Screen Uniformity

TheOzgun

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok I noticed something:

Last night I hard resetted my phone and the black issue disappeared, blacks are perfectly black. BUT as soon as I update the diaplay app it gets screwed again. So I did another hard reset, set the updates to manual.

However, this does NOT solve the purple tint.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have this gradient on gray colors ever so slightly. It's barely visible so I think I will live with it. I see it if I'm looking for it. Not sure I want to exchange my phone and risk getting a new one that is worse or the same. I have no other issues.

I can hardly capture it on a photo so I won't bother changing it no. As I said it's only sliiiightly visible. This is unfortunately common on Nokia displays as back in the Lumia 800 days I had to change my phone three times to get one that had a uniform screen. Sorry to see their technology hasn't improved.

SpCojG.jpg

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Same here - I feel it is mostly visible on grey backgrounds of some sort, i.e. the keyboard area or when making a call. blacks are perfect on mine, greys uneven and ... quite crap to be honest with you.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes it only shows up on grays such as on the OS screens for calls, setting alarm time etc. My whites and blacks are perfectly fine and any other color. Can see it on the keyboard too very slightly if I'm looking for it. But the fact that I almost have to look for it and it's not very visible makes me afraid to even try to exchange it because I don't want to go through the possible hassle of switching several times like with my Lumia. I'll settle with the little I have as can be seen on the photo above.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes it only shows up on grays such as on the OS screens for calls, setting alarm time etc. My whites and blacks are perfectly fine and any other color. Can see it on the keyboard too very slightly if I'm looking for it. But the fact that I almost have to look for it and it's not very visible makes me afraid to even try to exchange it because I don't want to go through the possible hassle of switching several times like with my Lumia. I'll settle with the little I have as can be seen on the photo above.

Same here, I guess. Although I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of the panel on the 930.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I guess. Although I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of the panel on the 930.

Yeah same here. It still has the exact same problems the Lumia 800 had on its Amoled screen. One would think they had improved the technology by now.

hutchinsane

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I made a video showing the issue. Compare the dead-black boot screens versus the blacks in notification center.

Two pics as well:

View attachment 72629
View attachment 72630

About the purple hue, I have it on the top of my display. First one is a white PNG (255,255,255) and the second is %50 gray (128,128,128). It's visible on the right side of the images:

View attachment 72631
View attachment 72632

Try to uninstall the Nokia Display App by setting the date on your phone to the year 2300 and tapping on "display" this fixed the issue for me, at least the one I see in the second picture in your post :)

Nathan Bates

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I would love to know, now, is who makes our oled display.

I do believe it is likely one of Samsung's AMOLED displays, possibly the same model or similar to that used on the Galaxy S4, it does appear to use the same Samsung Pentile subpixel layout and have similar characteristics, i'm fairly certain that Samsung have supplied just about all of Nokia's AMOLED panels over the past 3-4 years:
[I cannot post links but look at page 3 of the gsmarena Lumia 930 review]

An in depth look at the characteristics of the Samsung Galaxy S4 display by Erica of angeloftech website: [I cannot post links but look at Erica's "Galaxy S4 ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW: Part 2 (Displays)" video on Youtube, searching that exact text should get you to it.]

Erica notes that each particular Samsung AMOLED panel tends to have varying qualities as far as image quality, accuracy and display uniformity goes also noted is how bad colors on many devices get when you drop brightness below a certain level (around 50%), many people came across this throughout Samsung's Android devices with AMOLED panels, and many apparently had success just swapping them for replacements until they were happy with what they got, or simply getting a refund and going elsewhere (which tended to be nowhere if you wanted android a few years back).

edit: seems wpcentral is using a full name instead of what I thought I set as my username... don't suppose there's a way for me to change that?

Last edited:

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The pentile matrix on the lumia icon look pretty much the same as the 930 in that GSMarena review, found this magnification of the icon's pixels:
13039853035_feebb236b7_o.jpg

And here's that of the 930:
nokia-lumia-930.jpg

So I don't think they used a cheaper panel for the 930 than for the icon (which was a theory I recall reading somewhere)

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I should had known myself better. In the end the uneven uniformity of the screen got the best of me. Even though it was very little, knowing it was there I noticed it all the time and I did not like that at all. So today I took a chance and went to replace my phone with a new one. And bam now I have a 930 that has a perfectly uniform screen. So now I'm a happy camper.

swedishsonna

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I should had known myself better. In the end the uneven uniformity of the screen got the best of me. Even though it was very little, knowing it was there I noticed it all the time and I did not like that at all. So today I took a chance and went to replace my phone with a new one. And bam now I have a 930 that has a perfectly uniform screen. So now I'm a happy camper.

Hi mate,

Did you just take back to the shop? Did they show any resistance or was it straight forward. Thinking of taking mine back tomorrow to try and exchange it.

Cheers,
Sonna

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi mate,

Did you just take back to the shop? Did they show any resistance or was it straight forward. Thinking of taking mine back tomorrow to try and exchange it.

Cheers,
Sonna

Just took it back and told them my problem. They did not argue at all they just replaced it. Bought it on NetOnNet.

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I've had a look at the Icon forums and I noticed that the "gradient" and purple hue issue are not unique to the 930, it seems to have occurred with the Icon aswell

swedishsonna

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I took my phone in to report the issue and they couldn't replace it in store as I've had it longer than 14 days... so they're having to send it off :-( Back to using my iPhone 4 for now...

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
But WHO USING MAX Brightness ? I have 920 i tried max brightness and it was like fire in eye...
And if you leave it on automatic - you will not know screen uniformity, and outside on bright day when phone itself set max, that will be last thing you notice...

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
But WHO USING MAX Brightness ? I have 920 i tried max brightness and it was like fire in eye...

And if you leave it on automatic - you will not know screen uniformity, and outside on bright day when phone itself set max, that will be last thing you notice...

The uneven screen uniformity was visible inside even on low brightness.

swedishsonna

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So... I sent my phone back to EE.

They've had a look, and are now sending it back.

Here is their (brief) report...

FAULT DESCRIPTION
Display - Main display - Display Missing segment(s)

REPAIR DESCRIPTION
Adjustment -
Software update -
Screening -

Take from that what you will. I don't have it back yet. Will let you know when I do.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So... I sent my phone back to EE.

They've had a look, and are now sending it back.

Here is their (brief) report...

FAULT DESCRIPTION
Display - Main display - Display Missing segment(s)

REPAIR DESCRIPTION
Adjustment -
Software update -
Screening -

Take from that what you will. I don't have it back yet. Will let you know when I do.

I hope they were able to fix it for you. I returned my second unit as it also had the issue. I did not notice it until a little while because of a horizontal gradient like on the first unit, the second one had a vertical one and I was just so happy at first that the horizontal gradient was gone so I did not bother looking more for it. Then when I put the phone into landscape one day and was about to type a message I saw I had a horrible vertical gradient instead. Just made me mad and returned the phone.

Now I sort of have hopes that WP 8.1 will be ported to the M8 as it was back in the days to the HTC HD2 who could dual boot. Apparently the bootloader should be the same in the WP version of the M8 so I think WP will be ported to the Android M8 also like it was to the HD2.

swedishsonna

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Well.... I got the phone back. No different whatsoever. I've given up trying to sort it now.

However, at the store the lady behind the counter asked if I had my SIM. I said yes... then she proceeded to rip the back cover off! I said no no the SIM goes in at the top. She said OK, slapped the case back on, and stuffed the phone in to its box.

I wanted to check the phone was OK in the store but my son was with me and playing up so just took the phone and went home.

And now... I have a phone where the back cover doesn't go on properly - isn't flush - clicks when you press it... aarrrgh.

So another trip back to the store tomorrow to boot off.

FML...

dotnethaggis

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I received my Lumia 930 a couple of days ago. I noticed there was uneven brightness on the screen. More annoyingly it was brighter in the lower left of the screen, resulting in all menus (which run along the bottom of the screen) looking like it has a gradient fill. Left of the bar was lighter. It has driven me nuts, hence why I'm sending it back for a replacement.

Is the brightness uniformity issue on most handsets? I've also noticed a purple tint on the right side of my screen on a white background, even after the latest DP update it didn't change much.

I just hope my replacement is ok.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99