Lumia 930 v Samsung S5 - comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well I thought id compare the 2 in the spare 15 minutes i had, interesting comparison between the S5 released in April and the 930 which is just starting to hit the market. There may well be a lot of specs ive missed out on and the links below will take you to more detail, ive compared the main features....

Lumia 930

Launch date July/August 2014
Processor 2.2Ghz Quad Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
RAM 2GB
Storage 32GB internal with no microSD
Camera 20 megapixel
Screen size 5 inch
Resolution 1080x1920 full HD
Pixel Density 441 ppi
Battery 2420mAh
Connectivity 4G LTE, BT 4
Size 137x71x9.8mm
Weight 167g

Interesting features
Wireless charging

Full Specs:
Nokia Lumia 930 - Specifications - Nokia - UK

Samsung S5

Launch date April 2014
Processor 2.5Ghz Quad Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
RAM 2GB
Storage 16 or 32GB with microSD up to 128GB
Camera 16 megapixel
Screen size 5.1 inch
Resolution 1920x1080
Pixel Density 432 ppi
Battery 2800mAh
Connectivity 4G LTE, BT 4
Size 142x72.5x8.1mm
Weight 145g

Interesting notes:
Water resistant up to 3 feet
Finger print reader
Heart rate monitor

Compared to the Snapdragon 800 -- which is used in the 930 -- the Snapdragon 801 has a 45 percent faster camera sensor, 28 percent faster graphics, 14 percent faster CPU, 18 percent faster digital signal processor, and 17 percent faster memory (The chips of Samsung's Galaxy S5 -- Exynos and Snapdragon - CNET)

Source and more specs:

S5 – Samsung GALAXY S5

Conclusion based on above specs alone:

The S5 is faster, thinner, lighter, more storage and more feature packed with a better battery than the NEW Lumia 930.

Fingers crossed the Mclaren (or whatever the new MS phone will be) has BETTER specs than the S5 - 930 is DOA IF it is priced at the same cost as S5

Last edited:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
People still decide after comparing the specs, so pathetic...
And yes, how did you find that SGS5 is faster than 930? Probably I'm wrong, but I think these phones have different OSes.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
People still decide after comparing the specs, so pathetic...
And yes, how did you find that SGS5 is faster than 930? Probably I'm wrong, but I think these phones have different OSes.

Its horses for courses which is why i don't compare OS just the hardware, the processor in the S5 is a newer version and much faster then the one in the 930, link is in the post. I think as soon as (if) they break even on this device they will stop all promotion. I was excited about this device when first announced but they are just too darned slow to release it. If MS want a chance to grab market share then they have to under promise and over deliver, everyone loves a nice surprise.

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
so a Transporter is the much better car than a Porsche GT cause the Transporter has 100 PS more power...

comparing just the specs without looking to the requirements of the OS... sorry, just senseless...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
so a Transporter is the much better car than a Porsche GT cause the Transporter has 100 PS more power...

comparing just the specs without looking to the requirements of the OS... sorry, just senseless...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The analogy i prefer is Porsche v Ferrari v Lamborghini.

All 3 are sports cars competing with each other, 3 different companies all targeting the same consumers. Its like Ferrai releasing the amazing technical 458, if Lambo released a car several months later with 100HP less and slower top speed and acceleration which one would 'joe public' (with 200k to spend :) buy? People go for the latest and greatest, that's what all the tech companies want us to do, you may be sensible and not fall for that but you would be a minority.

Releasing a phone several months later with inferior everything is retarded to say the least....imagine if the 930 had everything the S5 had, we would be very happy chappies indeed, I would snap one up knowing full well id be content in a 24 month contract.

Last edited:

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to imagine my better half's icon being any faster. That phone is a beast. If one were to but on specs alone they would be waiting forever. The gs5 isn't even noticeably faster than the gs4. I know because I had both. Returned the s5 when the only real jump was in camera. For the record, the Icon has a superior camera and it came out months before the s5. lol

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What is the reason to release a device with LOWER power at a LATER date when you are last and trying to claw market share. I understand what you are saying but this is a retarded business decision. What would you prefer a 930 with 801 processor or 800? << that is the real point. The ONLY defence is if they market the 930 as a mid range product not a high end....its no longer high end is it!

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What is the reason to release a device with LOWER power at a LATER date when you are last and trying to claw market share. I understand what you are saying but this is a retarded business decision. What would you prefer a 930 with 801 processor or 800? << that is the real point. The ONLY defence is if they market the 930 as a mid range product not a high end....its no longer high end is it!

It might not be enough for you but I don't really worry about specs. I see a lot of that in android base camp people calling one phone better because it has 4 more pixels or 4 MHz more than the competing phone from another company. The fact that I don't really have to worry about specs in WPs is one of the things that I enjoy most.

I would take the Snapdragon 801 over the 800 unless the price difference is significant. What I really care and what makes me think in buying the Lumia 930 to replace my Lumia 920 is the camera and the fact that it supports the Sensor Core SDK from Nokia/Microsoft.

I wouldn't care if I bought a Lumia 930 with a Snapdragon 800 and 3 months later they launch a revised version with a Snapdragon 801 for the same price. Now a Lumia 930 with a Snapdragon 805 or even worse an 810 would be a different story.

Last edited:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It might not be enough for you but I don't really worry about specs. I see a lot of that in android base camp people calling one phone better because it has 4 more pixels or 4 MHz more than the competing phone from another company. The fact that I don't really have to worry about specs in WPs is one of the things that I enjoy most.

I would take the Snapdragon 801 over the 800 unless the price difference is significant. What I really care and what makes me think in buying the Lumia 930 to replace my Lumia 920 is the camera and the fact that it supports the Sensor Core SDK from Nokia/Microsoft.

I wouldn't care if I bought a Lumia 930 with a Snapdragon 800 and 3 months later they launch a revised version with a Snapdragon 801 for the same price. Now a Lumia 930 with a Snapdragon 805 or even worse an 810 would be a different story.

100% agree with you and I don't look at the specs too much else I wouldn't have got the 920 and 1020 however they are asking you to pay a high price for something that is inferior and quite frankly that takes the p***. Just for a moment, scroll to the top and swap the name S5 for 930, notice how you feel.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
100% agree with you and I don't look at the specs too much else I wouldn't have got the 920 and 1020 however they are asking you to pay a high price for something that is inferior and quite frankly that takes the p***. Just for a moment, scroll to the top and swap the name S5 for 930, notice how you feel.

Nicely said.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
What is the reason to release a device with LOWER power at a LATER date when you are last and trying to claw market share. I understand what you are saying but this is a retarded business decision. What would you prefer a 930 with 801 processor or 800?
The only thing that matters once someone owns the phone is the experience. I guarantee the 801 running android will lag when compared to the 800 running WP os. If specs are that important to you don't forget to print out the specsheet and carry it in your pocket to make you feel better when the s5 is lagging.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
The point isn't how fast the processor is. Once you own the phone all that matters is the experience, and WP runs much faster and smoother on slower processors. So even though on paper the 801 looks better i guarantee it will lag in real use with android when compared to the 800 using WP os.

OP doesn't care, he just needs moar MHz.
BTW let me guess, is OP an Android user..?

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
That could was meant to be more like, "it would be good if it came with 801 but even now with 800 it's not the end of the world"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb