07-24-2015 11:36 AM
411 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I cant reproduce any of this described heating. i use my 930 very often during the day for browsing, emails, Videos. Also, i tried to Play some graphical games like Asphalt. it doesnt get any warmer than my 920 and the battery life is great, much better than on my 920. So, i think there must be a lot of problematic phones around (Hardware?). I have always on GPS, Bluetooth, but no NFC
    07-21-2014 08:34 AM
    can EVERYONE facing this issue please tweet @NokiaHelps regarding the overheating issue as they don't seem to be taking me seriously. It could be of great help to us all.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks
    07-21-2014 08:34 AM
    Me too.. It's getting as hot as my 925 with the Wp8.1 DP. I thought that the cyan firmware was going to fix it but no.. The 930 is getting hotter that the 925.. Maybe wpcentral should post an article about it
    Every windows phone I've had (NL810, 920, 925) has heated up pretty bad when playing games or using IE. IE kills my battery too.

With the heat thing, certain apps like Tumblr, certain games (Risk) and always IE makes the phone really heat up. Not just warm... Hot. Almost forgot... GPS gets the phones super hot too.
    07-21-2014 08:37 AM
    I also have this problem, when i work for 5-10 minutes my Nokia Lumia 930 is going to be hot and if i touch it for a 10 minutes more, my hand can be burning..So my hand stand hot for all the day.. I just buy it before 3 days on switzerland about 700fr (600euro) so I want to know if any chance is to fix that problem?
    07-21-2014 09:05 AM
    Every windows phone I've had (NL810, 920, 925) has heated up pretty bad when playing games or using IE. IE kills my battery too.

With the heat thing, certain apps like Tumblr, certain games (Risk) and always IE makes the phone really heat up. Not just warm... Hot. Almost forgot... GPS gets the phones super hot too.
    as i have written above, thats not true for all cases. My 920 and my 930 are not getting hot, only warm. not in IE and not with GPS. I will test Tumblr and Risk, cause i dont know them
    07-21-2014 09:05 AM
    I had flashed my 930 to the UK/GB ROM and I haven't noticed any heat problems whatsoever now - pretty strange since I was facing slight issues before.
    07-21-2014 09:06 AM
    I had flashed my 930 to the UK/GB ROM and I haven't noticed any heat problems whatsoever now - pretty strange since I was facing slight issues before.
    Dear sandeepsb, can you tell me how to flash my 930? Any tutorial?
    07-21-2014 09:11 AM
    I bought 930 lumia in Russia and I have the same problem with overheating. When phone are using for 5-6 minutes, it's becoming very hot, like a hell
    07-21-2014 09:17 AM
    Dear sandeepsb, can you tell me how to flash my 930? Any tutorial?
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-firmware.html
    07-21-2014 09:28 AM
    can EVERYONE facing this issue please tweet @NokiaHelps regarding the overheating issue as they don't seem to be taking me seriously. It could be of great help to us all.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks
    Done. I don't own a 930 yet but I've expressed my serious concern and amazement that such a thing could go on with no word of an update to fix it. If they reply with something lazy I'll simply send them something along the lines of "oh well, I'm sure Samsung will take my pennies instead".

I really think people should do this. It's the only way to get MicroNokia to take action.
    07-21-2014 11:23 AM
    I dont have a 930, I have a lumia 820 and sometimes it really gets hot..it seems like a Lumia problem. I noticed it gets more hot when is plugged and browsing or plugged during a call...
    07-21-2014 11:24 AM
    It is cold when idle.

It gets warm in normal use, nothing special though, lower right corner with metal frame.

It gets really warm/hot when:
    - longer browsing with IE
    - using Bing Health - it gets hot when you input the data (meals and stuff)
    - wireless charging (to be expected)
    - playing Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (94 levels and connected to FB, I'm not surprised it gets hot, 925 was almost unplayable at this point with its lower performance, 930 seems twice as fast)
    - prolonged use of camera
    - car navigation (the sun adds up I guess)

My 925 does all the same though (but in the top-right corner) and I consider it all more or less "normal", except for the Bing Health and IE part - these apps should be fixed.
    07-21-2014 11:36 AM
    It is cold when idle.

It gets warm in normal use, nothing special though, lower right corner with metal frame.

It gets really warm/hot when:
    - longer browsing with IE
    - using Bing Health - it gets hot when you input the data (meals and stuff)
    - wireless charging (to be expected)
    - playing Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (94 levels and connected to FB, I'm not surprised it gets hot, 925 was almost unplayable at this point with its lower performance, 930 seems twice as fast)
    - prolonged use of camera
    - car navigation (the sun adds up I guess)
    Its not really normal, my iPhone or any other phone I've had for that matter never got hot using camera or playing a game, maybe after using navigation for a long time.

Compared to my 930 my 625 is cold!!
    07-21-2014 11:57 AM
    I think it has something to do with sensorcore, bluetooth and NFC being on. Try disabling them.
    07-21-2014 12:00 PM
    Its not really normal, my iPhone or any other phone I've had for that matter never got hot using camera or playing a game, maybe after using navigation for a long time.

Compared to my 930 my 625 is cold!!
    Define hot :)

As I've said it's very warm, still not uncomfortable and we have really hot summer here (35+ Celsius degrees).
    And 925 does the same.

I think it has something to do with sensorcore, bluetooth and NFC being on. Try disabling them.
    I always disable these.
    07-21-2014 12:01 PM
    I've had my 930 for 5 days or so now, and yes, it did get quite warm during the first few days. However, it seems to have settled down now, after a couple of battery charge cycles. No more problems with overheating...
    07-21-2014 12:29 PM
    Ok guys, I've tweeted @NokiaHelps and told them my 930 gets really hot and the battery dies after 4 hours (this isn't true since I don't own a 930 yet but I'm just trying to help y'all). I got asked if I have any background tasks running and answered no. In the end they simply told me most high-end flagships get hot during heavy use and that the 930 will cool down during light use.
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-21-2014 01:29 PM
    Ok guys, I've tweeted @NokiaHelps and told them my 930 gets really hot and the battery dies after 4 hours (this isn't true since I don't own a 930 yet but I'm just trying to help y'all). I got asked if I have any background tasks running and answered no. In the end they simply told me most high-end flagships get hot during heavy use and that the 930 will cool down during light use.
    Meh, rather not bloat the issue. It's hard to say just how widespread the problem is, but "helping out" soon gets the phone into headlights with a big "FAIL" stamp all over it :P
    07-21-2014 01:32 PM

Also I asked if there was an update planned to address the issue and got told that "we can't comment on future updates"
    07-21-2014 01:35 PM
    Meh, rather not bloat the issue. It's hard to say just how widespread the problem is, but "helping out" soon gets the phone into headlights with a big "FAIL" stamp all over it :P
    You're probably right, and it'd be a shame since I really want one, but when the headline on the news part of this site is "Is your 930 a hot potato?" there have to be genuine concerns.
    07-21-2014 01:35 PM

Also I asked if there was an update planned to address the issue and got told that "we can't comment on future updates"
    Had exactly the same response. Its nonsense I've never experienced this before on any phone I've had. And I've had a lot of "flagship" devices.
    07-21-2014 01:43 PM
    Had exactly the same response. Its nonsense I've never experienced this before on any phone I've had. And I've had a lot of "flagship" devices.
    S5 using 801 cpu gets really warm aswell.
    07-21-2014 01:44 PM
    You're probably right, and it'd be a shame since I really want one, but when the headline on the news part of this site is "Is your 930 a hot potato?" there have to be genuine concerns.
    It's quite different when the topic originates from here and WPC just highlights it as opposed to it being recognized as a widespread issue by fe. Nokia itself or mainstream media.

The amount of complaints about 930 heating up doesn't really seem to be that much more than what I've seen in the past with other phones (with potentially different flaws, but flaws nonetheless) that still weren't widespread issues.
    07-21-2014 01:47 PM
    I quite agree. I have a GALAXY S II right now and it doesn't heat much (although this is due to the polycarbonate shell trapping the heat). However, my dad has a Sony Xperia Z, which of course has an aluminum frame and it only really heats when he plays an intense game, and this is on the older, Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset and Android, which is hungrier for resources. So.
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-21-2014 01:49 PM
    It's quite different when the topic originates from here and WPC just highlights it as opposed to it being recognized as a widespread issue by fe. Nokia itself or mainstream media.

The amount of complaints about 930 heating up doesn't really seem to be that much more than what I've seen in the past with other phones (with potentially different flaws, but flaws nonetheless) that still weren't widespread issues.
    I agree. Similar threads popped up upon release of the 920. Just search "overheating Lumia 920" on this site and you will see what I'm talking about. It was never determined that the 920 was inherently defective in this regard and so far it doesn't seem that the situation with the 930 is really any different. Part of the problem is that people have different tolerances and experiences with heat-related issues on their smartphone.
    07-21-2014 02:04 PM
411 ... 45678 ...