I broke the screen of my Lumia 930

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I got an Otter Box for my 1020; I don't know if they make those for the 930, but I'd give a look if I was you. Also, my condolences.

A big part for me is how the phone looks and feels. If I just wanted the utility I probably wouldn't care to pick a pretty phone in the first place. I've yet to break a phone and I always carry my phones without any extra covers. Probably one day I will break my brand new phone, but for now I've been lucky. Maybe then I'll have to reconsider the priorities, but to buy a 930 and hide it in an Otterbox sounds almost like a crime to me.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Do get a flip case. Im pretty sure that replacing that Gorilla glass is going to cost.
Under warranty? try getting it fixed for free.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I really hope the new iphone screen is real, that way it will become the standard very soon and we will have less and less of these kind of issues

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
sorry to hear that :-/ it's a pity we can't really use a screen protector due to the strongly curved display. I tried one and it just didn't stick anywhere, really. Bought insurance for mine now :-/

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh no that sucks. I feared this will happen to me too ... as it always goes down the one way ... buy 150 $ Phone with replacable covers, you will never drop it. Buy a 600 $ Phone and you will drop it for sure in the first weeks you own it. So far, I'm lucky, but I feel really sorry for you ...

As for Gorilla Glass, I dropped my Lumia 800 dozens of times and the glass survived it just fine. But with the right force in the right angle, everything that's not KITT will break ...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh no that sucks. I feared this will happen to me too ... as it always goes down the one way ... buy 150 $ Phone with replacable covers, you will never drop it. Buy a 600 $ Phone and you will drop it for sure in the first weeks you own it. So far, I'm lucky, but I feel really sorry for you ...

As for Gorilla Glass, I dropped my Lumia 800 dozens of times and the glass survived it just fine. But with the right force in the right angle, everything that's not KITT will break ...

I even dropped my 920 straight out of the box. I opened the box upside down by accident, boom, directly to the wooden floor before I even touched the phone myself. Luckily nothing happened to it. I've also dropped it a handful of times after that, but it's still pretty much pristine after 1,5 years.

I love the designs of the phones I buy (930 up next) so I just cant put them in a case... but I guess when I break that brand new smartphone one day I might have to reconsider the values :D

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
It's time that Nokia should also consider sapphire glass.

No one knows if Apple is even going to be using sapphire glass, it's all rumors until the official announcement is made.

Also to think of the cost to put sapphire glass on the thing, I can see it being a ~?600 phone.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sapphire glas isn't perfect either -.- I hate these kind of posts, every glass can scratch or break. I remember a year ago everyone was angry about Nokia not suing Gorilla Glas for the 820, because it wouldn't break or scratch. Now Gorilla glas isn't good enough..
If you look at the forces that act on the glass when it falls on the edge, no reasonably cheap material can withstand these forces, something has to break there.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I have experience of the sapphire screens on Vertu phones breaking - can be very fragile if you drop them wrong.

Sapphire is also 50% heaver than glass, costs 10x more to produce, very energy inefficient to produce (100x more than glass) and also transmits less light than glass - so that really bright awesome Nokia screen won't look so pretty.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Sapphire glas isn't perfect either -.- I hate these kind of posts, every glass can scratch or break. I remember a year ago everyone was angry about Nokia not suing Gorilla Glas for the 820, because it wouldn't break or scratch. Now Gorilla glas isn't good enough..
If you look at the forces that act on the glass when it falls on the edge, no reasonably cheap material can withstand these forces, something has to break there.

Tell me a single thing which is perfect
But one thing is sure that sapphire is lot better(3times) than gorilla glass and if more and more manufacturers use it eventually it cost will go down.

And I also hate this type of post.
A year or two many users mock quad core or higher specs now even WP runs on it.
I never understand why you guys having problem with upgrades.

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Kudos to you for not cheating. It's stunts like that, and false insurance claims, that put prices up for everybody else.

As for the guy complaining about Gorilla Glass, it's a thin layer of scratch and shatter resistant glass, it's not intended to be bounced along solid ground. In fact the Gorilla glass probably did it's job and saved the actual display, which I would imagine would cost a lot more to get fixed.

A screen protector and possibly even a case wouldn't have made any difference because it's all about the forces involved. Look on the bright side, at least the phone still works - the two I dropped that broke didn't work at all afterwards so that's probably thanks to the Glass.

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
yes I'm agreed with you, the smartphone still works and no problems from the broken part of the screen yet. I am not intended to return it by now, unless things will get worse.

Toby Simpson

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Same here, within a day! You could play tennis with the Lumia 920, but I dropped the 930 around 1.5 feet from my (stationary) car onto a smooth surface and it shattered and didn't work at all. Annoyed having just gone throuigh the rigmarole of setting the damned thing up. Might try one of the other Lumias with the old, solid polycarbonate body.

I saw a German advert on the net from 2012 with Nokia taking the mickey out of how ridiculously fragile IPhones are. How ironic.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Same here, within a day! You could play tennis with the Lumia 920

FWIW, I dropped my 920 within its first week of life and managed to smash the corner of the screen, so it wasn't that indestructible.

My 920 dropped because it was so slippery and it just slipped out of my gloves. The ironic thing was that I was wearing those conductive gloves which, of course, are not necessary with a 920. Had I been wearing"normal" leather gloves, I probably wouldn't have dropped it.

Sadly at the time, Nokia care didn't even have new screens as it was so new, so I had to live with it for a while. It was then ?100 to replace (with no chance of a warranty replacement).

I'm now just hoping to keep my 930 safe! I like the look of the phone, so don't really want to encumber it with a case, buy realise this is a timebomb waiting to go off!

RusB

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
First day with the 930 I knocked off my bed and it slid face down across a wooden floor. Result..a nasty ml chip in the screen. Took back to O2 UK next morning and they replaced. Very lucky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea