Glance. We need a notification led. That's all I want.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about WP, but in Android and BB you can Encrypt the SD Card, so that whole privacy argument is not valid, in anyway, I'd be far more worried about the phone being stolen than the SD Card.

Rather have the option to be able to expand memory in future than not have it at all. It makes no sense to me that the 930 has no SD Slot when WP8.1 is so SD friendly.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Actually, many people that buy iPhones are perfectly happy with last year's (or two years old) iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, or even the non LTE iPhone 4S. As for Android, a lot of the flagships from last year are now @ $49 or free on contract. To tell you the truth my LG G2 is phenomenal value on Verizon right now free on contract - Snapdragon 800, 2 GB RAM, 13 MP camera with OIS, a 5.2" 1080P IPS screen in a chassis is smaller and lighter than the Icon and all of this years and last years flagships on Android. And, the best WP prior to the Icon do not stand up to my G2 (HTC 8x and Lumia 928 - no Pureview camera, 720P screens (at bigger screen sizes (>5") you can see the difference between 720P and 1080P). As for WP, I have spent considerable time with an off contract Lumia 521 and while its a nice phone and WP is a nice OS there is no "compelling" reason for me to switch and THAT is WP biggest challenge - it is no longer about new people buying their first smartphone.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've personally have not had a dire need for a SD card on any of my smartphones, with the exception of my Lumia 521 which only has 8 GB of internal storage. It definitely makes sense to have a SD slot on that great little device.

I don't keep music or large video files on my phones. I prefer streaming music/video services like Netflix and Spotify. So the largest files I keep on my phones are usually pictures and videos that I've taken. If the phone gets full, I simply offload to cloud storage or my home computer.

But I think the OP does have a point regarding security.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
As for WP, I have spent considerable time with an off contract Lumia 521 and while its a nice phone and WP is a nice OS there is no "compelling" reason for me to switch and THAT is WP biggest challenge - it is no longer about new people buying their first smartphone.

When it comes to developed nations like the U.S., Canada, U.K., etc. I think you're absolutely right. This is the biggest obstacle faced by challengers of the big 2.

And this is why Microsoft/Nokia has aggressively targeted the Lumia 521 towards emerging markets around the world where many people WILL be buying their first smartphone and there is a huge amount of market growth to be had.

I think if Windows Phone can establish a sizable foothold in emerging markets, interest will slowly increase in North America and will see improvements to the WP devices offered here.

I hope by the time my contract is up about a year from now that Verizon will have at least one 6" Nokia Lumia that I can consider when I decide which phone to get next.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, the title here is totally bad in my eyes, a FAIL. When you look at most Android higher end phones (if not all of them) having MicroSD, I think it's a major fail for Windows Phone not supporting MicroSD cards on the phones. AT LEAST GIVE THE CUSTOMERS THE OPTION !

If the 930/ICON had a MicroSD and you didn't want to use it, or didn't feel secure with it, then DONT USE IT. Personally, in my eyes it's a MAJOR flaw with the ICON, I came from a 928 with 32gb, and was almost out of space, I move up to a ICON, Yep, same limits... I got my ICON because of a Nokia screw up (long story) but, over the 928, I would not of upgraded because sure it's a nice screen, CPU, etc, it did not help me on a MAJOR issue and that is space.

At least give people the option....Or a 64gb option...

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
At least give people the option....Or a 64gb option...

This. I can easily fill up 16gb with just music. And with 8.1 supporting apps on SD card, I could probably do 32gb easily as well.

I agree though that they should have the option to use a card, and its up to the user if they put a card in or ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention