09-06-2014 09:34 AM
67 123
tools
    As I have mentioned in another thread, I have been in touch with Three via their blog both in anticipation of problems on my new phone and after I, like others, had problems. Again I have been assured that they are "working on it" and that my own account will be altered to allow my access to data in my Lumia 930.

I will let you know how I get on.
    07-23-2014 05:05 PM
    Hi everyone. I made my shift from the iPhone 5 to the Nokia Lumia 930, and on the whole the 930 is absolutely fantastic, I'm very pleased with it. I got it from Unlocked-Mobiles.com. However, there's one pretty big problem that I wondered if anyone had any advice on.

I purchased a SIM-Only 'One Plan' from Three last Friday, in order to grab their deal before they removed it a few days ago. Now that I've put my SIM into the Lumia 930, I can make calls, texts and use 3G data (ranging from 0.5mbps to 13mbps depending on where I am), but my phone has never connected to Three's 4G network. It always says either H or H+ in the top left corner.

I have tested it in Birmingham as well as Coventry City Centre, so I know that I am in 4G areas. If I click 'Settings' and then 'Mobile + SIM', it says 'Active Network - 3' and 'Data Connection - On', and under SIM settings, it says 'Highest Connection Speed - 4G', 'Network Selection - Automatic' and 'Mobile Connection Profile - 3 UK'.

So, has anyone managed to connect to Three's 4G network using a Nokia Lumia 930? Three seem to think its a fault with the phone rather than their SIM or network. Do I need to edit any particular APN settings?
    Switch to giffgaff ;)
    Last edited by Pete The Penguin; 07-23-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    07-23-2014 10:23 PM
    Switch to giffgaff ;)
    Giffgaff which offers a maximum of 1gb of data to a certain users who signed up before a certain date, and who's network had had more down times than any other network. In the last year giffgaff has had over 10 downtimes some lasting 3 days (including o2 down times) don't think they are a network to recommend.
    07-24-2014 06:22 AM
    Giffgaff which offers a maximum of 1gb of data to a certain users who signed up before a certain date, and who's network had had more down times than any other network. In the last year giffgaff has had over 10 downtimes some lasting 3 days (including o2 down times) don't think they are a network to recommend.
    Yup.. if O2 goes down, giffgaff goes with it, because they run on O2's infrastructure.
    07-24-2014 06:24 AM
    I've been on giffgaff since they launched, and I've only had one outage in all that time. I've gotten good coverage where other networks struggle.

For 12/month I get 250 mins, unlimited sms, unlimited data and free giffgaff to giffgaff calls. I find they're hard to beat.
    07-24-2014 09:03 AM
    Three has sorted me out. Several others have also been on to them via the blog and have been promised action.

My data speeds are SO much quicker on the L930 than on my L800 on 3G!! If this is how quick 3G can be then I can't wait to get into the city and try out 4G!!😃
    07-24-2014 09:10 AM
    I've been on giffgaff since they launched, and I've only had one outage in all that time. I've gotten good coverage where other networks struggle.

For 12/month I get 250 mins, unlimited sms, unlimited data and free giffgaff to giffgaff calls. I find they're hard to beat.
    Does that include 4G data?

My Three contract ends in September and I need an unlimited data SIM only deal.
    07-24-2014 09:15 AM

New GiffGaff SIM cards are 4G enabled. If you have an old one they will upgrade it for free. But, frankly, Three seems to be very competitive.
    07-24-2014 11:57 AM
    I can confirm that I also have 4G😊
    Very, VERY impressive internet speeds 😵
    07-24-2014 02:02 PM

giffgaff are currently trialing 4g, before the big roll out.
    Last edited by Pete The Penguin; 07-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    07-24-2014 05:06 PM
    Moderator Claire on the Three blog is getting inundated with requests to get things sorted, which she seems to be doing. I take it you all got the idea from here? How long is it taking before your phone has full access to data?
    07-25-2014 08:21 AM
    After escalating to Three's second level tech support problem now fixed. Appears they are dealing with this on a user by user basis and unlocking access to data connection. They are going to be busy as the 8.1 update rolls out!!!! I would have thought they would have had this flagged up by now rather than having the battle through the ordinary help line before getting sorted. Many thanks to Three for sorting anyway, now back to the usual fast and reliable data speeds.
    07-25-2014 09:01 AM
    Three has sorted me out. Several others have also been on to them via the blog and have been promised action.

My data speeds are SO much quicker on the L930 than on my L800 on 3G!! If this is how quick 3G can be then I can't wait to get into the city and try out 4G!!��
    Hi
    I am also trying to get this data issue sorted out on my phone, can you please provide the link to the Three blog where this is getting discussed.

---------------------------------------------------------

Never mind I found it. For future reference the blog posts are in the comments section here Three cleans up at Broadband Genie Road Trip Awards 2014. Welcome to the Three Blog

Thanks
    Last edited by mohammad rasool; 07-30-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    07-30-2014 06:15 AM
    I have Lumia 930. And I'm using EE network. I love it. Where I live no prob with 4G at all. Download speed is 37Mb/s and upload is 25Mb/s. My sister has iPhone 5s on Three. No 4G. And speed not good as Im think must be for 3G Network or HSPDA+.
    08-02-2014 06:37 AM
    I'd double check with them to make sure you're on a 4G plan.
    Three give 4g to all customers at no extra cost as long as you're in a 4g area and your phone is 4g.

I have a 930 on three, sim free version and 4g works fine, not as easy to pick up compared to my 925.

Could be a 930 issue.
    08-03-2014 06:43 PM

No, 3G only.
    08-17-2014 09:13 AM
    I love Three and travel extensively across the UK and have had no more signal issues with them compared to any other network (My work phone is O2 and I hate them). I have travelled from the Scottish highlands to the south coast. I am badgering them to get the 930 as I want one now!
    09-06-2014 09:34 AM
67 123