coming from 920

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, now typing on my new phone. I installed developer preview on my old Lumia so I can roughly compare these two.

My thoughts,
1. Camera is excellent. Slight more clear compared to my wife's iPhone 5. However, I was expecting it to be able to snap photos fast like an iPhone but so far its just slightly faster than my old Lumia.
2. Excellent screen. So sharp and vibrant! I didn't have issues with the screen like what the others experienced.
3. Heat is no longer an issue on my new phone! Maybe my old phone was defective.

Will update more later. For now really enjoying it! :D

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Not about to write more about the phone yet but this phone so far has well and truly completed my windows phone experience. I can hardly fault the phone much at all, in contrast to my android experience.

That brings me to my next point, why are so many people getting so upset about the purportedly lack of flag ships on windows? This is especially so after McLaren phone has been cancelled.

I mean, test out those newest android phones and compare with the top windows phones like Lumia 930 1520, what is windows lacking I ask? The experience I get with windows better if not on par with android top phones, except for apps but it really is improving a lot at a faster rate than before.

So what if we don't have octacore or qhd display? What difference does it make to your experience of using the phone? In my humble opinion, not much really.

Yes there are minor things like xbox games or untangling of the integration of Facebook with the fabric of the phone but overall the phone experience is good and on par if not better than android experience using top android phones.

I'm not mentioning iPhone here coz I never liked Apple ecosystem so I'm biased there.

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am on ATT. I do not want a 6" phone so the 1520 is out. The Icon is a Verizon Exclusive and the 930 will not work with ATT LTE bands. So I officially have no phone to upgrade to from my L920. That is why I am upset.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I suppose that's the reason why it's an exclusive. The only solution then apart from changing carriers is to buy it outright if you choose to stick to windows.

Anyway, just to update on my experience, battery life is awesome!

I left home with 80% battery, used gps for one hour, 4g internet left on for 8 hours, browsed quite a lot of internet probably all in all 2 hours and still left with 40% battery!

Also,
Last night I left my phone with mobile data 4g enabled and went to sleep, it only drained around 10% battery!

Granted, it's new so the battery reading is probably not accurate. But so far I'm really satisfied because with my semi heavy use I'm confident it can last the whole day, unlike my 920. And at no point was it uncomfortably hot, unlike my old 920.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So now it's been a few days of additional use. Battery life remained good, no overheating at all.

With mobile internet and wifi, (and NFC and bluetooth) on the whole day, from 7am unplug, till 1030pm, with three hours of browsing or so, random songs, i will have 20% battery life in the end. I also had step counting, bing news, bing weather, IE, battery saver all enabled on the background.

I am going to try disabling mobile internet and see if it saves more battery.

now, my concern is I think i dug out something wrong with my device, a small defect i believe. I think it's the same that's experienced by other users of amoled screens on other devices (coz i searched for an answer).
- my screen when displaying bright blue or light yellow has small vertical lines that do not move with images. The vertical lines are barely noticeable when first picked up coz at first you would think it's some grease on the screen, but if you look intently, they are randomly spaced vertical lines that remain there, in the same position, no matter what pictures you look at, as long as the offending colour picked is right. I tried to take a photo of it but just can't capture it accurately.

It's definitely a hardware issue and given how good my other experience has been (compared with others in the forum) I am a bit reluctant to ask for an exchange. Wonder what do you guys think?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So now it's been a few days of additional use. Battery life remained good, no overheating at all.

With mobile internet and wifi, (and NFC and bluetooth) on the whole day, from 7am unplug, till 1030pm, with three hours of browsing or so, random songs, i will have 20% battery life in the end. I also had step counting, bing news, bing weather, IE, battery saver all enabled on the background.

I am going to try disabling mobile internet and see if it saves more battery.

now, my concern is I think i dug out something wrong with my device, a small defect i believe. I think it's the same that's experienced by other users of amoled screens on other devices (coz i searched for an answer).
- my screen when displaying bright blue or light yellow has small vertical lines that do not move with images. The vertical lines are barely noticeable when first picked up coz at first you would think it's some grease on the screen, but if you look intently, they are randomly spaced vertical lines that remain there, in the same position, no matter what pictures you look at, as long as the offending colour picked is right. I tried to take a photo of it but just can't capture it accurately.

It's definitely a hardware issue and given how good my other experience has been (compared with others in the forum) I am a bit reluctant to ask for an exchange. Wonder what do you guys think?

I'd ask for an exchange while I still can. If something's wrong with that one, you can exchange that too. It's a hassle, but a short term one. Worth it IMO.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
This is sad... I just found another bug and so I will definitely ask for an exchange.

The bug has to do with the speaker. It sounds shrill and metallic compared to my 920 or the iphone. It's evident when putting phone on speaker for conversations, music or ring tones.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone verify whether I'm facing a bug or not.

My 930 sounds shrill and metallic, but the store person wouldn't acknowledge that and I can't compare it to another 930 as they don't have it.

Can someone tell me if their 930 sounds the same as their 920 when music played on speaker mode? Please? Or if compared to the iPhone.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I have to declare I have been a windows phone fan since day 1 and am thus biased, I have owned the HTC HD7, the HTC 8X (which is now my wifes phone) the Lumia 920 and now he 930. Having had developer preview on my 920, the software side of the 930 held few surprises for me, but the hardware... WOW.... feels really good in the hand screen is awesome! I am a musician and used the 930 to record a live gig on Friday night, the sound quality is like a professionally rendered live album, cannot comment on the shrillness of the speakers as I always use headphones.

IMHO this phone is a worthy upgrade from the 920 and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the WP experience!!

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I like the sound quality from the 930. It is nice the way the speaker is on the back, but at an angle so when placed on a hard surface the sound quality is pretty decent. I would never listen to music through the internal speaker but for voice podcasts it's great.

I love the dolby virtual surround mode option with headphones. For acoustic stuff it's fab - listening to Passenger, for example, toggling dolby on and off makes a really nice difference - pushes the vocals out away from the head and makes it feel less like everything is inside your head.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's a very decent phone....and that's why it pains me to return it and ask them to get it sent to the technicians.

Okay, adesonic or anyone else, when you hear the nokia ring tone from 930 (or any other ring tone), does it sound different to your 920 or other good WP nokia device? Coz mine definitely sounded different. Metallic and shrill.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
With respect it's probably because most people aren't bothered too much about how the internal speaker sounds. As long as they are alerted to a text or call that's really all that matters!

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
sigh, just received my phone back with nothing done from Optus apart from a factory reset which obviously didn't do anything to my problems...

oh well....I might just ignore them then....unless something bigger crops out. Not worth another reinstall and waiting for their 'repairs' which will not address the issue anyway....

unless anyone else have better suggestions?

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I would do I full return of the phone if possible. Then repurchase it from another store? I'm not sure how warrantee's are handled where you are from?

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
from Australia....with Optus which is a telecom company using postpaid service with them...so, it's gonna be impossible to do that unfortunately.

That's alright...if the screen continues to deteriorate, I will just make a fuss one year later and get a new phone ^^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077