The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-25-2014 10:27 AM
97 ... 234
tools
    Obvious. The fingerprints on the screen.
    Sorry, But I don't understand what you mean.
    Deriving the correct graphical password pattern (a feature provided by Android) based on screen smudges is quite a bit simpler than deriving the correct PIN from the smudges on a 3x3 number pad. Some studies have had over a 90% success rate.

I hope this helps clear things up.

So, no matter what security features you are talking about, Android already have that one plus more.
    It's users choice what they prefer pattern, face lock, security code etc.Blame them.
    You obviously haven't observed the IT industry for very long. Although you are technically correct, and I wish it were the way you say, that just isn't how people work. Folks will not blame themselves for having used a security feature that Android provides them. They will blame Android, and they do.

It's the exact same thing with Windows, which in terms of security, is pretty much the same as Android. Both prioritize flexibility and features above security-by-default. That means security is largely left as an issue for users to deal with. However, 99.99% of the time it is the user him/herself that provides malware the means to run on a computing system. Rarely are the technical systems themselves solely at fault. Considering that the overwhelming majority of computer users (even more so for smartphone users) are technically illiterate, they will always claim innocence via ignorance. It's just a fact of life. The products reputation will take a hit over time.

Just wanted to add this as a short discourse. Hope we can get back on topic. I won't be answering any questions pertaining to this.
    tgp and anon(8150199) like this.
    07-22-2014 10:13 AM
    Today any blog or website, with a bunch of new stupid kids who think they're journalists, can tell they're media. And SADLY they really are, because create opinions.

We live in a VERY VER VERY lazy society, where people do not search anymore. Where people just accept everything they are reading or listening. Anything said by a blog or a website is taken as true. The only truth.

That's the WP big problem at the first time. Theses garbage sites like Techradar hates Windows Phone. The media in general hates WP because it's full of stupid geeks who think they have the only big truth about everything.

So everbody is FORCED to hate Nokia or Windows Phone as well. People are forced to think they really needs all Android's features or Apple ecosystem. Don't get me wrong: some people really need a Android or a Iphone because Windows Phone don't have all. There are missing features or apps. We know that. It's just a case to ask: Do you really need anything else?

Most people don't. And this new media force them to believe they need it and Windows Phone are pure garbage, with no apps available, with great features are missing, etc etc etc.

And that's why I LOVE Wpcentral. They're special. They practice good journalism, free from personal and nonsense opinions. And when they have on, they make it clear for us!
    Karthik Naik and Roland Stoll like this.
    07-22-2014 10:30 AM
    my dad just took back the icon after 1 day. The reason being the apps. Unlike my brother who two years later can't name the app he wanted and they don't have, my dad had answers lol. He was looking for QuickBooks, PNC, and his local bank. Being a small business owner these are very important and a must so he went back to his iPhone. Which really sucks because had nothing but praise for the phone and OS.
    Funny, my dad just switched from his Lumia 920 to a Nexus 5 also because of the apps (including the one for his local bank :-)
    07-22-2014 02:46 PM
    I personally think most of their 'opinions' are valid enough. At least they give WP a chance instead of the Verge.
    07-22-2014 10:30 PM
    Funny, my dad just switched from his Lumia 920 to a Nexus 5 also because of the apps (including the one for his local bank :-)
    Banking apps are a huge problem for Microsoft. They are usually country and bank specific, so rarely show up in 'best seller' lists, but are very important to many users. None of the banks I use provide a WP app, but all support both iOS and Android. Using the mobile website is often NOT an option, despite what members like to say here, as login in to the website requires the use of a security device which I don't carry with me.
    D M C likes this.
    07-23-2014 01:51 AM
    Banking apps are a huge problem for Microsoft. They are usually country and bank specific, so rarely show up in 'best seller' lists, but are very important to many users. None of the banks I use provide a WP app, but all support both iOS and Android. Using the mobile website is often NOT an option, despite what members like to say here, as login in to the website requires the use of a security device which I don't carry with me.
    Agreed! I use Nationwide and no app available for me. Just means I'll have to remember to check my balance at home rather than on the fly with an app.

Random thought, but I wonder if the phone world will move in the same direction as the game consoles. IIRC, Sony and Microsoft decided that it made sense to allow developers to use the same creation environment, so that games work across both platforms rather than a whole new game needing to be created. Makes perfect commercial sense as the developers get to sell across two systems and generate more revenue.
    rdubmu likes this.
    07-23-2014 02:02 AM
    Why not just use the browser to do your banking? Works fine for me, even before my bank built a mobile site. I often prefer using the browser even when an app is available.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    07-23-2014 02:36 AM
    Why not just use the browser to do your banking? Works fine for me, even before my bank built a mobile site. I often prefer using the browser even when an app is available.
    Did you read my post? I'll quote the relevant part for your convenience:

Using the mobile website is often NOT an option, despite what members like to say here, as login in to the website requires the use of a security device which I don't carry with me.
    This applies to the majority (i.e. more than half) of the banking apps I use, and in many countries applies to all banks.
    07-23-2014 02:45 AM
    This is the other problem with the WP community - the lack of willingness to differentiate between a (tedious?) workaround and a conclusive solution.
    iOS and android both have banking apps. Such apps make it easier to bank on your phone (no need to carry around security devices etc.)

The problem: WP does not have an app for Whatever Bank

Typical "solutions" proposed by the WP community:
    1) Use mobile site on your phone browser
    2) Use randomDev's unofficial app, which is much cooler than the official app
    3) Do your banking at home (it's more safer, yes?)
    4) Switch your bank (why use a bank that has no WP app!?)

While I agree that sometimes we need quick and dirty workarounds, none of these are really "solutions".
    The only real solution is Whatever Bank *makes* said app for WP.

And for most outside people, these are significant impediments to calling WP a mature platform when it doesn't have such "basic" apps.

To a large extent, this can explain negative reviews about the 930 or whatever because ultimately it boils down to,
    "Sure, its a great device, BUT it runs WP8, which still misses all these things...and as long as these are important to you, can't really recommend this phone"

IMO that would be a fair review for a product you spend tons of money on and locked into for two years.
    zipro, anony_mouse and rdubmu like this.
    07-23-2014 03:52 AM
    Since getting my 930 (my first WP) last week, I've been on to Nationwide about an app for WP.

There is already a post on their website (below) with nearly 17,000 "votes" which is bound to keep growing. I've also tweeted them and got the usual "nothing just yet but we'll continue to monitor" response, and I have spoken briefly with my local branch manager who has agreed to note this to head office. It all helps I suppose. Most other UK banks including Barclays, Lloyds, TSB, Halifax and Natwest all have WP apps which leaves only Nationwide and a couple of others left.

Please spare 5 seconds by clicking "Agree" in the below link to hopefully push Nationwide further along to develop of a WP app. Thanks!

Windows Phone/ Windows 8 app - Your Nationwide

Tom
    amdybg40 and Rodrigo Mendes like this.
    07-23-2014 04:11 AM
    Please spare 5 seconds by clicking "Agree" in the below link to hopefully push Nationwide further along to develop of a WP app. Thanks!

Windows Phone/ Windows 8 app - Your Nationwide

Tom
    Please only do so if you bank with Nationwide (in the UK) and would actually use this app. Otherwise these polls become pointless and will be ignored.
    07-23-2014 05:05 AM
    This is the other problem with the WP community - the lack of willingness to differentiate between a (tedious?) workaround and a conclusive solution.
    I think I mentioned pretty clearly that for me it's not a (tedious?) workaround, but often a superior experience over using a dedicated app. For you it may be different, but I know I'm not the only one. There's nothing wrong with either opinion, or with sharing it. Certainly the ideal scenario would be the option to choose between a dedicated app or using a browser.
    07-23-2014 11:45 AM
    I think I mentioned pretty clearly that for me it's not a (tedious?) workaround, but often a superior experience over using a dedicated app. For you it may be different, but I know I'm not the only one. There's nothing wrong with either opinion, or with sharing it. Certainly the ideal scenario would be the option to choose between a dedicated app or using a browser.
    Perhaps that depends on the bank. With nationwide app, 3 digits and you are in. Website,10 digit passcode followed by memorable word, followed by 3 digit code. I'd rather have the app
    Tom87 likes this.
    07-24-2014 01:04 AM
    Perhaps that depends on the bank. With nationwide app, 3 digits and you are in. Website,10 digit passcode followed by memorable word, followed by 3 digit code. I'd rather have the app
    They are there for a reason you know...
    07-24-2014 01:58 AM
    Really? Well I didn't know that.
    Last edited by lionofthesouth; 07-24-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    07-24-2014 02:07 AM
    Another "Alternatives-are-better-than-apps" argument just because WP doesn't have the app.
    I wonder if people would say the same thing if Nationwide or HSBC had a WP app in the first place?
    Tom87 likes this.
    07-24-2014 04:25 AM
    Another "Alternatives-are-better-than-apps" argument just because WP doesn't have the app.
    I wonder if people would say the same thing if Nationwide or HSBC had a WP app in the first place?
    Exactly. A friend of mine who has an Android and banks with Nationwide asks me what I'm moaning about and why not just use the desktop site. I responding by asking him if he uses the android app...Which his answer was obviously a yes...
    07-24-2014 05:05 AM
    Nope.
    My bank has an app for Windows Phone. I do not use it.
    07-24-2014 07:24 AM
    not really,android is about the exact same thing-alternative apps,i havent come across a single android user who hasnt changed their dialer,messaging app,launcher etc(a bit exagerrated :P but yeah very few use the oem stuff)
    07-24-2014 07:41 AM
    For work: ip cam viewer, none of the windows phone ones work, I have also have asked the developer to make one (Robert Choi) also smg app and a couple of others. They are all on android and iOS but are not on Windows phone.

For home: most banking apps. I would have to use IE to access them. I do bank with Wells Fargo and they did release an app but I am missing apps from other banks I do business with.

Also: qsrsoft doesn't work well on mobile IE. The click down menus disappear very quickly while on safari on iOS or chrome on Android it works like it is suppose to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't talk about qsrsoft as I don't use it but two out of three of your complaints simply aren't a problem for me. I use 'IP Camera Viewer' almost daily and it's been flawless for me, even back when I had it on WP7. I bank with NatWest (UK) and I can't fault it, it's great and it's native to WP. So horses for courses, just putting the other side.
    07-24-2014 11:46 AM
    Can't talk about qsrsoft as I don't use it but two out of three of your complaints simply aren't a problem for me. I use 'IP Camera Viewer' almost daily and it's been flawless for me, even back when I had it on WP7. I bank with NatWest (UK) and I can't fault it, it's great and it's native to WP. So horses for courses, just putting the other side.
    Unfortunately remoteally.com does not have a working app that will work until the developer makes an app for it. The IP can viewers that are on windows phone simply do not work.

As for NatWest, I don't do business with them, so I am not sure of your point, These are the banks I use for work and business:

Banner Bank missing
    B of A yes
    WF yes
    Us bank missing
    Citibank missing
    Discover missing
    Scott trade missing
    Amex missing

I could go on and on but this only 2 of the banks and investments I do work with are not available. The app issue is real.

Also there is no SMG APP, I use for work plus a few others. It isn't the amount of apps that is the issue, it is specific apps that are missing. If you read up in the thread, somebody had a fix for qsrsoft by having a long press to get the long drop down boxes to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rdubmu; 07-24-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more details
    07-24-2014 12:05 PM
    I upgraded my iPad to version 7 IOS. It took several hours to upgrade and then 2 hours to get everything running again. Upgraded calendar is lousy and everything works slower. Have warned everyone off doing the same.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-25-2014 10:27 AM
97 ... 234