The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-03-2014 06:07 PM
66 123
tools
    The 930 is the exact same phone as the 1520. Just smaller. The 1520 was released last year. The 930 has the 800 snap dragon because that's what's in the 1520. Comparing the s5 to the 930 is essentially comparing the 1520 to it. You're comparing an older phone to a newer phone and its still currently up to par.
    Exactly!!!!! The 1520 was released last year!!!! so then Microsofts competitor released a much better phone....then what did Nokia/MS do? did they try to beat their competitor? NO...did they even try to match the competitor given that they knew what it had inside? NO... they repackaged old technology into a smaller form factor and re released it at a high price point. Sorry but I love WP but im not a mug. If anyone wants a WP then get the 930, just wait until its cheaper at which point it makes sense.
    07-03-2014 04:52 AM
    i think moaning about 1 iteration of tech is like moaning about the rain in scotland! it really doesnt matter

If you handed someone both the S5 and the 930 i would pay you a million pounds if they could differentiate the difference in tech behind the scenes. people seem to read the box and worry that they have old tech when they should be more concerned about how the phone performs and the features it has.
    and waiting for the next iteration is a never ending cycle..just get the device you want just now with the features you need.

the same people will always buy the highest spec laptop or PC if they are buying one. i have a surface 3, but its the i5 version not the i7, I reckon it will last me 3-5 years before i have the urge to upgrade. phones are the same for me, i am still using an htc one x which is doing its job and i just fancy trying windows phone as it will fit with my IT eco system well. the 930 is the first one that has ticked all the boxes for me so i am going to get it. dont get me wrong i still look at the spec to an extent but its not the deal breaker that the OP has made it to be.
    07-03-2014 05:21 AM
    OP, go buy yourself an Android and stop raging please.
    07-03-2014 05:35 AM
    I think that Nokia 930 has no problem with S5 but with Nokia 1520. Essentially 1520 is cheaper, offer on par or superior performances and it is on the market for a relatively long time for smart phones today. Only advantage 930 has is it's superior design and more acceptable screen size (tough it is not logical that smaller is more expensive then larger...but in this world everything is possible ;) )
    07-03-2014 05:48 AM
    Lumia 930 has a camera, that is superior to S5 in app department except for 4K video recording.
    Lumia 930 has a much better design, superior build quality except for water resistant.
    Lumia 930 has Wireless charging.
    WP 8.1 is much more optimized compared to buggy Android.

An incremental upgrade of 801 over 800 will not make any noticiable difference. In fact Lumia 930 will be smoother compared to S5 because of OS. If you compare previous generations, example 920 vs S3, there was a huge difference in the hardware, and still 920 was on par with Galaxy S3 in terms of performance. Now the difference is reduced. Once I get Lumia 930. I will always consider myself superior to those who own Galaxy S4, Note 3 and S5
    07-03-2014 06:10 AM
    Once I get Lumia 930. I will always consider myself superior to those who own Galaxy S4, Note 3 and S5
    Feeling superior to others based on possession. Good for you!

I don't see the issue in the fact that the Lumia 930 is not very exciting and features hardware that is outdated for a wannabe high-end phone being released just now. The issue is that Microsoft tries to sell it at the same price point as the Galaxy S5 or the HTC One M8 has (30 - 40 Swiss Francs cheaper in the cheapest store in Switzerland, but still not enough to make a difference).

That might be good enough for people who love Windows Phone, but it will most certainly not bring anybody to the platform looking for a new high-end device. Compared to the Xperia Z1 Compact that pretty much features the same hardware except of the screen and the wireless charging (I personally think is a gimmick, I don't care about the two seconds I could save with that), it's still almost two hundred Swiss Francs more expensive.
    07-03-2014 06:32 AM
    Hell, my provider sells the 930 for the same price as the LG G3.
    07-03-2014 06:35 AM
    OP, go buy yourself an Android and stop raging please.
    LOL, what makes you think i prefer Android? its not raging if your put your fanboy ego and emotion to one side for a moment and use your brain to think it through then the conclusion is that they are taking you and everyone else out there for a ride with this particular phone. Anyways im off to do some more business with MS lol.
    snowmutt likes this.
    07-03-2014 06:53 AM
    LOL, what makes you think i prefer Android? its not raging if your put your fanboy ego and emotion to one side for a moment and use your brain to think it through then the conclusion is that they are taking you and everyone else out there for a ride with this particular phone. Anyways im off to do some more business with MS lol.
    The way I think is that the OS is the main thing you consider before you buy a phone (or camera, nothing else), and in order to have an awesome experience with this OS you need specific hardware minimum.
    On Android/iOS once you get better hardware - you get better OS UX. I didn't use Android, but iOS is exactly like this (own an iPhone 4).
    On WP you get EXACTLY the same UX on whatever hardware you phone has (either 520 or 1520).

Next step is the phone price. You cannot make an objective comparison of some phones based on different OSes (or even different phone makers), because different companies put different efforts on developing (like coding, marketing, support, upgrade, updates etc).
    In case of WP (and/or iOS), what do you pay for is smoothness (it's smooth on every WP device), privacy and security (any news about WP being hacked?), continuous updates (EVERY single WP 8 device will receive the Cyan update).
    In case of Android, what do you think you pay for? Marketing! The biggest expense of the Android phone maker is the marketing. Google is the one who made us bother about specs, and 'lags', and features.

Should I continue?
    07-03-2014 07:12 AM
    The way I think is that the OS is the main thing you consider before you buy a phone (or camera, nothing else), and in order to have an awesome experience with this OS you need specific hardware minimum.
    Why don't you consider ecosystem as something to consider when buying a phone? Apps are a big deal for most people. You should have written "the main thing I consider".

On Android/iOS once you get better hardware - you get better OS UX. I didn't use Android, but iOS is exactly like this (own an iPhone 4).
    On WP you get EXACTLY the same UX on whatever hardware you phone has (either 520 or 1520).
    This is a good thing for people buying low cost phones. I don't dispute that. But why should that make me pay more for my high-end device?

Next step is the phone price. You cannot make an objective comparison of some phones based on different OSes (or even different phone makers), because different companies put different efforts on developing (like coding, marketing, support, upgrade, updates etc).
    In case of WP (and/or iOS), what do you pay for is smoothness (it's smooth on every WP device), privacy and security (any news about WP being hacked?), continuous updates (EVERY single WP 8 device will receive the Cyan update).
    In case of Android, what do you think you pay for? Marketing! The biggest expense of the Android phone maker is the marketing. Google is the one who made us bother about specs, and 'lags', and features.
    So what you are saying is that Microsoft subsidize its low cost phones and all the other low cost phones it gifts the WP licenses to by increasing the Lumia 930 price? How does that make any sense?

And better marketing might actually be a good thing for Windows Phone...

Should I continue?
    Yes please continue with explaining the above things to me.
    07-03-2014 07:28 AM
    Hell, my provider sells the 930 for the same price as the LG G3.

LG G3 is dirt cheap. Here are the prices from biggest Slovene carrier on 2 year contract:
    Nokia Lumia 1520 : 526
    Nokia Lumia 1020: 408
    HTC ONE (M8) : 552
    HTC ONE (M7): 372
    Samsung Galaxy S5 : 552 ( since yesterday you get a free Gear FIT with it)
    Samsung Galaxy S4: 372
    LG G3 :469 !!!
    LG G2 : 342
    Sony Xperia Z2 : 576 ???
    Sony Xperia Z1: 288

So price around LG G3 would be Ok but Nokias are generally overpriced here, much like Samsungs ( Note 3 is still on 552 price). And I have no idea what happened with price of Xperia Z2, it's in the iPhone price range now.
    07-03-2014 07:40 AM
    Why don't you consider ecosystem as something to consider when buying a phone? Apps are a big deal for most people. You should have written "the main thing I consider".
    I thought an OS (WP in this case) is part of an ecosystem (Windows/XBOX) ... Or Android and Mac OS are part of the same ecosystem?

This is a good thing for people buying low cost phones. I don't dispute that. But why should that make me pay more for my high-end device?
    As I said above, you pay for support. Can you get latest updates for a 2 years old Android? I doubt so. iOS has the same thing, but apparently nobody cares.

So what you are saying is that Microsoft subsidize its low cost phones and all the other low cost phones it gifts the WP licenses to by increasing the Lumia 930 price? How does that make any sense?

And better marketing might actually be a good thing for Windows Phone...
    I agree, marketing is the biggest issue for Microsoft. And there is no subsidizing btw. Of course you will pay more for a better hardware, but don't forget about the firmware, which is made independently for each device. Secondly, there is the OS architecture, which is slowly and surely changing in order to work properly on a range of hardware. I don't know much about NT core, but I guess MS is putting some additional effort to support (nearly) high-end hardware (just a reminder, Android does support MediaTek, WP does not).

Yes please continue with explaining the above things to me.
    What exactly you are interested in?

Edit 1: I forgot that the same phone has very different prices in different countries (just compare USA with EU). I don't know much about VAT policy..
    07-03-2014 07:40 AM
    Feeling superior to others based on possession. Good for you!

I don't see the issue in the fact that the Lumia 930 is not very exciting and features hardware that is outdated for a wannabe high-end phone being released just now. The issue is that Microsoft tries to sell it at the same price point as the Galaxy S5 or the HTC One M8 has (30 - 40 Swiss Francs cheaper in the cheapest store in Switzerland, but still not enough to make a difference).

That might be good enough for people who love Windows Phone, but it will most certainly not bring anybody to the platform looking for a new high-end device. Compared to the Xperia Z1 Compact that pretty much features the same hardware except of the screen and the wireless charging (I personally think is a gimmick, I don't care about the two seconds I could save with that), it's still almost two hundred Swiss Francs more expensive.
    Yes I agree that the price should be way less than 1520. Because...
    1) Less manufacturing cost because of small screen size, and lack of micro SD
    2) No Glance Screen
    Chregu likes this.
    07-03-2014 07:47 AM
    I thought an OS (WP in this case) is part of an ecosystem (Windows/XBOX) ... Or Android and Mac OS are part of the same ecosystem?
    The Microsoft ecosystem is amazing on iOS. Apps are generally pretty bad on Windows Phone. Those are thing I'll certainly consider when buying a new phone in fall.

As I said above, you pay for support. Can you get latest updates for a 2 years old Android? I doubt so. iOS has the same thing, but apparently nobody cares.
    Google want to really change these issues with the new program they've announced. iOS7 supports the iPhone 4 which is 4 years old. iOS 8 will support the iPhone 4S which will be 3 years old when it's released. This is longer than Microsoft promises us to support the hardware. Also, Windows Mobile wasn't upgradable to Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7 was not upgradable to Windows Phone 8. That's not much of a trust advance.

I agree, marketing is the biggest issue for Microsoft. And there is no subsidizing btw. Of course you will pay more for a better hardware, but don't forget about the firmware, which is made independently for each device. Secondly, there is the OS architecture, which is slowly and surely changing in order to work properly on a range of hardware. I don't know much about NT core, but I guess MS is putting some additional effort to support (nearly) high-end hardware (just a reminder, Android does support MediaTek, WP does not).
    So you say that it's hardware to make a firmware for a high-end device than for a low-end device? Also, the 1520 features the same hardware as the 930 to a large extent, according to your theory the 930 should be very inexpensive.

You still haven't given me any good reason why the 930 should be so damn expensive, and I have been using Microsoft phones for 12 years now. Try to explain this to anybody not using Windows Phone...
    Last edited by Chregu; 07-03-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    07-03-2014 07:54 AM
    The Microsoft ecosystem is amazing on iOS. Apps are generally pretty bad on Windows Phone. Those are thing I'll certainly consider when buying a new phone in fall.
    Give me a link to the App store for Cortana please.

Google want to really change these issues with the new program they've announced. iOS7 supports the iPhone 4 which is 4 years old. iOS 8 will supprot the iPhone 4S which will be 4 years old when it's released. This is longer than Microsoft promises us to support the hardware. Also, Windows Mobile wasn't upgradable to Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7 was not upgradable to Windows Phone 8. That's not much of a trust advance.
    So you agree both Microsoft and Google had (Google still has) big failures regarding updates.

So you say that it's hardware to make a firmware for a high-end device than for a low-end device? Also, the 1520 features the same hardware as the 930 to a large extent, according to your theory the 930 should be very inexpensive.

You still haven't given me any good reason why the 930 should be so damn expensive, and I have been using Microsoft phones for 12 years now. Try to explain this to anybody not using Windows Phone...
    Yes, one is firmware. Although it looks like 1520 and 930 are absolutely similar, in reality it's not like this (simply compare the screens. And there are more marketing expenses since 930 is a new device.

Try to explain this to anybody not using Windows Phone...
    Q: Who developed Android core? A: -
    Q: Who developed Windows Phone core? A: -

I think that's enough so far.
    07-03-2014 08:16 AM
    The 930 is just a repackaged 1520 therefore it's priced accordingly. It doesn't have fastest processor but it is still a flagship phone. The iPhone 5s doesn't have the fastest processor, it's not even quad core and it's still priced as a flagship. The iPhone 5c was essentially the same phone as the iPhone 5 but it was repackaged too. Nothing about the 930 is any different than companies have done before.
    07-03-2014 08:23 AM
    The 930 is just a repackaged 1520 therefore it's priced accordingly. It doesn't have fastest processor but it is still a flagship phone. The iPhone 5s doesn't have the fastest processor, it's not even quad core and it's still priced as a flagship. The iPhone 5c was essentially the same phone as the iPhone 5 but it was repackaged too. Nothing about the 930 is any different than companies have done before.
    Well, there's one difference: Apple can sell their phones, Microsoft can't.
    07-03-2014 08:40 AM
    Give me a link to the App store for Cortana please.
    I don't have Cortana. Most of the world doesn't have Cortana. Cortana only knows English. That's really no selling argument.

And voice assistants are nice for a party trick, but I have never in my life seen anybody talk to his phone on the streets.

So you agree both Microsoft and Google had (Google still has) big failures regarding updates.
    Yes, of course. And what consequence does that have now?

Yes, one is firmware. Although it looks like 1520 and 930 are absolutely similar, in reality it's not like this (simply compare the screens. And there are more marketing expenses since 930 is a new device.
    I haven't seen any marketing for the 930. And you were saying it's more complicated to adjust the firmware for a high-end device than for a low-end device what makes the price difference to the Android competition. I was stating that it can't be that hard as a phone already exists running basically on the same hardware.

Q: Who developed Android core? A: -
    Q: Who developed Windows Phone core? A: -
    What does that have to do with anything?

I think that's enough so far.
    I agree, there's no reason the 930 should be that expensive. There are many reasons why it should be priced aggressively. Of course I could be wrong, but I predict the 930 being a flop.
    07-03-2014 08:44 AM
    I don't have Cortana. Most of the world doesn't have Cortana. Cortana only knows English. That's really no selling argument.

And voice assistants are nice for a party trick, but I have never in my life seen anybody talk to his phone on the streets.
    Cortana does not mean that you need to speak to your phone lol. It's just a different way to manage everything (almost) on your phone. And yeah, Cortana will be available mostly to everybody next year. (except iOS/Android, not sure though).

Yes, of course. And what consequence does that have now?
    I just like the way you point out that Google will do some good stuff and, at the same time, state that MS didn't update its previous mobile OS versions.

I haven't seen any marketing for the 930. And you were saying it's more complicated to adjust the firmware for a high-end device than for a low-end device what makes the price difference to the Android competition. I was stating that it can't be that hard as a phone already exists running basically on the same hardware.
    It's not more/less complicated. It's just different, thus additional effort and expenses are required. And as I said, basically yes, but in reality it's not.

What does that have to do with anything?
    I love when people answer a question with a question (sarcasm).
    07-03-2014 08:59 AM
    Let this thread die, in conclusion the 930 is too expensive for what it is.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-03-2014 09:15 AM
    Cortana does not mean that you need to speak to your phone lol. It's just a different way to manage everything (almost) on your phone. And yeah, Cortana will be available mostly to everybody next year. (except iOS/Android, not sure though).
    Why should I buy an overpriced Lumia 930 now when what you try to sell me as a main feature is only available next year? You make less and less sense.

I just like the way you point out that Google will do some good stuff and, at the same time, state that MS didn't update its previous mobile OS versions.
    Yes, so both do the same thing. They promise us to make things better. Why does that make Windows Phones more expensive exactly?

It's not more/less complicated. It's just different, thus additional effort and expenses are required. And as I said, basically yes, but in reality it's not.
    You state random assertions without giving any explanation. There's no reason whatsoever why a high-end phone should be harder to optimize than a low cost phone, unless it has some new special features. And quite frankly, the 930 does not have any.

I love when people answer a question with a question (sarcasm).
    A company that was later bought by Google started to develop Android based on Linux.

Microsoft developed Windows Phone 8 based on the NT kernel.

Okay? Can I ask now, what does that have to do with anything?

Actually I would agree with Great deal, this thread could stop here. But I'm still wondering if you are just too stubborn to agree or if there's somewhere in your argumentation some sense hidden.
    Great deal likes this.
    07-03-2014 09:23 AM
    Let this thread die, in conclusion the 930 is too expensive for what it is.
    All Apple products are too expensive for what they are, doesnt stop people from buying them ;)
    Chregu likes this.
    07-03-2014 09:31 AM
    All Apple products are too expensive for what they are, doesnt stop people from buying them ;)
    That's true in many cases, even though I think in some areas Apple has moved to pretty reasonable prices. Their phones are very expensive however.

But that's exactly my point. Apple can do it, people will buy it anyway. Only very few buy Microsoft phones, so making the device expensive certainly won't make them buy more.
    07-03-2014 09:33 AM
    So... the S5 is more powerful in hardware wise compare to 930. And then?

Which device would you recommend me if I want a mobile phone with 5' screen, 20MP camera and absolutely must has WP in it? Is there any other option in market right now that has these criteria? If not then thank you :3 You go and buy another phone and I'll buy this 930 cause it suites me pretty well. Everyone has their own opinion, you prefer better hardwares with cheaper price or whatever, we prefer other options while there isn't anymore left to choose.

Time to stop giving out advice when nobody ask for it. Feel free to do it if someone ask a spec wise comparison between S5 and 930.

P.S: you should change your thread's title to "Lumia 930 v Samsung S5 hardware/spec wise only" if you want your thread to be ignored completely :)
    07-03-2014 09:35 AM
    The only thing I see where the S5 wins is the battery, micoSD*, and water resistance. Weight and dimension is a subjective preference. The difference in processors is not going to be noticeable. In fact, over the life of the phone and the way Android is architectured, the S5 is going to have poorer performance than the Lumia 930.

* All the sources list the specs of the S5 with 16Gb of storage. So how much more is the 32Gb model, which is standard for the Lumia 930?

The lumia has a better camera and wireless charging, which is more important to me.
    07-03-2014 09:36 AM
66 123