No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I am more than happy it does not come with SD card support. It does not bother me cause I am used to the fixed 32GB since I currently have an iPhone 5s, and previous iPhones. You learn to manage your storage, and i am yet to run out.

Any how, i much prefer the cloud storage solutions, such as Dropbox and OneDrive. Memory cards can be lost, damaged, get corrupted, or even get stolen. Least with online based storage my images are relatively safe, granted can be hacked or deleted but they are also much easier to recover from these online "drive" solutions.

So lack of SD support is not an issue, any way its a nice looking device... im going for the orange one lol :D

"Least with online based storage my images are relatively safe, granted can be hacked or deleted but they are also much easier to recover from these online "drive" solutions." You mean I cannot move copies of the files on the SD Card Slot onto my computer as backup? That's pretty easy to me

"So lack of SD support is not an issue", oh kind of you to say. It's interesting that WP has yet to have a clearly good selling flagship device, which personally is because Nokia invariable hobbles their devices with stupid decisions like not having SD Card Slot available.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Lack of SD slot is not why Windows Phones aren't outselling the iPhone or Android flagship (in North America). It's all about the ecosystem.

I understand SD card support is essential to many people. But the vast majority don't care. My wife loves her iPhone 5. If I were to ask her if she wished it had a SD card slot, she would probably ask me for clarification on what that is and why she would need it. In other words, she did not even consider it when she decided she wanted an iPhone.

On the other hand, I know there are a handful of apps that she uses on a regular basis, and if WP doesn't have them, she would see no reason to switch.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
"Least with online based storage my images are relatively safe, granted can be hacked or deleted but they are also much easier to recover from these online "drive" solutions." You mean I cannot move copies of the files on the SD Card Slot onto my computer as backup? That's pretty easy to me

Never said u cant do that, but i like the fact i can automatically have it backed up to the cloud or multiple cloud services. What happens when you take that SD card out and it gets damaged, that's the point i was making.

"So lack of SD support is not an issue", oh kind of you to say. It's interesting that WP has yet to have a clearly good selling flagship device, which personally is because Nokia invariable hobbles their devices with stupid decisions like not having SD Card Slot available.

I think you will find that my post was geared towards its not an issue for me. Yeah an SD slot would be handy, but its not the reason WP has a low user base. Its due to the fact people have invested so much with Apple, or Android it makes it hard to move. Me personally i am bored of iOS and i like the WP UI. With the camera of the 930, and the looks of the device its ideal for me. SD card or not i can manage my cloud stoarge.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Never said u cant do that, but i like the fact i can automatically have it backed up to the cloud or multiple cloud services. What happens when you take that SD card out and it gets damaged, that's the point i was making.

I think you will find that my post was geared towards its not an issue for me. Yeah an SD slot would be handy, but its not the reason WP has a low user base. Its due to the fact people have invested so much with Apple, or Android it makes it hard to move. Me personally i am bored of iOS and i like the WP UI. With the camera of the 930, and the looks of the device its ideal for me. SD card or not i can manage my cloud stoarge.

Don't broke your sd card then ....

I don't know about you but cloud service aren't ready for back up large data now. In some region yes but how about place that LTE service isn't available yet. And not everyplace has Wireless acc point.

I may able to back up my setting contact doc via onedrive (got about 30 gb) but uploading pic? I wonder how much time to take

Not mention battery power. It would not be efficient to carry powerbank while using smartphone. While streaming music overtime kill battery. Why not save it and replace it later.

And how about when your network can't reach certain area? Your good looking smartphone not able to play music or view pic. What a waste

Why bother following apple if you don't like sd card why bother using it? And why bother argument here. Just leave your slot empty.

For me and low end device user. Sd card such a important thing. If there are not sd card around how do i play HALO/Royal Revolt/ 6 Guns / Aspalth 7/8?. And thanks to sd card i can download huge size Xap app to my pc while i gone to campus and transfer it to my phone when i got back. Without left my phone home

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Don't broke your sd card then ....

Its break, not broke.

I don't know about you but cloud service aren't ready for back up large data now. In some region yes but how about place that LTE service isn't available yet. And not everyplace has Wireless acc point.

I may able to back up my setting contact doc via onedrive (got about 30 gb) but uploading pic? I wonder how much time to take

Not mention battery power. It would not be efficient to carry powerbank while using smartphone. While streaming music overtime kill battery. Why not save it and replace it later.

And how about when your network can't reach certain area? Your good looking smartphone not able to play music or view pic. What a waste

Luckily i live in a developed area where wifi and 4G are about, plus i have a good data plan with my carrier. I use a mix of iCloud, OneDrive, and Box I have found that most cloud services allow you to back up automatically once you hit a wifi spot (so when u get home!) or via your mobile data connection. I use iCloud to share photos with my family, Box to back up, and OneDrive for my Windows based devices to back up to.

As for a power bank, i have never needed to own such a device, and i use my devices a lot. And uploading a picture really does not take that long. If you're not in an area with high speed mobile connections, oh well there is always back up once you get home and onto your wifi.... you do have wifi right?

Why bother following apple if you don't like sd card why bother using it? And why bother argument here. Just leave your slot empty.

Clearly having no SD card is killing Apples sales (lol). I happily manage my 32GB iPhone 5S and prior iPhones yet have never run out of space! I also have a Lumia 625 with 32GB of SD space, guess what its still not full with games and music (i dont take pics on it, the camera is crap! and its only a dev device). Its called management. If i don't want something i will simply delete it!

For me and low end device user. Sd card such a important thing. If there are not sd card around how do i play HALO/Royal Revolt/ 6 Guns / Aspalth 7/8?. And thanks to sd card i can download huge size Xap app to my pc while i gone to campus and transfer it to my phone when i got back. Without left my phone home

I have a 64GB USB drvie for transferring large data files between PC's. SD cards are not as important as you like to think, how do you play use the internal phone storage! Hell if the phone had 8GB of internal storage i would understand the constant moaning. It doesn't

Not sure what some people issues are, as i keep saying its my opinion and for me no SD slot is not an issue, if it had one i'd use it, if not... meh so what! At the end of the day if its not for you cause it don't have a SD slot, its simple stop ********, your not gonna buy it any way.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Like they do with the iPhone? Oh wait...
Please understand that in the world out there not so many people want to use an SD card in their phones as online forums seem to indicate. Online forums and "real world" are not the same regarding what people want.

The iPhone also comes in a 64GB model. That helps quite a bit. Before the iPhone 4S, there were lots of reviews knocking it for its lack of expandable storage.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Like they do with the iPhone? Oh wait...
Please understand that in the world out there not so many people want to use an SD card in their phones as online forums seem to indicate. Online forums and "real world" are not the same regarding what people want.

My first response on this was deleted and I received a warning on it, however this is far from over.

Colinkiama brought up a list of what is likely THE premier Android devices all of which have a SD Card Slot. Instead of acknowledging that fact at all, Poiman brought up the iPhone. That slight of hand is a cheesy rhetorical move. I am so tired of people bringing up the iPhone everytime there's a discussion on external memory. Just because it sells well that's enough to where that's a compelling point? Like hell. There are many factors involved in the iPhones popularity which cannot necessarily be boiled down to the SD Card Slot. Are you happy with the tiny screen too? SO WHAT THE iPhone SELLS WELL!!! WTF Are we supposed to mimic in other ways as well? We can't have a SD Card Slot because the iPhone doesn't. @#$%@##$^$#@^

I think it is the heights of arrogance to have people dictate to me what an appropriate feature is. THERE IS ONLY ONE FLAGSHIP NOKIA PHONE WITH A SD CARD SLOT!! The 1520 and that is a phablet! If some of us are interested in having a flagship MM/Nokia device with a SD Card Slot (and I would like one similar to the 930), I certainly think that is a reasonable request. That is the entire point to this discussion, there is only one flagship Nokia device with a SD Card Slot.

What people like colinkiama and DJCBS are pointing out is that many of the current flagships have SD Card Slots. That is a reasonable observation. WHO CARES IF NOT ALL FLAGSHIPS OR ALL PHONES HAVE SD CARD SLOTS. So what's up, we can't want something like that unless all flagships have SD Card Slots?? WHAT A DEEPLY CHEESY RHETORICAL MOVE.

So you don't need or want a device with a SD Card Slot. CONGRATULATIONS! I am so proud. Yet what is the problem when some of us that do want one register our desires?
We get hit with the same sh*t time and time again.... The iPhone this, the iPhone that, our desires on this forum don't represent anything in particular and are insignificant in comparison to the wider market, I don't need one. Again, congratulations!! But I am not interested in a iPhone and so it is irrelevant to me. I don't care what your usage patterns are in particular because I am buying a phone for ME, not you. Whether or not my interests are "mainstream" or not is also irrelevant as I will buy what I would like. WE SIMPLY WANT THE CHOICE TO BE ABLE TO BUY A PHONE WITH FEATURES WE DESIRE!!! Desiring a feature like a SD Card Slot that is found in a phone that sells for $70 at times and not being able to get a SD Card Slot in a phone that costs $600 or $700 really shouldn't seem all that unreasonable. And yet those that hope for that continually get a #$@%@$#% load of flak.

WTF???

As far as Poiman's statement that "online forums and "real world" are not the same regarding what people want" I will still refer him to Colinkiama's list of the premier Android devices that DO seem to indicate a desire for a SD Card Slot.

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Lack of SD slot is not why Windows Phones aren't outselling the iPhone or Android flagship (in North America). It's all about the ecosystem.

I never said that WP would outsell Android or iOS if WP's flagship devices had SD Card Slots. I simply said that WP did not have a "clearly good selling flagship." I still hold to that position, that Nokia's sales could have been higher had they not hobbled their phones with weird decisions like no SD Card Slot on the 920, or no SD Card Slot and no Glance on the 930. Reasons like that are reasons why sales may be lower than they could have been. At no point did I compare sales to iOS and Android, because they are simply irrelevant to me. I am talking about what type of Windows Phone I want.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone also comes in a 64GB model. That helps quite a bit. Before the iPhone 4S, there were lots of reviews knocking it for its lack of expandable storage.

Last time I checked the 64GB versions of the iPhone accounted for less than 10% of the total of units shipped... Which means that 90% of those who bought an iPhone were fine with 32GB or less... And the truth is that, when I look to the real world, I don't see my friends complaining about storage issues on their devices. I just don't.

Another thing: Best selling androids have an SD card slot. Sure they do, but how many users are actually using them? I know quite a few galaxy users and they don't have an SD card on their phones.

Even one more thing: I'm not trying to say that SD card slots are bad. I wouldn't mind if the 930 had them. I'm just trying to make people realise that just because you need them, it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Last time I checked the 64GB versions of the iPhone accounted for less than 10% of the total of units shipped... Which means that 90% of those who bought an iPhone were fine with 32GB or less... And the truth is that, when I look to the real world, I don't see my friends complaining about storage issues on their devices. I just don't.

Another thing: Best selling androids have an SD card slot. Sure they do, but how many users are actually using them? I know quite a few galaxy users and they don't have an SD card on their phones.

Even one more thing: I'm not trying to say that SD card slots are bad. I wouldn't mind if the 930 had them. I'm just trying to make people realise that just because you need them, it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

But the option is there. That 10% sales is still 10% sales Apple could have lost out on. And I know they still lose out on some sales for not including the feature. Now, they aren't going to be hurting any time soon. It's the iPhone. But that doesn't mean there aren't people who avoid it for that reason.

What us pro-SD card people are saying is that if the feature doesn't affect you either way, then let us have our cake. If you don't need it.. don't use it. Simple as that. But to say that any feature missing in a phone won't cause even a dent in sales is just absurd. There's a reason I didn't buy the 920, and that was literally the only one.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
There's a part of me that doesn't want to talk about lost sales, about comparisons to other phones or anything like that. I know why the 520 has an SD Card Slot, I used to own a 810. With only 8gb of internal memory having expandable memory is very handy. What seems immensely strange for me is that all but one of the Nokia flagship phones lack a SD Card Slot. Normally when you get a more expensive phone you get more features rather than less. And while clearly not everyone needs that extra space, for some the possibility of adding 16/32/64/128 gb of space is really appealing.

At no time did I say, nor would I think that just because I like having a phone with an SD Card Slot, that everyone thinks the same. There's no real reason to even draw that conclusion. However it really shouldn't strain one's ability to empathize with some people's amazement and disappointment that a Icon that costs $600 lacks a feature that is included in a $60 520. For those of us that want that feature, that discrepancy is just MADDENING....

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is really arbitrary when it comes to this kind of thing anyway. For example, the 820's camera is worse than the 720. Why does the 630 have 512MB of RAM when the 525 has 1GB? It's weird. You'd think the phones would get universally better the higher we go, but that's just not the case.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
In this respect Nokia is a lot lol like Casio, with their product differentiation. It makes little sense. Like the time Belifiore tried to explain why the 620 had drive + and the models above just had drive... Because differentiation!!

Honestly.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In this respect Nokia is a lot lol like Casio, with their product differentiation. It makes little sense. Like the time Belifiore tried to explain why the 620 had drive + and the models above just had drive... Because differentiation!!

Honestly.

Also why the 822 has double the storage and a better front-facing camera, but that hideous design when compared to the 810 and the 820.

Why some of the newer phones have glance and some don't.

WHY THE 1020, THE 41MP CAMERA, ONLY HAS 32GB OF INTERNAL STORAGE. If they had included support for SD cards, that phone could have taken the photography world by storm. It's clearly capable. But a lot of photographers work in SD cards because they fill the storage up so quickly.

Nokia, get it together! At least HTC was clear about its strategy. The 8X is clearly streets ahead of the 8S. But I find I prefer the 520 to the 820.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
As long as they wouldn't be accessing my email and passwords, I'm fine.

Some people make private videos but that's not my case LOL and if I ever have those I wouldn't keep it on the phone for long.

An SD Card for me is where I store my music. I have TONS of music and sometimes it's really nice to have it all in one device. A 64GB wouldn't cut it for me thank goodness for a 128GB SD Card. But that's me. I actually have an iPod classic for my music needs but I could not just carry both everyday so I use my Classic at home and when I'm in a long drive.

In my case it's needed. It's different for everybody plus, adding a card slot would not hurt the Phone. You can opt to put a card or not, it's your decision and while an SD card might not be a thing for you, it still would be better to have a slot why? Because first and foremost, there is demand for bigger storage as not everyone wants a cloud-based storage. Second, it doesn't hurt people who do not like SD cards but it does hurt users who needs them.

I have a Lumia 920 and while I still haven't maximized the 32GB on board, the capacity limits me to what I can have in my device. Btw, there's only 1GB left so I better delete some ish I don't need.

A powerhouse phone for me is something like the Icon WITH an SD Card slot. The 1520 is another option but I think it's kinda too big for my taste.

Different strokes for different folks but still, an SD card slot wouldn't hurt either Microsoft, Nokia, Consumers who needs an SD Card Slot and consumers who doesn't need an SD card slot.

Bottom line: It's a win-win situation with an SD card slot and a win-lose situation without an SD card slot. Take a pick.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

What I am saying is that relying solely on streaming your entire music collection is not practical. Congratulations for having full 4G coverage on your subway system. That's not the reality here in Frankfurt, nor is it the reality in many, many parts of the world. There are just places where your cell phone service is not going to reach. I don't want to rely on a data connection to stream files that I already own. I want them on the phone.

Also, you didn't even try to comment on the other parts of my post about the degraded music quality or the battery life of lower-end phones.

Tell me how great it is to not have an SD card again and live completely in the cloud. :wink:

Also, what about a flight? Yeah, like I'm gonna be able to stream video and music on an international flight.
Guess what, I am flying a lot, and I'm doing that with a Lumia 800 with 16GB of storage. I have cached my favourite song to my phone with my music service, and have a lots of songs stored as mp3s. I didn't say you you can't have any music on the phone. What I am arguing is that some of you come up with such unrealistic scenarios that it makes it seem a phone is utter c***p unless it can hold 10,000 songs with uncompressed audio and all the photos you ever took in your life.

If you listen to a lot of music offline, you may have to make sure you offload your photos from the phone after every 1000 shots, but is that really a deal breaker for the average user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05