Lumia 930 camera...

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is necessarily true that you need to use manual setting to take great pictures with your Lumia. Auto mode works great most of the time in normal conditions. You only need manual settings for more challenging situations, for example taking pictures with strong light source from background (and subject in shadow), or when shooting in lowlight. The most important thing to do, is always examine your shots, if it is poor then identify the cause and the right settings to use.

But, if you're out and about on a bright sunny day, you should be able to take great pics (WAY better than the iPhone 5S) in auto-mode. I consider myself to be highly proficient with my camera settings and I use auto mode probably 70% of the time.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is necessarily true that you need to use manual setting to take great pictures with your Lumia. Auto mode works great most of the time in normal conditions. You only need manual settings for more challenging situations, for example taking pictures with strong light source from background (and subject in shadow), or when shooting in lowlight. The most important thing to do, is always examine your shots, if it is poor then identify the cause and the right settings to use.

But, if you're out and about on a bright sunny day, you should be able to take great pics (WAY better than the iPhone 5S) in auto-mode. I consider myself to be highly proficient with my camera settings and I use auto mode probably 70% of the time.

Nope, it depends on what do you want to capture, and by this I'm not talking about the subject, I'm talking about the desired effect of the photo. Shure, most of the time auto will be ok for the vast majority of users but some people will continue to complain because the think 5S oversaturated pictures look better, which of course is false.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nope, it depends on what do you want to capture, and by this I'm not talking about the subject, I'm talking about the desired effect of the photo. Shure, most of the time auto will be ok for the vast majority of users but some people will continue to complain because the think 5S oversaturated pictures look better, which of course is false.

You can't change parameters like saturation, sharpness and noise reduction in the camera app. The manual control only involves focus, white balance and exposure-related settings. For the most part, I find the auto settings for exposure, ISO and shutter speed to be adequate. Auto focus is okay except in lowlight. White balance can be tricky but generally ok. Of course we can have difference in opinion on saturation, sharpening etc but those are not the manual options available in the camera app.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
You can't change parameters like saturation, sharpness and noise reduction in the camera app. The manual control only involves focus, white balance and exposure-related settings. For the most part, I find the auto settings for exposure, ISO and shutter speed to be adequate. Auto focus is okay except in lowlight. White balance can be tricky but generally ok. Of course we can have difference in opinion on saturation, sharpening etc but those are not the manual options available in the camera app.

Well that is because normally things like sharpening, saturation and noise reduction are filters applied on studio (aka PS) because you just can't rely on a smartphone viewfinder (the same way you can't rely on a DSLR's viewfinder), there are apps that may let you do that but that is not the optimal way to do it.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well today showed the disadvantage of the Lumia camera. We had family come over from NZ, and while giving presents out to the kids I tried to take pics. And well they didn't come out well. Where as my partners iPhone worked great.

I know the whole discussion has been about setting up etc but sometimes a camera phone doesn't need to be a DSLR!

Its not like I can tell people to.wait while I set up my phone to take a picture. Any way a couple turned out ok.

Microsoft really need to work on the whole point and shoot feature of the Windows Phone platform.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Well today showed the disadvantage of the Lumia camera. We had family come over from NZ, and while giving presents out to the kids I tried to take pics. And well they didn't come out well. Where as my partners iPhone worked great.

I know the whole discussion has been about setting up etc but sometimes a camera phone doesn't need to be a DSLR!

Its not like I can tell people to.wait while I set up my phone to take a picture. Any way a couple turned out ok.

Microsoft really need to work on the whole point and shoot feature of the Windows Phone platform.

Could you put the original pictures here for comparison?

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I am assuming you are referring to the shot to shot time. Admittedly , it sucks, but understand a lot of folks buy these Lumias for the quality of the camera not the speed. I suggest Proshots burst mode. The Proshot app is definitely worth the money and the only thing it lacks is DNG support (not the fault of the developer)...I am certain if he had access or was ever to get it this app would be everyones default camera! As far as missing shots, thats the nature of photography...I suggest playing with your camera and its settings alot, in all types of situations ( low light, sunlight, night , flash , no flash, stills , actions) and try to produce the best photo ... Eventually it will become second nature to decide what settings you need. This is another reason I endorse Proshot...You can save your custom settings for certain situations. Remember , the best camera is the one you have with you..

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Na it was just the pictures in general didn't come out well. Some were really dark for example. Others came out alright.

Once again its just a learning experience. Least next time ill know to make sure the lighting is ok.

Just goes to show really, just how basic the iphone camera was... Point, shoot done. No wonder a few pics looked blurry when viewed larger. Not had that so much on my 930.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I always found with my old iPhone 5 camera that I'd have to take a LOT of pics, like one after another (which the iPhone is good at) to be able to get one single usable picture. That meant tons of waste too. Whereas on a Lumia (I have a 1020) it would take a little more planning, but in general the shots would be way better.

This is also a big reason I use Proshot cam. Lets me dial in the shutter speed (for kids running, flowing water shots, etc). And also the ability to choose a larger saved resolution to my camera roll. I kinda hate the way Nokia's cam handles their high res shots, making them hidden, while giving you a piddly little 5mp sample to work with in the camera roll. Yes, I know there are ways around this, but its a PITA.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
By the way, here's a tip:

To do burst photo on the 930, all you need to do is keep the physical camera button pressed down. It will take photo after photo after photo ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss