Focusing an object on the screen gets overridden by the camera button

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Finally today I got to play around a bit with the camera of my new 930. I'm generally a bit underwhelmed by it currently as I had higher hopes for it. The results are very mixed, from good in well-lit areas to extremely bad in backlighting scenarios which results in washed out/foggy colors.

However, one reason for my sometimes bad results were issues with focus. I used Nokia Camera (also shortly the native WP app, but it made no difference) and wanted to make some portrait-like photos of my girlfriend. As it's a good photographer practice, I didn't wanted to have her face in the center of the picture but rather on the more left or right side, giving some room for the background.

So I tapped on her face on the screen and the 930 did what I expected - focused the object I tapped on. Great. Even the face recognition of the 930 showed it recognized the face of my girlfriend. So what could go wrong? Everything, it seems. I pressed the hardware camera button on the phone and it immediately refocused to the center of the picture where only background was visible. So despite a semi-manual focus AND the face recognition recognizing my girlfriends face, it focused right to the background just because that was at the center of the screen.

Now, to avoid this re-focus, I could press the on-screen camera button. But that requires holding the phone with more or less just one hand and tapping on it, making it nearly impossible to hold the phone steady. Not a good solution.

I could also use the manual focus, but in daylight, it's often very hard to really see on the screen if the focus sits perfectly. Even more, for most shots, it's too much work and fiddling around. The semi-manual focus where I just select the area I want the auto-focus to focus on, is the best solution most of the times. But then I can't use the camera button.

Is there a solution or work-around? I didn't found a setting that could help me. Essentially, what I would want, is that, in case I focused an area on the screen manually, the hardware camera button does not an automatic re-focus afterwards.

Any help would be appreciated :)

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if I totally understand, but press the camera button in gently while pointed at your girlfriend to allow the camera to focus on her. Then, while remaining focused on her, slowly point your camera back towards the background. Your girlfriend should remain in focus and achieve the desired effect.

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think you understood correctly :) ... yes, your approach is something I tried also. But in this case, when you are holding the camera so close to the object you want to photograph, moving the phone back will already lead to some unsharpness.

Of course, it's by far better than having the focus point completely wrong, but it's, from my tests, pretty much the same as with tapping the on-screen button ... you still get a result that is not as sharp as it could be.

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
But your post put another idea in my mind - and this works!

I can half-press and hold the camera button to start the focus and AFTER THIS tap on the screen to manually re-focus another area (while still holding the camera button half-pressed). Then press the camera button fully to take the shot and no re-focusing happens.

That should be good enough. So thanks for bringing me on the right path :)

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Concerning the low light results, I have found that the auto mode boosts the ISO a bit too much for low light shots, causing washed out colors and lack of detail. Try taking pics in low light with an ISO of 400 or 200.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the functionality has been changed; in my experience if the Nokia Camera software detects a face in an image, using the camera button will focus on said face instead of the centre of the screen.

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the functionality has been changed; in my experience if the Nokia Camera software detects a face in an image, using the camera button will focus on said face instead of the centre of the screen.

It definitely does not do that on the 930. I can see it detects the face, yet sets the focus always into the middle of the image when using the hardware camera button.

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Concerning the low light results, I have found that the auto mode boosts the ISO a bit too much for low light shots, causing washed out colors and lack of detail. Try taking pics in low light with an ISO of 400 or 200.

Low-light quality is not too good too, yes, but I have not experimented much with it yet. I will definitely trying low light photography with your recommendation to set ISOs manually.

But what I meant in my original post was backlighting, and by that I mean taking a photo "against the light" / into the direction of the light source. That's always a complicated shot, even with a DSLR, but the 930 unfortunately seems to have problems already with very easy scenarios with just very subtle backlighting and just a bit darker objects in the foreground than the background is. A very common scenario for everyday photos. It washes out colors and introduces a foggy white over the whole picture. I have yet to try to handle this with manual settings, but the auto mode really screws this up.

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I can report that someone at Nokia might have read my post - or they just have noticed it themselves :) - but with the latest camera update, this issue is gone. If I manually focus now by touching an area on the screen, the focus stays there and is not overridden by pressing the camera button anymore.

Great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs