I was hoping to hear some feedback from 930 owners who use wireless charging. My 920 after havy use for over 1 years is getting it's USB port worn out and it's really hard to get it charging at times, not to mention to connect it to a PC when the charger keeps popping out. This isn't just normal wear and tear, but I was away from home this one time and had to use this charger meant for a SGS4 and since that no USB cable ever fit my phone properly anymore.

Anyways, this time I want to make sure I won't loosen the port after a few years of daily charging (I dislike that fe. Nokia doesnt do the old round chargers anymore, my N8 had both USB port and that and it was the best solution IMO. Anyways, to the actual questions.

Since I havn't had a wireless charger before, I'm looking at the DT900, although still terribly expensive around here (found 49 euros delivered cheapest), I suppose this will work just fine on the 930, it is a standard, after all?

I've heard the devices get hotter than with normal charging, I'm sorta afraid that this might cause some level of damage in the long run?

How does it work when charging for example over night? I suppose it stops charging when phone is at full capacity? What about when it drops that 1% over the night, will it mak the charging sound again and light up the screen? Would sorta suck if this happened several times a night.
    07-21-2014 02:46 PM
    I can only comment on my one time using the wireless charger included with the phone which i tried last night. Made sure that the phone was charging when i went to bed, woke up to find battery at 50%?! Went to bed on 46%, so must have stopped charging pretty quickly, although I do leave my phones on in Airplane mode at night, so it may have got higher and then drained.

Most annoying phone ever for charging at night is the LG G2, which makes a loud audible tone when it gets to 100%. Woke me up all the time when I had it and now my wife uses it as her phone, it still wakes me up!
    jm4cc likes this.
    07-21-2014 02:53 PM
    I can only comment on my one time using the wireless charger included with the phone which i tried last night. Made sure that the phone was charging when i went to bed, woke up to find battery at 50%?! Went to bed on 46%, so must have stopped charging pretty quickly, although I do leave my phones on in Airplane mode at night, so it may have got higher and then drained.

Most annoying phone ever for charging at night is the LG G2, which makes a loud audible tone when it gets to 100%. Woke me up all the time when I had it and now my wife uses it as her phone, it still wakes me up!
    Yea I read your message in the other thread which sorta inspired me to start this thread. I wanted to make sure that behavior like that is not very typical, otherwise I can't justify paying 50€ for a charger that isn't even reliable enough and potentially very annoying if used while sleeping :P
    07-21-2014 02:56 PM
    I used to wireless-ly charge my Lumia 920 overnight all the time with the DT900. I had no issues, battery always at 100% in the morning and no sounds when charge was complete. Functioned exactly like it would hard wired.

As far as the Lumia 930 goes, the UK version came with a wireless charger but it is a smaller circular shape. I find it a lot more difficult to find the charging "sweet-spot" and I believe that may be your issue, amdybg40. I guess the smallest move will cause it to stop charging.
    07-21-2014 02:58 PM
    I used to wireless-ly charge my Lumia 920 overnight all the time with the DT900. I had no issues, battery always at 100% in the morning and no sounds when charge was complete. Functioned exactly like it would hard wired.

As far as the Lumia 930 goes, the UK version came with a wireless charger but it is a smaller circular shape. I find it a lot more difficult to find the charging "sweet-spot" and I believe that may be your issue, amdybg40. I guess the smallest move will cause it to stop charging.
    Yeah, that thing would be a decent amount cheaper around here too, but I figured it's not really worth it, seeing that my charger will be for a stationary use and I dont want to risk bumping it off the charger or anything when that round charger only covers like half the phone :P
    07-21-2014 03:02 PM
    Since I havn't had a wireless charger before, I'm looking at the DT900, although still terribly expensive around here (found 49€ euros delivered cheapest), I suppose this will work just fine on the 930, it is a standard, after all?
    I have the DT-901 and it works fine with the 930 - I think the DT-900 is identical to the 901, besides the 901 Comes with a Fatboy pillow which I like very much (but of course it is not necessary to have it, althought I think the phone lies more comftably and more softly on the pillow).

I agree its pretty expensive, but it's worth it. I don't think I can ever use a phone without wireless charging again, not having to fiddle around with the cable every day is really neat.

I've heard the devices get hotter than with normal charging, I'm sorta afraid that this might cause some level of damage in the long run?
    It gets very warm during charging, yes. The whole phone, no specific spot. But I won't say hot. Actually, during charging, it does not get as hot as the 930 gets when using resource intensive apps like the browser or gaming. I don't fear charging will do any harm ... while the amount of heat that is produced during browsing or gaming is a level where I'm NOT so sure about this ... :)

How does it work when charging for example over night? I suppose it stops charging when phone is at full capacity? What about when it drops that 1% over the night, will it mak the charging sound again and light up the screen? Would sorta suck if this happened several times a night.
    Yes, it stops just fine. For the 2nd question, I can't guarantee it because I might just not have noticed it ... but I never woke up or noticed that the charger would start charging again. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any sounds or light up the display IF it starts charging again ... but as it is good practice to NOT start charging a battery that is nearly 100 % full, I highly doubt the charger would re-charge lost 1 or 2 % again anyway.
    07-21-2014 03:02 PM
    I found a fairly cheap used DT900 from this local online auction so I just bought it.

I agree that I would've wanted the Fatboy pillow just for the extra "security" of keeping it in place, but I hear it's not picky if there is a bit of fabric or something between the charger and the phone. Chances are I'll have my fiancee make a custom "pillow" for the charger :P
    07-21-2014 03:08 PM
    i bought a cheap chinese about 8 charger for my 925 (and a back case...) and have no problems at all... charges ok and just takes about the same time as the regular charger... happy!!!
    07-21-2014 03:17 PM
    I've had the small round one. It was really hard to charge your phone with that - constantly looking for the sweet spot, every touch would move the phone out of it and the charging stopped and on top of that it was overheating easily.
    So I've bought DT-900 and couldn't be happier.

It's very easy to charge with DT-900 - just lay down your phone and it starts charging :)

It heats up during charging - that's how it works, do not worry about it - all the Nokia chargers stop charging when the phone overheats and start again when it cools down.

As for the sounds/display - it surely does light up and ring a bell when it starts charging again.
    07-21-2014 04:23 PM
    Yeah the UK wireless charger that came with the 930 is a bit annoying, it looks nice but it needs to be right in the middle of the 930 to charge.
    07-22-2014 05:05 AM
    I had the same problem as amdybg40 with my 930 (UK) and the small round wireless charger it came with; started charging for a few minutes then stopping. I've since found that is was the case (CP-637) I had on the phone that was hampering the wireless charging. Perhaps that would be obvious? Anyway, I just slip the case off now - which is really easy to do as it's not a terribly tight fit - and pop it on the charger and it will now charge to 100% with no issues.

I haven't had the 930 a week yet, so I can't comment too strongly yet but a full charge is currently taking up to 2 hours.
    07-22-2014 05:57 AM
    I have CP-637 and DT-900 and it charges without problems, it's just that DT-601 (small, round one) is lousy at best.
    07-22-2014 06:04 AM
    Ah - that makes sense also. I think I'm going to keep the DT-601 for work and the DT-900 (when it arrives from the free bundle) for home.
    07-22-2014 06:17 AM
    Mine charges fine on the small round plate but has anyone noticed the noise it makes when charging? I cant use the plate at night as its pretty annoying so have resorted back to the USB.

Sent from my HTC One X using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-22-2014 07:10 AM
    I can't get mine to charge on the one that came in the box, I was hoping to use it on my desk. It seems to take forever to figure out its on there before it will start charging and sometimes not all, maybe I'm placing it on wrong but I've tried different angles and nothing. I thought it was maybe the USB port on my PC not supplying it enough power but tried it with the mains adapter too.

I've got the larger DT-900 charger as well and it charges fine from that but does make a very odd ticking sound, very faint but its there. This could the same sound you're hearing as well, Br1an_g.
    07-22-2014 09:39 AM
    Yeh martin its not loud and when there is normal background noise you don't notice it but when its next to my bed at night I definitely tune in, sort of pulsing ticking sound as the battery charges.
    I found the small plate needs to be just below centre of the phone to get the best connection.
    07-22-2014 10:16 AM
    I've now got 4 wireless chargers! (check me out! lol)

A cheap Chinese one which caused the phone to get hot....
    My original Nokia 920 one, which is now up by my bed for over night charging.
    the small round one which is downstairs in the dining room,
    and the bundle, wireless wireless charger which I haven't used yet, but perfect for travelling.

As for the sweet spot, the wireless charging coil is about a 30mm radius around the 'nokia' symbol on the back - the NFC spot is behind the camera.
    07-22-2014 10:29 AM
    My 930 does get warm on a full wireless charge but never hot. There is a slight balancing act with the round charging plate to ensure that it does start charging but the screen lights up when you've successfully started or if it's completely off, then the charging plate has a indicator light that only illuminates while charging is taking place.
    07-22-2014 12:15 PM
    I can't get mine to charge on the one that came in the box, I was hoping to use it on my desk. It seems to take forever to figure out its on there before it will start charging and sometimes not all, maybe I'm placing it on wrong but I've tried different angles and nothing
    Someone else had a similar problem before they figured out they had the charging plate the wrong way up!
    07-22-2014 02:15 PM
    In anticipation of getting the L930 I bought a blue fatboy pillow from Amazon UK; the blue mustn't be popular as it was being sold at below the cost of a black DT-900 (unfortunately, it is now at silly prices again). The phone does get warm but not worryingly so.
    07-23-2014 03:15 PM
    I'm scratching my head as to why people are finding the in-box charger hard to use. I can place the phone, with or without case, onto the charger. The light comes on on the base and ... presto!
    07-23-2014 03:32 PM
    I use a cheap Chinese charger, put it on a tilted stand so I can read the phone at night and to insure it's on the sweet spot.
    Note that if you're not exactly on the sweet spot the lamp on the charger may light, because the phone's coil is close enough, but still the phone won't charge. So always check the phone's battery symbol for charging.
    The charger + phone will get warm, but since the charge current is limited the phone may even get hotter if you use a wired charger that charges faster. At night it charges from 20% to 100% in ca. 3 hours, and after that it charges regularly to keep the battery topped up (can see that in my battery app).
    Anyhow, it saves a lot of fumbling in the dark trying to get the u-usb connector in (usually upside down first ;-)).
    Last edited by WinSammie; 07-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    07-23-2014 03:49 PM
    I bought a 'universal' wireless charging kit for my wifes 630, when I placed the wireless coil (NOT connected to the phone) onto the charger, the LED lit up.

So WinSammie is correct, listed for the noise, or check the screen - it usually lights up when it starts charging anyway - but the little LED is not necessarily a guarantee that it's taking charge.
    07-24-2014 02:13 AM