Battery Life Early Impressions

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No you're right on that too, I totally forgot about calibration with the actual device.

Phones need ONE calibration charge/discharge for life and then they are set. A magic little hardware based IC works out things from there. Doing frequent 'calibrations' which I have heard some suggest is just using up the battery life.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
All the evidence suggests that battery life of a new phone improves after a few days and a few charges.

Let us know how it is then - I am thinking of getting the 930 when it comes out in the UK next Thursday but poor battery life will give me cause to reconsider.

doisy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Another day, another double charge in 18 hours only. I barely have any apps running in background.

This is awfully frustrating...

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
My dear new Lumia 930 is 24 hours old and I had to charge it two times already - even though it was at 60% when I first unpacked it -.

However, I couldn't help but notice the excessive heat of the phone after only a few minutes of usage and the terribly quick drain of the battery. I had to turn the phone off and back on for changing some settings, and the phone literally drained 6% of the battery on every turn-on.

I'm coming from a 1520, which has an excellent battery, so it might just be me. But I still would like to know if any of you guys who just bought it noticed this as well.
I am aware that the phone is still new and everything, but I never experienced any particular improvements of battery performance for my old 920, 925 and 1520, when they were charged for the first times.

Not going to lie, I indeed am worried that the battery life can actually be that poor. Can anybody assure me that this is just a temporary issue, that the battery is going to improve in the next days?

i had this with one of the 920s i had , others didn't do it , the heat came even when the phone was not being used in my pocket , at one point i remember having to take it out of the nokia case as i thought it was going to melt it or make it a funny shape from the heat , obviously with the heat came the battery drain it was huge

the phone was faulty , other 920s didn't do this and no way should a phone get that hot when it isn't doing anything :-/

maybe return it if possible? if not sell it buy another one? i would be a bit worried though mate to be honest , its a small battery form such high spec and you don't want to have a bad battery on top of that really

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
All the evidence suggests that battery life of a new phone improves after a few days and a few charges.

Let us know how it is then - I am thinking of getting the 930 when it comes out in the UK next Thursday but poor battery life will give me cause to reconsider.

have you considered the 1520? it is a bit big but battery would be great with the 3400mah in it , its got the same spec with added bonus of things like glance and a micro sd slot ;-) might be worth a think or a visit to the shop to see if you can handle the size ;-)

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I also had the heat problem in the first 2-3 days - blamed this issue to my excessive using the "new one", installing and testing...
I can remember that I did a softreset (hold power button for about 10 sec) on the 2nd or 3rd day... now the heat issue is gone, maybe cause of the softreset maybe I use it now not as excessive as the first couple of days...
the only situation where it goes a little bit warmer is when I charge it wireless...

doisy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I also had the heat problem in the first 2-3 days - blamed this issue to my excessive using the "new one", installing and testing...
I can remember that I did a softreset (hold power button for about 10 sec) on the 2nd or 3rd day... now the heat issue is gone, maybe cause of the softreset maybe I use it now not as excessive as the first couple of days...
the only situation where it goes a little bit warmer is when I charge it wireless...

Yeah, I tried a soft reset yesterday and I'll test it more. But then again, I'm seriously considering the possibility that the real problem is that I'm just being spoiled by a 7-months use of my 1520.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I tried a soft reset yesterday and I'll test it more. But then again, I'm seriously considering the possibility that the real problem is that I'm just being spoiled by a 7-months use of my 1520.

How is the performance today? By the way do you open the GPS? (I heard Cortana requires location on)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My dear new Lumia 930 is 24 hours old and I had to charge it two times already - even though it was at 60% when I first unpacked it -.

However, I couldn't help but notice the excessive heat of the phone after only a few minutes of usage and the terribly quick drain of the battery. I had to turn the phone off and back on for changing some settings, and the phone literally drained 6% of the battery on every turn-on.

I'm coming from a 1520, which has an excellent battery, so it might just be me. But I still would like to know if any of you guys who just bought it noticed this as well.
I am aware that the phone is still new and everything, but I never experienced any particular improvements of battery performance for my old 920, 925 and 1520, when they were charged for the first times.

Not going to lie, I indeed am worried that the battery life can actually be that poor. Can anybody assure me that this is just a temporary issue, that the battery is going to improve in the next days?

Just curious, what were your reasons for switching from a 1520 to a 930?

doisy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
How is the performance today? By the way do you open the GPS? (I heard Cortana requires location on)

Same as the first couple of days, although I did notice that standby is very good. It only loses 1% of battery every hour with wi-fi enabled. And yes, I have Location on, you think I should disable it?

Just curious, what were your reasons for switching from a 1520 to a 930?

Mainly because of the size. I got bored of carrying a bag with me whenever I have to bring my phone somewhere. I need something smaller and more comfortable to be easily took out of my pocket, especially when I'm sitting on a bus/on a train and I'm squeezed between people. As for the aesthetics, I like the 930 better than the 1520, I find it to be more classy to my eye and the grip is just perfect.

For what concerns the battery life, I'm seriously thinking that the real issue is myself, being spoiled by my old 1520 and its own great battery. Having used it for 7 months caused me to "forgot" how common batteries work (not sure if this makes sense, but it might be).

However, even putting it this way, I still find it pretty terrible under normal usage. Nokia guarantees that the battery allows the phone to get to the night under extreme usage, but this is definitely not my case.

Also, when I charged it yesterday, I noticed that it was stuck at 99% of charge for 20 minutes or so, and then it finally reached the 100%. I never noticed this on the other days.

edbc00l

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
maybe hard reset can fix, but dont install any app
check battery status and signal operator
if not, just bring to nokia care service :wink:

kloon

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the Same problem. In stand-by there is no problem. Using facebook or the Explorer voor 10 minutes is -5%
A full reset did not solve the problem.

Jowarman

May 6, 2013
Visit site
That's amazing battery life. I have a 1520 and I'd say that's right on par with mine!! I'd actually be a bit suspicious haha. 64%??? After 10 hours of more than moderate use... maybe your battery % is off/faulty sensor?

I got my 930 on monday and i went to the beautiful city off Copenhagen (Denmark) on tuesday (im from Sweden). Left home around 08:30 with fully charged 930.

And i used the phone extensively, Used as gps for 30min beacuse we got off at the wrong station and took 100 photos in Copenhagen Zoo. Sent a few sms and mms. Called my friends a few times beacuse we got seperated.

We took the train home at 18:00. I had 64% left off my battery charge. If its good or bad i dont know but i think its pretty good.

MartyAB

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's amazing battery life. I have a 1520 and I'd say that's right on par with mine!! I'd actually be a bit suspicious haha. 64%??? After 10 hours of more than moderate use... maybe your battery % is off/faulty sensor?

The answer to your question is no.

Aiwendil Valaraukar

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
There must be an update that cuzing 930 going hot and drain battery. My lumia went very hot an drained battery fast, i reset it to factory settings, and i didnt update the apps, now lumia is cold and battery is last muuuuch longer, so there is definitly a problem with one off apps update.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You could try one by one updating the things and see when it breaks. Note that you should give it sufficient time to happen rather than "update 1 app, wait 5 seconds, update another" :p

It's probably some not-so-necessary 3rd party app, seeing that this isnt affecting a huge amount of people apparently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte