Nokia 930 ois

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Been looking into the blurry photos I've been getting on my 930. Can anyone try this for me and see what results they get.

When I open Nokia camera app and place the 930 on its side perfectly still the focus point moves up and down slightly. Hard to describe its like it's pulsing.

Just noticed it by accident as I was going to do some landscape shots this morning.

Anybody else get the same results or an I just being paranoid.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Been looking into the blurry photos I've been getting on my 930. Can anyone try this for me and see what results they get.

When I open Nokia camera app and place the 930 on its side perfectly still the focus point moves up and down slightly. Hard to describe its like it's pulsing.

Just noticed it by accident as I was going to do some landscape shots this morning.

Anybody else get the same results or an I just being paranoid.

I put it on its side and the focus point moves down (I believe this is because the phone itself is moving into a stable position on its side...), but once it is stable it doesn't move around.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I put it on its side and the focus point moves down (I believe this is because the phone itself is moving into a stable position on its side...), but once it is stable it doesn't move around.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a faulty camera sensor as my 1020 secured in it's camera grip sits perfectly still so it may just be a fault with mine. Just wanted to check if anyone else had noticed it. Off to o2 tomorrow to have it exchanged.

Aquadextrous

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this as well. If the phone is standing on its edge and perfectly still in camera mode, and I tilt the phone slightly forward and then back so its stable for a second or two the camera image still moves, usually as if its panning slightly upwards. I only noticed because I was trying to hold the phone as steady as I could to take a photo and couldn't seem to keep the screen still.

The other thing with the camera is that if the light levels are anything other than very strong light / sunlight the image is very grainy looking. Once the photo is taken they dont seem as bad as the screen shows before, I don't know, there just seem to be lots of little niggles with the camera. Maybe I've been spoiled by owning a 920 and 1020 before this, but I'm just not so impressed by the 930.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Please let me know what they say at O2, as I have the exact same thing.

Confirmed by an O2 guru as a faulty phone sensor. I actually had the phone sitting on the table in the O2 shop on it's side, with the camera app open it was moving across all axis. Girl tried another handset and set it up just to check it wasn't a faulty batch but this one was rock solid and didn't move once it initially settled. Straight exchange without any problem. She tried her 1020 and it was the same perfectly still once the ois kicked in.

Haven't set the rest of the phone up yet but will test some shots on it later.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed by an O2 guru as a faulty phone sensor. I actually had the phone sitting on the table in the O2 shop on it's side, with the camera app open it was moving across all axis. Girl tried another handset and set it up just to check it wasn't a faulty batch but this one was rock solid and didn't move once it initially settled. Straight exchange without any problem. She tried her 1020 and it was the same perfectly still once the ois kicked in.

Haven't set the rest of the phone up yet but will test some shots on it later.

Wow, which O2 store was that, you should send them some Kudos on Twitter or something. None of the O2 stores where I live have a clue about Windows Phone, yet alone can navigate the features of the camera app!

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow, which O2 store was that, you should send them some Kudos on Twitter or something. None of the O2 stores where I live have a clue about Windows Phone, yet alone can navigate the features of the camera app!

Our local Kilmarnock store, 3 of the gurus from there all have windows phones and one more is making the switch to 1520 for his business phone under my recommendation before. Last time I was in there was a couple buying a phone for their daughter and the guru actually recommended a 630 based on what she needed so we are pretty lucky to have clued up staff and be on o2. Most of the other stores in the area only recommend Apple or Android devices.

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this happening on my 930 too. When placed on a flat surface, the OIS drives the lens down so that the frame ends up being around 2-3 mm lower than when it was first positioned. If I then tilt the phone very slightly (fwd or back), the lens jolts away from the settled position. In normal use, this produces an oscillating effect where by the lens appears to be gently bouncing. Not a major issue, but can make it difficult to line up a steady shot and capture a clean image.

I took my handset back to the shop to exchange, but the other handsets suffered the same problem. It also seems to be a problem in both the Nokia Camera and the stock camera apps, suggesting that the issue is hardware related, assuming the two apps don't share any underlying code.

Slightly disappointed, as Nokia's implementation of OIS has always been a feature that I've been thoroughly impressed with. It should be noted that I can't detect any negative impact on video capture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)