Lumia 930 overheating!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Icon user for 5 months here. I'd encourage you all to allow Cortana & your phone's apps to settle in a bit before returning it for being too hot. It's normal. It gets better. Chill.

Pun intended :evil:

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So does anyone has experienced abnormal hot issue during charging? The battery % isn't up instead it's dropping or keeping flat.

I wonder if I got a defective device.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
hmm..mine is still nice an cool, it got a little bit hot when i was dowloading 2000 songs for offline mode from spotify but not as hot as before. Just wondering if is it a hardware fail or software? is it just a small amout of people with those problems? I will update every app when i come back from my vacation if its get hot i gain i will return and hope that another device do not have that problem.

I owned all iphones from the start but i tried wp 8.1 phone i borowed from my friend an i falled in love, i hope that overheating prob will be fixed soon becouse i realy dont want to go back to iphone, apple phones r realy god but i see a future in wp phones. Microsoft/nokia have to do it right this time, they cant afford issues like that, if the skrew up it will sink like titanic.

sorry for my english, getting late....

It's pretty clear that if it starts doing it after you update apps that it's just some specific software bugging out and not the phone itself, thus exchanging the phone wouldn't most likely help if you would still update the exact same apps with the new phone.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have done some research in this area, and this is how far I have come:

First of all, my phone also got really hot in the beginning (it is now 1 week old) and it really didn't matter what I did (explorer, sms, phone call) it got really hot in the bottom area of the phone.

1. I deleted 3 third party apps that made the phone really how when I used them. The phone got less hot, but still a bit to hot imo.
2. Reset to factory setting and didn't update my apps. The problem was pretty much gone and the phone was just a bit warm when doing some pretty hard work (and that's totally OK).

What I will do next it to manually update one and one app until I find that one ******* application that makes the phone hot, but the reset of the phone itself might have done the trick.

Another thing is that the phone itself have been less hot every day since I got it. Now it only gets a little warm, and it took a week of hard use. The battery is also getting better every day.

I do believe that that some apps are responsible to the overheating stuff, and if you use a third party app that makes the phone hot, try to delete it and use the phone further on without it to see if that helps. If your on your first days of using the phone, give it some more days. There is a lot going on the first days of use, and that might be a factor that many don't consider.

Just my two cents, might be wrong but I am certainly seeing improvements every day. Really happy with the phone, great design and so nice to use. :)

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, apps still can only do work in background every 30 minutes.. so I'd look for something with higher capabilities, and there, only system apps and Cortana come to my mind. I had an 820 before my 930 and tried Cortana there (I'm german, so change of language there) and the battery drained really fast. I didn't even bother changing the language for Cortana on my 930 (I don't like talking to my phone) and I don't have any problems, so it's really possible Cortana is the problem here..

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, apps still can only do work in background every 30 minutes.. so I'd look for something with higher capabilities, and there, only system apps and Cortana come to my mind. I had an 820 before my 930 and tried Cortana there (I'm german, so change of language there) and the battery drained really fast. I didn't even bother changing the language for Cortana on my 930 (I don't like talking to my phone) and I don't have any problems, so it's really possible Cortana is the problem here..

no all new phones heat up on the first day due to initial syncing of accounts etc,cortana doesnt heat up or reduce battery life on my 720 and 820 for me atleast though i can confirm that a hard reset and restoring of data does cause my phones(including my nexus 5,z10,720,820) to heat up and drain battery rapidly

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Isn't that 30 minute background update reduced to 1 minute in 8.1. That's what I've read.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The phone does get hot, and i have noticed "heat warnings" on some apps like camera apps so this must be the norm.

I like the phone, and would not send it back yet. As a another user mentioned - the camera, i also have an issue with the sub par camera. But this only seems to be in low light. When you take pics when its a nice day, you really cant beat the pictures. I am guessing it just takes some laying with and getting used to in order to produce stunning looking pictures with the pureview lumia devices.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The phone does get hot, and i have noticed "heat warnings" on some apps like camera apps so this must be the norm.

I like the phone, and would not send it back yet. As a another user mentioned - the camera, i also have an issue with the sub par camera. But this only seems to be in low light. When you take pics when its a nice day, you really cant beat the pictures. I am guessing it just takes some laying with and getting used to in order to produce stunning looking pictures with the pureview lumia devices.

I havnt really got to try the camera in actual low light (just indoors at tech stores), but low light is very challenging regardless which phone's camera we talk about. 920 was amongst the first that had decent low light, but obviously it's still not anywhere near a GOOD picture. Bu it's still a crapton better than most competitors can do in the same lighting.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that 30 minute background update reduced to 1 minute in 8.1. That's what I've read.

it's a bit different, the apps can still only do a real update every 30 minutes, but can now schedule something like live tile updates that happen every minute. Simplified, the app can schedule changes every 30 minutes that get changed more often.

It's clear that it heats up in the beginning, at least when restoring from a backup (uncompressing app archives etc), but I have it for 6 days now, and to me the heat issue seems at least a bit caused by cortana/english language. After all, the battery life is not at all bad for me - even a bit better than on my 820.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

My 930 hasn't arrived yet, but on my 920 I always take low light pictures with Microsoft Camera rather than Nokia Camera. They come out much better; try this on the 930 and see what results you get!

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
My 930 was very hot at the first week, maybe because I was installing apps and messing around with it. But now it's ok and doesn't get so hot - it can get hot under heavy mobile data usage or navigation but that happens with all phones. My brother's 5S gets hot under the same situation.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Send it back OP. Sounds like you picked up a lemon of a handset. Hopefully the next one was build in a factory where the quality controls are in place and observed.

tydytek

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
can somebody confirm that my solution is working? just wondering if that was realy the update of apps that couzing that problem with hot phone and battery draing fast, it works for me, and now even when i charging the phone its stay cool.

You are not the only one who noticed that.. It has been the same with my 720 and 520 since Lumia Black.
After factory reset the battery lasts for 4 days of medium usage (all 3rd party apps installed and used).
After updating the system apps the phone is heating a lot and battery is drained quite quickly (max. 2 days).
I have a feeling that somebody in nokia/microsoft f*cked up someting pretty badly about half a year ago and nobody cares..

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My 930 hasn't arrived yet, but on my 920 I always take low light pictures with Microsoft Camera rather than Nokia Camera. They come out much better; try this on the 930 and see what results you get!

That's exactly what I want to say. The problem seems to be the software Nokia Camera. It does produce noisy/blur pictures at low night circumstance without flash. The native camera is handling fine.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So far being used 2days with normal heat and battery life. I did one hard reset and several soft resets(volume down + power button).
I don't know if a soft reset has done the trick. But you guys can give it a shot first, if you are hesitating to do a factory reset.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So far being used 2days with normal heat and battery life. I did one hard reset and several soft resets(volume down + power button).
I don't know if a soft reset has done the trick. But you guys can give it a shot first, if you are hesitating to do a factory reset.
Hi sorry, but what is normal battery life?
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro