Lumia 930 overheating!

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'd say that's a bit extreme; it's certainly an isolated issue and not related to every 930 model. Many people on the boards have stated that their devices are fine, as is mine; the only time it gets warm is when I first set up the phone and it was restoring my backup/downloading my apps, and when I use the wireless charger supplied in the box (which is odd, but even then it only gets warm and not SUPER hot). The wall charger and my old charging plate that I used with my 920 don't heat it up at all, and I'm constantly browsing social networks, using WhatsApp, the browser and the camera, never gets beyond lukewarm.

So you recommend a full reset and start from scratch?

I would not say its harsh, its quite a fair statement of many users experiences, I for one have paid about ?450 for a device which seems to have a lot of issues. Issues which more than one person is having, issues which were present in a model released back in Feb 2014. Its not acceptable really.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
From my point of view, I will give L930 one more chance, and I will try to get replacement phone, to see, if it will have same issues.

If yes, what do you recommend ? L925 or L1020 ?

Edit: I also asked above, can please somebody give me an answer ?

Also, I am done with confusion about OS version, and Cyan (un)availability. Was it expected for me to run Lumia Cyan right out from box ?
About WP version, currently I am running WP8.1 "8.10.12397.895" (phone bought in Czech Republic) - is this considered as Preview for Developers ? If not, why is WP8.1 still under "Upcoming and Rumored OSs" ?

Mizmo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
first, let me say that even if the device might get very hot that doesn't mean that it is overheating.

the only time where my 930 got very hot was during the first setup, after that it got sometimes warm bot not very hot and I use the phone just like every other device I had so far. lots of browsing, texting, taking photos.....but I don't play on it.

nfc and bluetooth are turned of because I rarely use them. I just turn them on when I need them.
and location is turned off. I always had it on with my previous devices but with the update to 8.1 dev preview on my 920 the device got really hot with it and fb messenger which I use a lot used location 100% of the time even after turning it off. since that bug is still there I turn location only on when I need it.

not other problems with the device I'm quite happy with it. performance, build quality and battery life is much better than on my 920, only the purple tint with very low screen brightness and low light pictures in auto mode are a little but annoying. hope they can fix it with a software update.

@BobiBolivia: go to settings -> extras + infos and there you see if you have Cyan. should come out of the box with the 930

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
From my point of view, I will give L930 one more chance, and I will try to get replacement phone, to see, if it will have same issues.

If yes, what do you recommend ? L925 or L1020 ?

Edit: I also asked above, can please somebody give me an answer ?

Also, I am done with confusion about OS version, and Cyan (un)availability. Was it expected for me to run Lumia Cyan right out from box ?
About WP version, currently I am running WP8.1 "8.10.12397.895" (phone bought in Czech Republic) - is this considered as Preview for Developers ? If not, why is WP8.1 still under "Upcoming and Rumored OSs" ?

WP8.1 "8.10.12397.895" is/was the dev preview, but it was also announced to the the final version. There is a newer version coming soon mind. So to sum it up - 8.10.12397.895 is the current version. If you have a 930, 630, 635 you will be running cyan out of the box. You can check this in settings > Extras + Info

DarthMengon

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I cant reproduce any of this described heating. i use my 930 very often during the day for browsing, emails, Videos. Also, i tried to Play some graphical games like Asphalt. it doesnt get any warmer than my 920 and the battery life is great, much better than on my 920. So, i think there must be a lot of problematic phones around (Hardware?). I have always on GPS, Bluetooth, but no NFC

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
can EVERYONE facing this issue please tweet @NokiaHelps regarding the overheating issue as they don't seem to be taking me seriously. It could be of great help to us all.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Me too.. It's getting as hot as my 925 with the Wp8.1 DP. I thought that the cyan firmware was going to fix it but no.. The 930 is getting hotter that the 925.. Maybe wpcentral should post an article about it

Every windows phone I've had (NL810, 920, 925) has heated up pretty bad when playing games or using IE. IE kills my battery too.

With the heat thing, certain apps like Tumblr, certain games (Risk) and always IE makes the phone really heat up. Not just warm... Hot. Almost forgot... GPS gets the phones super hot too.

Tonyss90

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I also have this problem, when i work for 5-10 minutes my Nokia Lumia 930 is going to be hot and if i touch it for a 10 minutes more, my hand can be burning..So my hand stand hot for all the day.. I just buy it before 3 days on switzerland about 700fr (600euro) so I want to know if any chance is to fix that problem?

DarthMengon

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Every windows phone I've had (NL810, 920, 925) has heated up pretty bad when playing games or using IE. IE kills my battery too.

With the heat thing, certain apps like Tumblr, certain games (Risk) and always IE makes the phone really heat up. Not just warm... Hot. Almost forgot... GPS gets the phones super hot too.

as i have written above, thats not true for all cases. My 920 and my 930 are not getting hot, only warm. not in IE and not with GPS. I will test Tumblr and Risk, cause i dont know them

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I had flashed my 930 to the UK/GB ROM and I haven't noticed any heat problems whatsoever now - pretty strange since I was facing slight issues before.

mrB4el

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought 930 lumia in Russia and I have the same problem with overheating. When phone are using for 5-6 minutes, it's becoming very hot, like a hell

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
can EVERYONE facing this issue please tweet @NokiaHelps regarding the overheating issue as they don't seem to be taking me seriously. It could be of great help to us all.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks

Done. I don't own a 930 yet but I've expressed my serious concern and amazement that such a thing could go on with no word of an update to fix it. If they reply with something lazy I'll simply send them something along the lines of "oh well, I'm sure Samsung will take my pennies instead".

I really think people should do this. It's the only way to get MicroNokia to take action.

WP_290

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I dont have a 930, I have a lumia 820 and sometimes it really gets hot..it seems like a Lumia problem. I noticed it gets more hot when is plugged and browsing or plugged during a call...

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It is cold when idle.

It gets warm in normal use, nothing special though, lower right corner with metal frame.

It gets really warm/hot when:
- longer browsing with IE
- using Bing Health - it gets hot when you input the data (meals and stuff)
- wireless charging (to be expected)
- playing Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (94 levels and connected to FB, I'm not surprised it gets hot, 925 was almost unplayable at this point with its lower performance, 930 seems twice as fast)
- prolonged use of camera
- car navigation (the sun adds up I guess)

My 925 does all the same though (but in the top-right corner) and I consider it all more or less "normal", except for the Bing Health and IE part - these apps should be fixed.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
It is cold when idle.

It gets warm in normal use, nothing special though, lower right corner with metal frame.

It gets really warm/hot when:
- longer browsing with IE
- using Bing Health - it gets hot when you input the data (meals and stuff)
- wireless charging (to be expected)
- playing Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (94 levels and connected to FB, I'm not surprised it gets hot, 925 was almost unplayable at this point with its lower performance, 930 seems twice as fast)
- prolonged use of camera
- car navigation (the sun adds up I guess)

Its not really normal, my iPhone or any other phone I've had for that matter never got hot using camera or playing a game, maybe after using navigation for a long time.

Compared to my 930 my 625 is cold!!

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Its not really normal, my iPhone or any other phone I've had for that matter never got hot using camera or playing a game, maybe after using navigation for a long time.

Compared to my 930 my 625 is cold!!

Define hot :)

As I've said it's very warm, still not uncomfortable and we have really hot summer here (35+ Celsius degrees).
And 925 does the same.

I think it has something to do with sensorcore, bluetooth and NFC being on. Try disabling them.

I always disable these.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo