Windows Phone 8 - Reminder of Calendar

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to make the reminder of the calendar longer than what it is? I think it's about 10 sec long for me and I almost always either miss my appointments or get to them late...
Thanks in advance!

It won't make the audible reminder any longer, but I find that to keep from missing my daughter's appts, I set the reminder for the day before (which also makes it appear on the lock screen the day before). If I don't hit snooze (allowing me to set another reminder nearer the time) or dismiss, it will stay on the screen until I take action. I always set up the last reminder one hour before the appointment because I'm really bad at time awareness.

One of the key advantages of using the native calendar is that it will sync with desktop or browser Outlook.

Note also that with 8.1, you have separate volume controls for apps and notifications. Crank up the volume on the notifications so you're less likely to miss them.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you've found Cortana in the apps list, she's also very good at reminders. Tap the search button and then the microphone to give her a vocal request to remind you. The resulting reminder isn't any longer, but you can set multiple reminders... maybe one every 5 minutes?

UniZebra

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
@Nerdy Woman - Well of course there are a lot of alternative ways like the one you mentioned but they do me no good and honestly it shouldn't be that difficult... The most basic phones mange to that without a sweat. I paid a lot for my WP so why shouldn't it be able to do so. WP users suffer enough as it is due to the lack of apps the least thing that MS can do is to give us good and sufficient native apps that. I also find it really stupid that we can't set more than one reminder for an event.

UniZebra

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No problema with present reminder. If I realy want something explosive I put wake-up with terribly voice.

Why should you go through all that trouble when you can have a calendar that will do that for you... I mean Android/IOS/Symbian even Dumb-Phones' calendars know how to do it why shouldn't WP's?

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Most mobile OSes are able to repeat notifications every minute or two until they're acknowledged, either built-in or using a third-party app like LightFlow for Android. WP really should have this functionality or provide hooks to let third-party developers implement it. It's one of the main issues giving me pause about adopting WP as a daily driver.

UniZebra

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Most mobile OSes are able to repeat notifications every minute or two until they're acknowledged, either built-in or using a third-party app like LightFlow for Android. WP really should have this functionality or provide hooks to let third-party developers implement it. It's one of the main issues giving me pause about adopting WP as a daily driver.
Finally someone agrees with me, thank you sir! Everyone here thinks I'm their enemy...

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
... I also find it really stupid that we can't set more than one reminder for an event.

I really do empathize with you, UniZebra, but this comment cracked me up. I have the opposite problem. I'll set an appt in my daughter's Outlook Calendar and invariably be sitting at my computer when my phone notifies me. My computer notifies me. My daughter comes out of her room to notify me (because her phone just notified her, too).

We're both terrible at keeping track of time. Getting in the habit of adding appts and events to Outlook was the best thing I've ever done for myself. And yeah, I do crank up the volume on Ring/Notifications so I don't miss that too brief audible alert, but very glad the flashing button on my computer taskbar is there for backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos