Lumia 930 overheating!

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
DId a 1h25min video recording with the 930 yesterday. The aluminium frame became so hot that I couldn't hold it anylonger ;). Using a flip case is the solution.

I would suggest,you don't,do that again. The flip cover might protect your palms from getting burnt but the internals would still be very very hot. Frequent heat like that Might damage the phone. You can consider getting a replacement piece. I think they will push an update soon to resolve the issue.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I think those who have overheating 930 have defective units.

My 920 was and is doing that whenever i do intense stuffs like GPS or gaming. And I remember I reported that and there were other users who didn't have that problem and theirs could easily last more than a day. Mine couldn't.

However, I am pleased to say that my 930 doesn't heat up much at all and is comfortable to hold despite an hour of GPS navigation. And yes, the battery can easily last more than a day

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Nothing major for me so far. I have noticed it getting warm in certain spots but only during certain types of use.

In my experience so far it's not getting as hot as my 920 during charging.

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
This is so jacked. I don't buy a new phone with all these options, only to be forced to turn them off to save battery and to stop my hand from getting burned.

Today is my first full day with the 930. On my drive to work today (15min) my battery drained 8%. The phone temperature itself was acceptable (but you could tell it was processing something). The phone did absolutely nothing other than pair with my cars Bluetooth.

My other phone (630) was playing music through Xbox Music, had wireless on (and connected) and still showed 100% when I got to work.

Both of them have the same settings aside from the wifi & bluetooth. Cortana on. NFC off.The only exception was that the 930 had motion data on. I've now turned that off. I'll be happy if that's the culprit, but even so. At the end of the day, I actually want to use that option. These phones are turning into Androids, gotta carry a charger around if I want to use all the options.

I'll update and see if that fixes things. If not, I'll drain the battery completely and charge it, since every time I've restarted I was shown a new lower %. I wouldn't care so much also if the battery was replaceable. This 930 is replacing my Omnia 7 which I was very content with (aside from it becoming obsolete) and I was happy with it that I bought another battery for it. I can't do that with this down the line.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

So, it is almost 2 weeks of using L930.
- even sending some SMS is heating the phone up (just a little bit, but it is there)
- I tried to just follow the GPS (without navigating, just looking on screen), heating really much
- during the sunny and hot weekend, I tried to catch up 3G, I got only EDGE connection, and while trying to load up YouTube video, I almost throw the phone to water to cool it down :grin:

So I want to ask - should I try to go to replacement ? I have time only till Friday to get replacement for free, so if somebody can response really fast, I will appreciate it.

Also, I am done with confusion about OS version, and Cyan (un)availability. Was it expected for me to run Lumia Cyan right out from box ?
About WP version, currently I am running WP8.1 "8.10.12397.895" (phone bought in Czech Republic) - is this considered as Preview for Developers ? If not, why is WP8.1 still under "Upcoming and Rumored OSs" ?

Thank you so much.

Bobi.

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

So, it is almost 2 weeks of using L930.
- even sending some SMS is heating the phone up (just a little bit, but it is there)
- I tried to just follow the GPS (without navigating, just looking on screen), heating really much
<snip>

Is your battery life horrible? If it is and you've tried a hard reset, I would send it back in. I'm going to be doing the same if it doesn't improve in the next few days. Wish I could return it to a store, I bought it from expansys :(

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Is your battery life horrible? If it is and you've tried a hard reset, I would send it back in. I'm going to be doing the same if it doesn't improve in the next few days. Wish I could return it to a store, I bought it from expansys :(

Well, I can say, draining was pretty intensive, more than I expected. I can not measure it in percents, I just can say, that battery bar moved like after kick.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've tested the temps and with Battery Discharger Pro running everything (GPS, CPU etc), the hottest place is just above the camera button and gets to 51 celsius. That was using an infra red thermometer. Anything above 44C can cause burns after long exposure. I could not test the metal directly because it reflects the infra red.

SAM_3431.JPG
SAM_3432.JPG
SAM_3433.JPG

Last edited:

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've tested the temps and with Battery Discharger Pro running everything (GPS, CPU etc), the hottest place is just above the camera button and gets to 50deg Celsius. That was using an infra red thermometer. Anything above 44C can cause burns after long exposure.

I can say, that in my case, L930 is really hot in bottom part, right around antennas (I guess ?).

antonyw999

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Got mine on Friday. Was initially very alarmed and disappointed with the ridiculous heat generated especially during the first charge. I've never had a phone get so hot. The battery also ran out completely in half a day. It ran pretty hot on Saturday at odd times which I couldn't find a specific reason for. Sunday and today (so far) the temperature has been normal and the battery life has improved considerably. There seems to be an initial period of settling in before the phone starts behaving normally. It's a problem I never had with my 1520 but as others have said maybe the heat dissipates better over the larger surface. I'm going to see how it goes for the week but signs are good. Love the phone. Definitely the best all round Lumia and I'm not at all disappointed with the camera, although I haven't done much low light stuff yet.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I've tested the temps and with Battery Discharger Pro running everything (GPS, CPU etc), the hottest place is just above the camera button and gets to 51 celsius. That was using an infra red thermometer. Anything above 44C can cause burns after long exposure. I could not test the metal directly because it reflects the infra red.

View attachment 72673
View attachment 72671
View attachment 72672

hmm looks like a serious hardware issue then,maybe nokia will replace them for you guys

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that the poly carbonate back cover is slightly lifting in the corner where the heat is based.

Just noticed on mine that it sits higher out of the ally frame and can be pushed down, so it has definitely lifted. Not impressed and may return it for another one.

carryonvending

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I too, had a GREEN GRIDDLE plate whilst downloading apps + photos + contacts using WP Desktop App on my PC. So hot, I used a glove.:devil:

Since that time, I changed the existing CA-101 connector from earlier Lumia and used the one it the box. Seems ok now.
This is my fourth Lumia (800 +Replacement 800 + 620) now 930. All previous one ran warm, but not like this.

Other than that, love the phone to bits....Well worth waiting for:excited::excited::excited:

vinceklein

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I had to return my 930 because it got unbearably hot by even mundane tasks such as browsing or using the camera.
Totally pathetic not to overhaul the thermal management of the "ICON".

WP Flagship, my ***.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
At the moment I can't say I've had too many issues with it being hot. I don't think it is any hotter than my 920 used to get and it could just be feeling worse due to the metal edge. Those who get it during texting though want to have their devices swapped. I'm going to keep an eye on it though and see if I've just missed it happening i.e. put it down before the heat issue happened.

simplescheme

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Got my 930 on Saturday from o2 Germany. Thing is getting really hot in the lower right corner. Yesterday I measured it with my BBQ meat thermometer and the bottom right was nearly 50 degree Celsius.
Other issues I've noticed are:
- Battery drains very fast.
- Nokia panorama lens doesn't work. I've tried several Panoramas and all of them were faulty. Same shots on my old trusty 920 are just fine.
- the display on the 930 has some really weird issues when scrolling text. The text gets very blurry during scrolling. Same text on my wifes Omnia7 (also OLED) is just fine. Not as smooth as on my 920 but a lot better than on the 930.
- display also is not calibrated correct. Black menus have a purple cast. I could fix this with the display settings.
- reception is also muh worse than on my 920. When testing side by side I sometimes only have Edge on the 930 where my 920 is going full steam H+.

Today I was in various ships here on Cologne, Germany and checked 6 930s. After showing the issues to the shop personnel in two shops with their units on display they unboxed 2 brand new 930s. All had the same issues.

This is really a shame and for me this could well be the end with WP as I am sitting here with a unusable 930 that I will send back and a 920 with a dying battery and with the cancelled McLaren there is no WP handset for me to use in sight. 1520 is way to big for my hands. 5 inch is where it is for me.

So if anyone has a good recommendation:
- high end smartphone
- no big known issues
- 4.5-5" full HD display
- 32GB or 16+SD
- Qi wireless charging would be great.
- decent camera

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So let me get this right...
To use our "high end" Lumia 930's without damaging the hardware (by overheating), or burning ourselves we need to:-
- Switch off SensorCore (Motion Data).
- Use the device in short bursts when playing a game.
- Switch off Bluetooth (which can be used with the treasure tag - i have one.).
- Switch off NFC (I don't really use tbh).
- Not use the camera too long.
- Don't browse for long periods.
- Don't text too often.
- Set emails to come in every 1-2 hours.
- Don't make calls.
- Don't use apps as they could cause the device to overheat.
- Use gloves when using
- Don't use a case, such as the official one by Nokia - CP-637.

So really the reason why we brought the device in the first place are the exact same reasons why we cant use the device as it was intended. And the best way to have the 930, is turned off.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a bit disappointed at the camera, but have had some fantastic shots in day light. But this is getting ridiculous, i am very close to returning the 930 seeing all these issues, and experiencing them first hand - I see a few others have returned their devices too.

I chose to move over to Windows Phone, as I was bored with iPhone and I don't like Android. But I am slowly starting to regret my choice. Not because Windows Phone is bad I really love the OS itself, but the hardware is looking to be its biggest let down.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that's a bit extreme; it's certainly an isolated issue and not related to every 930 model. Many people on the boards have stated that their devices are fine, as is mine; the only time it gets warm is when I first set up the phone and it was restoring my backup/downloading my apps, and when I use the wireless charger supplied in the box (which is odd, but even then it only gets warm and not SUPER hot). The wall charger and my old charging plate that I used with my 920 don't heat it up at all, and I'm constantly browsing social networks, using WhatsApp, the browser and the camera, never gets beyond lukewarm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb