07-24-2015 11:36 AM
411 12345 ...
tools
    So all in all, lumia 930, worth it?
    07-16-2014 03:30 PM
    So all in all, lumia 930, worth it?
    Id say yes. Great device, but there is a learning curve with the camera if you are moving from ios/droid. And maybe id have gone for the black, or white device instead of orange. (I can change the back though potentially if I do get bothered too much!)
    07-16-2014 05:13 PM
    Id say yes. Great device, but there is a learning curve with the camera if you are moving from ios/droid. And maybe id have gone for the black, or white device instead of orange. (I can change the back though potentially if I do get bothered too much!)
    I'm gonna get black, orange and green seem strange,cool, but strange to me. My first phone is this one, the 900 and now im gonna move on to another one and im probably gonna get the 930. I hate it when my phone gets hot though...... I'll have to learn to deal with it XD oh and if you get it in USA, will you get the charging plate free? Is that limited time or only online or something?
    07-16-2014 08:20 PM
    Just my 2 cents... My phone is pretty warm, but it's updating about 40 apps and I'm fiddling with it a lot so to be expected. Not uncomfortable, but noticeably warm! (And understandable)

EDIT - 5 mins after downloading everything under the sun it's now cool as a cucumber. Luvverly!
    pinturicchio_10 likes this.
    07-17-2014 07:41 AM
    Just my 2 cents... My phone is pretty warm, but it's updating about 40 apps and I'm fiddling with it a lot so to be expected. Not uncomfortable, but noticeably warm! (And understandable)

EDIT - 5 mins after downloading everything under the sun it's now cool as a cucumber. Luvverly!
    Its not the comfort, but the damage caused to your device because of the heat. A CPU degrades, when overheated. When there is too much burden on the CPU, it will overheat and its life will reduce.
    07-17-2014 08:07 AM
    Its not the comfort, but the damage caused to your device because of the heat. A CPU degrades, when overheated. When there is too much burden on the CPU, it will overheat and its life will reduce.
    True, but I don't think it's excessive from the initial set up.
    07-17-2014 08:39 AM
    But at the same time the fact that the device conducts the heat outside is a good sign. All similar'ish devices likely heat quite similarly, but if you cant really feel it on a phone, it might mean the heat stays inside and that's when the damage happens.

The demo units I've managed to heat up havn't been all that hot, but it's more about the location of the heat. 920 getting hot from the top was "smarter" than 930 getting hot from the area that the hand blocks most of the time
    07-17-2014 08:48 AM
    I took mine to the store today and they decided to send it to the service. The main issue is the heat - after a week of use the back cover has started to bulge on the seam where the plastic meets the metal and the back cover has what seems to be a very slight bump along the edge. That's in the bottom right section of the phone. Also the pink/purple haze on top part of the screen bugs me so I mentioned that as well. It will probably come back as it is with a comment that the heating is normal but I decided to give it a shot anyways - after all it seems the heat is already affecting the casing and that really shouldn't happen on a device that is used the way it's intended.
    07-17-2014 09:26 AM
    after all it seems the heat is already affecting the casing and that really shouldn't happen on a device that is used the way it's intended.
    agreed, but how much do you use it?
    07-17-2014 09:43 AM
    Mine gets hot by itself for no obvious reasons. Unless its caused by bitlocker and exchange combo.
    Heats itself freezes and stops responding or responds slow. Not worth of money can not recommend.
    I don't think anyone would sugges a defective unit, like yours seems to be :P

Have you tried hard resetting the phone?
    07-17-2014 10:20 AM
    agreed, but how much do you use it?
    For the week I've had it I've taken perhaps 100 photographs and a couple of videos. Maybe an hour a day of web browsing and some whatsapp and email on top of that - combine those and you have about two hours of hands on time a day (average). No gaming or extremely long sessions of heavy processor loads. Phone kept mostly on a desk during the day. There's no actual gap in the seam yet - it's just raised a bit - but it's easily noticeable. I'll likely just get it back with a new backplate :D
    07-17-2014 12:59 PM
    For the week I've had it I've taken perhaps 100 photographs and a couple of videos. Maybe an hour a day of web browsing and some whatsapp and email on top of that - combine those and you have about two hours of hands on time a day (average). No gaming or extremely long sessions of heavy processor loads. Phone kept mostly on a desk during the day. There's no actual gap in the seam yet - it's just raised a bit - but it's easily noticeable. I'll likely just get it back with a new backplate :D
    Oh no, don't get me wrong I feel the heat too on mine. And I do roughly the same. I'm tempted to measure the temp.
    07-17-2014 01:07 PM
    Well on 1020 if I use the phone whilst in charger, the camera bump heats up so high I can't even touch it anymore..
    Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk
    07-17-2014 02:53 PM
    I have noticed that the Nokia Camera app might be causing small heat spikes - I say might as my phone has been on and off it's charging plate most of the afternoon/evening so it was warm anyways.

I wonder if maybe the app switches processing to a single core or something, and that one core heats up a lot as opposed to spreading the processing over 4 cooler cores? Purely a guess on my part!!

I should also mention it's warmer than Hell's microwave in our living room right now, so that's not helping!

The phone is cool to the touch when just sat there idling away and during browsing/Facebooking etc etc
    07-17-2014 04:58 PM
    There is a firmware update .. Maybe there are fixes for the heating issues
    07-18-2014 02:03 PM
    I need to reiterate that it wasn't just a case of my 930 getting hot, the handset got very very hot & was so hot it was very uncomfortable to hold in the hand. I genuinely think that I had a faulty handset & sent it back for a refund.
    07-18-2014 03:00 PM
    I may have missed the boat, but i couldn't resist:

Snapples and TechFreak1 like this.
    07-18-2014 03:19 PM
    the heat usually is caused by bluetooth and nfc being on.
    07-18-2014 05:06 PM
    There is a firmware update .. Maybe there are fixes for the heating issues
    So have you or anyone updated yet? Please share your observation.
    07-19-2014 05:05 AM
    the heat usually is caused by bluetooth and nfc being on.
    NFC, Bluetooth, WiFi & Data and my 930 still got very very very hot. As I said earlier in post #67 I believe that my handset had a fault as this was not a case of the phone getting warm it was a case of it getting unbearably hot or as xandros9 in post #68 is was a "Disco Inferno"
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-19-2014 06:19 AM
    Well after a couple of days solid usage I have to say my phone does not get very hot. Yes initial set up and charge but since and with normal use its been luke warm at best. I have nfc, Bluetooth, WiFi etc all on. Paired to my treasure tag and currently streaming xbox music and browsing net. Luke warm, cooler than my one x under this sort of use.
    07-19-2014 10:27 AM
    DId a 1h25min video recording with the 930 yesterday. The aluminium frame became so hot that I couldn't hold it anylonger ;). Using a flip case is the solution.
    07-19-2014 12:01 PM
    Mine isn't getting that hot with normal usage, while charging I noticed it did get quite warm but that's to be expected.
    07-19-2014 03:27 PM
    I lowered the brightness in display setting's "brightness profile", and it seems the phone is less hot now... It could be just my imagination though :D
    ali80 likes this.
    07-19-2014 05:12 PM
    I have had my Lumia 930 since Friday and unfortunately it's going back to Amazon.fr tomorrow.

Initially during the initial set up & installing apps the handset got very very hot. I would expect it to get warm but not very very hot. I thought maybe it's just a sort of initializing / bedding in period and the heat issue would resolve itself however I am now on day 3 and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the phone even something as simple as web browsing or sending a text the handset will get very very hot making the handset very uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

I have had several phones over the past 24 months and all of them have got warm to some extent but non have got very very hot!!! so it's going back for a refund. If i am totally honest I am also underwhelmed by the camera straight out of the box. I know you can fiddle about using different lenses to improve the quality and zoom but if you are paying 400 + for a sim free handset I would expect everything to work straight out of the box.
    Have you tried disabling NFC and bluetooth. And Nokia camera requires a bit of getting used to. If you just wanna take quick easy photos just use the default camera.
    jm4cc likes this.
    07-19-2014 05:20 PM
411 12345 ...