07-28-2014 06:05 AM
83 1234
tools
    Hi all
    Well i really love Windows o/s, the smoothness is second to none so please talk me into buying a 930 lol

Over the years i have had a few different windows phones and my last was a lumia 1520 but i had to get rid of it within 1 week as no notifications and no keyboard swype killed it for me (also the screen registering swipes as taps etc)
    I said to myself at the time if this had notifications and swype i could ditch android for good!
    Android is ok but just too messy and overly complicated in my opinion, The app store is great obviously but after the initial wow of so many apps i just end up having a small handful that i use anyway!
    iPhone well been there done that, Just not my thing although iPads are great for easy surfing in bed etc!

Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
    Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
    grey blacks
    bad viewing angle
    gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
    not the best battery life
    sluggish keyboard
    rattly volume buttons
    etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?
    You have a list of needs right? if no then doesn't matter what you get on whatever platform. If you have a list then look at all 3 platforms and tick off that list from OS perspective then Apps then Hardware. You will be confident in YOUR choice. Asking others will only get you their own skewed opinions and you may end up with something that is completely inappropriate for your life and needs.

My own thoughts on 930? bah its 12 month old technology and from Nokia whom MS are integrating and will have a different philosophy with their own devices which will be out next year, anything out this year is also Nokia pipeline, wont be amazing MS tech and tight OS integration. But hey whatever makes you PRODUCTIVE wins whatever that device is.
    07-20-2014 04:50 PM
    North West England, O2 Network
    07-20-2014 05:22 PM
    Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
    Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
    grey blacks
    bad viewing angle
    gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
    not the best battery life
    sluggish keyboard
    rattly volume buttons
    etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?
    I'm not talking you into buying it because honestly I have one and I'm not yet sure if I won't return to the 920.
    HOWEVER,I should like to comment with my experience, regarding the list of "problems" you wrote.

Screen purple tint -> This is definitely there and it's in ALL phones. I've checked a few today in different stores and they all had the same problem.

grey blacks -> Not sure what this is supposed to be but the blacks on my 930 are black. And where the menus should be dark grey, they are dark grey.

bad viewing angle -> This is something that really gets on my nerves and that's why I never read comments on Sony's phones. Do you happen to look at the phone from the side? No, you do not. The viewing angles on the 930 are good. Honestly, I would even appreciate it they weren't that good as the person next to me has no business in seeing what I'm doing on my phone.

gets so hot you can fry an egg on it -> true though this only happened to me ONCE and it was during the process of restoring from a back-up. It gets a bit warm, yes, but all Lumias do.

not the best battery life -> This is true. I'm getting the exact same battery life I got on the 920.

sluggish keyboard -> have no problems here and the keyboard is not sluggish at all.

rattly volume buttons -> not my unit. The buttons are tight and firm.

Also, the camera is a huge disappointment, SPECIALLY in low light. If you take a lot of photos in poorly lit conditions, avoid the 930. It's not that the photos don't get lit...it's that the algorithms are all messed up and the pictures come out awfully grainy and with the colours a bit distorted. This is solved via firmware, though. Sony had the exact same problem with the Z1 upon launch and they fixed it pretty quickly. However you may want to take into consideration you're not dealing with Sony here but Microsoft...and Microsoft is not known for being particularly fast, specially when it comes to updating stuff.
    07-20-2014 07:18 PM
    I love my Lumia 930(Green)
    Ive had so far zero of the issues you have listed.
    Battery life is great it has been 1 day and 15 hours since the last time i charged my phone and its at 20% as i am posting.
    I have done a lot of twitter,mytube,whatsapp,camera SMS, Ringing done. i would say medium usage i didn't game on it as i only game on my PC at home.
    I love the 5" screen and the OLED. and finally 32 GB instead of the 16GB (Lumia 925)
    07-20-2014 07:26 PM
    It's really bizzaire but since I went on 8.1 on my 1520 the battery was draining. Now after a week I am getting around 8 hours heavy usage on it. Don't play games but always on the net. And it seems NFC is making my battery last longer for some strange reason. Heat issues if playing demanding games like FIFA or GTA but games like angry birds....nope...no heat. Now have swipe keyboard and notification. Do your self a favour and get the Lumia from Littlewoods or Woolworths online. Buy now pay in 12 months time with no interest if you pay it off in a year. Also got a magnetic case of eBay with a leather look that protects front and back of phone for under five pounds
    07-20-2014 07:36 PM
    The reports of poor photo quality in low light nixes the 930 for me.
    07-20-2014 07:54 PM
    My answer to your concerns are written point by point, I have had it for 4 days now:

Screen purple tint - yes slightly purplish, especially when compared to my old, certainly not a problem at all coz it's not THAT purplish. I think some others had worse ones than mine so I am probably lucky (or they are unlucky). I think it's probably due to the colours being so vibrant.

grey blacks - are you kidding me? the black is blacker than my 920 and I think cannot be more black than that to be honest.

bad viewing angle - again, are you kidding me? it's so eye popping and vibrant and the viewing angles are better than my 920.

gets so hot you can fry an egg on it - yes for others, but again, I am really lucky I think coz mine hardly get hot. My old 920 was really hot when using GPS navigation for more than half hour but so far my 930 has been used on many occasions to navigate and it didn't get uncomfortable at all. Out of paranoia, I find myself trying to find out whether it's hot or not (which really means it is NOT noticeably hotter in most occasions).

not the best battery life - if your device gets hot, then somethings wrong with the battery. My battery life is AMAZING. I am experimenting with the battery in many ways as we speak and will post it up in my thread that I created to review the device. Suffice to say that so far with 3g/4g, bluetooth, wifi, NFC enabled the whole day and used it to browse for ~2 hours or more a day and it's still running with more than enough battery at the end of the day. Can iPhone or android do that? I doubt.

sluggish keyboard - not really the keyboard in my opinion, more of the screen sensitivitiy maybe? it's slightly sluggish on double tap to wake, otherwise, i had no problem swiping away on the keyboard. The swiping is at least on par with Swype on Android. At least on par.

rattly volume buttons - not my experience. Mine is perfect. The only rattly bit will be the camera button, but i think it's because the camera button is a two level button (as in press slightly for focus, press all the way for capture).

Tell me if there are any other issues you are worried about and I might be able to address them.
    07-21-2014 01:35 AM
    Thanks all
    Think i will just go ahead and order one from Amazon UK when in stock on Monday.
    The good thing with Amazon is super easy returns should there be a problem.
    On a side note as this is essentially a Lumia Icon i take it Lumia icon cases will fit it perfectly? really like the Incipio DualPro Case for Nokia Lumia Icon :)

@Coreldan i know what your mean when you say "You will never get yourself a new phone if you always skip out on buying based on complaints on forums"
    But allot of people simply don't notice problems even though they do exist (wish i was a bit more like that myself lol)
    After buying an iPhone 4 outright on release a few years ago it put me right of buying brand new phones.. That thing was terrible with the worst antenna issues ever, All iPhone 4's had the problem but look how many million they sold and the amount of people that didn't complain about poor signal or completely cutting the signal off just by holding it and bridging the gap on the antenna.

Cheers all
    James
    I would have said don't buy one. I'm very disappointed with mine. Only because the camera is totally rubbish in low light conditions compared to the 920. The rest of the phone is ok, but I wish I never swapped my 920 for this because it's only a tiny improvement and a bigger screen. It's not faster, menus still lags etc. The AMOLED screen gets a little eye straining to stare at some times.

As for the antennas, the gaps are at the top and the bottom where the phone is not held, so there is nothing to worry about there. I would not buy a case for this, it will hold in the heat and probably ruin the battery. The case will probably melt if you used Waze GPS lol
    07-21-2014 03:42 AM
    Love the phone. My only problem is the lack of an SD card slot
    07-21-2014 03:55 AM
    the things I can agree with is the purple tint which can be fixed with a firmware update from Nokia and the overheating issue also is a problem, that will likely be fixed with a firmware update too.

As for everything else, including battery life, its excellent.
    07-21-2014 04:46 AM
    the things I can agree with is the purple tint which can be fixed with a firmware update from Nokia and the overheating issue also is a problem, that will likely be fixed with a firmware update too.

As for everything else, including battery life, its excellent.
    The purple tint can be fixed in the settings. Settings > Display > Colour Profile > adjust. Then slide the middle slider all the way to the left. Done.
    07-21-2014 06:21 AM
    Thanks, Surely that's software related as its not consistent from boot menu to os loaded?
    lol this argument goes all the way back to the n8 purple tint n8 purple tint - Bing

for me it was a big issue and it sounds very similar to what I am hearing about the 930 screen but at least you can cure it a bit with Lumia screen profile which obviously Symbian and the n8 never had

the n8 never received a firmware update to fix the screen despite massive reports from all over the world so don't hold tight on a firmware fix as it could be a bad quality screen that has problems displaying the right amount of light to pixels on low power mode hence the purple tint being more obvious on the sort of screens that would require less power (like when the screen dims) perhaps this is another reason for no glance as the n8 showed the purple problem on the glance type sleep screen the most and in the end to hide the problem nokia changed the standby clock so it didn't show up so bad ...... perhaps that's me being sceptical but the way they treated the n8 purple tint problem left a bad taste in my mouth :-/

it seems like a badly calibrated screen to me that has problems displaying the grey scale properly and instead makes some shades of grey purple and it varies how bad from phone to phone and after the n8 saga that plagued the nokia discussion forums , daily mobile , nokia users forums etc I thought nokia had learnt about the amoled tech and this purple tint was a thing of the past :-/

lets hope it gets fixed for you 930 users though , if it makes you feel any better I hear the 900 had this problem at launch and nokia updated the firmware to fix the issue so maybe its more easily fixed on windows phone then Symbian phones ;-)
    Last edited by buxz777; 07-21-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    07-21-2014 06:34 AM
    My N8 never had the purple tint, but I also recall that it seemed like quite a widespread problem.

I was even actively visiting GSMArena at the time and some people said I was just a blind Nokia fanboy that denied any problems in my phone cos I didnt want to admit them, but I really just had zero problems with the phone. I never denied the existance of those problems in general though :P
    07-21-2014 06:52 AM

Also, the camera is a huge disappointment, SPECIALLY in low light. If you take a lot of photos in poorly lit conditions, avoid the 930. It's not that the photos don't get lit...it's that the algorithms are all messed up and the pictures come out awfully grainy and with the colours a bit distorted.
    This is my biggest concern.. low light and no-flash photography...... I now have doubts about getting a 930.
    Arrgh!!

[Using a 920, waiting for 8.1/Cyan to hit my country]
    07-21-2014 07:02 AM
    looking at phones these days, people are very impressed by numbers, but they sometimes forget some of the technologies that go hand in hand with the numbers, and ill give some example.

People might look at a 930 and say well, its a 1080p display like the HTC m8, or a 20mp like the sony Z1/2. and say well the other have more features they must be better.

But what they fail to see, is that the Nokia 1080p diplay has clear black technology, and i can swear that when i had my Lumia 800, i used to see floating words when im in bed at night, because the blacks are sooo black you cant see them nor the phone. then when you are out in the sun, the unti-reflectant in the screen is amazing, the sunlight readability is way beyond others.

And when it comes to the 20mp shooter, Zeiss is not just a normal lens, they are one of the best. and they are very expensive, and they add up very well to the overall experience.

The microphones are not just normal mics. they can record two levels of sound at once giving a wider range, which leads to less noise, and if you want to see it in real. just ask someone with a competitor product to send you a voice recording over whatsapp. maybe a song with some bass. and then send him one from you Nokia and notice the astonishing difference.

Numbers are cool. but they are only half the story.

Oh, BTW ill be a 930 owner within a week, inshalla.
    07-21-2014 07:08 AM
    And if you live in a place like Finland where half the year is "gloves on"-weather, high sensitivity touch is really valuable. And no, the solution to achieve that on "run of the mill Android phone #352135" is not to put some conductive goo stuff on your gloves :D
    07-21-2014 07:11 AM
    Remember that people will always talk up about the bad stuff, but when something is good you won't hear about it...this principle doesn't just apply to phones!

I've got a Lumia 930 and an iPhone5S as a work phone, I used to have an iPhone (3G and a 4) for about 4 years overall and a Samsung Galaxy S3 for 2 years.

Overall I'm satisfied...not over joyed...but satisfied with the 930 and Windows Phone. I find the OS is smooth and very fast - definitely the fastest out of all 4 major mobile OS's - and the phone feels nice to hold, albeit a bit chunky and feels well built.

To talk about the negatives I find in WP -

1. Windows Phone can be a bit buggy. Xbox Music randomly closes when selecting or changing songs for example, this also happens with all apps - random closes.

2. Browsing the web is horrible in Internet Explorer, presumably because many sites were not heavily tested and optimised for Microsoft's mobile OS browser. I normally fall back to my iPhone if I need to do something important/urgent. Example - try positing a new discussion or reply on the Microsoft Community site, it's more difficult that it should be. It also doesn't play nice with some mobile versions of sites like it will reload the whole page to refresh an advert...argh%"#!!!

3. I'd like more privacy options to hide notifications from LiveTiles (i.e. just show a message is there, rather than who it's from and what it says etc.).

4. I miss Google Maps, but Nokia Here is a good alternative.

5. The keyboard is tricky. I've had the 930 for 4 days now and I still send messages by accident. It doesn't auto-capitalise very well like iOS and it's REALLY hard to position the cursor where you want to type. Copy and Pasting is also difficult because the cursor issue.

6. Some personal annoyances. For example you can Bing search for something using the Search soft key at the bottom of the phone, but you can't open up the results in a separate tab so you can line up multiple results for reading in Internet Explorer. When you select one it takes you to that site straight away.

On the phone -

1. The back creaks when you press the polycarbonate near the camera lens.

2. The camera is bad at capturing motion images (ends up being blurry).

3. Battery life could be better, it lasts the day at the moment but as we all know...batteries get worse over time. It's better than my Samsung S3, but the 5S will just about go 48 hours despite being used more than my 930 for e-mails, push notifications and phone calls. The 930 has the definition of an "average" battery life for a modern smartphone.

4. Loud speaker is weak, especially for the alarm which has a fixed volume and I worry it will struggle to wake me up if I'm deep asleep. Again here I'd use my iPhone alarm in combination.

Overall though it is a great phone, and I have all the apps I need. If I didn't have my work iPhone it wouldn't be that much of an issue except browsing the web.
    Last edited by Ignition1; 07-21-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    thatuxguy and Great deal like this.
    07-21-2014 07:34 AM
    I'll chime in here. I've had my Nokia Lumia Icon for 5 months.

Screen purple tint - Nope.
    grey blacks - Nope - black is black unless the sun mode is activated.
    bad viewing angle - Nope, great viewing angles.
    gets so hot you can fry an egg on it - This is true, but I tend to think it's true for any high powered device with a metal exterior.
    not the best battery life - True, but it gets better - and the wireless qi charging makes up for it in my case because I can just keep it on the charger through most of the day anyway.
    sluggish keyboard - Not at all, I love this keyboard.
    rattly volume buttons - Nope, they feel great.

I'm glad you decided to take the dive. The device is great. The loudest voice you'll hear in any device forum is that of complaint. It's human.
    07-21-2014 09:14 AM
    It's interesting that Nokia/MS didn't get the tint clue when the Icon was released. This tint problem plagued my first two Icons. I returned them. Purple tint at the top, yellowish at the bottom. This was a problem months ago when the Icon was released. People complained about it on the Nokia Support site. So much for QC.

Other than that, no problems whatsoever with the one I have now. The gray blacks only happen in bright sunlight. No battery life problems. It gets hot only with some games. Keyboard is fantastic. No rattles.
    07-21-2014 09:40 AM
    grey blacks
    impossible. it's an amoled screen, black colour means that the pixels are turned off.
    No, that's wrong. It's not impossible. The software or hardware could be choosing to display grey rather than black. This kind of problem is actually quite common, for (at least) a couple of reasons...
    - the phone will translate between the colour representations used by file formats, the OS, graphics hardware and the display itself (sometimes taking into account user settings). This may cause "black" not to be rendered as black in some circumstances.
    - don't assume UI designers chose to use black. I've worked with designers who have no understanding of how their designs are actually rendered on screen, and this can be a major source of problems and performance issues.
    07-21-2014 10:08 AM
    OK here's what it looks like, I've put them on another thread since it's more specific: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post2652848
    For those who seem to misunderstand the black issue, I'm quoting my post. It's there, visible, and annoying as hell. And I'm not the only one as you can see on the relevant thread.
    07-21-2014 10:47 AM
    I got the 930, 1520 and iPhone 5s and am switching every day depending on my mood.
    All I can say is that the 5s is a fine piece of hardware+software and I find myself switching back to the 5s quite a lot. Perhaps its the 1-hand-operating size of the 5s thats most important to me.

The 930 and WP 8.1 are great, but still not up when it comes to hardware and software compared to IOS.
    The 1520 is huge but has a SD-card slot which is of great value.

NEVER drop an unprotected Lumia on concrete...my 930 is pretty damaged and the back cover wont fit like before anylonger. I was lucky that the screen didn't break. This happened to a friend of mine and repair costs are hilarious at Nokia. Got a leather flip case now ;).
    The same happened to my 5s and besides some tiny cuts on the silver frame its all good.

What I really love on the Lumias are the stereo/dolby microphones which a great for taping concerts.

Torn.... :)
    So both you and a friend dropped 930s within days of release and they already know the repair cost. That is really impressive. I also find the iPhone comment interesting since you can't go to any sizeable US city without finding numerous places to repair cracked iPhone screens. I consider them to be nice devices but you happen to have called out what is probably the biggest complaint about iPhones and one I have heard numerous times from those who have them. Oh, how does the back not quite fit on a device which, last time I checked, does not have a removable back?
    07-21-2014 11:04 AM
    All I can talk about is my experience so far so:

I have the Lumia 930, LG G3, Galaxy S5 and IPhone 5s and out of all these phones I have been leaning more towards the Lumia 930. Its the phone I grab every time before going out the door....

I havn't had any purple screen issues with my phone and i think the viewing angles are really good, mine gets hot at times when playing games but so does all my other phones I have and it isn't really any problems. My 930 battery drained quite quick initially however after about 4 charges I am easily getting a full day out of the phone again this isn't a problem as I charge my phones over night anyway, keyboard is really good with the swift style keyboard dont understand the comment about sluggish keyboard!! there is a rattle but I think its the camera sensor IOS just like the 1020 but to be honest its hardly noticeable.

I am really, really chuffed i bought the Lumia 930, I am getting to grips with the camera and to be honest most of the photos I take I am really impressed with, the design is superb and deffo a head turner (if you have the green version like mine or the orange version) it just looks fantastic. I have used plenty of phones in the past and end up selling them as i get bored quite quick but i can honestly say i am really liking this phone, its a keeper......

What do other people think ????

PS the Windows OS is superb also, just a slight lack of Apps but deffo getting better.................:P
    What Windows Phone has that other devices has is this thing I call "style". No other device does what this one does in the way that it does it. With style.
    07-21-2014 11:10 AM
    So both you and a friend dropped 930s within days of release and they already know the repair cost. That is really impressive. I also find the iPhone comment interesting since you can't go to any sizeable US city without finding numerous places to repair cracked iPhone screens. I consider them to be nice devices but you happen to have called out what is probably the biggest complaint about iPhones and one I have heard numerous times from those who have them. Oh, how does the back not quite fit on a device which, last time I checked, does not have a removable back?
    The 930 back cover can be removed quite easily by using fe. a suction cup or whatever they are called. It's not supposed to be user removed and will probably void warranty, but it's not hard to do, thus it probably isnt impossible that what he says is true.

That said, iPhone being more durable cos of that anecdotal example he gave is just bullcrap. The iPhone might fall 10 times to concrete and survive or it might drop once and shatter. Same goes for 930 and every other phone. But sure, some phones are probably more durable by design, but iPhone is most certainly not one of them.
    07-21-2014 11:42 AM
    The 930 back cover can be removed quite easily by using fe. a suction cup or whatever they are called. It's not supposed to be user removed and will probably void warranty, but it's not hard to do, thus it probably isnt impossible that what he says is true.

That said, iPhone being more durable cos of that anecdotal example he gave is just bullcrap. The iPhone might fall 10 times to concrete and survive or it might drop once and shatter. Same goes for 930 and every other phone. But sure, some phones are probably more durable by design, but iPhone is most certainly not one of them.
    Had a 1020 day it came out, dropped from waist height and screen shattered, had iPhone few years ao and sat on it with it in back pocket and shattered. its all relative, its glass and depends on angle, vibrations etc.
    jm4cc likes this.
    07-21-2014 11:55 AM
83 1234