Screen Uniformity

garymontague

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have asked this in the bugs and defects thread but to no response so I thought I'd ask here as I may get a better response.

Now that the 930's have started to arrive does anybody else's screen seem to be a bit darker on one side with a grey background?

When on the normal homescreen with a black background image the screen is perfectly black. However when I am on a screen with a greyish background (ie setting the country, setting the alarm time etc the grey background is a darker grey on the left hand side. Even with the keyboard open it is still slightly there.

Is this just mine or is this normal?

Thanks

doisy

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have asked this in the bugs and defects thread but to no response so I thought I'd ask here as I may get a better response.

Now that the 930's have started to arrive does anybody else's screen seem to be a bit darker on one side with a grey background?

When on the normal homescreen with a black background image the screen is perfectly black. However when I am on a screen with a greyish background (ie setting the country, setting the alarm time etc the grey background is a darker grey on the left hand side. Even with the keyboard open it is still slightly there.

Is this just mine or is this normal?

Thanks

Yes, same here. I've heard that this affected some Icon users as well, but apparently Nokia fixed it with a firmware update (anybody able to confirm this?)

I doubt that it's the phone being broken and not displaying a proper black though, as like you said the phone is able to display a perfect phone when turning it on. Therefore my guess is that it's a software issue.

garymontague

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've tried to take some photos but they haven't come out too well - it doesn't really show the dark to light difference as much as there really is.

The first photo is when the screen is black and fine the next ones are trying to show how the left side is darker on greyer screens.
rahu7edu.jpg
a8u8yzu7.jpg
ana4ezap.jpg
ynapy4um.jpg

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that third picture really shows up the problem!

Although it might look like a hardware problem, the OLED screen produces it's own light, so a firmware update may well be able to fix this.... I assume therefore that you've checked the phone updates?

It might be useful if you could post up your firmware version, and someone who is not experiencing this can post up theirs?
(I don't have one yet so I can't check :( )

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello, first time poster here.
I got my Lumia 930 yesterday, European model, and it shows the exact same problem as reported by "garymontague".
I didn't notice it right at the beginning because I thought the phone was displaying a very dark shade of grey instead of black, and that the horizontal unevenness (also identical, in mine, to that shown in the photos above... that gives some hope it could be s/w related) was a physiologic imperfection. Also with auto brightness the screen is sufficiently dark to not notice it right away. But put it to manual high brightness ...

I really hope this is just a firmware issue and that Nokia hasn't created the first OLED display with LCD "characteristics". I already swallowed the screen being a Pentile, down from my previous htc one, now this contrast thing... I didn't buy a new phone with the idea of it being worse than my old phone!!

P.s.
os version: 8.10.12397.895
fw: 02061.00066.14252.51001
hw: 2.0.0.0

garymontague

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Screen Uniformaty

Yes I've checked for updates and I'm up to date.

I have checked my firmware etc and it is the same as 'sibirsk' above except that my firmware ends in 51002.

Can people without this issue check theirs and report back please.

Thanks
Sent from my RM-1045_1011 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
wait, is the screen where you list alarms perfectly black? in my phone it's not black, it shows the same gray gradient. I've yet to find a true OLED black in this phone, while having brightness at max...

garymontague

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the screen where the alarm times are listed is a perfect black (except for the menu bar at the bottom). It's only when I go to change the time of an alarm that the background turns to a greyish colour and the dark to light of the screen is noticeable.

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've set the brightness to max and rebooted the phone. The "goodbye" screen was grayish in background. When rebooting, the Nokia and WP logo were with a perfect black background... Then, software kicked in and the black screen turned gray, and showed the welcome text (or whatever WP displays at this stage).
Based on this I surmise it must be a software thing, maybe some display color setting or some trick to make the screen seem brighter... who knows.
Is there an official place to submit these issues?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's face it: While the 930 has a sharp screen with good color rendition, it seem that Nokia is using a fairly cheap panel. Lots of discoloration issues (when scrolling, for example), lousy viewing angles (resulting in yet more discoloration when tilting the screen), blurry text when scrolling because the refresh rate is too slow.

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Let's face it: While the 930 has a sharp screen with good color rendition, it seem that Nokia is using a fairly cheap panel. Lots of discoloration issues (when scrolling, for example), lousy viewing angles (resulting in yet more discoloration when tilting the screen), blurry text when scrolling because the refresh rate is too slow.

Yet Nokia is using the same amoled panel as the Samsung galaxy s4, sources say.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yet Nokia is using the same amoled panel as the Samsung galaxy s4, sources say.

Care to name those "sources"? Considering the fact that the S4 doesn't show any of the Lumia 930's display issues (bad viewing angles, blur when scrolling, uneven illumination, color casts), it's somewhat unlikely they share the same panel.

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any proof, but it being Pentile and being referred to as an AMOLED display ... besides, how many OLED suppliers are in the world which can sustain Nokia's needs?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss