07-28-2014 06:05 AM
83 1234
tools
    I've had Blackberries all the way back to their first in-color model, and I've bought and maintained Iphones and Androids for others and have usually encountered problems. Blackberries had a well deserved reputation for being rock-solid but I never left well enough alone and constantly installed beta OS leaks and was an early porter-over of Android apps. Constantly fiddling with a device can push its limits and create problems where none exist for the overwhelming majority of non-tweaking users. This website, IMHO, brings together a lot of people who like to fool around with their devices and to try and get pre-release versions of the OS and apps and we like to talk and crank and brainstorm about work-arounds, etc. The net result of this is a perhaps faulty impression that all of the devices we talk about are riddled with defects, when they are not.

In my experience, WP's are very stable, solid devices. I was surprised that my daughter bought a low-end WP on her own, and while she has a history of being brutal on her previous devices, (iPhones and Androids) she really hasn't complained at all about it. No manufacturer is perfect, and I did have to send back a 1520 with a defective camera, but the build quality has been fine. I'm sure others have answered, but your list of complaints have largely been addressed or exaggerated (in the sense that they are not widespread). Battery life and heating was a problem early on, but has been corrected and is now terrific on both counts. The keyboard is anything but sluggish. I don't know from colors and I certainly don't have any complaints whatsoever about the screen/display which is spectacular. Viewing angle is limited only by genetics.
    jm4cc likes this.
    07-21-2014 11:57 AM
    Same with my 520. Dropped twice at chest height face first. It was one of them drops that exploded the phone in 3 directions...screen, back cover and battery came apart. But yet not one scratch or dent. Then one day, sat on the toilet it fell out at a low level and shattered the screen. Not at all gutted...needed a valid reason to buy a Lumia 1520 and now got one in a protective case lol
    07-21-2014 12:02 PM
    Developed this awesome game for my windows 8 phone..... Loving it.... U guys check it out too...
    Math Maniac | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Looks fantastic, thanks!!!!
    07-21-2014 12:56 PM
    My black 930 arrived today.... my first and very early impressions are good, it does have the purple hue issue but when the colour profile is adjusted it looks fine.. the overall ui seems to be a lot snappier than the 925 on dev preview that I've been using, also web browsing seems faster and there is a world of difference when U play a graphics hungry game like asphalt 8, even games like hillclimb racing the whole experience seems more fluid...,
    The camera in auto mode does seem to struggle a little with low light but when put in manual mode is better than the 925,
    The handset feels a bit unwieldy compared to my 925 as the straight edges seem harder to grip... phone is absolutely no hotter than my 925 Or 800,
    Battery seems the same as 925 but ill be putting that to the test over the next few days,
    I feel the volume and power switches protrude a little bit too much but won't matter when cover goes on.
    All said I'm happy with it and feel its well made and worthy of flagship status..... go on get one U won't be disappointed.....
    jm4cc likes this.
    07-21-2014 01:54 PM
    Well...............
    My black Lumia 930 from amazon is:

---
    Dispatching now
    Delivery estimate: Wednesday, 23 July 2014
    Nokia Lumia 930 5 inch Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    ---

Will let you all know how it goes :)
    Stephen Lynam likes this.
    07-21-2014 03:02 PM
    Well...............
    My black Lumia 930 from amazon is:

---
    Dispatching now
    Delivery estimate: Wednesday, 23 July 2014
    Nokia Lumia 930 5 inch Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    ---

Will let you all know how it goes :)
    Congratulations! Please let us know:)
    Peter Radev and jm4cc like this.
    07-22-2014 03:25 AM
    My black 930 arrived today.... my first and very early impressions are good, it does have the purple hue issue but when the colour profile is adjusted it looks fine.. the overall ui seems to be a lot snappier than the 925 on dev preview that I've been using, also web browsing seems faster and there is a world of difference when U play a graphics hungry game like asphalt 8, even games like hillclimb racing the whole experience seems more fluid...,
    The camera in auto mode does seem to struggle a little with low light but when put in manual mode is better than the 925,
    The handset feels a bit unwieldy compared to my 925 as the straight edges seem harder to grip... phone is absolutely no hotter than my 925 Or 800,
    Battery seems the same as 925 but ill be putting that to the test over the next few days,
    I feel the volume and power switches protrude a little bit too much but won't matter when cover goes on.
    All said I'm happy with it and feel its well made and worthy of flagship status..... go on get one U won't be disappointed.....
    Maybe my phone is the good one, or I'm lucky or something, but I cannot see any purple hue. Is there a way of showing it up?
    07-22-2014 04:48 AM
    Ive told my gf not to bother with the 930. Its just not much of a step up from the 920 and the camera is worse in darker situations. Megapixels don't mean jack. I'm just using the Wpcentral app right now and the bottom right corner is very hot. Oh yea and no glance, I didn't think I would miss it from my old 920 but I do.
    SammyD97 likes this.
    07-22-2014 11:05 AM
    Hi all
    Well i really love Windows o/s, the smoothness is second to none so please talk me into buying a 930 lol

Over the years i have had a few different windows phones and my last was a lumia 1520 but i had to get rid of it within 1 week as no notifications and no keyboard swype killed it for me (also the screen registering swipes as taps etc)
    I said to myself at the time if this had notifications and swype i could ditch android for good!
    Android is ok but just too messy and overly complicated in my opinion, The app store is great obviously but after the initial wow of so many apps i just end up having a small handful that i use anyway!
    iPhone well been there done that, Just not my thing although iPads are great for easy surfing in bed etc!

Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
    Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
    grey blacks
    bad viewing angle
    gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
    not the best battery life
    sluggish keyboard
    rattly volume buttons
    etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?
    Unfortunately, mine has every one of these issues except for the heat thing. It gets warm, but not hot. Keyboard is ok for me but autocorrect is terribly slow and thus unusable (this is probably a WP8.1 issue, though).

The screen just plain sucks on mine - lousy viewing angles, purple tint, unsharp while scrolling.

That said - I've had the Galaxy S5 and compared to that one (which is extremely slow), I still prefer the 930. The HTC M8 is a much better device, though, but I've grown tired of Google / Android. I'll be switching to the iPhone 6 if Microsoft isn't able to fix the issues.
    07-22-2014 02:42 PM
    I would have said go for the 1020.
    07-23-2014 02:03 AM
    Unfortunately, mine has every one of these issues except for the heat thing. It gets warm, but not hot. Keyboard is ok for me but autocorrect is terribly slow and thus unusable (this is probably a WP8.1 issue, though).

The screen just plain sucks on mine - lousy viewing angles, purple tint, unsharp while scrolling.

That said - I've had the Galaxy S5 and compared to that one (which is extremely slow), I still prefer the 930. The HTC M8 is a much better device, though, but I've grown tired of Google / Android. I'll be switching to the iPhone 6 if Microsoft isn't able to fix the issues.
    I've just ordered the Galaxy S5 with the new QHD screen, 805 processor and 3GB ram, so be interesting to see how that compares to the stock version.
    07-23-2014 02:06 AM
    I've just ordered the Galaxy S5 with the new QHD screen, 805 processor and 3GB ram, so be interesting to see how that compares to the stock version.
    I added a turbo into my 930 and now it goes 200 mph. Seriously though, you can add anything to a Galaxy and it will still fall apart. And since mobile OSs are small and apps don't use much RAM, most of that 3GB RAM will stay empty all it's life. Hell, this laptop which I'm supposed to be working on runs Windows 7 Ultimate with Office 2013 and only has 2GB RAM and a dual core AMD Turion 2.1Ghz.

People don't know anything about technology, they just buy it because the advert says it has more RAM and a better CPU.
    07-23-2014 02:15 AM
    I added a turbo into my 930 and now it goes 200 mph. Seriously though, you can add anything to a Galaxy and it will still fall apart. And since mobile OSs are small and apps don't use much RAM, most of that 3GB RAM will stay empty all it's life. Hell, this laptop which I'm supposed to be working on runs Windows 7 Ultimate with Office 2013 and only has 2GB RAM and a dual core AMD Turion 2.1Ghz.

People don't know anything about technology, they just buy it because the advert says it has more RAM and a better CPU.
    No. Access to storage is slow - the hard disk on the computer is very slow, and flash memory is still quite slow compared to RAM. The 'empty RAM' (i.e. not used by apps) on your PC and your phone is used by the OS as a disk cache, which can dramatically improve performance.

To be fair, I'm not sure 3GB is really necessary in a smart phone yet, but it will still bring some benefits and of course it makes the phone more future proof. However, 2GB is pretty tight for a modern desktop OS and apps. My work laptop with a fresh Windows 7 install and 4GB RAM struggles badly with Outlook, Office and a couple of web browsers running.
    amdybg40 likes this.
    07-23-2014 02:51 AM

Well, I'll let you know what the processing times are like between pictures with the camera, as with the wasted extra RAM, i'm sure it wont make any difference!

In all fairness, I've never had a phone fall apart on me sure i've chipped a few on dropping them, but never totaled one, so I don't see why the S5 should fall apart on me?
    07-23-2014 06:18 AM
    Well, I'll let you know what the processing times are like between pictures with the camera, as with the wasted extra RAM, i'm sure it wont make any difference!
    Well, he's right that extra RAM capacity will make zero difference. Other things might..

The 'empty RAM' (i.e. not used by apps) on your PC and your phone is used by the OS as a disk cache, which can dramatically improve performance.
    That RAM on your smartphone is used as a disk cache is incorrect. The OS simply holds as many running processes in memory as it possibly can, terminating them to make room for new processes as necessary... unless people manually close apps, which can leave RAM empty and useless.
    07-23-2014 06:23 AM
    Well, he's right that extra RAM capacity will make zero difference. Other things might..

That RAM is used as a disk cache is incorrect.
    So you don't think it will help processing time between shots on the camera? Especially with HDR? You can run two apps side by side on most flagship androids too, so that will help.

To be honest, like someone mentioned about future proofing, the extra RAM may be for Android L which is due soon. A lot of the new flagship droid devices are coming with 3GB.
    07-23-2014 06:30 AM
    So you don't think it will help processing time between shots on the camera? Especially with HDR? You can run two apps side by side on most flagship androids too, so that will help.
    I know for a fact it will do absolutely nothing for processing time.

If the device can't write images to storage fast enough, then extra RAM capacity could help on that front. It would allow you to make more pictures before encountering that bottleneck, but the bottleneck would still be there all the same. But if that is the problem, then even a 2GB device should easily be able to make half a dozen shots before that becomes noticeable.

I'm not saying there won't be a difference, there might be, but if there is one it won't be due to RAM capacity.

Of course RAM capacity can improve perceived performance in some specific situations, like start up times, because on devices with more RAM many apps can just sit in memory and never need actually be relaunched. That just isn't really an example of faster processing however. It's an example of a device with less RAM having to do more work.
    07-23-2014 07:07 AM

To be honest, like someone mentioned about future proofing, the extra RAM may be for Android L which is due soon. A lot of the new flagship droid devices are coming with 3GB.
    The flagship droid stuff are trying to outdo each other. When all the devices have the same specs they need something 'different' to differentiate. At this point in time the only thing they can really do is throw more specs at it and/or introduce gimmicky features because its at a saturation point where the processing power is starting to overtake the software.

Just like in the PC world it gets to a point where only the highest end items make the biggest differences, and even then those differences only occur in benchmarks where every number counts and/or the most intensive 3d games because they need the most fps. Specs are getting close (rather quickly) to PC's which have slowed down progress considerably in recent years because no one needs millions of gigabytes of ram and millions of gigahertz of speed. That and the competition between Intel and AMD has pretty much ended with Intel destroying AMD and AMD just trying to survive.
    A standard PC nowadays doesn't really need more than 4gb of ram and we have smartphones already getting 3gb....
    07-23-2014 08:11 AM
    well, before i let you all know how i like the Lumia 930 and what issues it may / may not have...
    Have a look at these pics..
    One is my 930 - black arrived today and the other is my partners 930 - black that she bought today!
    Here is a side by side pic with both phones on high brightness...

one perfect black, the other not so much...

20140723_185344-large-.jpg
    20140723_185359-large-.jpg
    07-23-2014 01:43 PM
    I received my L930 yesterday from TESCO direct. So far, touch wood, absolutely no issues whatsoever. It did get very warm when first activated and was both charging and downloading a load of stuff. But since then nothing hotter than my retired Lumia 800. Everything else (except an issue with my network provider - Three) has been fine.

So, in answer to OP, from my perspective there are no issues.
    07-23-2014 02:49 PM
    Of course RAM capacity can improve •perceived• performance in some specific situations, like start up times, because on devices with more RAM many apps can just sit in memory and never need actually be relaunched. That just isn't really an example of faster processing however. It's an example of a device with less RAM having to do more work.
    If adding RAM improves performance in a perceivable way, isn't that a good thing? Of course, the processor runs at the same speed whether it has 3MB or 3GB of RAM, but a smart phone with 3GB will be considerably, and certainly perceivably, faster.

PS fair point above about disk caches on mobile OSs. I had a long day yesterday...
    07-23-2014 03:22 PM
    If adding RAM improves performance in a perceivable way, isn't that a good thing? Of course, the processor runs at the same speed whether it has 3MB or 3GB of RAM, but a smart phone with 3GB will be considerably, and certainly perceivably, faster.

PS fair point above about disk caches on mobile OSs. I had a long day yesterday...
    You are of course correct that perceivable performance improvements are a good thing. The point I'm trying to make is that the performance improvements derived from higher RAM capacities are very specific and far between. It's not that difficult to tally up the situations in which having more RAM on a mobile OS actually contributes to performance improvements, and HDR image processing or image capture time (what was being discussed) isn't on that list.

I suspect this misconception stems from experiences with PCs, where opening a lot of applications and not having enough RAM will cause a desktop OS to swap memory pages out to storage, which really will slow any PC to a crawl. But that just isn't how mobile OSes work. Mobile OSes just terminate the least often used app, which ensures everything always fits nicely into memory, hence no general or across the board performance improvements from more memory.

BTW:
    People who manually close apps on principle, are killing one of the few performance benefits devices with more RAM provide, because it will force an app to relaunch, instead of potentially being able to just switch to the app that is already in memory.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-23-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-23-2014 04:22 PM
    You are of course correct that perceivable performance improvements are a good thing. The point I'm trying to make is that the performance improvements derived from higher RAM capacities are very specific and far between. It's not that difficult to tally up the situations in which having more RAM on a mobile OS actually contributes to performance improvements, and HDR image processing or image capture time (what was being discussed) isn't on that list.

I suspect this misconception stems from from experiences with PCs, where opening a lot of applications and not having enough RAM will cause a desktop OS to swap memory pages out to storage, which really will slow any PC to a crawl. But that just isn't how mobile OSes work. Mobile OSes just terminate the least often used app, which ensures everything always fits nicely into memory, hence no general or across the board performance improvements from more memory.

BTW:
    People who manually close apps on principle, are killing one of the few performance benefits devices with more RAM provide, because it will force an app to relaunch, instead of potentially being able to just switch to the app that is already in memory.
    Increasing the number of "running" apps held in memory isn't the only benefit of more RAM (for Android - I can't speak for other mobile OSs). On devices with more RAM, Android may allow an app extra space, which the app can use for more caching, etc. This page has some details - Managing Your App's Memory | Android Developers . So an app written to take advantage of this may run faster on a device with more RAM than an equivalent device with less. There may also be cases where the garbage collector can be less aggressive, which may also help. This is a complex area.

I generally agree with you about closing apps on principle. I guess you could think of situations where it will help a little (by saving the small amount of time this takes when the OS does it because memory is under pressure) but in general it's best to leave it to the OS.
    07-23-2014 04:46 PM
    Increasing the number of "running" apps held in memory isn't the only benefit of more RAM (for Android - I can't speak for other mobile OSs). On devices with more RAM, Android may allow an app extra space, which the app can use for more caching, etc. This page has some details - Managing Your App's Memory | Android Developers . So an app written to take advantage of this may run faster on a device with more RAM than an equivalent device with less. There may also be cases where the garbage collector can be less aggressive, which may also help. This is a complex area.
    On a device with more RAM, WP can also afford apps more memory. No difference.

However, while you are theoretically correct that apps could use some of that extra space for more caching (assuming that even makes sense for an app, which for most it just wouldn't), the real question is not what apps could do, but what they actually do. I'm not aware of a single app that uses memory in that way. Most senior developers would frown on such an approach, because software that behaves differently based on how much memory it can allocate, which on Android can change between sessions, is notoriously hard to test. Particularly on Android you'd also risk causing your users endless frustration, as your app will sometimes perform better, based on one set of caching rules, while another time it will perform worse, based on another set of caching rules. Most users will think your app is just out of control and behaving arbitrarily.

What do apps then use that extra memory for? Typically it's more along the lines of higher resolution textures in games, or buffering a larger segment of an audio/video stream. Stuff like that. Not dynamic caching schemes.

So, while you are correct in theory, it doesn't make a difference in practice.

Anyway, I'll let you have the last word. It's an interesting topic, but this isn't the right thread.
    07-23-2014 05:17 PM
    However, while you are theoretically correct that apps could use some of that extra space for more caching (assuming that even makes sense for an app, which for most it just wouldn't), the real question is not what apps could do, but what they actually do.

What do apps then use that extra memory for? Typically it's more along the lines of higher resolution textures in games, or buffering a larger segment of an audio/video stream. Stuff like that. Not dynamic caching schemes.
    I did say "caching, etc", and I was thinking of a fairly broad definition of caching. :-) As you say, a good example would be extra buffering of audio/video streams. A browser might keep extra tabs in memory rather than having to reload them (I'm fairly sure Chrome and Opera on Android do this).

Improved graphics quality in games is another good example. This is particularly important as we move beyond HD resolutions - although I can't remember if this is relevant to whatever phone we were actually discussing in this thread.

So, while you are correct in theory, it doesn't make a difference in practice.

Anyway, I'll let you have the last word. It's an interesting topic, but this isn't the right thread.
    I'm not looking for the last word, but don't your excellent examples demonstrate that extra memory may bring real improvements in practice? :-)
    07-24-2014 04:39 AM
83 1234