01-20-2015 08:41 AM
63 123
tools
    All the evidence suggests that battery life of a new phone improves after a few days and a few charges.

Let us know how it is then - I am thinking of getting the 930 when it comes out in the UK next Thursday but poor battery life will give me cause to reconsider.
    have you considered the 1520? it is a bit big but battery would be great with the 3400mah in it , its got the same spec with added bonus of things like glance and a micro sd slot ;-) might be worth a think or a visit to the shop to see if you can handle the size ;-)
    07-09-2014 10:38 PM
    I also had the heat problem in the first 2-3 days - blamed this issue to my excessive using the "new one", installing and testing...
    I can remember that I did a softreset (hold power button for about 10 sec) on the 2nd or 3rd day... now the heat issue is gone, maybe cause of the softreset maybe I use it now not as excessive as the first couple of days...
    the only situation where it goes a little bit warmer is when I charge it wireless...
    07-10-2014 02:43 AM
    I also had the heat problem in the first 2-3 days - blamed this issue to my excessive using the "new one", installing and testing...
    I can remember that I did a softreset (hold power button for about 10 sec) on the 2nd or 3rd day... now the heat issue is gone, maybe cause of the softreset maybe I use it now not as excessive as the first couple of days...
    the only situation where it goes a little bit warmer is when I charge it wireless...
    Yeah, I tried a soft reset yesterday and I'll test it more. But then again, I'm seriously considering the possibility that the real problem is that I'm just being spoiled by a 7-months use of my 1520.
    hasasimo likes this.
    07-10-2014 05:40 AM
    Yeah, I tried a soft reset yesterday and I'll test it more. But then again, I'm seriously considering the possibility that the real problem is that I'm just being spoiled by a 7-months use of my 1520.
    How is the performance today? By the way do you open the GPS? (I heard Cortana requires location on)
    07-10-2014 12:16 PM
    My dear new Lumia 930 is 24 hours old and I had to charge it two times already - even though it was at 60% when I first unpacked it -.

However, I couldn't help but notice the excessive heat of the phone after only a few minutes of usage and the terribly quick drain of the battery. I had to turn the phone off and back on for changing some settings, and the phone literally drained 6% of the battery on every turn-on.

I'm coming from a 1520, which has an excellent battery, so it might just be me. But I still would like to know if any of you guys who just bought it noticed this as well.
    I am aware that the phone is still new and everything, but I never experienced any particular improvements of battery performance for my old 920, 925 and 1520, when they were charged for the first times.

Not going to lie, I indeed am worried that the battery life can actually be that poor. Can anybody assure me that this is just a temporary issue, that the battery is going to improve in the next days?
    Just curious, what were your reasons for switching from a 1520 to a 930?
    07-10-2014 12:21 PM
    How is the performance today? By the way do you open the GPS? (I heard Cortana requires location on)
    Same as the first couple of days, although I did notice that standby is very good. It only loses 1% of battery every hour with wi-fi enabled. And yes, I have Location on, you think I should disable it?

Just curious, what were your reasons for switching from a 1520 to a 930?
    Mainly because of the size. I got bored of carrying a bag with me whenever I have to bring my phone somewhere. I need something smaller and more comfortable to be easily took out of my pocket, especially when I'm sitting on a bus/on a train and I'm squeezed between people. As for the aesthetics, I like the 930 better than the 1520, I find it to be more classy to my eye and the grip is just perfect.

For what concerns the battery life, I'm seriously thinking that the real issue is myself, being spoiled by my old 1520 and its own great battery. Having used it for 7 months caused me to "forgot" how common batteries work (not sure if this makes sense, but it might be).

However, even putting it this way, I still find it pretty terrible under normal usage. Nokia guarantees that the battery allows the phone to get to the night under extreme usage, but this is definitely not my case.

Also, when I charged it yesterday, I noticed that it was stuck at 99% of charge for 20 minutes or so, and then it finally reached the 100%. I never noticed this on the other days.
    07-12-2014 04:22 AM
    Hm.. My battery drained 11% with just 15 minutes of ussage. Checking Instagram, Facebook and the WPCentral app.
    07-12-2014 04:55 AM
    maybe hard reset can fix, but dont install any app
    check battery status and signal operator
    if not, just bring to nokia care service
    07-12-2014 05:05 AM
    Hm.. My battery drained 11% with just 15 minutes of ussage. Checking Instagram, Facebook and the WPCentral app.
    Exactly, just like me.
    07-12-2014 05:12 AM
    I have the Same problem. In stand-by there is no problem. Using facebook or the Explorer voor 10 minutes is -5%
    A full reset did not solve the problem.
    07-13-2014 12:06 PM
    That's amazing battery life. I have a 1520 and I'd say that's right on par with mine!! I'd actually be a bit suspicious haha. 64%??? After 10 hours of more than moderate use... maybe your battery % is off/faulty sensor?

I got my 930 on monday and i went to the beautiful city off Copenhagen (Denmark) on tuesday (im from Sweden). Left home around 08:30 with fully charged 930.

And i used the phone extensively, Used as gps for 30min beacuse we got off at the wrong station and took 100 photos in Copenhagen Zoo. Sent a few sms and mms. Called my friends a few times beacuse we got seperated.

We took the train home at 18:00. I had 64% left off my battery charge. If its good or bad i dont know but i think its pretty good.
    07-13-2014 01:21 PM
    That's amazing battery life. I have a 1520 and I'd say that's right on par with mine!! I'd actually be a bit suspicious haha. 64%??? After 10 hours of more than moderate use... maybe your battery % is off/faulty sensor?
    The answer to your question is no.
    07-13-2014 01:33 PM
    After 4 days of use my battery life finally seems to be normal. Checking facebook, instagram etc. for 15 minutes with only a 4-5% decrease in battery.
    07-13-2014 01:35 PM
    There must be an update that cuzing 930 going hot and drain battery. My lumia went very hot an drained battery fast, i reset it to factory settings, and i didnt update the apps, now lumia is cold and battery is last muuuuch longer, so there is definitly a problem with one off apps update.
    07-13-2014 02:20 PM
    You could try one by one updating the things and see when it breaks. Note that you should give it sufficient time to happen rather than "update 1 app, wait 5 seconds, update another" :P

It's probably some not-so-necessary 3rd party app, seeing that this isnt affecting a huge amount of people apparently.
    07-13-2014 02:53 PM
    Mainly because of the size. I got bored of carrying a bag with me whenever I have to bring my phone somewhere. I need something smaller and more comfortable to be easily took out of my pocket, especially when I'm sitting on a bus/on a train and I'm squeezed between people. As for the aesthetics, I like the 930 better than the 1520, I find it to be more classy to my eye and the grip is just perfect.

For what concerns the battery life, I'm seriously thinking that the real issue is myself, being spoiled by my old 1520 and its own great battery. Having used it for 7 months caused me to "forgot" how common batteries work (not sure if this makes sense, but it might be).

However, even putting it this way, I still find it pretty terrible under normal usage. Nokia guarantees that the battery allows the phone to get to the night under extreme usage, but this is definitely not my case.

Also, when I charged it yesterday, I noticed that it was stuck at 99% of charge for 20 minutes or so, and then it finally reached the 100%. I never noticed this on the other days.
    Interesting. I'm a 1520 owner myself and while I initially thought the size was comically large, I've gotten quite used to it, and can even use it with one hand most times and my hand isn't even very big. My problem with the 1520 is mainly that swipe/tap bug. The 930's aesthetics also piqued my interest. I was initially disappointed that it looked just like the Icon, but the green and orange make all the difference for me. Looks great with that metal frame.

Even though the size is more reasonable (though I think 5.3" would be ideal) and it's a beauty, I just don't quite think it's worth doing without LTE, glance, and that supreme battery life despite that swipe/tap bug. If that North American variant with full LTE is indeed released, I may have to rethink things.
    07-13-2014 10:46 PM
    Hi Guys, I got my Lumia 930 white, last Wednesday. After unpacking and setting it up with my latest backup, I charged it fully. Then I started using it for browsing and such (and new phone: wow this is best ever, bla bla stuff), and immediately it started draining the battery. More than 40 % within an hour after fully charged. That was not what I expected, had higher hopes. Came from a L920 which did not have an impressive battery life either, so I really had high expectations for the 930 in that regard. Anyway I installed the "battery discharger pro" from marketplace and Ive drained the battery every evening for 4 days now, an then let it charge up to 100% over night. Now I have 92%, 4 hours after charging, having made a few calls and listening to music. 10 hours after charge im at 60-50% depending on use. As soon as it hits 40% it starts to drain faster for some reason. I also tried the soft reset (holding the Power button for 8 sec.) and it actually gave me 2% more after restarting. Ive not been charging it more than once a day and only fully charging then. Don't know if it helps any if you, but wanted to share what worked for me. - I Really like my 930 !!
    07-15-2014 05:04 AM
    Lumia 930 Review: Microsoft Still With Lots Of Work To Do Review said it had a bad battery life.

It only has 25% more battery than the 920, but has a quad core CPU, bigger sharper screen, 20mpx camera and loads more higher specs. The battery life is going to suck. I HATE Android but take a look at http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lg-g3-revie...merges-1453832 the specs are just bonkers.
    07-15-2014 06:10 AM
    My lumia went very hot
    I dare you to try Waze gps app. My phone got so hot after using it it nearly burned my hand. I honestly thought it was going to explode.
    07-15-2014 06:16 AM
    Yet again, give it time. I've had mine for over a week, and the battery has become better every day. :)
    07-15-2014 06:38 AM
    The same for me after 3 days its last at least 18 hours and the heat is less now..
    07-15-2014 11:42 AM
    I've been using mine for 8 days by now, haven't noticed an improvement yet. Standby mode is great but after using whatsapp for 5 minutes, it went down by 3%.
    07-15-2014 12:43 PM
    I've been using mine for 8 days by now, haven't noticed an improvement yet. Standby mode is great but after using whatsapp for 5 minutes, it went down by 3%.
    I went back to the store with my lumia.
    Because it was within 7 days I could exchange it with no problems.
    the 2nd one is so much better
    it is less hot and the battery will last longer.
    Send it back and ask for a replacement
    07-15-2014 10:06 PM
    I got my 930 on monday and i went to the beautiful city off Copenhagen (Denmark) on tuesday (im from Sweden). Left home around 08:30 with fully charged 930.

And i used the phone extensively, Used as gps for 30min beacuse we got off at the wrong station and took 100 photos in Copenhagen Zoo. Sent a few sms and mms. Called my friends a few times beacuse we got seperated.

We took the train home at 18:00. I had 64% left off my battery charge. If its good or bad i dont know but i think its pretty good.
    Hi MatyAB

Would be interresting to know what apps you let running in the background or if you hade disabled a lot of them. Did you have location services on all the time and what about data/LTE? And motiondata? NFC? Bluetooth? WiFi? And I guess the battery saving option wasn't on?

Because if my 930 is draining about 6-7% battery every hour with very light use. But I have data/LTE, Bluetooth, wifi and motion sensor on all the time.
    07-16-2014 01:07 AM
    I dare you to try Waze gps app. My phone got so hot after using it it nearly burned my hand. I honestly thought it was going to explode.
    So was Waze on my iPhone 5 also. :)
    Placed the car holder on the vent in the car, so the AC cooled it down, sometimes so much it shut off because it got to cold. :P
    07-16-2014 01:11 AM
63 123