Fight of the Year --- L930 or L1020 ? Help one newbie decide.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. 1520 should be your choice, unless you really really need that camera. Beat in mind the 1520's camera is really rather good!! And there's an sdcard. And that battery won't quit!

Viviana Biazzo

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same situation: 930 or 1020?
First of all.. yes, I need a good camera to replace once a while my DSLR heavy equipment.
What I'm wondering is: 41 megapixel? Really? Even the DSLR sensors can't work out all this resolution, how does it work with a definitely smaller sensor?
Also.. we don't really need 41 megapixel to work on, definitely it's a lot that the human eye won't never be able to valuate.
Please, feel free to tell me I'm right or not.

Stated this, I would go for the 930, because it will last longer being the new upcoming flagship.

Yes, some day we will have the McLaren, but at which huge price? And when?

I think we can definitely be happy with the 930.

:smile:

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same situation: 930 or 1020?
First of all.. yes, I need a good camera to replace once a while my DSLR heavy equipment.
What I'm wondering is: 41 megapixel? Really? Even the DSLR sensors can't work out all this resolution, how does it work with a definitely smaller sensor?
Also.. we don't really need 41 megapixel to work on, definitely it's a lot that the human eye won't never be able to valuate.
Please, feel free to tell me I'm right or not.

Stated this, I would go for the 930, because it will last longer being the new upcoming flagship.

Yes, some day we will have the McLaren, but at which huge price? And when?

I think we can definitely be happy with the 930.

:smile:

As good as 1020's 41MP is, I personally feel you can't really replace a real camera with a phone. So definitely get the 930 as your phone, and get a mirrorless compact as a light DSLR replacement instead.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello again,

So, actually I am really surprised how many responses I got :shocked: And I see that poll went exactly in direction I expected.
Let me firstly respond to some question which were been put here:

- Camera is second thing I am using after the phone itself.
- I am not a heavy gamer, but let's say, that I would like to have top hardware in phone, as a future-proof device, like I read on some places here.
- Double Tap for life ! Thanks !
- No way for more than 5", really. 1520 can have bigger (actually ****ing huge!) battery, but this size is not something I am looking for.

Now, this topic + poll had also one important reason - and it is this video, shooted by 930 (should I trust it really is ?):

I seriously don't know, if I should even take to account that it could happen. Can somebody confirm that you see that strange shaking of video ? Or is it me ? I have never had such issue with no-OIS photo shooters, but this is seriously very strange - a reason for this poll as well.
I read somewhere that 1020 had some issue until some FW+SW updates came out - can somebody confirm ?

For now I would thank to all of you for response, valuable feedback before trolling :excited: Looks like 930 is pretty much winner.

Bobi.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Simple,
Lumia 1020 = Camera
Lumia 930 = Just like any other flagship

Actually, people really don't really need to look at specs to buy a phone. It's a phone. A phone. Even the new quad core chip has no real advantage compared to the S4. The 930 just feels like any other flagship phone. I would wait for the new 3D touch phone to see what it's all about.

Viviana Biazzo

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
As good as 1020's 41MP is, I personally feel you can't really replace a real camera with a phone. So definitely get the 930 as your phone, and get a mirrorless compact as a light DSLR replacement instead.

930 + mirrorless = too damn expensive. :sweaty:
930 will be enough for use not so demanding.

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The 930 is much more future proof. Keep in mind that the L800 never got wp8, who will say that the 1020 will get wp9? It's much more likely an upgrade for the 930. You say you want your phone to last a few years, in that case it's always wise to choose the latest version.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is a "real" camera with better specs than most "normal" "real" cameras.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
sorry, but no. It still has no optical zoom and a lot of noise due to the small sensor. And yes, they call it "lossless zoom" but in the end, it's just normal digital zoom. Not that the images are bad, they are really good for a phone. But it's still a phone, and you can't expect it to compete with real cameras. And since he's a photographer and normally uses a DSLR, he will know that the megapixels are of no use when the sensor is still pretty small.

To OP: I don't think the differences in the phones in terms of photos are that big. They both have a lot of noise compared to a real camera and that's about it. With perfect light, the pictures are really good, with both phones. If I were you, I'd visit the photo threads in the 1020 forum and for the 930 the Icon and 1520 forums, they both have the same cameras.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Here in Finland you can buy two 1020 with the price of one 930. That plus the good enough HW 1020 has made it winner for me. And of course the camera.. Just gotta love the results it gives. I came from Android world where specs really mattered. I'm relieved that WP doesn't need spec wars. As said before - it is a phone. And to me best possible camera attached to a phone is a winner.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
sorry, but no. It still has no optical zoom and a lot of noise due to the small sensor. And yes, they call it "lossless zoom" but in the end, it's just normal digital zoom. Not that the images are bad, they are really good for a phone. But it's still a phone, and you can't expect it to compete with real cameras. And since he's a photographer and normally uses a DSLR, he will know that the megapixels are of no use when the sensor is still pretty small.
The 1020 has a small sensor? It has a 1/1.5 sensor. A normal Digi-Cam has a way smaller sensor like 1/2,3.
You don't have much knowledge about Photography, or? Bigger Sensor-Number means smaller Sensor.

And the 1020 has no "normal digital zoom". Do you know, what a "normal digital zoom" in a Camera means?
Please get some Information about Photography and Cameras before talking about it.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I cannot say this enough;

Go to a store and check them out. The "buldge" on the 1020 is really minimal once you see it on anything else than pictures on the internet.

Also, try out the camera in the store and get the general feel of the phones down. Either you fall in love with both, one or neither of them.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
The 930 in green or orange is just gorgeous. That reason alone is a selling point to a looks-oriented person like me! It's got a bigger screen than the 1020 (slightly but you decide if this is a good thing), it's 1080p rather than 768p, the processor is faster and more efficient (SD 800), the battery is bigger - and combined with the more efficient processor the battery life will far surpass the 1020.

Honestly, as long as you have a dedicated SLD, DSLR or compact camera to do most of your shooting, I see no reason (aside from price) to get the 1020 instead.

Get the international version, which is out soon, and pop a SIM from any network in. Don't get locked into any one network. Sure, you won't have 4G (as the int'l version uses different LTE frequencies) but you'll be able to use a traveller sim when abroad which nets you the best rates, and besides 4G eats battery a lot more quickly than 3G and to be honest 3G is perfectly fast enough for streaming videos on the train, etc. I just don't see it as being worth it yet.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and set that sensor size in relation to the pixels on it, the density is still pretty high. And I'm not talking about DigiCams, he's a photographer ^^

here's a nice illustration of what I mean when I say it only has digital zoom: Putting Nokia's zoom claims to the test: Lumia 1020 smartphone versus Canon PowerShot S120: Connect it makes a picture and you can then zoom in, and that's it. If this is how non-digital zoom is defined, even my scanner and my webcam feature awesome and non-digital zoom, I just scan/make a picture and then crop a part out.

Don't get me wrong, the 1020 is a great phone and it does have a really impressive camera, but digital zoom is inferior. Period.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What I have heard both phones lasts a day of usage. If you have dedicated dslr or such, then the 930 could be better. I didn't have any camera when thought which one to buy, so it was simple choice to go after the 1020 😊
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I was battling the same dilemma myself, but I decided to go with the 930.

930 does have double tap to wake, though, but you are right that Glance isn't there. I never used Glance on my 920 cos I thought it would be stupid on an LCD screen. Now I'd get an AMOLED scree on the 930 but no Glance, but since I never got used to it, I don't really lose much. I did miss a similar feature when moving from N8 to 920 though, as I don't wear a watch.

However the 930 was priced "so low" that 400€ vs. 500€ (I have a 50€ voucher available), it didn't feel smart to go from 920 to 1020. I'd like the awesome camera, but 920 gets me good enough pics. More than the actual camera sensor I'd probably miss the Xenon-flash that trumps dual-LED all day every day for photography. My fiancee just ordered a 1020 online so I'll still have a chance to change my mind I guess (still didnt buy 930 myself), but 930 seems like a smarter option to me. Good camera to me on a phone is really important to me, but the 920 is already good enough. 930 camera should be a decent chunk better but I really don't necessarily need the 1020-level camera, although I wouldn't mind that either if it was otherwise a lucrative option to upgrade to. Perhaps if it had wireless charging built in it would be more attractive to me, but the price difference to me is so small that it feels stupid to buy the more outdated option.

The camera bump on N8 never bothered me at all, I doubt I would mind the camera bump in 1020 either.

Here in Finland you can buy two 1020 with the price of one 930. That plus the good enough HW 1020 has made it winner for me. And of course the camera.. Just gotta love the results it gives. I came from Android world where specs really mattered. I'm relieved that WP doesn't need spec wars. As said before - it is a phone. And to me best possible camera attached to a phone is a winner.

The 1020 was just lowered to the price of 400€ not that long ago here in finland. No idea where you are finding 1020's for 275€ :p At least my fiancee wouldve loved to know that before she paid 350€ for hers (she also had a 50€ voucher to this tech store, but normal price was 400€)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss