Newbie Question... 16mp images?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe there are solutions for the problems you are facing.

First of all if your comparing the Lumia 930's camera to that of iPhone 5S's camera, opt for 4:3 to get 19 Megapixel images. iPhone also uses 4:3.

Furthermore if you want to upload high resolution images to OneDrive, you have to switch to the 5 + 19 MP JPEG.

Then you must go to settings > applications > photos+camera > Auto-Upload > OneDrive.

After your there enable Auto upload and set image quality to high(as I've done in the below photo).

vehezese.png

There is another way if you want to completely remove the 5 MP JPEGs. Download an app called 1shot by Invoke IT Limited, it allows you take one uncompressed 19 Megapixel image that you are free to edit or share, the 1shot app also has continuous focus so it will snap photos much faster.

If you still have any issues, please do not hesitate to ask me for help regarding any issues you face.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

First of all if your comparing the Lumia 930's camera to that of iPhone 5S's camera, opt for 4:3 to get 19 Megapixel images. iPhone also uses 4:3.

Furthermore if you want to upload high resolution images to OneDrive, you have to switch to the 5 + 19 MP JPEG.

Then you must go to settings > applications > photos+camera > Auto-Upload > OneDrive.

After your there enable Auto upload and set image quality to high(as I've done in the below photo).

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/12/vehezese.png

There is another way if you want to completely remove the 5 MP JPEGs. Download an app called 1shot by Invoke IT Limited, it allows you take one uncompressed 19 Megapixel image that you are free to edit or share, the 1shot app also has continuous focus so it will snap photos much faster.

If you still have any issues, please do not hesitate to ask me for help regarding any issues you face.

Cheers dude much appreciated. I'll look at this.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/12/vehezese.png

Switched to 4:3 still only 5mp using the ms camera and Nokia camera. Its really weird just wanna produce some good pics lol. I'll connect to my laptop shortly and see what I can see.

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
i've followed what he said.

If you have the app "files" by microsoft. Go to pictures and camera roll. It shows both the 5mp and hi-res 16/19mp images as separate files. I've also changed it so the 19mp photos upload to onedrive.

I would also advise to check out the settings while using nokia camera where you click the 3 dots, then look at tutorials, theyre very informative on how to get the best photos under different circumstances. The results are awesome.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest you set it to 5MP + 16MP DNG, and then get yourself lightroom, photoshop or even something free. Just importing them and letting Lightroom set the white balance improves the picture so extremely.. it's really awesome what the camera can da, but it misses the white balance quite a few times..

This is cool, but don't you think its an too much.

Showing off my phone to an iPhone owner. Oh man you have to wait and see how my photos look when I get back home, connect my phone to the pc, fix them and send them to you. You will be amazed.

I would do it lol, but I'm sure a lot or people wont, and will think that the camera is bad. Just my opinion

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Btw, don't think there is a 20mp image any where one the phone, its a 16mp sensor, then the phone generates a 5mp picture from that.

Bastards they are, they combined them both and even got a wrong number while summation to reach 20mp.

Honestly I'm thinking of buying one and going to Nokia care to tell them I'm not getting 20mp photos as stated on my phone, report it faulty. I hate them.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Btw, don't think there is a 20mp image any where one the phone, its a 16mp sensor, then the phone generates a 5mp picture from that.

Bastards they are, they combined them both and even got a wrong number while summation to reach 20mp.

Honestly I'm thinking of buying one and going to Nokia care to tell them I'm not getting 20mp photos as stated on my phone, report it faulty. I hate them.
Wrong its a 20 MP camera, the 5 MP photo is a high quality oversampled images from the 20 MP image. It's a 4:1 ratio and produces very good photos. You should read the Pureview white paper from Nokia. My Icon photos are generally better than both my wife's & daughters 5S photos. Their cameras are really fast though.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is taken from the 1020 white paper "The 41-megapixel sensor on the Lumia 1020 will give you a 5 megapixel image when you shoot using the stock or Nokia camera app. However, the 5 megapixels you get aren?t generated using only that many pixels. Nokia utilizes an oversampling method which allows every pixel to collect data from seven pixels around it, to generate the output of that one particular pixel. What that means is each pixel from the Lumia 1020 is delivering detail and clarity that you would normally get from a photosite comprised of 7 pixels. The image is captured using every single pixel on the sensor (effectively 41.3MP in 4:3 and 33.8MP in 16:9), and the pixels are extrapolated into a 5 megapixel image to yield detail like you?ve never seen before."

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Switched to 4:3 still only 5mp using the ms camera and Nokia camera. Its really weird just wanna produce some good pics lol. I'll connect to my laptop shortly and see what I can see.

Are you using Stock camera or Nokia Camera? You should try Nokia Camera BETA, maybe.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
My L1520 makes amazing pictures. Even the compressed jpg's look stunningly beautiful on my HD tv and when i show them to friends and family they can't believe it came out of a smartphone.
Now, that is the compressed picture.
Next to that picture the camera also makes an uncompressed file with the same name but with the extension DNG which you cannot see or open in the Phone.
It requires Lightroom or another program that can handle DNG (raw) files. Open them and you wil be amazed of what you can do with them everything is adjustable without any loss of quality.
Of course you would only do this with pictures you are very happy with, for the others the jpg would suffice and you can throw the DNG's away.
Why they do it this way?
Bandwith is the key, suppose i go on holiday and take 250 pictures and a few video's and upload them automatically, with 250 of each 20mb pictures that would be extreme.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Okay, for clarification: ImageCrops-Circle.png Here you go, the sensor does have 20,7 MP, but for a rectangular picture, some of them need to be "sacrificed". Every camera is labelled with the absolute count of pixels.
And another thing, there's basically no phone that can nearly measure the light to set the white balance, it's always computed afterwards. The problem is, Apple is by far the best in that category, while Nokia still struggles. The pictures are not bad, but with missed white balance, they don't look nearly as good as they could be. For me, it's not too bad, I don't really have a problem with letting my PC auto correct them.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Shame it does not use the full advertised 20.7MP camera! Wonder why they chose to do it like this as they are pushing the fact it has the 20MP shooter... kinda false advertising if it does not take full advantage of the full resolution.

Change aspect ratio to 4:3 instead of 16:9 and it will use more pixels.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Change aspect ratio to 4:3 instead of 16:9 and it will use more pixels.

I have and I also found the Nokia camera beta app. Still not too impressed, starting to think my iphone produces better images.

But the can look blurry when on a pc. I need to look at my Lumia 930 shots on my laptop.

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have and I also found the Nokia camera beta app. Still not too impressed, starting to think my iphone produces better images.

But the can look blurry when on a pc. I need to look at my Lumia 930 shots on my laptop.

thats incredibly disapointing. Im looking at moving over from the 5s, but this the ability to not upload at full resolution without needing a PC is misguided.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am now officially confused. I might just try it out when I am at the mall next.

So, can you or can't you, snap a full resolution picture, and upload it directly to onedrive? I am getting really confused.
And, can you or can't you, access that full resolution picture on the phone's default photo gallery?
And, if you plug in the phone to the computer, will you be able to open the full resolution photos without additional software required apart from Microsoft's default picture viewer?

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am now officially confused. I might just try it out when I am at the mall next.

So, can you or can't you, snap a full resolution picture, and upload it directly to onedrive? I am getting really confused.
And, can you or can't you, access that full resolution picture on the phone's default photo gallery?
And, if you plug in the phone to the computer, will you be able to open the full resolution photos without additional software required apart from Microsoft's default picture viewer?

Your confused? imagine a regular customer deciding between WP and Android/iOS

What a stupid thing MSFT has done

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99