UK buyers, will you be buying the 930 or wait for McLaren?

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Such a dilemma. I dropped my 920 and the top half has shattered. I don't know whether to buy the 1520 off contract. See if I can get an early upgrade and go for this or try and wait it out till McLaren. Contract ends in October. I could get the 1520 and then get the McLaren when its out but then id have a 1520 lying around.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Will replace the 1020 with Mclaren when its out. Gave gf the 920 I had, advised her 6 months ago to get the 930 however its a **** take to pay a premium price for technology that is already 12 months old today. If it was much cheaper then its a no brainer.

Its not too long to wait for a device with cutting edge 805 processor, 8.1 with update 1, 3D control, Cortana that actually works in the UK, all for a not too dissimilar price. Each to their own though, I know if I tied myself into a 24 month contract with a 930 today, I would cry inside in 12 months time when I see that if I waited only a few months that id have a device id be happy with for 2 years.

David Breakwell

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the build quality on 930._0rdered one today from Amazon Franc ?58 cheaper. Care phone said I must have a new contract for promotional deal. My old 820 screen cracked in my pocket.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Will replace the 1020 with Mclaren when its out. Gave gf the 920 I had, advised her 6 months ago to get the 930 however its a **** take to pay a premium price for technology that is already 12 months old today. If it was much cheaper then its a no brainer.

Its not too long to wait for a device with cutting edge 805 processor, 8.1 with update 1, 3D control, Cortana that actually works in the UK, all for a not too dissimilar price. Each to their own though, I know if I tied myself into a 24 month contract with a 930 today, I would cry inside in 12 months time when I see that if I waited only a few months that id have a device id be happy with for 2 years.
Wow for a phone that's not even confirmed its getting a lot of pre orders on here. May just be a concept phone!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Such a dilemma. I dropped my 920 and the top half has shattered. I don't know whether to buy the 1520 off contract. See if I can get an early upgrade and go for this or try and wait it out till McLaren. Contract ends in October. I could get the 1520 and then get the McLaren when its out but then id have a 1520 lying around.
If you get the 1520 I highly recommend the version 2. It has qi built in which isn't just for the convenience but reduces wear on the micro usb port.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Nokia sale has gone through. MS are very eager to launch a device that's all their own with the OS tightly integrated, ideally without any issues, something that will be the mega launch were all hoping for. They have already said get ready for something big, we know that to compete it will HAVE to have the 805 processor, great graphics, sd card, 3d touch thingy, cortana and maybe some other nice useful features. They know ppl are waiting and its their chance to show what they really can do. 930? last years specs tbh. Come on MS!!! hope they don't disappoint, they cant afford to.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Nokia sale has gone through. MS are very eager to launch a device that's all their own with the OS tightly integrated, ideally without any issues, something that will be the mega launch were all hoping for. They have already said get ready for something big, we know that to compete it will HAVE to have the 805 processor, great graphics, sd card, 3d touch thingy, cortana and maybe some other nice useful features. They know ppl are waiting and its their chance to show what they really can do. 930? last years specs tbh. Come on MS!!! hope they don't disappoint, they cant afford to.

I just got a massive feeling everyone will be disappointed with the McLaren it wont be what everyone is bigging it up to be. The worst thing from a phone no one knows about is all the speculation of top end hardware and if this phone does come out it wont be all the top end hardware and people will slag it off. I would guess its going to be this time next year before anything massive will come out!

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps although the ball is well and truly in the hands of MS, its up to them now to win or lose. I think if its another disappointment its adios. The reason is that the latest launch is what Nokia had in the pipeline and MS hasn't really had time to do much. Certainly not a flagship product, the next one has to be as the competition is moving onwards and upwards. Come on MS!

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia sale has gone through. MS are very eager to launch a device that's all their own with the OS tightly integrated, ideally without any issues, something that will be the mega launch were all hoping for.

Replace Nokia with "Skype" in your above sentence and see how history tells us otherwise :)

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps although the ball is well and truly in the hands of MS, its up to them now to win or lose. I think if its another disappointment its adios. The reason is that the latest launch is what Nokia had in the pipeline and MS hasn't really had time to do much. Certainly not a flagship product, the next one has to be as the competition is moving onwards and upwards. Come on MS!
Look at the 925 nothing really new, 1020 was only the camera, yeah 1520 was better hardware but nothing to what everyone is making the McLaren to be. Its like saying Lumia scanner rumoured to be in testing. Has a 815 chip, holographic camera, 3d tactile screen, battery is a heat charging one so will charge in your pocket so your never out of juice. On board sensor so you can scan items at a distance to get basic information. The list could go on, even if the McLaren has a 3d touch the rest of the phone wont be stellar as the cost would be massive and it definitely won't have glance so all the people saying they are not getting 930 because of that will have to miss out on that one 2.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
im buying, i see no reason to wait for a phone which is rumour and assumption only. and even then, the 930 ticks all the boxes for me so i have no reason not to buy it..

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I'm not from UK. I'm from the Far East. 930 will be launched in the Far East within a couple of days. Like you I'm toying with the idea of getting a 930. I'm using a 1020 now & batt juice is the only issue. Is lags a bit in certain scenario but I can live with it. Latest I heard about the Lumia Mclaren's specs : 3D touch, 5.2" HD screen, 20mp cam & 64GB internal storage. This is no 1020 replacement & is more like a 930 instead. Now also in the rumour mill is the 1520 replacement - 1525. Probably same foam factor as the 1520 but running on Snapdragon 801 chip so an upgrade from 800 chip in the 1520. 800 chip is plenty fast enuf on the 1520 & Window OS is not power hungry like Android. So at the end of the day would you rather wait for the Mclaren which you will not see it till most probably Q4 / 2014? No big difference from the 930 except a slightly larger display at 5.2." Chipset not confirm yet could be running on a 801. What we want is a proper replacement for the 1020. If I decide to get a 930 I will still keep my 1020 because of the cam. I regretted selling my 808 but it was so slow running on Symbian. Cheers mate!

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Look at the 925 nothing really new, 1020 was only the camera, yeah 1520 was better hardware but nothing to what everyone is making the McLaren to be. Its like saying Lumia scanner rumoured to be in testing. Has a 815 chip, holographic camera, 3d tactile screen, battery is a heat charging one so will charge in your pocket so your never out of juice. On board sensor so you can scan items at a distance to get basic information. The list could go on, even if the McLaren has a 3d touch the rest of the phone wont be stellar as the cost would be massive and it definitely won't have glance so all the people saying they are not getting 930 because of that will have to miss out on that one 2.

All previous devices were from Nokia, Future devices will be from MS - The team at Nokia have probably just been retained and rebranded however the MS team will have a lot more say in what/how the hardware works and that integration will only get closer/better in time. Example is iPhone, Apple have full control over hardware as well as the OS. Android - Google do not. MS/Nokia didn't either. They have an opportunity to get it right and I am a firm believer in that the past does not equal the future, if we all believed that then wed still be sitting in caves shouting at our feet or something!

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
All previous devices were from Nokia, Future devices will be from MS - The team at Nokia have probably just been retained and rebranded however the MS team will have a lot more say in what/how the hardware works and that integration will only get closer/better in time. Example is iPhone, Apple have full control over hardware as well as the OS. Android - Google do not. MS/Nokia didn't either. They have an opportunity to get it right and I am a firm believer in that the past does not equal the future, if we all believed that then wed still be sitting in caves shouting at our feet or something!
The point is though its all speculation nothing concrete not even a conformation that this phone is coming it could even be a 730 type phone, if you want to go off the name and I'm a massive McLaren fan but you could claim it looks perfect but is trying to be something it's not and off the pace. I know its my opinion but seriously its a phone that currently does not exist and no one knows nothing about so why get hyped over nothing. At least we takers of the 930 can say its a solid phone and that its got nothing on it that's useless like the htc evo 3d that was a terrible phone!

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The point is though its all speculation nothing concrete not even a conformation that this phone is coming it could even be a 730 type phone, if you want to go off the name and I'm a massive McLaren fan but you could claim it looks perfect but is trying to be something it's not and off the pace. I know its my opinion but seriously its a phone that currently does not exist and no one knows nothing about so why get hyped over nothing. At least we takers of the 930 can say its a solid phone and that its got nothing on it that's useless like the htc evo 3d that was a terrible phone!

Yes nothing official has been announced, and looking at the 930 from a technical aspect compared to the competition and also the hardware that's out there then its logical to conclude that the 930 is technically inferior to the best from Samsung (processor, weight, thickness, battery life) and that MS are hard at work working on their FIRST device as manufacturer and OS supplier and that device HAS to be a flagship that sets the benchmark going forward, something that makes a consumer look at WP and say wow. If not then lets switch to Android or iOS as without a technically leading handset to attract the masses MS will have failed.

They know that, we know that, and they will announce it officially in time. Yes if you want the best WP 8.1 experience today then get the 930, just beware that its old technology and will be even older in a matter of months.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Nah, won't be buying the 930 as it would mean losing features like Glance and micro sd. Lumia 1520 is a better flagship than the 930. I'll wait and see what's coming out in the future. All this talk of 3d gesture control is not exciting me one bit either. It's pointless tbh and what makes it so different from the gesture control on Samsung Galaxy etc? Smart Touch, Smart Stay etc are the first things I turn off on those devices.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte