12-29-2015 03:16 PM
71 123
tools
    Hi there,
    I am trying to do a comparison between iPhone 5s and the Lumia 930 but have an issue! How do i get the high-res version of the images off the phone?

I only seem to have the 5mp ones and to be honest they are not as good as the iPhone camera lol. I really want to show off this camera better so any advise would be much appreciated. Once done i will upload the photos i have :D

Cheers guys.
    07-10-2014 05:24 AM
    First, Congrats for Lumia 930 :)
    Second, idk really know but in my Lumia 820 I get the best of my camera by controlling the Aspect Ratio ... When it is 16:9 it takes 5 mp photos ( that's what one shot app shows ) and when I take photos with 4:3 it takes photos with 8 mp which is the camera of L820, ( also by using OneShot ).
    I hope I helped you :)
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-10-2014 05:30 AM
    You should be able to drag and drop them to your PC, also I've heard that some file managers allow viewing full resolution pictures
    07-10-2014 05:32 AM
    You should be able to drag and drop them to your PC, also I've heard that some file managers allow viewing full resolution pictures
    Didnt think of that! Doh!!!

Just connected to my PC and there they are!
    WP_20140709_18_19_01_Pro__highres -- 3.45MB
    WP_20140709_18_19_01_Pro -- 1.22MB
    07-10-2014 05:44 AM
    I'd suggest you set it to 5MP + 16MP DNG, and then get yourself lightroom, photoshop or even something free. Just importing them and letting Lightroom set the white balance improves the picture so extremely.. it's really awesome what the camera can da, but it misses the white balance quite a few times..
    thatuxguy and DalekSnare like this.
    07-10-2014 05:54 AM
    I'd suggest you set it to 5MP + 16MP DNG, and then get yourself lightroom, photoshop or even something free. Just importing them and letting Lightroom set the white balance improves the picture so extremely.. it's really awesome what the camera can da, but it misses the white balance quite a few times..
    Awesome thanks. I already have lightroom, and photoshop so will do that instead.
    07-10-2014 06:05 AM
    I think you can access them on the phone with the Files application (official file and folder app from MS).
    07-10-2014 10:37 AM
    Errr, I have a newb question as well. Does that mean if I get a 930, and upload images (best resolution option selected in upload to OneDrive), i will only get 5mp images uploaded? and when I view it in my pictures folder in the phone, will I be viewing the 5mp one or the full resolution one???
    07-11-2014 01:17 AM
    Errr, I have a newb question as well. Does that mean if I get a 930, and upload images (best resolution option selected in upload to OneDrive), i will only get 5mp images uploaded? and when I view it in my pictures folder in the phone, will I be viewing the 5mp one or the full resolution one???
    It does seem that way! From what i can see its uploading the 5mp version to OneDrive. Which is a pain cause I brought this for the 20mp camera.

Maybe someone with a 1020 or 1520 could advise.
    07-11-2014 01:31 AM
    When you share the picture (or upload it to OneDrive) it will use the 5 MP version. The 16 MP version is only there to zoom. But there are a few solutions:
    - Connect your phone to your pc to transfer the full resolution files.
    - Download 'Files' (by Microsoft) and upload the full resolution files from within the app.
    Tafsern likes this.
    07-11-2014 04:41 AM
    Shame it does not use the full advertised 20.7MP camera! Wonder why they chose to do it like this as they are pushing the fact it has the 20MP shooter... kinda false advertising if it does not take full advantage of the full resolution.
    07-11-2014 05:11 AM
    07-11-2014 06:54 AM
    Another newb question,

If I snapped the 20 megapixel photo, when viewing in photo gallery, will it be as sharp as the 20 megapixel photo or will it be the compressed version?
    07-11-2014 06:55 AM
    I haven't used the camera much yet but it seems that the 5MP picture gives you the best quality. Especially with landscapes it is a little bit sharper than the fullres version because of oversampling. I resized the 16MP to 5MP to compare but still the same

Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk
    07-11-2014 07:08 AM
    I haven't used the camera much yet but it seems that the 5MP picture gives you the best quality. Especially with landscapes it is a little bit sharper than the fullres version because of oversampling. I resized the 16MP to 5MP to compare but still the same

Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk
    I still wonder what the reasoning behind this is. Other devices just use the camera. I can understand the idea behind it, but seems a little odd.
    07-11-2014 07:51 AM
    Hi!
    Use Nokia Camera app to take 20MP pictures, idk why but it takes full resolution pics when I use Nokia Camera (Or Nokia Camera Beta).
    You can view full resolution pictures using an app called 'Zoom' search for it in the Marketplace.
    To upload full resolution pictures to OneDrive go to Photos Hub > Settings > Auto Upload > OneDrive > Photos > Best quality (Needs Wi-Fi).
    This way you'll be upload 20 MP/38 MP RAW/DNG pics to OneDrive.

Cheers ^_^
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-11-2014 08:58 AM
    Hi!
    Use Nokia Camera app to take 20MP pictures, idk why but it takes full resolution pics when I use Nokia Camera (Or Nokia Camera Beta).
    You can view full resolution pictures using an app called 'Zoom' search for it in the Marketplace.
    To upload full resolution pictures to OneDrive go to Photos Hub > Settings > Auto Upload > OneDrive > Photos > Best quality (Needs Wi-Fi).

Cheers ^_^
    Thanks this kinda answer my "review" of the camera. I will give all this a try and see how I get on.
    07-11-2014 10:06 AM
    Hi!

Cheers ^_^
    Ok i downloaded that app, zoom, yet its showing images taken with the MSFT camera app are 5.3mp?

I can not seem to get 20mp images at all.
    07-11-2014 10:17 AM
    If I go to the OneDrive website to view my photo's, they all seem to be the 20MP version. They all have a size of +/- 5 MB per photo.
    07-11-2014 11:59 AM
    Ok i downloaded that app, zoom, yet its showing images taken with the MSFT camera app are 5.3mp?

Wow this is weird, I always seem to get full res pics. Check your camera setting maybe? Try changing Aspect Ratio to 4:3?
    Also try Resetting your Camera by going into Photos > Setting > Reset Camera
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-11-2014 12:14 PM
    If I go to the OneDrive website to view my photo's, they all seem to be the 20MP version. They all have a size of +/- 5 MB per photo.
    That's correct ;).
    Just make sure you set "best quality" (requires WLAN) as upload option in settings/applications/camera
    Matthias Verboven likes this.
    07-11-2014 12:17 PM
    That's correct ;).
    Just make sure you set "best quality" (requires WLAN) as upload option in settings/applications/camera
    Do you also know why the OneDrive app on desktop doesn't show the full res photo? It Always seems pixelated in the app, but not on the website..
    07-11-2014 12:48 PM
    I believe there are solutions for the problems you are facing.

First of all if your comparing the Lumia 930's camera to that of iPhone 5S's camera, opt for 4:3 to get 19 Megapixel images. iPhone also uses 4:3.

Furthermore if you want to upload high resolution images to OneDrive, you have to switch to the 5 + 19 MP JPEG.

Then you must go to settings > applications > photos+camera > Auto-Upload > OneDrive.

After your there enable Auto upload and set image quality to high(as I've done in the below photo).

There is another way if you want to completely remove the 5 MP JPEGs. Download an app called 1shot by Invoke IT Limited, it allows you take one uncompressed 19 Megapixel image that you are free to edit or share, the 1shot app also has continuous focus so it will snap photos much faster.

If you still have any issues, please do not hesitate to ask me for help regarding any issues you face.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-11-2014 12:55 PM

Microsoft Camera doesn't take high-resolution photos.
    07-11-2014 02:17 PM
    I believe there are solutions for the problems you are facing.

First of all if your comparing the Lumia 930's camera to that of iPhone 5S's camera, opt for 4:3 to get 19 Megapixel images. iPhone also uses 4:3.

Furthermore if you want to upload high resolution images to OneDrive, you have to switch to the 5 + 19 MP JPEG.

Then you must go to settings > applications > photos+camera > Auto-Upload > OneDrive.

After your there enable Auto upload and set image quality to high(as I've done in the below photo).

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/12/vehezese.png

There is another way if you want to completely remove the 5 MP JPEGs. Download an app called 1shot by Invoke IT Limited, it allows you take one uncompressed 19 Megapixel image that you are free to edit or share, the 1shot app also has continuous focus so it will snap photos much faster.

If you still have any issues, please do not hesitate to ask me for help regarding any issues you face.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    Cheers dude much appreciated. I'll look at this.
    07-11-2014 02:33 PM
71 123