No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Before coming to WP I had an SD card and freaked when I learned the HTC didn't have one. Yet, not once have I missed it in the last 16 month of owning my HTC. My surface 2 has a slot and never put a card in it yet. I know its been said a few time, to each his own, but for me, its a non issue.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
LMAO, whatever you say, dude. Didn't realize you work for Apple and know the ins and outs and all the other secrets behind the iPhone 5C and everything else.

Honestly, he's right. The 5C is the exact same phone as the 5 internally. Like, everything. Why do you think they discontinued the 5? Apple's never discontinued the previous gen hardware so fast.

They basically wanted to market the previous gen phone to a different demographic with colors & such, but at a premium price. Obviously that didn't work out so well. They would have done better to just keep selling the 5 & make it free on contract, and much cheaper off contract.

OsamaAdam98

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This kind of justification is why it took us too long to get a notification center (People used to justify that live tiles are enough).

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Not to mention, even IF you data plan allowed it, with the vast amount of FREE online storage services, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'd ever PAY Microsoft for extra OneDrive.

Furthermore, the entire point of microSD on 8.1 is that you can now store apps in it. As far as I know, it's not possible to storage apps in the cloud.
You can use free storage providers if you don't want to pay. And i really don't get the thing about data plan limitations: who in their right mind woud want to upload 30gb of pictures over 3g/4g? Why wouldn't you use wifi the next time you have access?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm using L625

s2sh8m.png

How do i put games and music while the 8gb storage already used about 4gb from the start? Seriously that storage sense only contain few thing

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Cloud is great...

Except:

No Last.FM scrobbling support.

Cell phone service does not exist on underground trains and in basement level floors of almost any department store.

Service also isn't great while traveling through rural areas by train. At least, it's crap here in Germany. But I've experienced similar in the States on Verizon.

Hurts the battery life on smaller, lower-end phones.

Degraded music quality.

--

It's good in a pinch for me, but it's entirely impractical, I'm afraid.
well, we have full 4G coverage on all of our metros. I don't really get your point on the department stores. So cloud storage or music streaming are a bad idea because you can't use them from the garage of a department store?? So sd suport is essential to those who MUST stream stuff while being at the sub levels of concret buildings. Yeah makes sense.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You can use free storage providers if you don't want to pay. And i really don't get the thing about data plan limitations: who in their right mind woud want to upload 30gb of pictures over 3g/4g? Why wouldn't you use wifi the next time you have access?

Pictures are one thing. But constantly streaming music is another.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
well, we have full 4G coverage on all of our metros. I don't really get your point on the department stores. So cloud storage or music streaming are a bad idea because you can't use them from the garage of a department store?? So sd suport is essential to those who MUST stream stuff while being at the sub levels of concret buildings. Yeah makes sense.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

What I am saying is that relying solely on streaming your entire music collection is not practical. Congratulations for having full 4G coverage on your subway system. That's not the reality here in Frankfurt, nor is it the reality in many, many parts of the world. There are just places where your cell phone service is not going to reach. I don't want to rely on a data connection to stream files that I already own. I want them on the phone.

Also, you didn't even try to comment on the other parts of my post about the degraded music quality or the battery life of lower-end phones.

Tell me how great it is to not have an SD card again and live completely in the cloud. :wink:

Also, what about a flight? Yeah, like I'm gonna be able to stream video and music on an international flight.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I disagree, personally i never buy a phone without SD Card, i have 43G of music, videos and ebooks and i never use the internal memory for storing these items. i travel a lot and it's handy to have some choice to kill the time.

The content of the card is updated almost every week with new books and videos, removing the ones already read and viewed, and it's easier to eject the card and update it on the laptop than copy the files directly on the phone.

The same SD Card can be used on my BlackBerry Z10 and Z30 or my Galaxy S4 and GNote3, or on my Lenovo Tablet 2, no need to copy the sames files on all devices, no need to use a data connexion for access the files stored on some distant cloud.
Yeah, you are the definition of an average user. We all need 43GB of music (9000 songs) on our phone to have "some" choice...

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
1 V0/VBR MP3 is about 8 - 10MB for an average length song.

Multiple that by over 600 CDs, and yeah. Completely filled 32GB phone with no room for anything else.

There's no reason not to include a SD slot. It just means you lose potential sales. I was close to getting the 1020 32GB, but I'm glad I didn't. I'd be miserable with that little space.
This is probably my favourite argument so far. So you have to have 10mb Mp3 files (for listening to music on the go, on a noisy train, bus, plane on ****ty earphones) and you gotta have 600 full CDs with you all the time. 600! Jesus Christ. Do you people even hear yourselves?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This is probably my favourite argument so far. So you have to have 10mb Mp3 files (for listening to music on the go, on a noisy train, bus, plane on ****ty earphones) and you gotta have 600 full CDs with you all the time. 600! Jesus Christ. Do you people even hear yourselves?

I have the Bose On-Ear 2s.

Don't make assumptions. I take music seriously. And yes, I want good quality, and I want that choice. If I want it now, I want it now. That's the advantage of living in 2014.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't matter whether i listen it or not. What i concern it's about storage limit. The highest number wp device now is L520 thanks to it low price and i don't see any reason to not using sd card there

If you concern about privacy then don't lost your phone. There is feature that called find my phone to help loook for stolen one. And if you concern about SD card content i bet nothing important there :v

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No one will come to any right conclusion here because some NEED an SD card slot and others DON'T NEED it.

If you don't need it, perfect! The 930 was created thinking on people like you.

If you need it, then the 930 was not designed for you. Start looking somewhere else.

Simple.

You're right, it is simple. For the consumer. But not that great for the companies. You know why? Because people who go looking for a flagship device will compare the 930 to the Z2, M8 and S5. And you know what they'll see? That only one of them is lacking the ability to expand storage. Even if they don't need it, it's better to go for something that can do more than for something that can do less, specially if you're going to pay the prices they ask for flagships.

I'm only getting the 930 because it's Nokia's last phone. Because if the deal hadn't happened of had happened only in the end of the year so that Nokia could release a couple more phones, I would most definitely NOT buy the 930. And if it weren't for it being Nokia's last phone and Google screwing microSD functionality on 4.4, I would consider the Z2 instead.

And even with the 930, if Sony releases a Z2-like phone with WP, I'm certainly switching the 930 for one. Otherwise, next time, I'll be actually considering the offers regardless of the OS. Why? Because I "looked somewhere else"...and didn't found anything on WP.
And in the end, it will be Microsoft losing because the moment WP flagship users are denied true flagships and they start looking somewhere else, Microsoft is losing more than "just a customer".

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

When I was on T-Mobile I could barely get e-mail or ensure that I could answer the phone in some buildings. Oftentimes I could not make a phone call from my desk at my work and had to walk towards the front of the building. This is the first floor of a building not far from the center of a reasonably large town (Reno, NV). This is not just an issue of being in a sub basement or metro.

This conversation bores me. I simply fail to see why people don't realize that having an extra feature that allows one to expand your memory if you want to, that is included on some of the cheapest phones, should be included on more phones that it is. The only flagship Nokia phone with a SD Card Slot is the 1520. If there was a 930 variant with a SD Card Slot I would be happy to let all of you chatter all you want to about your personal usage patterns because it would be a simple choice. However that's not the case as DJCBS points out.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Then people will see the s5, htc m8 or Xperia Z2 and buy them. See how we miss out on sales.

Like they do with the iPhone? Oh wait...
Please understand that in the world out there not so many people want to use an SD card in their phones as online forums seem to indicate. Online forums and "real world" are not the same regarding what people want.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I am more than happy it does not come with SD card support. It does not bother me cause I am used to the fixed 32GB since I currently have an iPhone 5s, and previous iPhones. You learn to manage your storage, and i am yet to run out.

Any how, i much prefer the cloud storage solutions, such as Dropbox and OneDrive. Memory cards can be lost, damaged, get corrupted, or even get stolen. Least with online based storage my images are relatively safe, granted can be hacked or deleted but they are also much easier to recover from these online "drive" solutions.

So lack of SD support is not an issue, any way its a nice looking device... im going for the orange one lol :D

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am more than happy it does not come with SD card support. It does not bother me cause I am used to the fixed 32GB since I currently have an iPhone 5s, and previous iPhones. You learn to manage your storage, and i am yet to run out.

Any how, i much prefer the cloud storage solutions, such as Dropbox and OneDrive. Memory cards can be lost, damaged, get corrupted, or even get stolen. Least with online based storage my images are relatively safe, granted can be hacked or deleted but they are also much easier to recover from these online "drive" solutions.

So lack of SD support is not an issue, any way its a nice looking device... im going for the orange one lol :D

With the cloud you can also access the date / music / photos from different devices. Using a SD card you can only access the data from the device that has the SD card in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion