Recommended -Car Dashboard Mount for 930

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
The only problem I find with the suction mounts is that no matter how strong they are, sooner or later they fall off. I've damaged more than one phone as a result of using them. Never again.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I read with the CR-200 lots of complaints that when you were using the Here app that the wireless charging wasn't powerful enough to even maintain the current charge level of the phone!

Would anyone who's got the CR-201 be able to confirm if Nokia have managed to improve on this or if the problem is still there? As a chap who was hoping to do some long distance journeys with a 930 and a good dock, the comments I have read worry me a bit!

My question exactly - can anyone with the CR201 confirm whether it can keep up with the battery usage of the 930 running Drive+?

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't use Here Drive+ but another app (Yanosik to be exact).
CR-201 does not have problems even charging the phone while navigating.

On the other hand the only difference between CR-201 and CR-200 was an improved mount and being compatible with larger devices so do not expect any changes.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
My current car has a cup holder that just pops out of the dash. I use that (see picture). It's quite deep and the two arms squeeze together on a ratchet and hold it securely.

Otherwise I just put it in the pocket in the centre console in my husbands car which has a power socket there and Bluetooth and sat nav built in.

V1.JPG

anon(8977867)

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I read with the CR-200 lots of complaints that when you were using the Here app that the wireless charging wasn't powerful enough to even maintain the current charge level of the phone!

Would anyone who's got the CR-201 be able to confirm if Nokia have managed to improve on this or if the problem is still there? As a chap who was hoping to do some long distance journeys with a 930 and a good dock, the comments I have read worry me a bit!

I can confirm that the Lumia 930 doesn't get enough charge when using Nokia here maps... It discharges very quickly. I'm selling my cr 201 as a result. I'll just use a cr123 with high amp charger and a high speed usb data cable... Should do the job.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Why do people do this? A guy recommends a product and others immediately make alternative suggestions, completely ignoring the original post? Maybe 'I have a better suggestion because . . .' or even 'I don't agree . . '. I think it's a bloke thing, lol.

Why do you guys think the Brodit is better than the OSO mount? Looks a lot more expensive by the time you buy the mount and the passive cradle.
People have a tendency to start with the "My dog is bigger than your dog" argument every time a product is mentioned. It's quite annoying.

The only problem I find with the suction mounts is that no matter how strong they are, sooner or later they fall off. I've damaged more than one phone as a result of using them. Never again.
Suction cup mounting is best when used only on glass, like the windshield. This just happens to be against the law in many areas, though, and I can't use that where I live. I have a mount that has a thick base filled with sand and a silicon bottom. Stays put even in high-G turns, yet you can pick it up like it's not even mounted. Couldn't find one to work with my phone, so had to use parts from several and build my own.

DavidC_Surrey

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Well I think the main reason is that it is a thread about car mounts for a Nokia 930 so other suggestions should be welcomed not shunned or scorned.

Anyone searching for Nokia 930 car mounts (like me) would find this page and for a minute I got excited because I had never heard of OSO. Sadly though, on further research, it is just another universal mount.

The Brodit system, however, which I have used for many years now and several different phones, is superior precisely because it is specifically made for an individual phone. The phone fits it perfectly. They also do three versions: Dumb mount, cig lighter active mount and fixed wired active mount. They also used to do one with a USB connection which could stream music although I don't believe they do a 930 version like that. Yes they are more expensive, but if you just want something that is stuck to your windscreen then there are literally hundreds to choose from and a quick trip to Halfords will sort you out.

I personally think windscreen mounts look dreadful though so I would never use one. I was looking for an alternative to the Brodit system. As you say, it is quite a lot more money but there is always a reason for that and it isn't always to rip you off. I fancied a change though having used them, for about 10 years but I can't find a decent alternative. You also have the choice of how you want to mount it. They normally have a couple of different mounting points for every car, or like me, you buy a fixed mount that glues or screws to a solid bit of car semi-permanently and then you can mount it where YOU want. You can then move it to your new car or buy the new phone bit for your new phone without having to replace the whole thing at once.

For the life of me I can't see how a company that makes a mount that presses buttons on a phone yet calls itself "universal" can survive.

Just my two pennies worth, but useful information is, erm, useful when you are Googling something you need.

jptbay

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I think the main reason is that it is a thread about car mounts for a Nokia 930 so other suggestions should be welcomed not shunned or scorned.

Love the custom Slip-Grip Holders. Tons of mounting options and slick one handed mounting/removing. All buttons and camera unrestricted. I use one with a Ram mount attached to a Panavise car bracket.

Lumia ICON 929

stockRAM2.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss