11-08-2014 09:24 AM
67 123
tools
    Am I doing something wrong? I turned on my 930, signed, where are all my app and email accounts from my 920? :D
    You still have to sign in and set up your email accounts and I certainly had to reload all my apps - but was not charged for them as they were previously purchased.
    08-08-2014 07:33 AM
    I'd rather wait for the next Pure MS flagship with WP9 on board and hope MS resolve the heat issue in the future model.
    My first WP device 920 1.5 year ego had the heat issue and my second 930 I return it back and got refund because of the same issue.

Plus I want glance that 930 don't support at all.
    Hope see alternative led notification if again not having glance and larger battery capacity.
    2420 is very little since android flagship like G2 or Z2 have minimum 3000.
    08-08-2014 08:36 AM
    Glance is the ability to hover (no touch) on the device and see time and messages (which I love). Double tap is what wakes the phone up so you don't have to click a button. Does the 930 not support either of these options or just glance?
    08-08-2014 08:59 AM
    Another thing... Is anyone using the 930 in the US on ATT? I heard that the 930 doesn't support the GSM band that ATT uses for their 4G LTE. Which means you won't get the fastest data speeds. I would like confirmation on this.
    08-08-2014 09:00 AM
    Glance is the ability to hover (no touch) on the device and see time and messages (which I love). Double tap is what wakes the phone up so you don't have to click a button. Does the 930 not support either of these options or just glance?
    Just glance not supported on 930.
    Double tap working fine.

The second question I don't know because I'm living in Europe.
    08-08-2014 09:06 AM
    Thanks. Glance is a nice to have; but I don't think I could live without double tap... lol Thanks alextrela
    abduz likes this.
    08-08-2014 11:28 AM
    If I could get a 930 on AT&T with the 1520's battery life, id be happy. :p
    08-08-2014 11:38 AM
    Well, there's no 930 on AT&T so an upgrade wouldn't be an option even if I wanted to.
    08-08-2014 02:09 PM
    Why not wait for Lumia One, with flexible screen youm displays, and which has graphene battery as thin as sheet of paper, nokia was working on graphene and it can last for week, if MS can pull such phone, that would be ideally innovation in stagnant phone markets. There is no innovation now, next thing has to be more flexible, change to any size and graphene battery and charge the phone with solar energy.That would actually be the One from MS. Aaah these fantasies
    08-08-2014 02:26 PM
    Why not to wait for 935?
    Because it will never exist. 925 came out as a new design (plastic + aluminium) which 930 already has too and therefore there is no point of making 935 just to have a slimmer version but with the same internals ( it was also slimmer because 925 didn't have wireless charging built-in and this time around it would be pointless to release the phone without it when Microsoft is pushing even more for this tech.) Also slimness made the phone less durable comparing to 920.!
    That there will never be a 935 doesn't make any sense. Just because the 925 was a slimmer 920 doesn't mean the 935 will follow the same philosophy. That is a fallacy. Things from the past are in no way a guarantee for the future.

Why should I get the 930 anyway? I like Glance ALOT. It is very crucial for me, so the 930 is a bad choice. Some people are no sheep, they have their own opinions, needs and taste you know...

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it, but I will do with my 1320 until the 935 comes (with glance I hope!)
    08-08-2014 02:31 PM
    Who knows. A 935 with an 801 SoC and Xenon flash? :D

I wouldn't rule out a 935 based on bezel shape though, like mentioned above.
    08-08-2014 02:57 PM
    Im a 920 user, but ill wait for a bigger battery. I wish the 940 will have 3000mAH
    08-11-2014 02:33 AM
    How can you call it bulky. It is by far one of the slimmest phones on the market and is by far slimmer than any WP. You need to get a life. Stop moaning about battery life. They ain't gonna improve, it's technology's limit. The battery life of the nokia lumia 930 is above expectations and is good enough by far.
    abduz likes this.
    09-14-2014 03:33 PM
    I got a 2nd hand 920 as a replacement phone because my iPhone 4s broke. I loved it. That is until I got a pebble and realized it couldnt work with WP8. So I used a Xiaomi 1s for 3 months. I got so annoyed but android that I jumped at the chance to get a 930 when my contract was up. Love the 930. Amazing pictures, fast processor (as long as the processor is faster than my 920, I'm happy.), screen looks amazing. Love this phone!
    09-19-2014 01:29 AM
    Pretty much the same here. I had a Lumia 925, changed for Lumia 930 and it's another level. A lot faster, camera is like 5x better, screen is MUUCH better too.

I think it really worth the upgrade, 920/25 are great smartphones, but 930 is so much better...
    09-19-2014 08:27 AM
    Just received a 930 as an upgrade for my 920 on contract, sadly due to the cheapo screen* I'm going to be putting it on eBay and either wait for a 935 or whatever replaces the 1020 or get an 830. The 925 was an update of the 920 that fixed many of it's issues, and as the 930 has it's fair share of issues I fully expect to see a 935/940 in 2015.

*The 930 is a renamed Lumia Icon which was designed by Nokia for Verizon in the US, and as it was designed to a price it features a cheap screen that while bright and high resolution isn't as good as the screens in previous phones hence why it doesn't support Glance (a major feature of Lumias) and why it gets ghosting when scrolling compared to the 920.
    10-17-2014 07:16 AM
    Been a white 920 user from the start and have loved it big time. Haven't got a bad thing to say about it. Upgraded with a heavy heart to an orange 930. WOW, Was worried I would miss my 920, but not at all. Amazing screen, better 8.1 refinements, great battery life. 20MP camera taking appreciably better pictures and videos than my 920. If you loved your 920, get a 930, you would be disappointed. This will keep me going until WP10 comes along..
    10-17-2014 03:43 PM
    It's more compact (as in a smaller body), surround sound (4 mics), aluminium casing. I'm sure there are some other small things but those reasons are already good enough for me, since the 1520 is already great hardware.

Not sure why people complain so much,
    -the hardware itself isn't lacking as it supports the OS really well,
    -it's got a camera that most flagships don't,
    -it's got an amazing surround sound mic (which other flagships don't),
    -screen is of very high res and we can use gloves (most flagships STILL don't have this),
    -double tap to wake (most flagships don't have this either),
    -wireless charging out of the box (most flagships still don't have this either)
    ...and it feels great in the hand; pics really don't do this phone justice.

I actually hesitated to get the 930 when I read that it was bulky, just to my surprise it's not bad at all! The design is done in a smart way as the aluminium profile is the same thickness as iPhone 5s with the back slightly sticking out a bit but it definitely doesn't look bulky. Once again, pics really don't do this phone justice.

My only gripe with it, is overheating and that we can't choose the standard (3 column) tiles as an option, I know this is due to the high res, but I love larger tiles, which makes the latter a personal choice.
    10-25-2014 08:24 AM
    Tell me again how does 930 differentiate from 1520, besides form and battery. It came almost 1 year later. It HAS to be better, at least in some way.
    It's more compact (as in a smaller body), surround sound (4 mics), aluminium casing. I'm sure there are some other small things but those reasons are already good enough for me, since the 1520 is already great hardware.

Not sure why people complain so much,
    -the hardware itself isn't lacking as it supports the OS really well,
    -it's got a camera that most flagships don't,
    -it's got an amazing surround sound mic (which other flagships don't),
    -screen is of very high res and we can use gloves (most flagships STILL don't have this),
    -double tap to wake (most flagships don't have this either),
    -wireless charging out of the box (most flagships still don't have this either)
    ...and it feels great in the hand; pics really don't do this phone justice.

I actually hesitated to get the 930 when I read that it was bulky, just to my surprise it's not bad at all! The design is done in a smart way as the aluminium profile is the same thickness as iPhone 5s with the back slightly sticking out a bit but it definitely doesn't look bulky. Once again, pics really don't do this phone justice.

My only gripe with it, is overheating and that we can't choose the standard (3 column) tiles as an option, I know this is due to the high res, but I love larger tiles, which makes the latter a personal choice.
    10-25-2014 08:27 AM
    I don't want to get the 930 as its basically a Lumia Icon rebranded and its been out almost a year. Why would I sign up to another 2 year contract and get a phone with last years specs? Yea it runs the OS fine and its all snappy and that but I want the latest specs and new features.

You may specs don't matter but there are thousands of people like me who want the best specs ect.
    10-25-2014 08:35 AM
    No glance is a bummer...
    10-25-2014 09:09 AM
    No Glance - No thanks
    10-25-2014 09:16 AM
    I used a 930 on AT&T for about a week before I returned the 930 and got an 830.
    930 works fine on AT&T with the exception of LTE which it won't get. It does get and run very well on AT&T HSPA+ GSM band(s) and, for me, that's plenty fast.

BTW, the 830 has both Glance and double tap (and a replaceable battery and SD card up to 128G), the replaceable battery and SD card slot is huge for me. I can't tell any difference in speed between the 830 (even though it's HW specs are less) and the 930.
    For me, the 830 is much easier to use. The 930 is very thick, heavy and slippery and I had the color bleed problem on the screen and the problem with the phone getting quite hot when using it moderately for chat apps mostly.

:)
    Fred

Another thing... Is anyone using the 930 in the US on ATT? I heard that the 930 doesn't support the GSM band that ATT uses for their 4G LTE. Which means you won't get the fastest data speeds. I would like confirmation on this.
    10-25-2014 03:26 PM
    I don't want to get the 930 as its basically a Lumia Icon rebranded and its been out almost a year. Why would I sign up to another 2 year contract and get a phone with last years specs? Yea it runs the OS fine and its all snappy and that but I want the latest specs and new features.

You may specs don't matter but there are thousands of people like me who want the best specs ect.
    My reply was to DOMINIK DOMINIK, who was wondering what the 930 had better than the 1520.

The rest of my post, is simply to those who are considering upgrading to the 930 from 920, but hesitating due to people naysayers who are focused on the processor rather than the experience, as I've also noticed that some seem to be under the impression that the 830 is a more worthy of a successor to the 920 than the 930, which I wouldn't agree with.

The 930 IS the true successor of the 920; the 920 was already a great phone which still stands its ground today, so the upgrades that were brought with the 930 are definitely more welcome and allow it to be a true successor. The 830 is a true successor to the 820, yes, but definitely not the 920. The only thing the 830 has going for it over the 930, is being slightly slimmer and the SD-Card slot - removable battery isn't considered a hardware upgrade.

To put it simply, if the 930 isn't a successor to the 920, than the iPhone 6 could not be considered a successor to the iPhone 5s. The 920-930 upgrade comes with more advancements than the iPhone 5s-iPhone 6. At the end of the day, what matters is that the hardware works like it should with current trends and if the 920 has managed to pass the test of time, than I'm certain the 930 will too.
    10-26-2014 12:02 PM
    The 920, when released, was one of the most advanced phones ever. First with an optical image stabilisation making it the best cameraphone at the time, first with wireless charging, first with supersensitive display allowing it to be used with gloves, one of the first with 60Hz for fluid animations... It was then updated to receive Glance and Double Tap, which were unheard of with any other phone than Lumias.

It sure was bulky, heavy, had an old SoC and tended to burn through the battery and overheat, but it was, and still is, one hell of a phone.

The 930 is, by today's standards, unnecessarily heavy and bulky, like the 920 was, but far from as advanced. It is even a regression in many areas. 32gb were impressive 2 years ago, not any more; its camera is excellent but not miles above the competition any more, its has no Glance when Androids are getting it, it far outweights other phones without boasting better battery life...

To me the 930 is not a successor to the 920 by any means, other than marketing. Luckily, my 920 is still rock solid and I won't change it anytime soon.
    GohanGautham likes this.
    10-26-2014 12:56 PM
67 123