We may finally have an answer - but its a bad one

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am home visiting my parents this week and was in my local town centre running some errands, when I thought I would pop into a few of the local phone shops to see if any of them had heard anything about a release for the 930. I went into Carphone Warehouse, two Phones4u stores, a Three store and an O2 store, and all of them gave me the same answer - they were marked as coming soon/tba on their internal systems with a tentative release date of June. Anything beyond this they couldn't tell me but told me to keep an eye on the websites because about a week before they get the devices in, the websites will be updated.

However, all this changed when I went into the EE store - the advisor seemed very knowledgeable and passionate and when I spoke to her, she said she had a long conversation with the Nokia representative a couple of days previously. He told her that the 630 and 635 would be first and released at the same time, before the end of June (this isn't really news as its available in Carphone Warehouse already). However, she was told that Nokia had been having "manufacturing issues" with the 930 and this was even bringing great annoyance to the Nokia executives because they feel like their hands are tied. And because of this, she said the release date might get pushed back until September (!!!)

So, I ask you UK residents who are waiting on the 930, is this satisfactory? I am a little miffed because I am really waiting on it but if there is nothing Nokia can do then it can't be helped, I just wish they would communicate with us better on what the situation is. However, I think if it does get pushed back to September then it is truly disgraceful, especially since we were promised it would be released in June.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Nokia UK have stated multiple times that it would be our by early July. If its not out the first week of July then i am gonna give up and stick with my iPhone.

If its not released til September, I will just stick with iPhone. Least When apple says its coming up to a week later its in stores.

I really want the 930, its a stunning looking device, combined with a good camera and WP8.1. But if this is how Nokia/MS is gonna play it then i don't wanna be part of their game.

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I also don't believe in this... at last I hope so...
pre-orders would mess up in disasters... everyone would cancel if availability is pushed back to September...
and it doesn't match with the rare "so-far announced" availabilities... (e.g. all pre-orderers at sparhandy.de got a personal email: "available from june 26th, delivery asap..")

we will see...

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This phone is essentially same as the Icon. What manufacturing issues could they be having now that they didn't encounter and solve already with the Icon? Are orange and green causing problems? Well just release white and black first. I'm baffled by this.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
This phone is essentially same as the Icon. What manufacturing issues could they be having now that they didn't encounter and solve already with the Icon? Are orange and green causing problems? Well just release white and black first. I'm baffled by this.

Someone mentioned it could be the motion core, that has been added to the 930, that was not in the icon.

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been into 2 car phone warehouses and three. Some said they've not eve heard of the Nokia 930 and I had a convo about the cameras on the newer lumias and one thought they didn't have Zeiss optics..deep. So I wouldn't believe what a lot of them say.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Motion Core is nothing new, it's a feature of the Snapdragon 8xx series, it's just not accessible via API in the icon (yet). The Icon, 1520 and probably even the Ativ SE will get the functionality, so that is nothing that could harm production.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

They could not have enough available. I can't imagine that the Icon was a huge hit that sold millions. The 930 is a worldwide selling phone and would obviously take more resources to sell.

I find it funny that people blame HTC for not making as many flagship phones, but at this rate they may be faster than Nokia at updating their product line. Its been what? Almost a year and a half?

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
My upgrade is in January so I'm not too bothered by this news.
The closer the release is to the end of the year, the more chance I have of getting the 930.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I worked earlier as a sales representative in an ISP, and I can assure that:
1) VERY few sales representatives have deep knowledge in WHAT they sell. Their main problem is to find HOW to sell, so most of them don't even care about the product.
2) Because of 1), they can talk crap with the customer, just to create a dialogue kinda: "Hey, when will the 930 be available?"; "Hey, a guy from Nokia told me about some manufacturing issues, it will available much later. But I could recommend you an STUNNINGLY AMAZING Galaxy S5, which is THE SAME as what you asked for, but is ALREADY available". Just blabla.

Main advice: be confident in what you want to buy and DON'T change your mind because of the sales representative. Before you decide to buy something - better get some info on forums like this one.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Is this the model that does not have "Glance"? I read someplace that the Icon does not have that. Is this correct? If yes, then I will pass on this - though I love the look!

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
However, she was told that Nokia had been having "manufacturing issues" with the 930 and this was even bringing great annoyance to the Nokia executives because they feel like their hands are tied. And because of this, she said the release date might get pushed back until September (!!!)

Microsoft Portugal announced a couple of days ago that it'd be released in July here. So I think if the manufacturing problems were true, they'd know.
Also, it's a bit weird that they're having NOW manufacturing problems with the 930 when the Icon has been in production for such a long time. And if those exist, then it's the fault of those health-sensors, in which case they might as well drop them as I doubt they will be the reason anyone will buy a 930.

The Snapdragon 800 is already considered last-gen. By the time this phone is released, it's specs will out of date.

Actually, the SD800 is already outdated since the 801 is on every 2014 flagship and the 805 is coming.

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have also read somewhere that the 930 will only be available during Q3 / 2014. Now Q3 could be anywhere from July - Sept. I have been eagerly anticipating this phone since it was announced in April. 930 is very very late to the party & is beginning to feel obsolete.
By the time the 930 is available in the market & for another six month or so I think Microsoft will announce the next flagship. IMHO the 930 will not have a very long life span as a flagship phone. Probably the last Nokia brand phone before switching over to Microsoft. They will still support Nokia Lumia phones for another 18 months or so starting in May '14. I'm now leaning towards the 1520 as it has everything the 930 has & more. I had a 1520 for about three weeks back in Dec.'13 but just couldn't live with the size. In view of the delay this might be my second time coming back to the 1520. I'm now using a 1020 now & am very happy with it. Downside are the battery life & lack of SD card. Screen resolution could have been better. I did toy with the idea of getting a 630 as it has SD card to tie me over but the screen resolution is bad, only 512RAM & no front cam. Btw, the best part of Window OS is that you have the YouTube Downloader which you can download videos for offline viewing. Android's version sucks big time & I think iOS has one too & it works. Still undecided as of writing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo