No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Bose On-Ear 2s.

Don't make assumptions. I take music seriously. And yes, I want good quality, and I want that choice. If I want it now, I want it now. That's the advantage of living in 2014.
I must admit i was fishing for qa comment like that. If you "take music seriously", you should know that a 100 dollar earphone with the 50 cent audio electronics in your smartphone will still have its limitations and will never be as good as a high quality home audio system with a proper amplifyer and speakers. Storing files at insane bitrates for mobile usage only eats up your storage space. Why not claim you have to have space for 600 CDs of uncompressed audio and 1TB of storage, or else?

But suit yourself, if that's what you like. Still doesn't make it the average usage model.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think some people here believe the Nokia engineers are sitting around all day long thinking how they could screw up the phones they design.

The reason for not having an SD card slot was a tradeoff. They had to fit all that camera tech, wireless charging and a big enough battery for that 5" 1080p screen inside a housing that should feel solid in your hand. They went with the design where you can't pop the back of the phone off to make it feel premium, solid, but that meant there was no space for a user accessable SD card slot next to the charging port, headphone jack and sim card slot.

Does that limit your options with 32GB (~27 free) of onboard storage? Well if you store 600 CDs of super high bitrate audio on your phone AND want to store 2000 20Mpx pictures there too, yes, it may - especially if you are unwilling to offload some of your content from time to time using wifi. But please don't make it into being the average use case. Your the 1%, not the 99%.

This is by far the smallest problem this phone has. Its the refresh of the Icon, a phone out for 3-months now, it was announced in April and it looks like it has been pushed to late June/July now. By the time it is widely available at operators/stores all over the world, it will be late summer, and the iPhone 6, some new iPhone spoiler from Samsung and well, maybe even the 1030 will be leaked/announced/available. If anything, that's going to kill 930 sales, not the SD card slot.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes you just need to say less.

I don't care how you use your phone. Awesome that it works for you. Your model and method does not work for me. But that's fine. I'm not using your phone! And you're not using mine. What I don't understand is why you think I don't need a SD card just because you don't use one. Do you. Enjoy doing you. I'm gonna be over here doing me.

Bottom line, if the phone doesn't have an SD card, I'm not buying it. I'm not going to limit myself just so I can have a flagship. The 920 was not SO AMAZING that I would ignore this limitation. In fact, I intentionally hunted down the 820 (which came for free in comparison to the 920, I might add) before I went to AT&T. I came close with the 1020, but no. Just no.

64GB or an SD card slot. If you can't give me that, I'm moving on.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I must admit i was fishing for qa comment like that. If you "take music seriously", you should know that a 100 dollar earphone with the 50 cent audio electronics in your smartphone will still have its limitations and will never be as good as a high quality home audio system with a proper amplifyer and speakers. Storing files at insane bitrates for mobile usage only eats up your storage space. Why not claim you have to have space for 600 CDs of uncompressed audio and 1TB of storage, or else?

But suit yourself, if that's what you like. Still doesn't make it the average usage model.

If you really think that I can't tell the difference between streaming low-quality wma files and my own ripped files, then you know a lot less about music than you pretend to know.

tumblr_ml068fgyxf1s9sy7no2_250.gif

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The reason for not having an SD card slot was a tradeoff. They had to fit all that camera tech, wireless charging and a big enough battery for that 5" 1080p screen inside a housing that should feel solid in your hand. They went with the design where you can't pop the back of the phone off to make it feel premium, solid, but that meant there was no space for a user accessable SD card slot next to the charging port, headphone jack and sim card slot.

(...)
By the time it is widely available at operators/stores all over the world, it will be late summer, and the iPhone 6, some new iPhone spoiler from Samsung and well, maybe even the 1030 will be leaked/announced/available. If anything, that's going to kill 930 sales, not the SD card slot.

The problem with your first argument is that it has been disproved by Sony. Sony's Z phones also have high end cameras and have bigger batteries. Take the Z2 for example. The only things it doesn't have is OIS and built-in Qi. However, OIS only adds thickness to the phone and the Z2 has Qi technology, just not built in (like the 1020). Yet the Z2 HAS microSD card, a way bigger battery (3200mAh instead of just 2500mAh) while still being thinner and lighter than the 930. Actually, it's also waterproof and dust resistant. Oh and it also uses a microSIM instead of a nanoSIM.
No, the space the microSD takes is NOT at all an excuse for the lack of it on the 930.

As for your last paragraph, the 1030 will not come out that soon. The 1020 is a niche device and so it doesn't get refreshed that quickly. IF it comes in 2014, it will come towards Christmas at best. At any rate, Microsoft is clearly more concerned with low budget phones for third World countries where the new consumers are. Replacing the 1020 is not a priority.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
In low memory device SD card become essential. Thanks to 8.1 Storage Sense which allow user move app to sd card. I use to move all game pict music to sd card while other app that use lot of background service like whatsapp facebook tweet and this app in main memory

I'm not using 128gb or 64 gb sd card just 16 gb one. When i upgrade to 8.1 80% filled since lot of game that i can't be installed because memory limit are installed in my sd card

About music i able to store 100 320 bit song mp3

For advice you can store game on your SD card even you had huge memory. SD card data may isn't save like internal one but that weakness also it strenght. It easily be modifided transfered copied and still readable even if your phone doesn't work at all. It also removable which make things easy when swicthing phones even to diffrent platform.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If you really think that I can't tell the difference between streaming low-quality wma files and my own ripped files, then you know a lot less about music than you pretend to know.

View attachment 68198
Who was talking about using low quality wma files? I was only saying with the cheap audio electronics in phones and the usage scenarios (on the go), going overboard with bitrate only eats up your storage space.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The problem with your first argument is that it has been disproved by Sony. Sony's Z phones also have high end cameras and have bigger batteries. Take the Z2 for example. The only things it doesn't have is OIS and built-in Qi. However, OIS only adds thickness to the phone and the Z2 has Qi technology, just not built in (like the 1020). Yet the Z2 HAS microSD card, a way bigger battery (3200mAh instead of just 2500mAh) while still being thinner and lighter than the 930. Actually, it's also waterproof and dust resistant. Oh and it also uses a microSIM instead of a nanoSIM.
No, the space the microSD takes is NOT at all an excuse for the lack of it on the 930.

As for your last paragraph, the 1030 will not come out that soon. The 1020 is a niche device and so it doesn't get refreshed that quickly. IF it comes in 2014, it will come towards Christmas at best. At any rate, Microsoft is clearly more concerned with low budget phones for third World countries where the new consumers are. Replacing the 1020 is not a priority.
You do see how much you are contradicting yourself, right? So the Z2 does not have OIS or wireless charging... of course it hase room for an SD slot and a bigger battery. That's why i said it was a tradeoff.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You do see how much you are contradicting yourself, right? So the Z2 does not have OIS or wireless charging... of course it hase room for an SD slot and a bigger battery. That's why i said it was a tradeoff.

I didn't contradicted myself if you had paid attention to what I wrote and knew a bit more about what we're talking about here ;)

OIS takes THICKNESS. Meaning, the OIS would require the Z2 to be either thicker or have one of those ugly humps some of the Nokias have.
As for the built-in Qi, again, the Z2 has Qi tech in it. All it lacks is the coil inside it, just like the 925. Again, just like OIS, the Qi only adds thickness and NOT additional space. I bet, just like you can do with the 925 or the Galaxy S5, you can open the Z2 and insert the Qi charging coil inside it.

So there's no real trade off here. You still have a thick phone and lack functionality. Which can also be seen if you put the Z1 and Z2 next to the 925.

No. Adding a microSD card slot would not at all interfere with the design of the 930. It was a deliberate decision, as it was to release the Verizon-designed 929 as the 930 instead of the real 930 that was planned. ;)

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I didn't contradicted myself if you had paid attention to what I wrote and knew a bit more about what we're talking about here ;)

OIS takes THICKNESS. Meaning, the OIS would require the Z2 to be either thicker or have one of those ugly humps some of the Nokias have.
As for the built-in Qi, again, the Z2 has Qi tech in it. All it lacks is the coil inside it, just like the 925. Again, just like OIS, the Qi only adds thickness and NOT additional space. I bet, just like you can do with the 925 or the Galaxy S5, you can open the Z2 and insert the Qi charging coil inside it.

So there's no real trade off here. You still have a thick phone and lack functionality. Which can also be seen if you put the Z1 and Z2 next to the 925.

No. Adding a microSD card slot would not at all interfere with the design of the 930. It was a deliberate decision, as it was to release the Verizon-designed 929 as the 930 instead of the real 930 that was planned. ;)

LOL. So you are saying if something adds thickness to the phone it does not take up extra space inside... Newsflash: that's why it adds thickness. You either have the camera module fill out the entire thickness of the phone or you make a hump for the OIS, so there is enough space left inside for other things behind the camera moduel, like an SD card slot. And really, the z2 has everything BUT the coil? You mean it has everything related to wireless charging except the thing that takes up space and adds to the weight, right?

Again, not arguning that that's not a vaild design choice - Nokia did the same thing with the 925, when everyone and their mother was complaining the 920 was too thick and heavy. But it is a choice. You have to fit everything in to a give space: you either add a bigger battery or a wireless charging coil; you either add a thick camera module with OIS, or a thinner one without OIS and have room for things like a card reader. Or do both and add a hump. Again, pick and choose whichever phone suits you best, but why are you arguing they had to make choices like that?

And, if you could, elaborate on the seceret master plan, why they deliberately chose to exclude the card reader. They had all this extra space inside the phone, but decided not to add the SD card module because... ?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lets end this. They didn't include an SD card cuz this was just a Lumia Icon with a different color backplate.
It has nothing to do with what they did or didn't include because of what they thought was acceptable or what they didn't. They recycled the Icon, changed the antennas, gave the backplate some color and called it the 930. Whether you want to accept that or not is up to you. I personally wouldn't use all 32gb (im living off 8gb non expandable). I think i'd be perfectly fine with just 16gb. If I had the SD card slot option i'd just stuff more music and photos/videos onto it. That's probably it. The way you guys make the SD card sound like a 'requirement' makes it seem like you never transfer anything off your phone.....IF my phone filled with photos/vids/music and I needed more room, i'd just move those to the computer.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Lets end this. They didn't include an SD card cuz this was just a Lumia Icon with a different color backplate.
It has nothing to do with what they did or didn't include because of what they thought was acceptable or what they didn't. They recycled the Icon, changed the antennas, gave the backplate some color and called it the 930. Whether you want to accept that or not is up to you. I personally wouldn't use all 32gb (im living off 8gb non expandable). I think i'd be perfectly fine with just 16gb. If I had the SD card slot option i'd just stuff more music and photos/videos onto it. That's probably it. The way you guys make the SD card sound like a 'requirement' makes it seem like you never transfer anything off your phone.....IF my phone filled with photos/vids/music and I needed more room, i'd just move those to the computer.

SD card support is certainly not a requirement, but it's without a doubt a huge benefit. You can of course keep moving data off of your device onto your computer, but what works for you, might not work for others. Once your device is filled with apps and games, there isn't much left you can move. ;)

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
And, if you could, elaborate on the seceret master plan, why they deliberately chose to exclude the card reader. They had all this extra space inside the phone, but decided not to add the SD card module because... ?

Didn't Nokia say they didn't include an SD card slot on the 920 because they wanted an entirely seamless design for their flagship? It terms of design, it's a 720 with no SD card slot. Makes utterly no sense to me.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

SD Card slot mainly target to low end device with low memory

It expand it's memory allow to store more stuff

At 8.1 Storage Sense Allow it to store app make it really usefull ESPESIALLY FOR DEVICE WITH 8 GB MEMORY. When i first Boot my phone at retail store it already take about 4gb at first so bassically i can only take 4 gb my main memory and that's not enough

Put 16GB SD card about 13GB Data Usable from card and most of it used to store my game

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Also, the Verizon BlackBerry Z30 has built-in wireless charging and a SD card slot, yet is thinner (.37 in) than the Icon (.39 in).

Would a SD card slot on the Icon really have added extra thickness?

Does the 20 MP camera on the Icon really require more bulk?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss