08-03-2015 08:31 AM
65 123
tools
    Oh no that sucks. I feared this will happen to me too ... as it always goes down the one way ... buy 150 $ Phone with replacable covers, you will never drop it. Buy a 600 $ Phone and you will drop it for sure in the first weeks you own it. So far, I'm lucky, but I feel really sorry for you ...

As for Gorilla Glass, I dropped my Lumia 800 dozens of times and the glass survived it just fine. But with the right force in the right angle, everything that's not KITT will break ...
    07-12-2014 04:03 PM
    Oh no that sucks. I feared this will happen to me too ... as it always goes down the one way ... buy 150 $ Phone with replacable covers, you will never drop it. Buy a 600 $ Phone and you will drop it for sure in the first weeks you own it. So far, I'm lucky, but I feel really sorry for you ...

As for Gorilla Glass, I dropped my Lumia 800 dozens of times and the glass survived it just fine. But with the right force in the right angle, everything that's not KITT will break ...
    I even dropped my 920 straight out of the box. I opened the box upside down by accident, boom, directly to the wooden floor before I even touched the phone myself. Luckily nothing happened to it. I've also dropped it a handful of times after that, but it's still pretty much pristine after 1,5 years.

I love the designs of the phones I buy (930 up next) so I just cant put them in a case... but I guess when I break that brand new smartphone one day I might have to reconsider the values :D
    hasasimo likes this.
    07-14-2014 04:49 AM
    It's time that Nokia should also consider sapphire glass.
    07-14-2014 05:02 AM
    No one knows if Apple is even going to be using sapphire glass, it's all rumors until the official announcement is made.

Also to think of the cost to put sapphire glass on the thing, I can see it being a ~600 phone.
    07-14-2014 05:23 AM
    Nah, that would be too expensive and iDroids would mock us for copying iPhone.
    07-14-2014 05:24 AM
    Nah, that would be too expensive and iDroids would mock us for copying iPhone.
    Nope, I don't think IOS users mock us if they know little about smartphone.
    Sapphire glass is already used by some smartphone

Take an example - Vertu Ti.

Launched in 2013and cost you only $11000.
    07-14-2014 06:46 AM
    Sapphire glas isn't perfect either -.- I hate these kind of posts, every glass can scratch or break. I remember a year ago everyone was angry about Nokia not suing Gorilla Glas for the 820, because it wouldn't break or scratch. Now Gorilla glas isn't good enough..
    If you look at the forces that act on the glass when it falls on the edge, no reasonably cheap material can withstand these forces, something has to break there.
    Pete likes this.
    07-14-2014 07:13 AM
    Yep, I have experience of the sapphire screens on Vertu phones breaking - can be very fragile if you drop them wrong.

Sapphire is also 50% heaver than glass, costs 10x more to produce, very energy inefficient to produce (100x more than glass) and also transmits less light than glass - so that really bright awesome Nokia screen won't look so pretty.
    07-14-2014 07:30 AM
    Sapphire glas isn't perfect either -.- I hate these kind of posts, every glass can scratch or break. I remember a year ago everyone was angry about Nokia not suing Gorilla Glas for the 820, because it wouldn't break or scratch. Now Gorilla glas isn't good enough..
    If you look at the forces that act on the glass when it falls on the edge, no reasonably cheap material can withstand these forces, something has to break there.
    Tell me a single thing which is perfect
    But one thing is sure that sapphire is lot better(3times) than gorilla glass and if more and more manufacturers use it eventually it cost will go down.

And I also hate this type of post.
    A year or two many users mock quad core or higher specs now even WP runs on it.
    I never understand why you guys having problem with upgrades.
    Last edited by D M C; 07-14-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    th0mas96 likes this.
    07-14-2014 08:02 AM
    Kudos to you for not cheating. It's stunts like that, and false insurance claims, that put prices up for everybody else.

As for the guy complaining about Gorilla Glass, it's a thin layer of scratch and shatter resistant glass, it's not intended to be bounced along solid ground. In fact the Gorilla glass probably did it's job and saved the actual display, which I would imagine would cost a lot more to get fixed.

A screen protector and possibly even a case wouldn't have made any difference because it's all about the forces involved. Look on the bright side, at least the phone still works - the two I dropped that broke didn't work at all afterwards so that's probably thanks to the Glass.
    07-27-2014 05:43 PM
    yes I'm agreed with you, the smartphone still works and no problems from the broken part of the screen yet. I am not intended to return it by now, unless things will get worse.
    07-29-2014 04:47 AM
    Same here, within a day! You could play tennis with the Lumia 920, but I dropped the 930 around 1.5 feet from my (stationary) car onto a smooth surface and it shattered and didn't work at all. Annoyed having just gone throuigh the rigmarole of setting the damned thing up. Might try one of the other Lumias with the old, solid polycarbonate body.

I saw a German advert on the net from 2012 with Nokia taking the mickey out of how ridiculously fragile IPhones are. How ironic.
    07-30-2014 04:41 AM
    Same here, within a day! You could play tennis with the Lumia 920
    FWIW, I dropped my 920 within its first week of life and managed to smash the corner of the screen, so it wasn't that indestructible.

My 920 dropped because it was so slippery and it just slipped out of my gloves. The ironic thing was that I was wearing those conductive gloves which, of course, are not necessary with a 920. Had I been wearing"normal" leather gloves, I probably wouldn't have dropped it.

Sadly at the time, Nokia care didn't even have new screens as it was so new, so I had to live with it for a while. It was then 100 to replace (with no chance of a warranty replacement).

I'm now just hoping to keep my 930 safe! I like the look of the phone, so don't really want to encumber it with a case, buy realise this is a timebomb waiting to go off!
    07-30-2014 04:53 AM
    Te lo dico proprio nella nostra lingua... che razza di sfiga!
    lol
    07-30-2014 05:13 AM
    First day with the 930 I knocked off my bed and it slid face down across a wooden floor. Result..a nasty ml chip in the screen. Took back to O2 UK next morning and they replaced. Very lucky.
    07-30-2014 05:13 PM
    Just take out insurance with PROTECT MY BUBBLE they even cover for phones over warranty. Max is 18 months old. For my 1520 its 6.99 a month. So if after a year I break my phone I will take out insurance then claim a few weeks after. All legal too
    07-30-2014 06:33 PM
    if it makes you feel any better... My phone dropped off the table whilst having lunch.. No cracked screen, just a little dent in the top left corner... Slightly devastated
    07-30-2014 10:37 PM
    Well just adding to that it's only a few weeks since our dog knocked my Moto G off the coffee table. The phone bounced a good way, we have quite a big lounge, and bounced up and cracked the TV screen. Only consolation was the phone is perfectly fine!
    switch side method and k72 like this.
    07-31-2014 08:33 AM
    1622245_10201410164215418_4535970638930635920_n.jpg
    I broke my phone today !!! Anyone know where I can replace my 929 screen . I live in Florida ... Help me plz !
    08-02-2014 11:51 PM
    Sorry to hear about your phone. Every screen will unfortunately brake if it lands on the "right" spot. Gorilla glas or not. My girlfriend took over my old Lumia 800. I've never witnessed a phone fly in the sky so many times and still hold up. But on like the 15'th drop it totally broke. It was living on overtime since long the way it was handled.

However I'm also curious on how the aluminium frame handled the fall. I know black iPhones gets marks very easily and look old fast. Even so I got a black one as I see it as the most stylish one. Though I hope it's not as sensitive to scuff marks.
    08-04-2014 02:19 PM
    l930gg3_1.jpgl930gg3_2.jpgI also have a crack at the bottom left under the back button. I put it on a glassy table normally and the crack happened. Because of this crack, Nokia care told me there is no way to replace the phone if any part inside the phone defect!!. Also, they told me if there is any hardware need a fix, replace or if they are going to replace the phone with a new one, I'll have to pay $210 just for the gorilla glass 3!!

check the two pics
    Last edited by ali80; 08-06-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    08-06-2014 03:27 PM
    That hasn't just "happened", that's an impact break.

It may not have broken at the time of impact but something has hit that and weakened it to the point where another slight knock has seen it give way.

Glass doesn't just break, if it did windows would be shattering all around us on a daily basis. It breaks for one reason and that is when pressure is placed upon it.
    08-07-2014 02:25 AM
    I've been watching this forum and other websites about the Lumia 930 because I am considering to get one sooner or later. Probably later, so I can be sure that I'll receive one from a later batch, after reading about various issues and needing to get it replaced up to four times before getting one with no issues. I've seen a topic ( discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Nokia-930-Screen-2-days-later/td-p/2826120 ) on the Nokia support forums from someone who claims that his 930's screen cracked from a one-foot drop on cement, which is very sad if that's true. I think that the weakness in the glass may be in the curve around the edges, since when the phone falls and hits the ground with the curved part of the screen, it would cause peak pressure since the impact is not evenly levelled out as opposed to regular flat screens. I'm quite eager to see drop tests of the 930 on YouTube, currently there's only a scratch test video with a big knife.
    08-09-2014 11:09 AM
    I think that the weakness in the glass may be in the curve around the edges, since when the phone falls and hits the ground with the curved part of the screen, it would cause peak pressure since the impact is not evenly levelled out as opposed to regular flat screens
    Maybe not so much that but the fact that the screen is probably a lot thinner on the curved edges, almost like a slice of glass has been shaved from the edges to create the curve. The back side of the glass is probably flat so it will be very thin at the edges.

And of course we have no idea how thick it is. I remember reading on the Corning site that GG3 can be between 0.5mm and 2.0mm thick but the thicker it is the more it will cost, so it's probably closer to 0.5 than 2.0mm. Even at the thick end we have to remember that 2mm is still a very, very thin sheet of glass, toughened or not.
    08-09-2014 03:19 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l930gg3_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	75505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l930gg3_2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	75506I also have a crack at the bottom left under the back button. I put it on a glassy table normally and the crack happened. Because of this crack, Nokia care told me there is no way to replace the phone if any part inside the phone defect!!. Also, they told me if there is any hardware need a fix, replace or if they are going to replace the phone with a new one, I'll have to pay $210 just for the gorilla glass 3!!

check the two pics
    I am sorry but as someone else noted, that did not just happen. That is absolutely a clear impact fracture, In fact, you can even make out the point of impact. In this case, I can't even see how this was a delayed reaction fracture since it does not show indications of stress fracturing, just direct impact.
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-09-2014 04:42 PM
65 123