Lumia 930 overheating!

drtolson

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 930 for 5 days or so now, and yes, it did get quite warm during the first few days. However, it seems to have settled down now, after a couple of battery charge cycles. No more problems with overheating...

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys, I've tweeted @NokiaHelps and told them my 930 gets really hot and the battery dies after 4 hours (this isn't true since I don't own a 930 yet but I'm just trying to help y'all). I got asked if I have any background tasks running and answered no. In the end they simply told me most high-end flagships get hot during heavy use and that the 930 will cool down during light use.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I've tweeted @NokiaHelps and told them my 930 gets really hot and the battery dies after 4 hours (this isn't true since I don't own a 930 yet but I'm just trying to help y'all). I got asked if I have any background tasks running and answered no. In the end they simply told me most high-end flagships get hot during heavy use and that the 930 will cool down during light use.

Meh, rather not bloat the issue. It's hard to say just how widespread the problem is, but "helping out" soon gets the phone into headlights with a big "FAIL" stamp all over it :p

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site

Also I asked if there was an update planned to address the issue and got told that "we can't comment on future updates"

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Meh, rather not bloat the issue. It's hard to say just how widespread the problem is, but "helping out" soon gets the phone into headlights with a big "FAIL" stamp all over it :p

You're probably right, and it'd be a shame since I really want one, but when the headline on the news part of this site is "Is your 930 a hot potato?" there have to be genuine concerns.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Also I asked if there was an update planned to address the issue and got told that "we can't comment on future updates"

Had exactly the same response. Its nonsense I've never experienced this before on any phone I've had. And I've had a lot of "flagship" devices.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You're probably right, and it'd be a shame since I really want one, but when the headline on the news part of this site is "Is your 930 a hot potato?" there have to be genuine concerns.

It's quite different when the topic originates from here and WPC just highlights it as opposed to it being recognized as a widespread issue by fe. Nokia itself or mainstream media.

The amount of complaints about 930 heating up doesn't really seem to be that much more than what I've seen in the past with other phones (with potentially different flaws, but flaws nonetheless) that still weren't widespread issues.

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Had exactly the same response. Its nonsense I've never experienced this before on any phone I've had. And I've had a lot of "flagship" devices.

I quite agree. I have a GALAXY S II right now and it doesn't heat much (although this is due to the polycarbonate shell trapping the heat). However, my dad has a Sony Xperia Z, which of course has an aluminum frame and it only really heats when he plays an intense game, and this is on the older, Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset and Android, which is hungrier for resources. So.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It's quite different when the topic originates from here and WPC just highlights it as opposed to it being recognized as a widespread issue by fe. Nokia itself or mainstream media.

The amount of complaints about 930 heating up doesn't really seem to be that much more than what I've seen in the past with other phones (with potentially different flaws, but flaws nonetheless) that still weren't widespread issues.

I agree. Similar threads popped up upon release of the 920. Just search "overheating Lumia 920" on this site and you will see what I'm talking about. It was never determined that the 920 was inherently defective in this regard and so far it doesn't seem that the situation with the 930 is really any different. Part of the problem is that people have different tolerances and experiences with heat-related issues on their smartphone.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure these are all software issues. Same thing happened when WP 8.0 was first getting released on the 920. The camera issues can't be hardware-related either considering it's all the same internals as the 1520, which performs well.

Yes, Microsoft/Nokia has been slow to fix things, but I wouldn't panic. I highly doubt this is a matter of mass amounts of defective units.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Similar threads popped up upon release of the 920. Just search "overheating Lumia 920" on this site and you will see what I'm talking about. It was never determined that the 920 was inherently defective in this regard and so far it doesn't seem that the situation with the 930 is really any different. Part of the problem is that people have different tolerances and experiences with heat-related issues on their smartphone.

Yeah, it was largely the same things, "bad battery life and getting hot". It was a thing at least on these forums for a while, but quieted down sometime after release and never did I see an actual media piece about the 920 having any widespread issue regarding battery life or heat. I'm not saying the 920 had either a great battery life or stayed very cool, but it probably indicated that it really wasn't all that different from most high end smartphones. Battery life then again is dependant on battery size too, 1520 is a pretty good example of that, it keeps surprising me every time I hear all the positive stuff about 1520s battery :D Windows Phones have never typically been all that praised for their battery lives.

But once again I don't deny that there are units that get too hot and/or have abysmal battery life, but these are probably just defect units to some extent, not really a good representative of the phone in general. Warranty should cover for these, but I understand that there's sort of a high bar to exchange your phone when it's hard to quantify what is "too hot" or what is "too short battery life", when usage varies so much between users.

My 920 lasts all day easily with my typical usage and sometimes even with usage heavier than normal for me, that is enough for me.

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, tonight is the second night with this phone. I let the battery drain completely, let it sit for an hour, then tried turning it on to drain it some more. Now it's on the charger, it's on the floor (tiles) so I'm doing my best to keep it cool. It's 30% and it doesn't seem hot at all. Don't know if it's the tiles or if it's working as it should.

Will update tomorrow after I let it sit on the charger overnight. I also think my battery was being drained by motion data.

Concerning the above posts of everyone complaining, same as they did with the 920. View the temperature readings posted. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/295840-5.htm#post2653700 That's not normal. Wait until some low life holds onto it until he actually causes harm to himself and then takes this thing to court.

I had an Omnia 7 which had an aluminum back plate I believe, it rarely got that hot. And my 630, only got hot when playing games or heavy browsing. The 930 is getting hot as soon as I turn the camera on and try to focus.

Last edited:

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So I have moved back onto my iphone 5s, and it feels so small! Anyhow I installed iOS 8 beta 4 and spent about 30-40 mins setting it up.

The phone got quite hot, just like the 930. the difference here was I was downloading and installing constantly for that time, and messing with settings etc. To get the 930 up to the same/similar temp all I had to do was play a YouTube video and that took 2-3 mins to heat up.

So YES I agree high end devices do heat up, however not as quick as the lumia 930 does, heating up that quick is not normal, nor will it help with the life of the device. No wonder Nokia are offering a 24 month warranty period.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I beg to differ, my 920 gets uncomfortably hot, whereas my 930 never got uncomfortably hot. Both using WP 8.1, both doing the same tasks when tested (GPS navigation and internet browsing)

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure it's a hardware issue, coz i remember when i reported it in my 920, others are having good battery life whereas mine have relatively poor battery life.

ThomasWeiss

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
As the phone is both overheating and draining the battery, I would rather suspect a software issue (like some OS task not behaving correctly). I put mine in flight mode before going to bed, the battery was 97% (minutes after a full charge...) and when I woke up 9 hours later, it was at 80%! Lost 17% as it should be doing nearly nothing...

Fyi, I've just done a factory reset but the problem is still there. I love this phone, the form factor is just perfect for me (coming from a 1520) but I'll swap it for a new one by the end of the week if the situation does not improve (I'm still under the 7 days exchange policy).

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
As the phone is both overheating and draining the battery, I would rather suspect a software issue (like some OS task not behaving correctly). I put mine in flight mode before going to bed, the battery was 97% (minutes after a full charge...) and when I woke up 9 hours later, it was at 80%! Lost 17% as it should be doing nearly nothing...

Fyi, I've just done a factory reset but the problem is still there. I love this phone, the form factor is just perfect for me (coming from a 1520) but I'll swap it for a new one by the end of the week if the situation does not improve (I'm still under the 7 days exchange policy).

Im going to have to suspect this is the case as well. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a combination of overheating and battery drain could indicate that the processor or some other aspect of the hardware is being overworked by something. (processor being overworked = uses more energy = uses energy from battery).
Sure it could still be a hardware problem but you gotta eliminate al the possibilities (and hardware would probably be the last thing to be diagnosed)

I suggest this thread where it seems there may be a solution:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ing-delayed-power-button-wakes-try-these.html

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Im going to have to suspect this is the case as well. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a combination of overheating and battery drain could indicate that the processor or some other aspect of the hardware is being overworked by something. (processor being overworked = uses more energy = uses energy from battery).
Sure it could still be a hardware problem but you gotta eliminate al the possibilities (and hardware would probably be the last thing to be diagnosed)

I suggest this thread where it seems there may be a solution:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ing-delayed-power-button-wakes-try-these.html

All this should have been learned from the Lumia Icon. And sorted out during the delay. It's almost like the didn't listen to their users, and as it's pretty much the last Nokia branded device said "arrrr f##k it!".

I feel hugely let down by the Lumia 930. No previews or reviews mentioned anything about the issues which are pretty apparent.

I dunno maybe I'm expecting too much from an expensive device.

One thing I noticed this morning, my hand is colder as I mess on my iPhone.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I beg to differ, my 920 gets uncomfortably hot, whereas my 930 never got uncomfortably hot. Both using WP 8.1, both doing the same tasks when tested (GPS navigation and internet browsing)

My 625 never gets hot doing the same apparently intensive tasks as the 930.

Watching videos on YouTube the 930 heats up something rotten. And the 625 is a lower spec?!?

My biggest issue is my kids borrow my phone to watch YouTube or play games. What happens when the 930 heats up so much it burns one of them? Well the younger 2. The 3 yo will happily watch peppy pig 4-5 episodes. The 930 can't handle 2 mins of video without heating up!

It's a shame as I loved the big vibrant screen, and WP in general. But these little niggles should have been fixed, especially as they were raised with the 6mth old Lumia icon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss