L930: Heat linked to screen discoloration?!

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
As many L930 owners I'm seeing two issues with this phone:
  • Heat in the bottom right corner
  • Grey UI panels showing a lighter shade of gray in bottom right corner. A gradient is essentially visible from dark to light, top left to bottom right.

You see where I'm going with this... Could there possibly be a correlation between the two? If the phone feels this hot on the outside, imagine how hot is is just underneath the display panel.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Last I heard the overheating is somehow related to bluetooth. One of my friends has a Lumia 930 and noticed that the device is much cooler with bluetooth disabled. Not sure if it's just coincidence though, but you might wanna give it a shot.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth and NFC have no effect on the heat for me. The heat is not that bad for me to be honest, buy the discoloration is getting on my nerves.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Last I heard the overheating is somehow related to bluetooth. One of my friends has a Lumia 930 and noticed that the device is much cooler with bluetooth disabled. Not sure if it's just coincidence though, but you might wanna give it a shot.

I always have bluetooth and NFC turned off and the phone still heats. However, after the initial set up, it only heats upon heavy usage, just like any other phone.

Last edited:

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
My bottom right corner was getting pretty warm without Bluetooth being switched on.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
As many L930 owners I'm seeing two issues with this phone:
  • Heat in the bottom right corner
  • Grey UI panels showing a lighter shade of gray in bottom right corner. A gradient is essentially visible from dark to light, top left to bottom right.

You see where I'm going with this... Could there possibly be a correlation between the two? If the phone feels this hot on the outside, imagine how hot is is just underneath the display panel.

Haven't seen any display issues, even with a hot bottom right corner. After almost a week, the heat issue has almost gone.

I've checked the temperature several times with a thermal imaging camera (from work), my 930 hasn't gotten above 43 degrees Celsius even when charging.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have 2 issues which I would like to have you fellow L930 owners view on
- the discoloration issue: as said by others, there is a purple hue on OS screens that should be grey --> assume this can be fixed by software
- light bleeding in right bottom corner. My screen shows a gradient from black to dark grey on black OS screens. I had a similar issue on an old iPad and I believe this is referred to as light bleed.

My question: do any of you L930 owners not have the light bleed issue? If so I might go back to the shop and see if I can get one without the issue.

nexialbinding

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
My question: do any of you L930 owners not have the light bleed issue? If so I might go back to the shop and see if I can get one without the issue.

I can confirm that my 930 does not have an uneven lighting or discoloration. The entire screen is the same across its surface. I also do not have the overheating problem. I do, however, have the purple tinted grays.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Funny enough. When 920 came out there where so many issues, but I got mine first day it came out and had no issues at all. I know there was some overheating and battery problems but they were fixed with updates, so to all of you having problem with wrongly lit screen, I would try to get a new one since I bet they are already producing a new batch. As for the screen discoloration, I do get that but it looks like it a software issue and I bet it will be fixed as well as overheating which must be caused by one of the apps or background processes, it will be fixed too. Overall it's the phone I've been waiting for and a great replacement to my 920!!!

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I don't have the issue. There's purple tint but across the whole display. And there should be no light bleed because OLED panels are not backlighted.
Definitely return the phone.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that my 930 does not have an uneven lighting or discoloration. The entire screen is the same across its surface. I also do not have the overheating problem. I do, however, have the purple tinted grays.

Thanks nexialbinding and others for replying. I guess there is an issue with this display panel then. It best visible in the dark, with high brightness setting and a black background (not the OS black, a black picture).

jm4cc

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Have a look at these pics..

One is my 930 - black arrived today and the other is my partners 930 - black that she bought today!
Here is a side by side pic with both phones on high brightness...

one perfect black, the other not so much...

20140723_185344 (Large).jpg20140723_185359 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Mine is definitely black in lowlight, that looks like some crappy IPS screen and I would definitely try a full reset then if it's not resolved - return it.

nexialbinding

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site

One is my 930 - black arrived today and the other is my partners 930 - black that she bought today!

Definitely return the right one. It's a hardware defect.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I

View attachment 73100View attachment 73101

I'm very confused now... The issue for me is not visible when displaying the pure black OS screens with white text. It's only noticeable when a black or very dark image file is displayed.

Something I was wondering: could it be the backlight of the home/back/search keys bleeding through?

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Royally pissed off now. Went to the shop to have it replaced. Came back home, same issue...
The shop assistant was very supportive and we tried identifying one in the shop that did not have the issue, but it's not so easy to spot in a brightly lit shop. I thought we had chosen one without the issue, but once I got home and tried it in a darker room, the same issue is there. There was a suggestion by ZvjerOPC on this forum to hard reset and not update the Display app, but the issue is already visible during the first installation pages.

It's not as bad as the previous sample I had, but it's the kind of thing that once you see it, you cannot ignore it anymore. Back to the shop I go I guess...

Pacou90

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have same problem on mine !
My friend have one and it's pure black in high mode, and mine have this grey color not pure black...
Then you think it's hardware or a futur update can fix this ?

Since i got from internet shop i'm afraid to send it back and got a new one with same problem (more or less)... what do you think ?
or i can contact nokia support to get a fix/replacement ?

Thank you

adamfehres

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I got the same issue will have to wait few days till I can get into work but loving it still all the same only does it on high brightness
Sent from my RM-1045_1066 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720