What happened to the "Show more tiles" option?

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I just got the L930 with cyan and WP8.1. However, the tiles on the start screen are too small for my (old) eyes, and I was going to use the "Show more tiles" option in the settings->start+theme screen - which I had on my 920 DP8.1 preview. But this option is gone!!!
Is it really not possible to configure this? I cannot read the text on any of my large tiles anymore (e.g. calendar, etc). For me the phone is useless if this cannot be configured. I thought what I had in the preview would be available in the "real thing ..." :unhappysweat:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe the show more tiles element is enabled on higher resolution screen phones by default. I don't think there is a way to turn it back to bigger/or fewer tiles, I'm afraid. Maybe someone else can clarify though.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely correct. There is no setting for 5"+ devices to go with "Less tiles". The effect of "More tiles" is far more reaching than just more tiles on the Start screen. It actually controls the amount of information shown everywhere in the OS.

Should the L930 have had the option of only 2 columns in the Start Screen, you would've noticed how the general UI would've been just an enlarged L920 UI. It would've not utilized the screen estate better at all.

I'm just explaining how this works. I know it's weird that Microsoft coupled the whole UI scaling just to the "Show More Tiles" button.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Should the L930 have had the option of only 2 columns in the Start Screen, you would've noticed how the general UI would've been just an enlarged L920 UI. It would've not utilized the screen estate better at all.
I know. But that is what I want. What's the point with more data if I cannot read it?
And if you already have code to configure the start screen - why don't you make it available to all devices. Let the user decide!
So now, since I cannot read the text on the bigger tiles anyway, I can make them all small and I got myself an Android or an iPhone. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Szon Konnery

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
As far as i remember you can use screen magnifier(double tap with two fingers) and set text size. Both features are in
Settings -> ease of access :)

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.
But it does not seem to work on the Start Screen.

I also noticed another bug:
Settings->notifications+action is missing all my apps. It only includes the standard system "stuff". So I cannot turn notification on/off on an application basis any more. Nor configure the sound.
This worked perfect in DP8.1

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.
But it does not seem to work on the Start Screen.

I also noticed another bug:
Settings->notifications+action is missing all my apps. It only includes the standard system "stuff". So I cannot turn notification on/off on an application basis any more. Nor configure the sound.
This worked perfect in DP8.1

apps have to push a notification first before they will show up there.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Why not use the largest tile + medium tile combination in the start screen and then increase the font size under accessibility? Secondly screen magnifier does work on the start screen

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I do use the biggest tiles - where applicable: Calendar, weather, news, rss reader, etc. But on the 930, the text is so small, that I have problems reading it (old guy, you know ...). The font size in "ease if access" does not seem to apply to the text used on tiles.
... and I got the magnifier working. It is OK, but sometimes the double tapping causes an app to open instead ....

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I do use the biggest tiles - where applicable: Calendar, weather, news, rss reader, etc. But on the 930, the text is so small, that I have problems reading it (old guy, you know ...). The font size in "ease if access" does not seem to apply to the text used on tiles.
... and I got the magnifier working. It is OK, but sometimes the double tapping causes an app to open instead ....

Some apps are starting to optimise their tiles for the 3 columns - I.e. I have a note taking app that has an option to make the text on the note tile larger for 3-column screens. Aside from that, I can see your problem (my father has terrible eyesight too), but can you imagine a two-column start screens on a 5-inch, yet alone six inch display? It would look a little weird. My advice is maybe try out the 1520 (larger screen, bigger tiles) and then take back your 930 and swap it. They're basically the same phone components-wise, and don't underestimate the size, 1520 users will tell you it's not as impractical as it seems :p

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I think it's weird you can't see properly what's written on them.

I can see good enough what's written in my wide tiles on a 4.3" display with 3 columns. Not perfectly since the fonts are quite thin due to the resolution (800x480).

I would think with 5" and 1080p everything would be big and sharp enough.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
i think he might be trolling

I think it's weird you can't see properly what's written on them.

I can see good enough what's written in my wide tiles on a 4.3" display with 3 columns. Not perfectly since the fonts are quite thin due to the resolution (800x480).

I would think with 5" and 1080p everything would be big and sharp enough.

My uncle has problems reading the text off wide tiles on his Lumia 920 with 3 columns. OP said his vision isn't perfect, so it's a perfectly respectable thing to ask. This is why my friend's father has a Note 3 (for the bigger screen)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My uncle has problems reading the text off wide tiles on his Lumia 920 with 3 columns. OP said his vision isn't perfect, so it's a perfectly respectable thing to ask. This is why my friend's father has a Note 3 (for the bigger screen)

I have decent vision, and I still find three columns on my 4.5" 920 a bit smaller than my liking. But the space!
spaaaaaacccceeee!

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
3 columns on my 920 is too small for me as well.
I have yet to see the 930 in person, but hopefully with the slightly larger screen and higher resolution it will be OK for me.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Same here, 1020 with 8.1 DP, and when i enable 3 columns, everything becomes too small, and specially my 3rd party stocks app text becomes so tiny, you can't read it anymore. When the 1520 came out, Joe tweeted that the feature was ONLY for 6 inch devices, and then in 8.1 DP it became an option. It's crazy that they would take away the option on the 930 and force you to use 3 columns. I can understand 2 columns on a 1520 would be really huge, but on the 930, i don't think 2 columns would be that bad.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That option was for phones with less than 5" displays and like others said reverting back to larger tiles would not have utilized the screen real estate efficiently. Also the screen magnifier does work on the start screen, tried it on my 920 and it does work but it is somewhat fiddly.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft, for some stupid reason no one understands, disabled that for larger screens. It's ridiculous. I can jam 3 columns on a 620 with only 3.8" and I can't have only 2 columns on the 930? Really?

As for those asking "why don't you want 3 columns". Uh...because I don't? Because I don't like it? Because I think the screen ends up too cluttered? Because the tiles get reduced in size and therefore harder to read? Because it's an organizational MESS?

The 3 column of tiles should have NEVER been introduced without further tile sizes. I would accept it if they had created an extra-wide tile (2x6) that would cross the screen from left to right and a extra-larger 3x3 tile.

I really really really hope that Microsoft corrects this on a GDR. Otherwise I'm not sure I'll be using the 930 as much as I would like because these 3 columns really get on my nerves as they are...=\

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Wazzim - you dont read what he said ? Its not a problem of reading... Its problem thats he WANTS that and MS disabled that option, even they enabled it on devices where you never tun it on. And thats it.. WHY ? If this option on 3,8" why not on 5" ?
Second problem is live tiles are not corrected for 3 collums.. So why MS forcing users, who pay for that phone, to use it ???

Prudhvi Raj

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
As far as i remember you can use screen magnifier(double tap with two fingers) and set text size. Both features are in
Settings -> ease of access :)

hey guys.. my cousin is visually impaired (50-70%).. its seems he has trouble with the text size in settings page.. do we have any magnifier in the store??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb