Lumia 930 camera...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you guys please post some video and photo samples? I'm sure the rest of us who have are either waiting on their phones or have chosen to wait for McLaren are curious to see how good the camera is. Like they say "a picture is a worth a thousand words" :winktongue:.

Pretty sure the current info is that the McLaren has the 20MP camera as well. Granted it could be upgraded in some way.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the current info is that the McLaren has the 20MP camera as well. Granted it could be upgraded in some way.

Yup. McLaren is NOT the successor of the 1020.

People are blowing the Goldfinger/McLaren WAY out of proportion and they're in for a MAJOR disappointment.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yup. McLaren is NOT the successor of the 1020.

People are blowing the Goldfinger/McLaren WAY out of proportion and they're in for a MAJOR disappointment.

Yup, people just don't understand that phones only get 1 gimmick and the McLaren's is 3D touch. It's too expensive to add everything everyone wants, that's why there's NEVER 1 all in one device.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I have an Icon which from what I've gathered is basically the same as the 930. To get 19 MP (you can never really get the full 20 MP) you have to go to settings assuming you're using Nokia Camera) and change the aspect ratio to 4:3, you'll have black bars when taking a picture because of the aspect ratio difference, it's set at 16:9 by default. You can either save them at 4:3 as JPEG (5 MP) + JPEG (19 MP) or JPEG (5 MP) + DNG (19 MP). I hope this helps!

Got it spot on...but to get the full image DONT GO INTO CAMERA ROLL you will only get the 5 mega pixel ones. Go to Nokia beta camera, tap on the top right to access the pics and you will get the full resolution. You can tell an easy way....zoom.as far as you can using the beta cam, then go to camera roll and zoom in. You will fond out you can't zoom in as far. Just worked it out just now lol

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The 930's video-OIS really sucks. My electronic iphone 5s stabilization is way better.
Tested this today while driving my car.

Really? Show us some footage - it'd be interesting to see. Compared videos with my uncle's 5S on a rollercoaster and my 1020 - my video turned out waaay smoother than his. Also the 930's OIS is almost the same as the 1520's, which is a drastic improvement over the 1020's

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I think this happens with all cameras, or at least all phone cameras.

I have a 1020m and as I recall, I can only get a 38mp photo or something like that. There's a data loss as it's put into a file; since there's no way to shoot in RAW(RAW is a lossless picture file format), the photos default to .jpg, which is a compression format. Hope this helps.

-SVL
What are you talkting about? You can shoot in RAW. It's only never 41 MP, because the Sensor is round, so 16:9 and 4:3 uses different Areas of the 41 MP Sensor.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
So after a day with the 930 I'm finding myself a little underwhelmed by the camera.

The images taken in comparison to my iphone 5s are not that great and are looking terribly grainy. Considering the camera is meant to be 20mp, I'm a little confused to why we don't have the option to utilise the full 20mp camera. But are stuck with 5mp and a 16mp image to crop?!

I am new to this new Lumia experience so maybe someone can shed some light on apps or ways to improve my images.

Other than this camera issue the phone feels great to use, and feels well crafted.

Thanks in advance.
It's possible you have a 930 with a bad camera module. I had 3 replacement 920's, all with bad cameras. - the 4th is flawless.
Also, make sure the subject is well lit, some reviews are saying the 930 struggles in low-light.

Last edited:

Psyclone71

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new update for Nokia Camera (Ver 4.8.1.1) just wanted to know if there are any picture quality improvements??

Thanks

Just downloaded the update, will try tomorrow...

Last edited:

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Alright chill, Most Lumias from the 9xx line or higher series can outperform the 5S and any other high end smartphone, is just a matter of playing with the manual controls, first of all if all you guys wanted was a point and shoot phone then there is the iPhone, really.

These kind of complains sounds like when people use DSLRS on best buy and get disappointed by the results of using the auto mode...

JUST SAYING.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have found there is more of a learning curve with windows phone than other OS's.

While some pics turn out fine, others not so. As I have said many times the camera has more features than other OS's.

Why not instead of attacking posts, try providing advice or help.

Heck why not be useful and provide some setting you find have helped. This guy did ones for the D3100 and helped me learn about my DSLR!

http://www.cameratips.com/d3100/cheat-cards

With our combined experiences there could a be a great resource for all WP newcomers.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Really? Show us some footage - it'd be interesting to see. Compared videos with my uncle's 5S on a rollercoaster and my 1020 - my video turned out waaay smoother than his. Also the 930's OIS is almost the same as the 1520's, which is a drastic improvement over the 1020's

I am interested as well... today I tried to shot video during walk to home, and I am wondering if video gone bad due to my hands or bad OIS.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have found there is more of a learning curve with windows phone than other OS's.

While some pics turn out fine, others not so. As I have said many times the camera has more features than other OS's.

Why not instead of attacking posts, try providing advice or help.

Heck why not be useful and provide some setting you find have helped. This guy did ones for the D3100 and helped me learn about my DSLR!

Moose's Nikon D3100 Cheat Sheets for Beginners

With our combined experiences there could a be a great resource for all WP newcomers.

Ok, I might have been a little too aggressive but I hate when people say false statements like the guy who said "The 930's video-OIS really sucks. My electronic iphone 5s stabilization is way better.<<<<<---------------------LIAR!

More than settings you should try to understand every photography term found on the camera like ISO, shutter speed, bokeh, etc.) to know what settings change before even taking the picture. Yes this doesn't sound very glamorous but once you start you'll take some amazing shots, some people find very hard to believe that some of my best pictures were taken with my 920 and not with my Nikon.

Most importantly, you don't need to pay a single dime to learn these things!, search on photography forums (heck, even here!) for some advise, I'll recommend you to read DPReview.com, some say this site is one of the best when it comes to photography.

Yes, the 930/1520 might not take better-than-5s pictures on auto mode but once you learn how to use manual settings you will find that Lumias can take pictures that no other phone can which make them very versatile phones when it comes to photography.

Also, if you don't know I'll recommend you to learn how to use photoshop to improve your images, because images taken with such a small sensor tend to need at least a little tweak to be perfect. Or if you don't want to get into much info then you should buy the full version of photoshop express for windows phone, you'll be surprised/amazed/ of the quality of the app (it is one of the few apps that let you save full res pictures and includes some things not present in FhotoRoom.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I already use lightroom and photoshop, they are in my cc subscription. Never really felt the need to use it on a photo taken on my mobile device though.

So far the images I have taken on the 930 have been mind blowing or complete crap lol the flower one I posted in the other thread is by far my fave so far. I've also managed to get some good ones of my 5mth old son. But I'm sure you understand why I wont post these.

My biggest issue with iphone is the images were blurry once viewed on larger screens. I have so far found the 930 to be a little better. But as I said lots of playing go get used to the settings.

I'm sure in time ill be taking as good shot on my 930 as I do on my Nikon.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are missing the point of the 5 MP photo that is produced with Nokia Procam. One of the main features of Pureview cameras is taking the 41 MP or 20 MP image & oversampling (combining) the pixels in 7:1 or 4:1 ratio to create a very high quality 5 MP image that is better than most 8,13 or 16 MP photos from standard camera phones.

For reference:

Why the Nokia Lumia 1020 Oversampled Image is 5MP?

With that being said I wish they did offer an 8 MP oversampled image with a 3:1 oversampled ratio

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99