Canadian experience report

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My white 930 arrived yesterday, so I thought I would share my overall experience so far

I ordered mine from Omegacell (last Tues). Never ordered from them before but I'm pretty happy with their service. Cheaper than Expansys, free shipping (UPS with tracking), no PST.

The unit comes with the usual USB cable and plug (UK version), a manual in Chinese, no headphones and no freebie wireless bundle, oh well. They did include an adapter for the plug, but it's very loose so I ended up using my old USB plug.

I won't get into the physical aspects of the device too much, suffice to say that it's gorgeous and indeed feels very premium. I haven't notice any of the issues other people reported so far (such as purple tint).

With regards to heat, right out of the box the device started to auto-update a bunch of apps and I can feel the it warm up, but certainly not scorching hot. After that I haven't noticed any significant heat build up while I played with it. One of the first things I did do was to make sure motion data and NFC are off, and also disable background running for some apps I don't use. I'll continue to monitor and tweak these settings as I spend more time with it.

Can't report on battery life yet as this is my first full day with the device.

I'm with Rogers and it looks like I can get LTE; it says "4G" instead of "LTE" but according to Omegacell, that's normal for imported devices.

nexialbinding

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I'll piggyback on your thread a bit to say that I've had basically the same experience as you so far. I purchased a white 930 from Omegacell and it was shipped to me in Toronto after 5 days (didn't move during the weekend) with the standard free shipping. Paid a slice under $700 using a $25-off promotion code (the code is "critics" by the way and seems to work for 930s and 1520s, if not all phones on Omegacell). It arrived today in one piece and is functioning just as I'd expect. I'm very pleased with Omegacell.

The problems I've noted with the phone so far include: grays appearing as purple when the brightness is low, text blurring and fading when you scroll quickly, and a very long pause between waking the phone and having the screen actually come on (a full 1-second delay, feels very sluggish on an otherwise speedy phone). All of those problems have been noted by others here and are probably software issues. I've had no hardware problems though, as far as I can tell, although I've only owned the device for a few hours at this point.

Slightly disappointed with the camera, although I haven't tested it in the sunlight yet, which is where it should pull ahead of my old 920. Low-light shots are grainy and dark in comparison to my 920 though, which is a shame.

Reception and data is fine on Rogers just as OP stated himself. I will also update my post when I have more to add about my experience with the 930. Thanks for sharing OP!

ladyruri

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
bought mine off ebay for $600
seems to be a HK variant
works like a charm on Rogers network
shows 4G and not LTE as it seems UK/EU and rest of asia uses the word 4G on their handsets
anyways getting about 60 mb/s speed in my area, not sure how cause I thought Rogers actually need band 4 for LTE to work but I guess as long as you have 2100 MHz (download) on your device then your all good

bites

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine the other day, mine came with the wireless charging plate (dt-601) but no headphones. On Rogers in Vancouver and so far it's running great. SMS and MMS have no issues. Surprising I do get LTE speeds but the phone says 4G (as the previous poster said). 4G coverage is spotty but I am not complaining. On average the speedtest are 55 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up.

bites

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I ordered from Expansys. My friend order a 930 also and didn't get the charging plate. Mine was from the UK and his from France. I believe the wireless charging plate only comes from the UK

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Very curious whether or not you guys indeed are on LTE. On all the Lumias I've previously owned (including my current 1520), it'll either say H+ or 4G for HSPA+, and clearly say LTE for LTE.

I'm based in the U.S. and know I won't get LTE with the Lumia 930, but it may still be worth it if HSPA+ speeds are comparable.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a 930 from expansys on friday, so that means I might get a free wireless charging plate? sweet deal :D
Im on the telus network so I wont get LTE for sure (out of the big 3 only telus doesn't have band 7 support). I'll see what kind of #G it says when I get it and set it up.

bites

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It shows 4G, HSPA+ and 3G. Speedtest.net shows 70+ Mbps, it's got to be LTE. I went in buying the 930 knowing that I was going to loose LTE. This has been a ++ for me having LTE but LTE on 2600 is very spotty.
From what a previous poster said Rogers and Bell have band 7 (2600 Mhz) on top of the AWS (1700, 2100)

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
North American carriers were calling HSPA+ "4G", so when LTE came along, they needed to label it LTE to distinguish the real 4G from FauxG.

That's why our 930's will show 4G when connecting to LTE, because that's what the rest of the world calls it.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I too picked one up last week from OmegaCell, they are very good with customer service, I actually went into the store in Edmonton. The phone does get quite hot on initial startup and setup of apps and stuff but after that I have had no issues. This phone is the HK variant of the 930 so it will only read as 4G if you are with Rogers, all over carriers it will only receive 3G in Canada. If you wish for your phone to show LTE you would have to load a different rom onto it, the Malaysia rom will give you LTE on Rogers.(2600 band), overall im very happy with the device, no issues what so ever so far.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
North American carriers were calling HSPA+ "4G", so when LTE came along, they needed to label it LTE to distinguish the real 4G from FauxG.

That's why our 930's will show 4G when connecting to LTE, because that's what the rest of the world calls it.

Hmm, but I currently have an international unlocked Lumia 1520, and it shows LTE when on LTE. Do the carriers have anything to do with what's labeled if it's an international unlocked phone and not a carrier specific one?

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Depending on the firmware when connected to the same LTE network (Polkomtel) I've seen:

- LTE (Lumia 930 CV PL)
- L (Lumia 925 CV PL)
- 4G (Lumia 925 Vodafone DE)

it's all normal I guess.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So I've been using the 930 for about a week now, and happy to report still no issues with it so far.

The battery gets me through the whole day on light-medium usage (mainly taking and viewing photos, surfing, check mail, whatsapp), though sometimes I do notice it can go down quite fast (or could be because I'm coming from 7.8 and I'm noticing the battery percentage more now that it is at my fingertips).

The only real hiccup I've had, and it's not really anything to do with the phone, is with using the desktop sync app. I must say that app is such a step-backwards from what we had with the Zune software. When I used it to sync my photos it deleted them from the phone and I lost all my living images.

I would say if you're on Rogers and Bell (and Telus if you are willing to sacrifice LTE) and on the fence about getting this phone, you should definitely get it because it is amazing! Don't be scared off by the reports of overheating or faulty displays, naturally people who experienced those problems will voice out on the forums, but there are many more people like myself who have not had any problems. Plus many issues can be addressed with further optimization and bug fixes in future updates.

And perhaps equally important, as fans of WP we need to help spread the word and bring more awareness of the platform and the fantastic Nokia hardware to Canada. The state of WP and how little attention we get here is such a sad joke :angry:

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried to do a bit of texting with whatsapp/your favorite message app?
..or watching videos with the vevo app?
..or capturing some photos, panoramas, refocuses?

These are three of the things that make my 930 heat up the most.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to do a bit of texting with whatsapp/your favorite message app?
..or watching videos with the vevo app?
..or capturing some photos, panoramas, refocuses?

These are three of the things that make my 930 heat up the most.

whatsapp - yes, doesn't really warm up for me
vevo - no, I'll give this a try
photos - yes, played with the Nokia suite of apps a lot, refocus, reframe, storyteller, photo beamer, the unit does get warm, but doesn't seem excessive.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
You should all walk into a Rogers store with your Lumia 930s and tell them how much you love the phone. In fact, talk to them about you even considered Rogers as your provider but decided to opt in with a rival carrier. Ask them that you're thinking about joining Rogers, but want to know if they'll support a new WP, and if not, leave the store saying "too bad."

Also, if your phone becomes scorching hot and you want to make a mortal enemy in life, ask a person to hold your phone :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6