No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athanville

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
No SD card actually also means your device uses less power because think about it, you are asking your phone to read something from another piece of circuitry and play it, means tasking the processor even more.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Money, it's always about money. No sd card slot means you have to pay more, much more, to get that extra storage. It has nothing to do with anything else. It's simply greed showing it's ugly grin to the consumer.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Money, it's always about money. No sd card slot means you have to pay more, much more, to get that extra storage. It has nothing to do with anything else. It's simply greed showing it's ugly grin to the consumer.

I'm not buying this argument though. Most phones don't even offer different sizes to "milk it" much with this kind of idea. Flagship phone prices are pretty similar across the board anyways outside like.. iPhones that actually do different kind of sizes.

The physical build of the device is a huge reason for leaving one out. Just think how much space a slot like that will take and it requires compromises to the actual frame etc

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe it all comes down to the number of intense graphic games and number of music albums you have on your phone.

I personally don't see the point of having an entire music collection on a phone. Two or three new albums that I feel like they fit my mood in a given moment are enough and if for some reason I want to listen to something else I can listen to it in the cloud, so 500mb of music are enough for me at a time.

Games is the same. Who needs more than 3 intense graphic games at the same time? I play a game, finish it, delete it and start a new one. If I want to play some again later, just download it again.

Two things:

1 - If you buy a phone with a 41mp or a 20mp shooter, one presumes you take photos with it. Now, thinking about the 1020, for example: I just took 19 photos out of it. You know what size those 19 photos took (and I'm only talking about the size of the high-resolution ones)? 220MB. And I WASN'T shooting in RAW. If I were, those 220 would easily become 440MB. For 19 photos.
So the photos alone can eat up a lot of space, specially the higher the shooter megapixel counter. The 930 has 20mp already which means it will fill faster than the 920. 32GB go away in an instance.

2 - Some of us more hardcore gamers can't do that. We hop and switch from game to game. And the "If I want to play some again later, just download it again" it would work IF all the games on WP had cloud saving. Which they don't. Meaning, 90% of them, if you uninstall them, you lose all the progress. And as far as I understand, 8.1 didn't REALLY solve that as it requires developers to update the game to allow the game data to be backed up.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not buying this argument though. Most phones don't even offer different sizes to "milk it" much with this kind of idea. Flagship phone prices are pretty similar across the board anyways outside like.. iPhones that actually do different kind of sizes.

The physical build of the device is a huge reason for leaving one out. Just think how much space a slot like that will take and it requires compromises to the actual frame etc
Have you seen the HTC one M8 and all the Sony Xperia phones. They have SD card slots and slim designs. The Xperia Z2 and HTC One M8 have no compromises. Nokia are just being dumb.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Two things:

1 - If you buy a phone with a 41mp or a 20mp shooter, one presumes you take photos with it. Now, thinking about the 1020, for example: I just took 19 photos out of it. You know what size those 19 photos took (and I'm only talking about the size of the high-resolution ones)? 220MB. And I WASN'T shooting in RAW. If I were, those 220 would easily become 440MB. For 19 photos.
So the photos alone can eat up a lot of space, specially the higher the shooter megapixel counter. The 930 has 20mp already which means it will fill faster than the 920. 32GB go away in an instance.

2 - Some of us more hardcore gamers can't do that. We hop and switch from game to game. And the "If I want to play some again later, just download it again" it would work IF all the games on WP had cloud saving. Which they don't. Meaning, 90% of them, if you uninstall them, you lose all the progress. And as far as I understand, 8.1 didn't REALLY solve that as it requires developers to update the game to allow the game data to be backed up.

It depends on the usage you give to your phone, so there are no rights and wrongs here. Some use their phones in a way that needs more storage, others in a way that needs less. Some will need an SD card slot, others won't. That's why the LUMIA range has so many phones, so that you can find one that fits your needs. Obviously you will never satisfy everyone even if you have 20 or 50 different models in the market but what matters is to be able to satisfy the needs of the majority.

Regarding my usage, photos will never be a problem to me. I use OneDrive high-quality Wi-Fi photos backup, so in the end of the day I can always delete the photos from my phone (and still have access to them via OneDrive, obviously). No problem there.

Regarding games, shame on me but, no matter how good they are, I never repeat games that I've already finished... not even on consoles, so I have never had a problem with losing game saves.

But, as you can see, it all comes down to the way you use your device, there are no rights or wrongs here. Some are fine with "just" 32GB... You can't tell that they are wrong because of it, just like they can't tell that the SD card slot on the 1520 shouldn't be there because for them it is a waste of space and resources.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
But, as you can see, it all comes down to the way you use your device, there are no rights or wrongs here. Some are fine with "just" 32GB... You can't tell that they are wrong because of it, just like they can't tell that the SD card slot on the 1520 shouldn't be there because for them it is a waste of space and resources.

Exactly and that's why we, who need microSD cards, complain about the lack of one in a phone that's supposed to be the flagship when every other single phone in the Lumia range has it. Better have it and don't need it than need it and don't have it. That's the entire point in this and why I think the OP was wrong.
There's nothing good about the lack of microSD. Nothing.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly and that's why we, who need microSD cards, complain about the lack of one in a phone that's supposed to be the flagship when every other single phone in the Lumia range has it. Better have it and don't need it than need it and don't have it. That's the entire point in this and why I think the OP was wrong.
This post sums it up really. Can someone close this thread now please?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I believe it all comes down to the number of intense graphic games and number of music albums you have on your phone.

I personally don't see the point of having an entire music collection on a phone. Two or three new albums that I feel like they fit my mood in a given moment are enough and if for some reason I want to listen to something else I can listen to it in the cloud, so 500mb of music are enough for me at a time.

This post hurts me in my soul. :shocked:

But really, it's awesome you can get away with 500MB for your music, but I'm so sporadic when it comes to what I want to listen to, and it changes at any given moment. Trust me, Spotify + 90GB just barely makes the grade. Especially as I buy new CDs and records roughly two times a week.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

You never know if people who don't need it may argue that having one is a waste of resources, increases the price, etc... Their opinion... You can't say that they are wrong when this is totally a subjective matter.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
You never know if people who don't need it may argue that having one is a waste of resources, increases the price, etc... Their opinion... You can't say that they are wrong when this is totally a subjective matter.

You talk as if they're bundling a Kinect with it or something. No, MicroSD is a trivial feature that has been standard for cellphones for nearly a decade. It's old technology that only gets neglected to lock down the phone more than it already is.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Your mileage may vary, but you can get about 2000-2500 pictures or 4-5 hours of HD video, or 7000 mp3 songs on the 930 before it runs out of space. If you fill up the roughly 27GB available with 50% apps + music, that still leaves room for 1000+ pictures.

For me, that's more than enough space until i can connect up to my laptop / OneDrive via WiFi to upload content.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Games is the same. Who needs more than 3 intense graphic games at the same time? I play a game, finish it, delete it and start a new one. If I want to play some again later, just download it again.

Some of us are on limited data packages and don't have access to Wi-Fi on a consistent basis. The cloud may work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The 5C is the refurbished version of the 5 which, unlike previous phones, was removed. So you basically have one phone per generation, unlike on Android and Windows Phone. Currently on Apple you have the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5C is last years iPhone 5 and the 4S is the one from 2 years ago.

So it makes no sense talking about an iPhone "flagship" when you have only 1 phone per generation. If you go considering the refurbished 5 and the 4S, you'd also go considering the 920 and the 800 as well as the S4, S3, S2 etc. I don't think it makes sense. The 920 is the flagship of the 2nd generation of Nokia Lumia devices. The L930 is the flagship of the 3rd generation of Nokia Lumias (which this time has only 2 phones). Whatever Microsoft Mobile produces next will be the first generation of Microsoft Lumia devices which will most likely have Goldfinger as the flagship.
The M8 is HTC's current flagship of 2014 devices. The S5 is Samsungs.

As for the iPhone, we MAY see the first REAL iPhone flagship if the rumours about the launch of 2 new iPhones this year - the iPhone 6 and the iPhablet - come true.

You don't know what "refurbished" actually means, do you? Rhetorical question. Also, the only iPhone that hasn't been a flagship is the 5C. Sorry to break it to you, but at some point or another, ALL iPhones beside that one HAVE been flagships for Apple. True story.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
And have you tried streaming music on a long car journey? Very frustrating
I have. Worked just fine. But i guess it really depends on your country/region.
Still, I believe this is one of those things people think is an issue but it isn't. If I loaded up my phone with 3500+ songs (God, don't even have that many downloaded, maybe 1000), that still left room for 1000-1200 photos (5mpx+19mpx). I just don't see the issue here. But than again, i rarely go on 3 week trips with my solar panel car through the middle of a desert, taking pictures of every grain of sand, running into storage space issues, with no hotel wifi in sight.

You have 27 of the 32GB available to you - an MP3 is about 3-5MB, a combo of the 5mpx+19mpx picture is about 10-15MB. Do the math. And even if you are on vacation, taking hundreds of pictures, and having hundreds of songs on your phone, and shooting 1080p videos, surely you can save some of that content to OneDrive every couple of days using your hotel's wifi. If for nothing else, for piece of mind! I have lost all my holiday photos once, when my phone fell into a salt lake on the LAST day of vacation.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't know what "refurbished" actually means, do you? Rhetorical question. Also, the only iPhone that hasn't been a flagship is the 5C. Sorry to break it to you, but at some point or another, ALL iPhones beside that one HAVE been flagships for Apple. True story.

Yes I do. Don't like "refurbished"? Use "reused". "Repurposed". No matter how you try to spin it, the 5C is nothing but the 5 with a polycarbonate case instead.
As for the flagship, again, I've said what I think. You can't have a flagship in a 1-offer scenario. There's no flagship in a squad of 1 ship.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

It costs almost nothing to add SD storage support. Why do you think Nokia puts it in their low end phones?

​This is more likely about making sure OneDrive gets as many paying users as possible.

Last edited:

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't see your point. Having and SD card can help with the spam of lifetime of a phone for the user to keep even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs