I really want one ... BUT so many issues!?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
And if you live in a place like Finland where half the year is "gloves on"-weather, high sensitivity touch is really valuable. And no, the solution to achieve that on "run of the mill Android phone #352135" is not to put some conductive goo stuff on your gloves :D

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Remember that people will always talk up about the bad stuff, but when something is good you won't hear about it...this principle doesn't just apply to phones!

I've got a Lumia 930 and an iPhone5S as a work phone, I used to have an iPhone (3G and a 4) for about 4 years overall and a Samsung Galaxy S3 for 2 years.

Overall I'm satisfied...not over joyed...but satisfied with the 930 and Windows Phone. I find the OS is smooth and very fast - definitely the fastest out of all 4 major mobile OS's - and the phone feels nice to hold, albeit a bit chunky and feels well built.

To talk about the negatives I find in WP -

1. Windows Phone can be a bit buggy. Xbox Music randomly closes when selecting or changing songs for example, this also happens with all apps - random closes.

2. Browsing the web is horrible in Internet Explorer, presumably because many sites were not heavily tested and optimised for Microsoft's mobile OS browser. I normally fall back to my iPhone if I need to do something important/urgent. Example - try positing a new discussion or reply on the Microsoft Community site, it's more difficult that it should be. It also doesn't play nice with some mobile versions of sites like it will reload the whole page to refresh an advert...argh%"?#!!!

3. I'd like more privacy options to hide notifications from LiveTiles (i.e. just show a message is there, rather than who it's from and what it says etc.).

4. I miss Google Maps, but Nokia Here is a good alternative.

5. The keyboard is tricky. I've had the 930 for 4 days now and I still send messages by accident. It doesn't auto-capitalise very well like iOS and it's REALLY hard to position the cursor where you want to type. Copy and Pasting is also difficult because the cursor issue.

6. Some personal annoyances. For example you can Bing search for something using the Search soft key at the bottom of the phone, but you can't open up the results in a separate tab so you can line up multiple results for reading in Internet Explorer. When you select one it takes you to that site straight away.

On the phone -

1. The back creaks when you press the polycarbonate near the camera lens.

2. The camera is bad at capturing motion images (ends up being blurry).

3. Battery life could be better, it lasts the day at the moment but as we all know...batteries get worse over time. It's better than my Samsung S3, but the 5S will just about go 48 hours despite being used more than my 930 for e-mails, push notifications and phone calls. The 930 has the definition of an "average" battery life for a modern smartphone.

4. Loud speaker is weak, especially for the alarm which has a fixed volume and I worry it will struggle to wake me up if I'm deep asleep. Again here I'd use my iPhone alarm in combination.

Overall though it is a great phone, and I have all the apps I need. If I didn't have my work iPhone it wouldn't be that much of an issue except browsing the web.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in here. I've had my Nokia Lumia Icon for 5 months.

Screen purple tint - Nope.
grey blacks - Nope - black is black unless the sun mode is activated.
bad viewing angle - Nope, great viewing angles.
gets so hot you can fry an egg on it - This is true, but I tend to think it's true for any high powered device with a metal exterior.
not the best battery life - True, but it gets better - and the wireless qi charging makes up for it in my case because I can just keep it on the charger through most of the day anyway.
sluggish keyboard - Not at all, I love this keyboard.
rattly volume buttons - Nope, they feel great.

I'm glad you decided to take the dive. The device is great. The loudest voice you'll hear in any device forum is that of complaint. It's human.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting that Nokia/MS didn't get the tint clue when the Icon was released. This tint problem plagued my first two Icons. I returned them. Purple tint at the top, yellowish at the bottom. This was a problem months ago when the Icon was released. People complained about it on the Nokia Support site. So much for QC.

Other than that, no problems whatsoever with the one I have now. The gray blacks only happen in bright sunlight. No battery life problems. It gets hot only with some games. Keyboard is fantastic. No rattles.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
grey blacks
impossible. it's an amoled screen, black colour means that the pixels are turned off.

No, that's wrong. It's not impossible. The software or hardware could be choosing to display grey rather than black. This kind of problem is actually quite common, for (at least) a couple of reasons...
- the phone will translate between the colour representations used by file formats, the OS, graphics hardware and the display itself (sometimes taking into account user settings). This may cause "black" not to be rendered as black in some circumstances.
- don't assume UI designers chose to use black. I've worked with designers who have no understanding of how their designs are actually rendered on screen, and this can be a major source of problems and performance issues.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I got the 930, 1520 and iPhone 5s and am switching every day depending on my mood.
All I can say is that the 5s is a fine piece of hardware+software and I find myself switching back to the 5s quite a lot. Perhaps its the 1-hand-operating size of the 5s thats most important to me.

The 930 and WP 8.1 are great, but still not up when it comes to hardware and software compared to IOS.
The 1520 is huge but has a ?SD-card slot which is of great value.

NEVER drop an unprotected Lumia on concrete...my 930 is pretty damaged and the back cover wont fit like before anylonger. I was lucky that the screen didn't break. This happened to a friend of mine and repair costs are hilarious at Nokia. Got a leather flip case now ;).
The same happened to my 5s and besides some tiny cuts on the silver frame its all good.

What I really love on the Lumias are the stereo/dolby microphones which a great for taping concerts.

Torn.... :)

So both you and a friend dropped 930s within days of release and they already know the repair cost. That is really impressive. I also find the iPhone comment interesting since you can't go to any sizeable US city without finding numerous places to repair cracked iPhone screens. I consider them to be nice devices but you happen to have called out what is probably the biggest complaint about iPhones and one I have heard numerous times from those who have them. Oh, how does the back not quite fit on a device which, last time I checked, does not have a removable back?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
All I can talk about is my experience so far so:

I have the Lumia 930, LG G3, Galaxy S5 and IPhone 5s and out of all these phones I have been leaning more towards the Lumia 930. Its the phone I grab every time before going out the door....

I havn't had any purple screen issues with my phone and i think the viewing angles are really good, mine gets hot at times when playing games but so does all my other phones I have and it isn't really any problems. My 930 battery drained quite quick initially however after about 4 charges I am easily getting a full day out of the phone again this isn't a problem as I charge my phones over night anyway, keyboard is really good with the swift style keyboard dont understand the comment about sluggish keyboard!! there is a rattle but I think its the camera sensor IOS just like the 1020 but to be honest its hardly noticeable.

I am really, really chuffed i bought the Lumia 930, I am getting to grips with the camera and to be honest most of the photos I take I am really impressed with, the design is superb and deffo a head turner (if you have the green version like mine or the orange version) it just looks fantastic. I have used plenty of phones in the past and end up selling them as i get bored quite quick but i can honestly say i am really liking this phone, its a keeper......

What do other people think ????

PS the Windows OS is superb also, just a slight lack of Apps but deffo getting better.................:p
What Windows Phone has that other devices has is this thing I call "style". No other device does what this one does in the way that it does it. With style.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So both you and a friend dropped 930s within days of release and they already know the repair cost. That is really impressive. I also find the iPhone comment interesting since you can't go to any sizeable US city without finding numerous places to repair cracked iPhone screens. I consider them to be nice devices but you happen to have called out what is probably the biggest complaint about iPhones and one I have heard numerous times from those who have them. Oh, how does the back not quite fit on a device which, last time I checked, does not have a removable back?

The 930 back cover can be removed quite easily by using fe. a suction cup or whatever they are called. It's not supposed to be user removed and will probably void warranty, but it's not hard to do, thus it probably isnt impossible that what he says is true.

That said, iPhone being more durable cos of that anecdotal example he gave is just bullcrap. The iPhone might fall 10 times to concrete and survive or it might drop once and shatter. Same goes for 930 and every other phone. But sure, some phones are probably more durable by design, but iPhone is most certainly not one of them.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The 930 back cover can be removed quite easily by using fe. a suction cup or whatever they are called. It's not supposed to be user removed and will probably void warranty, but it's not hard to do, thus it probably isnt impossible that what he says is true.

That said, iPhone being more durable cos of that anecdotal example he gave is just bullcrap. The iPhone might fall 10 times to concrete and survive or it might drop once and shatter. Same goes for 930 and every other phone. But sure, some phones are probably more durable by design, but iPhone is most certainly not one of them.

Had a 1020 day it came out, dropped from waist height and screen shattered, had iPhone few years ao and sat on it with it in back pocket and shattered. its all relative, its glass and depends on angle, vibrations etc.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had Blackberries all the way back to their first in-color model, and I've bought and maintained Iphones and Androids for others and have usually encountered problems. Blackberries had a well deserved reputation for being rock-solid but I never left well enough alone and constantly installed beta OS leaks and was an early porter-over of Android apps. Constantly fiddling with a device can push its limits and create problems where none exist for the overwhelming majority of non-tweaking users. This website, IMHO, brings together a lot of people who like to fool around with their devices and to try and get pre-release versions of the OS and apps and we like to talk and crank and brainstorm about work-arounds, etc. The net result of this is a perhaps faulty impression that all of the devices we talk about are riddled with defects, when they are not.

In my experience, WP's are very stable, solid devices. I was surprised that my daughter bought a low-end WP on her own, and while she has a history of being brutal on her previous devices, (iPhones and Androids) she really hasn't complained at all about it. No manufacturer is perfect, and I did have to send back a 1520 with a defective camera, but the build quality has been fine. I'm sure others have answered, but your list of complaints have largely been addressed or exaggerated (in the sense that they are not widespread). Battery life and heating was a problem early on, but has been corrected and is now terrific on both counts. The keyboard is anything but sluggish. I don't know from colors and I certainly don't have any complaints whatsoever about the screen/display which is spectacular. Viewing angle is limited only by genetics.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Same with my 520. Dropped twice at chest height face first. It was one of them drops that exploded the phone in 3 directions...screen, back cover and battery came apart. But yet not one scratch or dent. Then one day, sat on the toilet it fell out at a low level and shattered the screen. Not at all gutted...needed a valid reason to buy a Lumia 1520 and now got one in a protective case lol

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
My black 930 arrived today.... my first and very early impressions are good, it does have the purple hue issue but when the colour profile is adjusted it looks fine.. the overall ui seems to be a lot snappier than the 925 on dev preview that I've been using, also web browsing seems faster and there is a world of difference when U play a graphics hungry game like asphalt 8, even games like hillclimb racing the whole experience seems more fluid...,
The camera in auto mode does seem to struggle a little with low light but when put in manual mode is better than the 925,
The handset feels a bit unwieldy compared to my 925 as the straight edges seem harder to grip... phone is absolutely no hotter than my 925 Or 800,
Battery seems the same as 925 but ill be putting that to the test over the next few days,
I feel the volume and power switches protrude a little bit too much but won't matter when cover goes on.
All said I'm happy with it and feel its well made and worthy of flagship status..... go on get one U won't be disappointed.....

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My black 930 arrived today.... my first and very early impressions are good, it does have the purple hue issue but when the colour profile is adjusted it looks fine.. the overall ui seems to be a lot snappier than the 925 on dev preview that I've been using, also web browsing seems faster and there is a world of difference when U play a graphics hungry game like asphalt 8, even games like hillclimb racing the whole experience seems more fluid...,
The camera in auto mode does seem to struggle a little with low light but when put in manual mode is better than the 925,
The handset feels a bit unwieldy compared to my 925 as the straight edges seem harder to grip... phone is absolutely no hotter than my 925 Or 800,
Battery seems the same as 925 but ill be putting that to the test over the next few days,
I feel the volume and power switches protrude a little bit too much but won't matter when cover goes on.
All said I'm happy with it and feel its well made and worthy of flagship status..... go on get one U won't be disappointed.....

Maybe my phone is the good one, or I'm lucky or something, but I cannot see any purple hue. Is there a way of showing it up?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Ive told my gf not to bother with the 930. Its just not much of a step up from the 920 and the camera is worse in darker situations. Megapixels don't mean jack. I'm just using the Wpcentral app right now and the bottom right corner is very hot. Oh yea and no glance, I didn't think I would miss it from my old 920 but I do.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
Well i really love Windows o/s, the smoothness is second to none so please talk me into buying a 930 lol

Over the years i have had a few different windows phones and my last was a lumia 1520 but i had to get rid of it within 1 week as no notifications and no keyboard swype killed it for me (also the screen registering swipes as taps etc)
I said to myself at the time if this had notifications and swype i could ditch android for good!
Android is ok but just too messy and overly complicated in my opinion, The app store is great obviously but after the initial wow of so many apps i just end up having a small handful that i use anyway!
iPhone well been there done that, Just not my thing although iPads are great for easy surfing in bed etc!

Now that win 8.1 is out and after the press release for the lumia 930 i was in love (This WILL be my next phone!)
Problem is after reading through this forum it seems like nothing but problems... :(

To list a few..

Screen purple tint
grey blacks
bad viewing angle
gets so hot you can fry an egg on it
not the best battery life
sluggish keyboard
rattly volume buttons
etc :(

I guess what i'm appealing for here is there people on this forum with no issues and happy with their phone?

Unfortunately, mine has every one of these issues except for the heat thing. It gets warm, but not hot. Keyboard is ok for me but autocorrect is terribly slow and thus unusable (this is probably a WP8.1 issue, though).

The screen just plain sucks on mine - lousy viewing angles, purple tint, unsharp while scrolling.

That said - I've had the Galaxy S5 and compared to that one (which is extremely slow), I still prefer the 930. The HTC M8 is a much better device, though, but I've grown tired of Google / Android. I'll be switching to the iPhone 6 if Microsoft isn't able to fix the issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb