12-30-2014 04:11 AM
65 123
tools
    I should had known myself better. In the end the uneven uniformity of the screen got the best of me. Even though it was very little, knowing it was there I noticed it all the time and I did not like that at all. So today I took a chance and went to replace my phone with a new one. And bam now I have a 930 that has a perfectly uniform screen. So now I'm a happy camper.
    Hi mate,

Did you just take back to the shop? Did they show any resistance or was it straight forward. Thinking of taking mine back tomorrow to try and exchange it.

Cheers,
    Sonna
    08-11-2014 12:22 PM
    Hi mate,

Did you just take back to the shop? Did they show any resistance or was it straight forward. Thinking of taking mine back tomorrow to try and exchange it.

Cheers,
    Sonna

Just took it back and told them my problem. They did not argue at all they just replaced it. Bought it on NetOnNet.
    08-11-2014 01:14 PM
    I've had a look at the Icon forums and I noticed that the "gradient" and purple hue issue are not unique to the 930, it seems to have occurred with the Icon aswell
    08-11-2014 03:06 PM
    Well, I took my phone in to report the issue and they couldn't replace it in store as I've had it longer than 14 days... so they're having to send it off :-( Back to using my iPhone 4 for now...
    08-12-2014 05:22 AM
    But WHO USING MAX Brightness ? I have 920 i tried max brightness and it was like fire in eye...
    And if you leave it on automatic - you will not know screen uniformity, and outside on bright day when phone itself set max, that will be last thing you notice...
    08-12-2014 05:53 AM
    But WHO USING MAX Brightness ? I have 920 i tried max brightness and it was like fire in eye...

And if you leave it on automatic - you will not know screen uniformity, and outside on bright day when phone itself set max, that will be last thing you notice...

The uneven screen uniformity was visible inside even on low brightness.
    08-12-2014 06:53 AM
    So... I sent my phone back to EE.

They've had a look, and are now sending it back.

Here is their (brief) report...

FAULT DESCRIPTION
    Display - Main display - Display Missing segment(s)

REPAIR DESCRIPTION
    Adjustment -
    Software update -
    Screening -

Take from that what you will. I don't have it back yet. Will let you know when I do.
    08-20-2014 07:34 AM
    So... I sent my phone back to EE.

They've had a look, and are now sending it back.

Here is their (brief) report...

FAULT DESCRIPTION
    Display - Main display - Display Missing segment(s)

REPAIR DESCRIPTION
    Adjustment -
    Software update -
    Screening -

Take from that what you will. I don't have it back yet. Will let you know when I do.
    I hope they were able to fix it for you. I returned my second unit as it also had the issue. I did not notice it until a little while because of a horizontal gradient like on the first unit, the second one had a vertical one and I was just so happy at first that the horizontal gradient was gone so I did not bother looking more for it. Then when I put the phone into landscape one day and was about to type a message I saw I had a horrible vertical gradient instead. Just made me mad and returned the phone.

Now I sort of have hopes that WP 8.1 will be ported to the M8 as it was back in the days to the HTC HD2 who could dual boot. Apparently the bootloader should be the same in the WP version of the M8 so I think WP will be ported to the Android M8 also like it was to the HD2.
    08-20-2014 08:34 AM
    Well.... I got the phone back. No different whatsoever. I've given up trying to sort it now.

However, at the store the lady behind the counter asked if I had my SIM. I said yes... then she proceeded to rip the back cover off! I said no no the SIM goes in at the top. She said OK, slapped the case back on, and stuffed the phone in to its box.

I wanted to check the phone was OK in the store but my son was with me and playing up so just took the phone and went home.

And now... I have a phone where the back cover doesn't go on properly - isn't flush - clicks when you press it... aarrrgh.

So another trip back to the store tomorrow to boot off.

FML...
    08-21-2014 03:52 PM
    I received my Lumia 930 a couple of days ago. I noticed there was uneven brightness on the screen. More annoyingly it was brighter in the lower left of the screen, resulting in all menus (which run along the bottom of the screen) looking like it has a gradient fill. Left of the bar was lighter. It has driven me nuts, hence why I'm sending it back for a replacement.

Is the brightness uniformity issue on most handsets? I've also noticed a purple tint on the right side of my screen on a white background, even after the latest DP update it didn't change much.

I just hope my replacement is ok.
    09-25-2014 09:15 AM
    My Lumia 930 (bought in Greece) has this problem (screen is gradient on gray/white backgrounds, from left to right). I had the device for a few days and then send it to the authorized service, due to a hiss on the speaker and some touch screen issues. They returned it to me after a few days, by saying that "device is OK", since they didn't notice what i reported (i guess those issues are "normal" for a 930).

But, when i got it back, i noticed the screen uniformity issue. I guess they would have find it on service, so maybe it's another issue for which they don't offer a replacement device (in other words, it might be pointless sending it back again. Also, i'm over the 14-day return window, so, at best, the'll replace the screen).

I'm now stuck with this issue and can't help but notice it, even though i'm trying to "optimize" it using the Display app.

I really wish Denim update could fix this... And i was really expecting better build quality from Nokia/Microsoft.

Trying to support the Windows Phone ecosystem and getting screwed like this? Not good...
    Last edited by DJDBgr; 12-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    12-19-2014 02:46 PM
    To whom it may concern, Denim update does not fix the problem with screen uniformity. I mean this:

img_20141228_043754.jpg

There seems to be two similar problems: one which is software related and generates a tint even on black backgrounds (and seems to have been fixed a few months back with a firmware update). The other one (which occurs on my device) is hardware related and has to do with the amoled screen. For this, nothing helps, left side is always darker/bluish/purplish, right side is brighter/greenish/yellowish (on other devices, it may be the upper and lower section). It mostly happens on gray/white backgrounds. So, don't get confused.

Also, there is a third problem, with purplish/greenish tint when automatic brightness kicks in. Denim update won't fix this also. But i do think that this is software related. In any case, you may use manual brightness.

So, after my local authorized support (in Greece) said that my device "is OK", i'm in contact with the official Lumia support via Twitter. Maybe they can find a solution. If not, i'm going back to the local support.

I think that Lumia 930 uses a Samsung screen. This explains a lot, since many earlier Galaxy models had screen problems (even my Galaxy Nexus. They changed my screen three times, every time the result was awful).
    12-27-2014 08:56 PM
    Just got two Icons (basically same as 930). Both have uniformity issues with the screen. I am not going to sweat it, though, it is a super phone overall.
    12-27-2014 09:07 PM
    More on this: according to the Twitter account Lumiahelp and their reply to me, Microsoft is working on a new update that will deliver improvements for devices with screen discolourations.

We have been made aware of an issue where the displays on a limited number of Lumia 930 units are exhibiting discolourations. This phenomenon is due to the performance of the display in certain brightness conditions. However, we have identified the root cause and are currently working on a software update that will deliver improvements.
    Unfortunately, i can't post links.

2014-12-29_175342.jpg
    12-29-2014 09:49 AM
    Looks like MS acknowledged the issue and a fix is coming soon

Microsoft reportedly working on a fix for Lumia 930 display woes | Windows Central
    12-30-2014 04:11 AM
65 123