07-25-2014 10:27 AM
97 1234
tools
    The IOS/Android/WP argument is a bit pointless now because to be frank the phones as in what they do aren't all that dissimilar from one another now. They are not even altogether different in how they do something. Coming from someone who's not particularly techy and has owned all 3 (I've had 3, 4s, wife has 5. daughter got google nexus tab and I've had Samsung galaxy) I feel I'm ideally placed to offer an opinion and the fact is that now it's only personal preference as to which phone you'd buy. The one thing that sticks in my throat about Android and IOS is the constant talk about how much better the app stores are on both but lets be frank 90% of what's on the app store anyway is absolute garbage.

I personally chose the windows phone for 3 reasons, 1) I liked the interface and the way to access apps, this was always my biggest gripe with IOS. The second I'd got a couple of dozen apps I struggled to remember which screen I'd got them on or which folder I'd put them in. 2) The addition of office was a massive plus for me and the integration is great, someone sends me a document, I can read it, in the format it's supposed to be read and upload it to my OneDrive for someone in the office to work on in about 3 clicks. Again I found that whilst IOS and Android could do this it was always clunky and don't even get me started on outlook tasks. They were worryingly bad at syncing tasks between outlook and the phone. 3)The XBOX Music app was a much better concept for me than ITunes as I'd end up blowing a fortune on ITunes just downloading a few songs.

So those are my reasons plus I hate the ITunes desktop app with a passion. Coupled with running 8.1 in the office it was a no brainer for me. However, if I wasn't so heavily reliant on my phone for work would I have bought a WP? I'm not so sure, it would have been a far closer choice then between WP and another Samsung.

WP has a great concept and if they can nail the integration element they really could obliterate the market, certainly on the business user side of the market. Don't listen to the fanboys
    07-21-2014 08:48 AM
    It really is sad how pervasive Android and iPhone fanboys are in the industry. They're at every level. My boss and a few of our programmers went for sales force training and they told me one of the presenters went out of his way to trash WP. Like an out of left field trashing, and his gripe was that "their updates break it". I wish I was joking but that was his actual reasoning behind trashing the platform. That's the part that really annoys me. The majority of them have never even used a Windows Phone and if they have they picked one up, looked at it and put it down. It's always evident in their comments. They range from shortsighted, to stupid, to outright untrue.
    Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get your point. If indeed "their updates break it" (at least, in this individual's experience), isn't that a valid reason for him to complain?
    07-21-2014 09:10 AM
    Like that one lady from.. CNET I think? Anyways, she made an all professional seeming review about some Lumia while she didnt have a clue about half the basic features of the phone. Luckily she "moved on" somewhere else, I hope she got fired due to all the terrible feedback she got.
    Yeah I forgot her name too, she was reviewing the 1020, after the review I literally felt sorry for her for being so close minded. I don't think she had any other option besides "moving on" lol
    07-21-2014 09:22 AM
    Love the comment
    "2GB RAM will do, its not until we hit 64bit that we need to look at 3-4GB RAM"

Seriously? iPhone 5S... doesn't that only have 1GB RAM? These guys know naff all. This is simply an Android Advert.
    07-21-2014 10:20 AM
    Love the comment
    "2GB RAM will do, its not until we hit 64bit that we need to look at 3-4GB RAM"

Seriously? iPhone 5S... doesn't that only have 1GB RAM? These guys know naff all. This is simply an Android Advert.
    Please explain your last comment.
    07-21-2014 10:27 AM
    The iPhone 5S has a 64bit CPU, and only runs on 1GB RAM. And runs pretty well if you ask me. Maybe android would need more RAM, and it would still lag!! "naff all" is just English slang for nothing.

Its an android Advert cause they mention the M8 quite a few times along with other specific Android devices, in fact they spoke more about Android devices than they did the Lumia 930. Even the bit before aka "the news" was Android focused!
    07-21-2014 10:46 AM
    The iPhone 5S has a 64bit CPU, and only runs on 1GB RAM. And runs pretty well if you ask me. Maybe android would need more RAM, and it would still lag!! "naff all" is just English slang for nothing.

Its an android Advert cause they mention the M8 quite a few times along with other specific Android devices, in fact they spoke more about Android devices than they did the Lumia 930. Even the bit before aka "the news" was Android focused!
    I haven't watched the video (obviously) so I'll take your word for it. I still don't understand why you're unhappy about them saying "2GB will do". Isn't that a positive comment?

Btw, I know I mention this every time, but my 1GB Moto G doesn't lag at all. It's very very fast compared to WP phones at a similar price, or in fact, at any price. Just time a few app start ups. This side by side comparison in the shop was a factor in my choice of it over a Lumia.
    07-21-2014 11:01 AM
    And also memory management in WP sucks. Keeps unloading pages off the browser if you go to Whatsapp/some other app. Or takes longer resume time for Multitasking. Compared to Android. Will the 2GB 1520|1020|930 keep up memory for longer time? and stay alive? Obviouy, the app gap is way too large for anyone to recommend WP. except those who are not app junkies or want a fast OS with minimal lag.
    07-21-2014 11:43 AM
    I haven't watched the video (obviously) so I'll take your word for it. I still don't understand why you're unhappy about them saying "2GB will do". Isn't that a positive comment?

Btw, I know I mention this every time, but my 1GB Moto G doesn't lag at all. It's very very fast compared to WP phones at a similar price, or in fact, at any price. Just time a few app start ups. This side by side comparison in the shop was a factor in my choice of it over a Lumia.
    I'm not unhappy? I'm just commenting they say it wont do for 64bit.

Its more than enough for wp
    07-21-2014 11:44 AM
    I don't remember exactly how it was stated in the video, but assuming thatuxguy's quote is correct, you've got to admit that specifying required RAM capacity to be a function of bit'ness is at least very suspicious.

Being generous, I'd say the statement is too vague to mean anything. If you want to be strict about it, it's just downright wrong.
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-21-2014 11:51 AM
    Microsoft should have stayed with evolving the Nokia 800. Instead the phones kept getting bigger and fatter. The 800 could have grown incremental and lost weight.
    07-21-2014 12:16 PM
    I don't remember exactly how it was stated in the video, but assuming thatuxguy's quote is correct, you've got to admit that specifying required RAM capacity to be a function of bit'ness is at least very suspicious.

Being generous, I'd say the statement is too vague to mean anything. If you want to be strict about it, it's just downright wrong.
    I was actually asking about the claim that the video is an 'Android advert'. You're right. Indeed, moving to a 64 bit processor doesn't increase the RAM requirements (much). You might want a 64 bit processor if you have more than 4GB of RAM or are dealing with very large files (unlikely on a smartphone today), although even then it's not necessary in all cases. Not sure why it's 'suspicious', though - what suspicions does it raise, other than that the reviewers don't have a deep understanding of all the technical details? To the best of my knowledge, there are no 64 bit Android phones today - I'm happy to be corrected if that's not true - so it's hardly promoting Android.
    07-21-2014 12:30 PM
    I was actually asking about the claim that the video is an 'Android advert'. You're right. Indeed, moving to a 64 bit processor doesn't increase the RAM requirements (much). You might want a 64 bit processor if you have more than 4GB of RAM or are dealing with very large files (unlikely on a smartphone today), although even then it's not necessary in all cases. Not sure why it's 'suspicious', though - what suspicions does it raise, other than that the reviewers don't have a deep understanding of all the technical details? To the best of my knowledge, there are no 64 bit Android phones today - I'm happy to be corrected if that's not true - so it's hardly promoting Android.
    Well, you're not leaving us much choice but to guess what you're asking about, are you? After all, your question was just: "please explain your last comment". Anyway, my point is that whatever you were asking about, the statement itself makes little to no sense, which we apparently all agree on.

Maybe it was an Android advert, I don't know. If it was, it was pretty bad, as it probably didn't make a single person in the world want to go out and buy an Android device. I suspect that if confronted, not even the reviewers themselves would be sure about the point they were trying to make with that sentence.

As to your question in regards to what is suspicious, well, you just answered that yourself.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-21-2014 12:44 PM
    Well, you're not leaving us much choice but to guess what you're asking about, are you? After all, your question was just: "please explain your last comment". Anyway, my point is that whatever you were asking about, the statement itself makes little to no sense, which we apparently all agree on.

Maybe it was an Android advert, I don't know. If it was, it was pretty bad, as it probably didn't make a single person in the world want to go out and buy an Android device. I suspect that if confronted, not even the reviewers themselves would be sure about the point they were trying to make with that sentence.

As to your question in regards to what is suspicious, well, you just answered that yourself.
    Well, indeed, I could have been clearer about what I meant by 'last comment'. 'Last sentence' would have been better. :-)

I was expecting 'suspicions' to be around some global conspiracy against Windows Phone (see other threads), but I'm happy if that wasn't the case, and in fact I tend to share your suspicions...
    07-21-2014 12:59 PM
    To be fair, that review wasn't "terrible" and I think sums up what a lot of outsiders feel about the WP platform in general.
    Most people on this forums are used to WP missing features/apps/doing things differently but not someone who's used to an android phone.

I've been toying with a Moto G the last few days and there's been quite a few times I've felt, "hey wow, I wish my 820 did that". They weren't any groundbreaking features, but really tiny things like pattern unlock, night mode and so on.

WP8.1 seems awesome to us WPers, but if you look at it objectively, is just playing catch-up to what Android has had for years - pull down notifications, orientation lock, separated volume and so on. There's still quite a bit missing.

Also, like it or not, the fact remains that the 930 is year old tech. How do you expect people to compare it with say an S5 or G3 and sing praises in favour of it?
    broar94 likes this.
    07-21-2014 10:08 PM
    To be fair, that review wasn't "terrible" and I think sums up what a lot of outsiders feel about the WP platform in general.
    Most people on this forums are used to WP missing features/apps/doing things differently but not someone who's used to an android phone.

I've been toying with a Moto G the last few days and there's been quite a few times I've felt, "hey wow, I wish my 820 did that". They weren't any groundbreaking features, but really tiny things like pattern unlock, night mode and so on.

WP8.1 seems awesome to us WPers, but if you look at it objectively, is just playing catch-up to what Android has had for years - pull down notifications, orientation lock, separated volume and so on. There's still quite a bit missing.

Also, like it or not, the fact remains that the 930 is year old tech. How do you expect people to compare it with say an S5 or G3 and sing praises in favour of it?
    Pattern lock is probably the worst security measure ever.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-21-2014 10:21 PM
    It really is sad how pervasive Android and iPhone fanboys are in the industry. They're at every level. My boss and a few of our programmers went for sales force training and they told me one of the presenters went out of his way to trash WP. Like an out of left field trashing, and his gripe was that "their updates break it". I wish I was joking but that was his actual reasoning behind trashing the platform. That's the part that really annoys me. The majority of them have never even used a Windows Phone and if they have they picked one up, looked at it and put it down. It's always evident in their comments. They range from shortsighted, to stupid, to outright untrue.
    My iPad Mini (already sold) was just 1 month old when iOS 7.0.3 was out and jammed the entire settings app.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-21-2014 10:28 PM
    I enjoy using WP, but I sure don't love using it. I use it mainly as a weekend OS. It is really playing catch-up to Android and iOS. I really want a better browser experience! Websites just don't function as well in IE mobile. Gimme webkit or blink engine. Please and thanks.
    07-21-2014 10:36 PM
    How?
    Can you break pattern lock easily?

I think bio metric is worst security measures
    07-21-2014 10:57 PM
    We've been down this road before:
    Each time someone points out a missing feature or missing app in WP, the first defence I see is usually a:

"Ah, but that's a stupid feature to have..."

"You don't really need that feature/app..."

"We don't have that app, but the unofficial alternate we have is better..."

Search through the forums, how many times has the same been said about the notifications bar or the ability to search through text messages? Now that 8.1 finally has these years after android, we expect the world to suddenly fall in love with WP and give it rave reviews?

And for the record, pattern lock is NOT the worst security measure ever...technically face unlock is probably more insecure. But I actually prefer it when at home because it means by 3 year old can't get to my phone (she memories patterns and PINs pretty fast).

My point is, a missing feature is a missing feature whether it's useful for you or not!
    07-22-2014 01:44 AM
    For sure, the quality wont be there, but it's spec talk that the lazy review sites will tout repeatedly even without having one to test. One thing I absolutely hate about review channels is the vs features they make on products without even having used it! It's purely down to speculation of how the device will perform based on it's internals. Trouble is, this gets the average consumer excited and in to making rash purchases on pre-orders.

CPW must hate me by now, as I always exercise my 14day right on distance selling with handsets. I use the phone for a few days, decide if it works for me or not, if not I return it. SIimple! I make my own choice's, I don't rely on reviews!
    thats true,i never follow reviews as well,thats how and why i got my lumias in the first place and it paid off
    all these reviewers and shopkeepers (not wpc,talking about techradar etc) dont know that just googling a phone and getting a feel of one is differen
    07-22-2014 02:54 AM
    How?
    Can you break pattern lock easily?

I think bio metric is worst security measures
    Obvious. The fingerprints on the screen.
    07-22-2014 07:23 AM
    We've been down this road before:
    Each time someone points out a missing feature or missing app in WP, the first defence I see is usually a:

"Ah, but that's a stupid feature to have..."

"You don't really need that feature/app..."

"We don't have that app, but the unofficial alternate we have is better..."

Search through the forums, how many times has the same been said about the notifications bar or the ability to search through text messages? Now that 8.1 finally has these years after android, we expect the world to suddenly fall in love with WP and give it rave reviews?

And for the record, pattern lock is NOT the worst security measure ever...technically face unlock is probably more insecure. But I actually prefer it when at home because it means by 3 year old can't get to my phone (she memories patterns and PINs pretty fast).

My point is, a missing feature is a missing feature whether it's useful for you or not!
    Just take a look at the fingerprints on your screen.
    07-22-2014 07:24 AM
    Obvious. The fingerprints on the screen.
    Sorry,
    But I don't understand what you mean.

Anyway Android can all the things which can do but WP do not have all the features which we Android have.

So, no matter what security features you are talking about, Android already have that one plus more.
    It's users choice what they prefer pattern, face lock, security code etc.

Blame them.
    07-22-2014 08:44 AM
    I think Microsoft should just focused on optimizing WP for every WP device.

I mean come on. Over-heating issues, battery draining apps (of course it's partly developers). Features can wait, I don't mind them releasing new features yearly. If they could just focus on building a solid near perfect experience for WP. Damn, I won't look at Apple again.
    07-22-2014 09:40 AM
97 1234