No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do. Don't like "refurbished"? Use "reused". "Repurposed". No matter how you try to spin it, the 5C is nothing but the 5 with a polycarbonate case instead.
As for the flagship, again, I've said what I think. You can't have a flagship in a 1-offer scenario. There's no flagship in a squad of 1 ship.

LMAO, whatever you say, dude. Didn't realize you work for Apple and know the ins and outs and all the other secrets behind the iPhone 5C and everything else.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Dear OP,

I'm not entirely with you on this one. While I do agree that a 32GB phone, without a SD option, should be enough; this is however not always the case..
I came from a phone that had SD option, but I kept mine at 8GB and after a while that wasn't enough. My current phone has 16 GB which seemed like a logical step up, but even that sometimes isn't enough. Being limited by the phone has its advantages. For one, it keeps you aware of how much space you have available which is essential for some, but not all. My GF has a 5S with 32GB and she has about 500MB-1GB of free space left :confused:
I have 3GB of free space, but that's because I don't clutter my phone.. All the apps and games I have are being used often and if i don't use them.... *uninstalling* So it really depends on who you are :grincry:

It's true, limited storage forces you to be tidy. I remember how cluttered my Nexus 7 (32GB) got after a while, and how clean my 925 (16GB) is. Pretty much everything I have installed I use on regular basis and I listen to all the music that's on it, and I frequently move all the photos to a PC. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't want ti stick my 32GB card in the phone and enjoy even more music and have an archive of photos always with me if I wanted to show some photos to someone, internet access isn't always an option, or is just too slow.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
LMAO, whatever you say, dude. Didn't realize you work for Apple and know the ins and outs and all the other secrets behind the iPhone 5C and everything else.

Hardware wise, 5 and 5C are almost identical, except that 5 comes in 16, 32 and 64 options and 5C comes with 8, 16 and 32.
Looking at gsmarena you think you're comparing the same phone to itself.
I don't know what so funny about that, that you have to laugh your A off.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hardware wise, 5 and 5C are almost identical, except that 5 comes in 16, 32 and 64 options and 5C comes with 8, 16 and 32.
Looking at gsmarena you think you're comparing the same phone to itself.
I don't know what so funny about that, that you have to laugh your A off.
Yeah, it's basically an iPhone 5 with a plastic cover.

Melinium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I disagree, personally i never buy a phone without SD Card, i have 43G of music, videos and ebooks and i never use the internal memory for storing these items. i travel a lot and it's handy to have some choice to kill the time.

The content of the card is updated almost every week with new books and videos, removing the ones already read and viewed, and it's easier to eject the card and update it on the laptop than copy the files directly on the phone.

The same SD Card can be used on my BlackBerry Z10 and Z30 or my Galaxy S4 and GNote3, or on my Lenovo Tablet 2, no need to copy the sames files on all devices, no need to use a data connexion for access the files stored on some distant cloud.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cloud supposed to take the place of an SD card? I picked up the Surface 2 and therefore was given 2 gigs of cloud storage (for two years). Since then I have no need for an SD card.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Cloud storage it's great for those who have unlimited data

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 with AT&T using Tapatalk

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cloud supposed to take the place of an SD card?

In the eyes of Microsoft, yes, since it involves people paying them for a service we'd otherwise not want or need.

Good luck convincing people that their 128GB SD card is now obsolete because OneDrive lets you have 7GB in the cloud provided your data plan and/or Wi-Fi coverage lets you take advantage of it...

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
1 V0/VBR MP3 is about 8 - 10MB for an average length song.

Multiple that by over 600 CDs, and yeah. Completely filled 32GB phone with no room for anything else.

There's no reason not to include a SD slot. It just means you lose potential sales. I was close to getting the 1020 32GB, but I'm glad I didn't. I'd be miserable with that little space.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In the eyes of Microsoft, yes, since it involves people paying them for a service we'd otherwise not want or need.

Good luck convincing people that their 128GB SD card is now obsolete because OneDrive lets you have 7GB in the cloud provided your data plan and/or Wi-Fi coverage lets you take advantage of it...

Exactly. Not to mention, even IF you data plan allowed it, with the vast amount of FREE online storage services, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'd ever PAY Microsoft for extra OneDrive.

Furthermore, the entire point of microSD on 8.1 is that you can now store apps in it. As far as I know, it's not possible to storage apps in the cloud.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, it's not possible to storage apps in the cloud.

That would be awesome, though. I have 200GB of Onedrive storage and being able to basically stream pretty much any app that I wanted to would be amazing. I'd use my local 16GB for things that I need and stream what I want.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
With so much cloud storage available for free (Box gives 50gb free if you ask on facebook nicely) and portable chargers, with added benefit of in the UK at least, truly unlimited 3g and 4g from Three UK (with a soft cap of 1TB per month) for as little as ?12 per month i don't really see an issue here. If your service provider cant offer you these benefits, switch.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It's probably me but I rather have in my phone a SD card. When the phone broke down. You can at least take with you the SD and save whatever I have in it. The only way I will adopt the cloud if I have 64GB of free storage. Other than that, 10GB is not enough from OneDrive.com

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Cloud is great...

Except:

No Last.FM scrobbling support.

Cell phone service does not exist on underground trains and in basement level floors of almost any department store.

Service also isn't great while traveling through rural areas by train. At least, it's crap here in Germany. But I've experienced similar in the States on Verizon.

Hurts the battery life on smaller, lower-end phones.

Degraded music quality.

--

It's good in a pinch for me, but it's entirely impractical, I'm afraid.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
No one will come to any right conclusion here because some NEED an SD card slot and others DON'T NEED it.

If you don't need it, perfect! The 930 was created thinking on people like you.

If you need it, then the 930 was not designed for you. Start looking somewhere else.

Simple.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No one will come to any right conclusion here because some NEED an SD card slot and others DON'T NEED it.

If you don't need it, perfect! The 930 was created thinking on people like you.

If you need it, then the 930 was not designed for you. Start looking somewhere else.

Simple.
Then people will see the s5, htc m8 or Xperia Z2 and buy them. See how we miss out on sales.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks,
You already know that I'm into that lovely Lumia 930 , so I've read quite a lot about it (and the Icon) it had only two disadvantages for the most , glance screen , and lack of SD card.
For the glance screen , if you use it you'll miss it,if you don't you won't ... And I'm the second.
But for that SD , it is actually somehow good, most of us don't use all that storage, believe me 32GB is really enough for most of the people and THIS PROVIDES GREAT PRIVACY !! How ?? Easy, if you lost your phone no one would take your files and pictures, because he can't get that SD out of the phone, and he can't access the files without knowing the password , and without password he won't use the phone, so he'll probably gonna do a hard reset and wipe everything!! See ?? It is definitely more private and SAFE .
What do you think now??

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Honestly, you can use this rationale for just about anything. Why carry an ID if you can lose it, someone finds it and can steal your identity? And how can you possibly know what's enough or not enough storage for anyone?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
With so much cloud storage available for free (Box gives 50gb free if you ask on facebook nicely) and portable chargers, with added benefit of in the UK at least, truly unlimited 3g and 4g from Three UK (with a soft cap of 1TB per month) for as little as ?12 per month i don't really see an issue here. If your service provider cant offer you these benefits, switch.

Do I need to &*^%$^&% move to the UK as well, or is it ok with you if I stay here in the US?

The argument is that many of the flagships on the market today have an SD Card slot, even Nokia's lower models have an SD Card Slot. One of the new features of 8.1 allows for moving apps to external memory and MS has allowed for developers to move save games to external memory. You can yak all you want about how your personal usage doesn't require an SD Card Slot and I really don't care. For as many of you that don't want a SD Card slot I bet an equal number if not more are interested in one, and for a significant percentage of us a SD Card Slot is a critical feature.

I suggest six months to a year from now we revisit this debate. I expect in the meantime a majority of the new releases (especially flagships) will have SD Card Slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077