Insurance which covers cosmetic damage (UK)

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know of a mobile phone insurance policy which covers accidental cosmetic damage? I have a spanking new 930 and I dread dropping it and damaging the aluminium frame - most of the policy small print I have looked at so far calls this sort of thing 'cosmetic damage' which is not covered unless something is actually broken.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know of a mobile phone insurance policy which covers accidental cosmetic damage? I have a spanking new 930 and I dread dropping it and damaging the aluminium frame - most of the policy small print I have looked at so far calls this sort of thing 'cosmetic damage' which is not covered unless something is actually broken.

I'm no expert, but I'd be quite surprised if such a policy exists. It just wouldn't be economically viable for a company to replace/repair every single scratch or dent in a phone because the end user requested it.

If it did, I'd imagine sizeable premiums increasing after each claim (or a maximum claim amount per annum).

Could you imagine the number of people that would change/repair their phone after every little ding if they could?

I might be completely wrong obviously. Not sure if companies like protect your bubble, which seem to be very tech focussed and therefore potentially sympathetic towards what you're asking about, would offer it as a policy extra?

Just checked, protect your bubble do not cover cosmetic damage.

The problem is, cosmetic damage is somewhat open to interpretation - a minor scratch to one person might be significant to another, and I don't think insurance companies would want to deal with those interpretations day to day. If it's broken, that's pretty obvious.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Last edited:

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, thought as much. I so don't want to use a case :)

I hear what you're saying. It'd be a shame to cover up such a nice looking phone. Plus it strikes me as quite a tactile handset, with the polycarbonate back, the aluminum frame and curved glass screen.

The only thing I can think of is to put aside the cost of a policy on a monthly basis and put that towards a new handset in the future when required. To be honest though, it'd probably be time for a change by then!

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You're right. I knew an old farmer who did that to protect his farm stuff and he had a rather big pot available should the unexpected arise. Not so good in the short term though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire