Terrible review from TechRadar

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Banking apps are a huge problem for Microsoft. They are usually country and bank specific, so rarely show up in 'best seller' lists, but are very important to many users. None of the banks I use provide a WP app, but all support both iOS and Android. Using the mobile website is often NOT an option, despite what members like to say here, as login in to the website requires the use of a security device which I don't carry with me.

Agreed! I use Nationwide and no app available for me. Just means I'll have to remember to check my balance at home rather than on the fly with an app.

Random thought, but I wonder if the phone world will move in the same direction as the game consoles. IIRC, Sony and Microsoft decided that it made sense to allow developers to use the same creation environment, so that games work across both platforms rather than a whole new game needing to be created. Makes perfect commercial sense as the developers get to sell across two systems and generate more revenue.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Why not just use the browser to do your banking? Works fine for me, even before my bank built a mobile site. I often prefer using the browser even when an app is available.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why not just use the browser to do your banking? Works fine for me, even before my bank built a mobile site. I often prefer using the browser even when an app is available.

Did you read my post? I'll quote the relevant part for your convenience:

Using the mobile website is often NOT an option, despite what members like to say here, as login in to the website requires the use of a security device which I don't carry with me.

This applies to the majority (i.e. more than half) of the banking apps I use, and in many countries applies to all banks.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

This is the other problem with the WP community - the lack of willingness to differentiate between a (tedious?) workaround and a conclusive solution.
iOS and android both have banking apps. Such apps make it easier to bank on your phone (no need to carry around security devices etc.)

The problem: WP does not have an app for Whatever Bank

Typical "solutions" proposed by the WP community:
1) Use mobile site on your phone browser
2) Use randomDev's unofficial app, which is much cooler than the official app
3) Do your banking at home (it's more safer, yes?)
4) Switch your bank (why use a bank that has no WP app!?)

While I agree that sometimes we need quick and dirty workarounds, none of these are really "solutions".
The only real solution is Whatever Bank *makes* said app for WP.

And for most outside people, these are significant impediments to calling WP a mature platform when it doesn't have such "basic" apps.

To a large extent, this can explain negative reviews about the 930 or whatever because ultimately it boils down to,
"Sure, its a great device, BUT it runs WP8, which still misses all these things...and as long as these are important to you, can't really recommend this phone"

IMO that would be a fair review for a product you spend tons of money on and locked into for two years.

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Since getting my 930 (my first WP) last week, I've been on to Nationwide about an app for WP.

There is already a post on their website (below) with nearly 17,000 "votes" which is bound to keep growing. I've also tweeted them and got the usual "nothing just yet but we'll continue to monitor" response, and I have spoken briefly with my local branch manager who has agreed to note this to head office. It all helps I suppose. Most other UK banks including Barclays, Lloyds, TSB, Halifax and Natwest all have WP apps which leaves only Nationwide and a couple of others left.

Please spare 5 seconds by clicking "Agree" in the below link to hopefully push Nationwide further along to develop of a WP app. Thanks!

Windows Phone/ Windows 8 app - Your Nationwide

Tom

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the other problem with the WP community - the lack of willingness to differentiate between a (tedious?) workaround and a conclusive solution.

I think I mentioned pretty clearly that for me it's not a (tedious?) workaround, but often a superior experience over using a dedicated app. For you it may be different, but I know I'm not the only one. There's nothing wrong with either opinion, or with sharing it. Certainly the ideal scenario would be the option to choose between a dedicated app or using a browser.

lionofthesouth

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I think I mentioned pretty clearly that for me it's not a (tedious?) workaround, but often a superior experience over using a dedicated app. For you it may be different, but I know I'm not the only one. There's nothing wrong with either opinion, or with sharing it. Certainly the ideal scenario would be the option to choose between a dedicated app or using a browser.
Perhaps that depends on the bank. With nationwide app, 3 digits and you are in. Website,10 digit passcode followed by memorable word, followed by 3 digit code. I'd rather have the app

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Another "Alternatives-are-better-than-apps" argument just because WP doesn't have the app.
I wonder if people would say the same thing if Nationwide or HSBC had a WP app in the first place?

Exactly. A friend of mine who has an Android and banks with Nationwide asks me what I'm moaning about and why not just use the desktop site. I responding by asking him if he uses the android app...Which his answer was obviously a yes...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Another "Alternatives-are-better-than-apps" argument just because WP doesn't have the app.
I wonder if people would say the same thing if Nationwide or HSBC had a WP app in the first place?

not really,android is about the exact same thing-alternative apps,i havent come across a single android user who hasnt changed their dialer,messaging app,launcher etc(a bit exagerrated :p but yeah very few use the oem stuff)

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
For work: ip cam viewer, none of the windows phone ones work, I have also have asked the developer to make one (Robert Choi) also smg app and a couple of others. They are all on android and iOS but are not on Windows phone.

For home: most banking apps. I would have to use IE to access them. I do bank with Wells Fargo and they did release an app but I am missing apps from other banks I do business with.

Also: qsrsoft doesn't work well on mobile IE. The click down menus disappear very quickly while on safari on iOS or chrome on Android it works like it is suppose to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't talk about qsrsoft as I don't use it but two out of three of your complaints simply aren't a problem for me. I use 'IP Camera Viewer' almost daily and it's been flawless for me, even back when I had it on WP7. I bank with NatWest (UK) and I can't fault it, it's great and it's native to WP. So horses for courses, just putting the other side.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Can't talk about qsrsoft as I don't use it but two out of three of your complaints simply aren't a problem for me. I use 'IP Camera Viewer' almost daily and it's been flawless for me, even back when I had it on WP7. I bank with NatWest (UK) and I can't fault it, it's great and it's native to WP. So horses for courses, just putting the other side.

Unfortunately remoteally.com does not have a working app that will work until the developer makes an app for it. The IP can viewers that are on windows phone simply do not work.

As for NatWest, I don't do business with them, so I am not sure of your point, These are the banks I use for work and business:

Banner Bank missing
B of A yes
WF yes
Us bank missing
Citibank missing
Discover missing
Scott trade missing
Amex missing

I could go on and on but this only 2 of the banks and investments I do work with are not available. The app issue is real.

Also there is no SMG APP, I use for work plus a few others. It isn't the amount of apps that is the issue, it is specific apps that are missing. If you read up in the thread, somebody had a fix for qsrsoft by having a long press to get the long drop down boxes to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kevin747

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded my iPad to version 7 IOS. It took several hours to upgrade and then 2 hours to get everything running again. Upgraded calendar is lousy and everything works slower. Have warned everyone off doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers