Battery Life Early Impressions

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mainly because of the size. I got bored of carrying a bag with me whenever I have to bring my phone somewhere. I need something smaller and more comfortable to be easily took out of my pocket, especially when I'm sitting on a bus/on a train and I'm squeezed between people. As for the aesthetics, I like the 930 better than the 1520, I find it to be more classy to my eye and the grip is just perfect.

For what concerns the battery life, I'm seriously thinking that the real issue is myself, being spoiled by my old 1520 and its own great battery. Having used it for 7 months caused me to "forgot" how common batteries work (not sure if this makes sense, but it might be).

However, even putting it this way, I still find it pretty terrible under normal usage. Nokia guarantees that the battery allows the phone to get to the night under extreme usage, but this is definitely not my case.

Also, when I charged it yesterday, I noticed that it was stuck at 99% of charge for 20 minutes or so, and then it finally reached the 100%. I never noticed this on the other days.

Interesting. I'm a 1520 owner myself and while I initially thought the size was comically large, I've gotten quite used to it, and can even use it with one hand most times and my hand isn't even very big. My problem with the 1520 is mainly that swipe/tap bug. The 930's aesthetics also piqued my interest. I was initially disappointed that it looked just like the Icon, but the green and orange make all the difference for me. Looks great with that metal frame.

Even though the size is more reasonable (though I think 5.3" would be ideal) and it's a beauty, I just don't quite think it's worth doing without LTE, glance, and that supreme battery life despite that swipe/tap bug. If that North American variant with full LTE is indeed released, I may have to rethink things.

Kbhere

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys, I got my Lumia 930 white, last Wednesday. After unpacking and setting it up with my latest backup, I charged it fully. Then I started using it for browsing and such (and new phone: wow this is best ever, bla bla stuff), and immediately it started draining the battery. More than 40 % within an hour after fully charged. That was not what I expected, had higher hopes. Came from a L920 which did not have an impressive battery life either, so I really had high expectations for the 930 in that regard. Anyway I installed the "battery discharger pro" from marketplace and I?ve drained the battery every evening for 4 days now, an then let it charge up to 100% over night. Now I have 92%, 4 hours after charging, having made a few calls and listening to music. 10 hours after charge im at 60-50% depending on use. As soon as it hits 40% it starts to drain faster for some reason. I also tried the soft reset (holding the Power button for 8 sec.) and it actually gave me 2% more after restarting. I?ve not been charging it more than once a day and only fully charging then. Don't know if it helps any if you, but wanted to share what worked for me. - I Really like my 930 !!

doisy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using mine for 8 days by now, haven't noticed an improvement yet. Standby mode is great but after using whatsapp for 5 minutes, it went down by 3%.

kloon

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been using mine for 8 days by now, haven't noticed an improvement yet. Standby mode is great but after using whatsapp for 5 minutes, it went down by 3%.
I went back to the store with my lumia.
Because it was within 7 days I could exchange it with no problems.
the 2nd one is so much better
it is less hot and the battery will last longer.
Send it back and ask for a replacement

Sthalvo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I got my 930 on monday and i went to the beautiful city off Copenhagen (Denmark) on tuesday (im from Sweden). Left home around 08:30 with fully charged 930.

And i used the phone extensively, Used as gps for 30min beacuse we got off at the wrong station and took 100 photos in Copenhagen Zoo. Sent a few sms and mms. Called my friends a few times beacuse we got seperated.

We took the train home at 18:00. I had 64% left off my battery charge. If its good or bad i dont know but i think its pretty good.

Hi MatyAB

Would be interresting to know what apps you let running in the background or if you hade disabled a lot of them. Did you have location services on all the time and what about data/LTE? And motiondata? NFC? Bluetooth? WiFi? And I guess the battery saving option wasn't on?

Because if my 930 is draining about 6-7% battery every hour with very light use. But I have data/LTE, Bluetooth, wifi and motion sensor on all the time.

Sthalvo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I have been trying to "read" the native battery app, but can anyone explain what the bars mean?

wp_ss_20140716_0001.jpg

I can understand that Wordament used a lot of battery, as I got hooked yesterday, but why the phone "app" should have used a lot I dont understand because I havn't talked that much on the phone. Or does the bars represent togheter the whole use?

Couldn't find any articel or post or nothing on this topic, so that is why I'm asking you experts. ;)

Thank you for your answer. :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Chances are the Phone app includes something other than just phone calls. Perhaps signal-based battery drain is included. People who live near the edge of fe. 4G and 3G area often have their phone keep switching between the two all the time and this consumes more battery than just being in either 4G or 3G when the phone has to search for signal constantly. This kind of behavior I guess could be listed under Phone-app? Or then it's just a display bug..?

Sthalvo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Aha...didn't think of the battery consumption used when switching between 3G and 4G. Perheps that can explain a lot that my battery seems to drain faster when at home. I have excellent 3G coverage at home but poor 4G, but at work it's the other way around.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You could try what happens if you force the phone to stay at 3G for example, but I'm not sure if it helps if that leads to poor reception at work.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Update after one and a halft weeks use:

It's getting better. Yesterday I used the phone with bluetooth and cellular data playing music in my car for 2.5 hours. I had cellular data on for about 5 hours with emails, Facebook and Internet Explorer use. I also did 5 calls that lastet around 10 minutes each. I ended the day with WIFI on for about 8 hours and moderate facebook and app use.

It lasted all day and went to Battery Save mode 2 hours before I went to bed and started to charge it.

It was out of the charger that day for about 16 hours, and it kept going even with a lot of use. The day before it was almost the same use, but with hardly any cellular data and music use. It never got near the battery save mode.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to "read" the native battery app, but can anyone explain what the bars mean?

View attachment 72162

I can understand that Wordament used a lot of battery, as I got hooked yesterday, but why the phone "app" should have used a lot I dont understand because I havn't talked that much on the phone. Or does the bars represent togheter the whole use?

Couldn't find any articel or post or nothing on this topic, so that is why I'm asking you experts. ;)

Thank you for your answer. :)

If you press any of the apps in that list you'll see how much battery they use in the background and opened. You can also swipe to the right to see a little bit more about charging times and so on. The photo you added only shows the apps that use battery and sort of how much.

Sthalvo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If you press any of the apps in that list you'll see how much battery they use in the background and opened. You can also swipe to the right to see a little bit more about charging times and so on. The photo you added only shows the apps that use battery and sort of how much.

Yes I know I can "click in" on the apps in the list and that bigger the bar, the more battery it has consumed.
But was wondering what the "measurment" of the bar is, if you understand? :)

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading a lot into the 930 battery issue but it can't b worse than my 1020, right?
I had a 1520 before & used it for about 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong is a wonderful phone & has great battery life. The only problem I have is when I want to take it out from my pocket especially when I'm seating down. That is the only gripe I have about the 1520. Everything else is absolutely great. It would have been an ideal package if is 5.5." After much consideration I have decided to get the 930 but will still keep my 1020 because of its cam.
Cheers mate!

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Generally happy with the battery life of my Lumia 930. Too early to tell quite yet though since it's very new.

Took it off charger 9:30pm last night. Did some minor Tapatalking and then went to bed at around 12am. Woke up 6 hours later and the phone had used 2% battery over data connection. That's very good. Now it's 5:30pm and it's at 70% battery right now. Though I have been using it pretty gently today at work. Few calls. A little SMS/WhatsApp messaged and some other stuff + maybe 20 minutes of Spotify streaming. So i have not even gone through a full charge yet. I did however let it run completely dry once till the phone died. I always do that with new phone as batteries often needs that calibration. Looks like I can get two days out of it if I dont' use it too much.

buSFPo.jpg

GoGgau.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos