Lumia 930 overheating!

Niels Faurskov

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I sent mine back a couple weeks ago, and received a new one friday. Unfortunately this one has the exact same problem. It gets really hot in the lower right corner :(. This is really getting tiresome, and my first experience with with Nokia is not very good.
I find that the phone cools down when the screen is off, and then slows gets hotter as the screen is turned on.

I've currently gotten almost 2 days out of the phone, which is good, but I've only gotten this far, because I've felt like I've had to lock the phone as soon as it got hot.

I hope nokia will address this issue soon. What do you guys think I should do with this phone? Send it back, or just wait and see if Nokia releases some fancy update (if it's even solvable by update).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I sent mine back a couple weeks ago, and received a new one friday. Unfortunately this one has the exact same problem. It gets really hot in the lower right corner :(. This is really getting tiresome, and my first experience with with Nokia is not very good.
I find that the phone cools down when the screen is off, and then slows gets hotter as the screen is turned on.

I've currently gotten almost 2 days out of the phone, which is good, but I've only gotten this far, because I've felt like I've had to lock the phone as soon as it got hot.

I hope nokia will address this issue soon. What do you guys think I should do with this phone? Send it back, or just wait and see if Nokia releases some fancy update (if it's even solvable by update).

have you looked at the tips i posted above?

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with most others and say that initially the phone will have terrible battery life and get extremely warm - I had this "issue" too when I first bought my 1020 and I was going to return it, had I not waited two weeks I would've. The OS/phone is trying to set everything up, create new files and caches/databases during first-time use WHILST you're trying to use it, so of course it will get hot. Wait 2-3 weeks without resetting or doing anything risky and if it doesn't improve by then you've definitely got a lemon
That's good advice, though I'd say wait 10 - 12 days to make sure you're within your 14 day return period if you need a replacement.

Last edited:

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
can EVERYONE facing this issue please tweet @NokiaHelps regarding the overheating issue as they don't seem to be taking me seriously. It could be of great help to us all.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks

I did, never got a reply.
Looks like I'm calling the UK office on Monday to get advice.

moubaildotcom

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I took my 930 to the store last week due to the heat and purple screen issues. The heat had already caused the back cover to start getting loose where the heat feels the most. They sent it to the service for a check-up. Instead of fixing anything the repair center sent back a new device with no comments as to what was wrong with the earlier device.

Can't say much about the heat just yet but it would seem that the display is a bit better. At least the purple/darker gradient shade isn't as obvious as before though I think the top area of the screen is still slightly darker than the bottom area.

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I notice I can surf, use facebook, play youtube videos, with it getting comfortably warm.. but when I start using whatsapp to text someone (or whichever app that requires text input), it begins cooking my hand.
The virtual keyboard may be one of the parts of the OS that aren't yet fully optimized. It also misses taps occasionally, a problem that I didn't have in older WP's.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

Tweeted Nokia @NokiaHelps UK today and first off they tried to give it the old "Smartphones heat up" I explained I knew that but this burns up! They tweeted back and forth and certainly seemed to be ignorant of the issue. Recommended the usual reinstall troublesome apps, switch off background tasks. I sent them a link to this forum and promised to report back on my issues. I also sent the below pic wanting to know if it was a joke....

930.jpg

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

Tweeted Nokia @NokiaHelps UK today and first off they tried to give it the old "Smartphones heat up" I explained I knew that but this burns up! They tweeted back and forth and certainly seemed to be ignorant of the issue. Recommended the usual reinstall troublesome apps, switch off background tasks. I sent them a link to this forum and promised to report back on my issues. I also sent the below pic wanting to know if it was a joke....

View attachment 73877

I have also pointed them to this forum.

I hate it when they give it the phone gets warm due to apps etc etc. first off I know that I'm not stupid and second it gets roasting hot to the point it deforms the polycarbonate back slightly.

My god! My iPhone has t had any of these issues! Looks like I could be waiting for the iPhone 6 at this rate! They haven't even communicated on the problem

RusB

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
No issue on my 930 other than intensive gaming. Standard. Had the 920, 925 before and 5s in between. Nothing out of the ordinary thus far..this phone couldn't be better tbh

DMorty

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. My 930 screen flickers when I'm connected to 2g. Its only happened a couple of times because I usually have good reception. I see this is a problem in Germany, but is anyone in the UK experiencing the same issue? Also, my back polycarbonate panel is slight raised by the camera button on either side, it doesn't sit flush with the metal band. Is this usual too?

ThomasWeiss

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
If I may bring a glimpse of hope here...
I changed my overheating 930 for a new one yesterday. I plan to start using it gradually to monitor if/when things would turn bad.

Back home, I kept it charging in flight mode until this morning. The phone remained totally cool during the charge.
I unplugged it this morning and kept it in flight mode until I arrived at work 2 hours later. The battery was 99% then, which was already encouraging considering that my previous one used to lose about 20% in flight mode over the night (approx. 9 hours).
At work, I switched out of flight mode and connected to some WiFi, so it started the massive first-time update. I didn't use it much beyond installing WeChat and chatting a little bit. Now I just come back from lunch where I read the news and browsed a couple of web pages. It stayed cool the whole time (the previous one would clearly have got hot in such a usage). The battery now reads 86%... I would say that in similar usage, the previous one would have been at 50% or below.

It is rather obvious that this phone is "normal". I had a buggy one for 10 days and I know the difference.
Now I should mention that I didn't fully finish the setup, notably I haven't declared any email account. I will continue setting it up gradually over the next days (with email accounts, apps that handle notifications, activating more things in settings...) to see if it remains as good as it is now. Of course, I will keep you posted here.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Coming late to this thread, but wanted to add that my 930 (which, in case it is relevant, came with the 51003 firmware preinstalled) has never had this overheating issue. It will get a little warm in heavy use, but nothing I'd describe as hot. It also got quite hot after 3 hours in the car on a charger with the GPS running, but cooled back down to normal within minutes.

Maybe I'm lucky, but it does feel like maybe there has been a bad batch...

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
There quite possibly was a bad batch early on - I got a replacement 930 yesterday. The original would drop 20% in just over an hour with incredible overheating in the bottom right hand corner, and was like that from day one.

This new device is cool as anything. Gets warm but I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about (and I'm probably only noticing it due to the original getting very hot). It's been off charge now for 4 hours, and I'm currently at 93% with usage.

simplescheme

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully its was really only a bad batch. I've returned my white 930 from o2 Germany and just today ordered a black one non carrier version. I hope this new one will be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven